The attitude towards quadcopters these days is bad...
12Next >
2648 59 2016-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dewayt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 641224 ft
United States

So what would you guys do in this situation?
2016-2-18
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

I'd beat the phuck out of him.  Would be worth the jail time.
2016-2-18
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

Probably call the police, destruction of property is presumably an offence and he had zero justification
2016-2-18
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I for sure would sue him for a new one or at least the repairs. He had no right to do that. A-Wipe!

I've got a couple that lives next door to me that are both civil lawyers and I think I'll ask them if they think there's any reason that someone can complain when I fly mine in my own yard which is an acre.
2016-2-18
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Looks like he's breaking Federal law to me.

I mean, the FAA now views drones no different than a Boeing 747. We have to register them the same way and use tail numbers. It's illegal shoot down or take down a U.S. Aircraft.
2016-2-18
Use props
dewayt
lvl.2
United States

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-19 01:59
Looks like he's breaking Federal law to me.

I mean, the FAA now views drones no different than a B ...

there has been a case already where a person shot down a drone and the judge dismissed all charges..even the firing a weapon in a neighborhood.
2016-2-18
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

dewayt@gmail.co Posted at 2016-2-18 13:44
there has been a case already where a person shot down a drone and the judge dismissed all charges ...

That was before all these new FAA laws, so wonder if the view will change in court.  Destruction of private property is still destruction and in this case he was on a public road not on the fat drunks yard.
2016-2-18
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

Only in America?
2016-2-18
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

Sadly, yes.  I have yet to see anyone mad when I fly, but double standards are a norm here.  
2016-2-18
Use props
wawatusi
lvl.1

United States

dewayt@gmail.co Posted at 2016-2-18 13:44
there has been a case already where a person shot down a drone and the judge dismissed all charges ...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireSto ... l-mischief-36916259

pleaded guilty to criminal mischief
2016-2-18
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

I think many people think Phantoms are recognizing faces and license plates and peering into windows from 100 feet away.  If you have a halfway reasonable person you can show them the FPV and show that it is a wide-angle view and there isn't much fine detail.
2016-2-18
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

dewayt@gmail.co Posted at 2016-2-19 02:44

Ya, I know the case, took place in Kentucky. Man claims drone was spying on his teenage daughter. So he shot down the drone and threatened the owner. The owner was later able to recovered the bird and posted the video online. The video and flight logs proves he wash;t doing anything questionable. The ironic thing about the whole mess is local authorities dropping the firearm charges. I was amazed at the sport the man received despite illegally discharging a weapon in the city and threatening bodily harm to someone. People simply didn't care, any other day of the week so to say, people would have been screaming and begging for gun control etc...not that thats what I want, but the guy risked and threatened lives.

2016-2-18
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Well, it was Kentucky.  Daughter = Girlfriend.
2016-2-18
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-2-18 15:07
Well, it was Kentucky.  Daughter = Girlfriend.

HA!   Sadly, I was thinking that same thing.
2016-2-18
Use props
dewayt
lvl.2
United States

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-19 04:01
Ya, I know the case, took place in Kentucky. Man claims drone was spying on his teenage daughter.  ...

yes this was the case that I was talking about. You are right, even if they didnt make him pay for the mans property he distroyed (and they shouldve), he still discharged a weapon in the neighborhood which they had laws against.  This was totally wrong and never shouldve wound up this way.
2016-2-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dewayt@gmail.co Posted at 2016-2-19 07:51
yes this was the case that I was talking about. You are right, even if they didnt make him pay for ...

I may be wrong, but I thought the prosecutor is appealing that case?
2016-2-18
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-19 07:10
I may be wrong, but I thought the prosecutor is appealing that case?

All i know is the owner of he drone has filed a Federal law suit over it.
Things are about to get real. Just think, it's because of guys like this shooter that the FAA has steped in to regulate drones, ironically, now he's looking at a Federal Law suit over it lol
2016-2-18
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-19 07:01
Ya, I know the case, took place in Kentucky. Man claims drone was spying on his teenage daughter.  ...

One thing I hear from "gun nuts" is that they don't want the government telling them what to do. They don't want a nanny state.
Well, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander. So the same principal should apply to everything? LOL
We have guns in Australia.., but we have to have a "genuine reason" to own one.

The most basic licence is category A and B.., which allows you to have single shot rifles, with 5 round magazines.
To get assault rifles, you need to have a "genuine reason". (Personal protection is not a genuine reason in Australia).
Boring, but safe. Sometimes it's not about having fun, because the risks are too high, and cannot be controlled.

Anyway.., the gun nuts always claim it's because of "freedom" why they should be allowed to keep their guns, the govt can't tell them what to do, etc.
But when it comes to other topics.., they want control and restrictions?

If a gun, is a gun.., then a drone is a drone.
There's no caliber, fire rate or mag size restrictions on guns.., so there should be no camera or signal range limitations on drones.

2016-2-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

If I remember correctly, the guy that swatted the drone out of the sky was drinking, prosecuted or sued, and had to replace the drone.  That's kind of an old case now.
2016-2-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-2-19 14:08
If I remember correctly, the guy that swatted the drone out of the sky was drinking, prosecuted or s ...

Well that was a good outcome.
2016-2-18
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

in that video @ `1:17 what kinda antenna is that!!!
2016-2-18
Use props
PlayDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2294934 ft
Sweden

Troubleshooter Posted at 2016-2-19 07:13
in that video @ `1:17 what kinda antenna is that!!!

keenly observant. It seems to be the enhanced antenna on RC made by operator. So poor performance of the original antenna between bird and RC on P3S compared to P3A/P
2016-2-19
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Kit Walker Posted at 2016-2-19 10:50
One thing I hear from "gun nuts" is that they don't want the government telling them what to do. Th ...

Sounds like you're painting all gun owners with one very large and broad paint brush based on the reckless action of this individual. There is over a 100 million gun owners in the U.S. but yet automobiles claim more lives...almost double the amount taken by a firearm! Keep in mind, the firearm related deaths in this country is reported by the CDC and they do not make a distinction as to the cause. Most of the firearm related deaths in this country are suicide. Those numbers grew with our men and women returning home from war. So spare me the media rhetoric.

Anyhow, I have been extremely vocal about this individual's actions since day one but all people are worried about are "evil drones,"

The media is good about sensationalizing things, if they want people to fear guns, they just run a few gun stories, if they want people to fear drones, they run a few drone stories. Today, their all about drones and why that man isn't in jai
2016-2-19
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

SVTRay, would you mind giving us all links to the source(s) of your statistics?

And dude, it's "they're", as in "they are".

Have a nice day.  
2016-2-19
Use props
jeff957
lvl.2

United States

I was questioned by the police this week when flying my PA. I was in a parking lot near an open field, someone called the police and said I was photographing heir kids in a pool. The cop asked to see the flight record!
I showed and  proved to him that I actually took NO pictures. He left and said you are free to fly the drone This happened in Chino Hills CA (soCal) He did ask to see my drivers license which was in the house, he told me no need to see it.
2016-2-19
Use props
jeff957
lvl.2

United States

By the way whats the difference between taking pictures with a drone and just snapping away with your iPhone...I don't get it.

My good buddies son is in the FBI and spoke to hime about the drone issue yesterday. I does not believe drones will be outlawed but certainly local regulations will be in place all over the country within a short time. no night flying, local regs to follow FFA regs...( don't drink and fly ) etc. Penalties will be stiff. He has seen and heard of drone flyers flying through windows and front doors etc.
2016-2-19
Use props
dewayt
lvl.2
United States

i dont think a cop should be able to ask to see your flight records or pictures on your card or anything based on what someone says...  "hes taking pictures of my kid in the pool"..   really? how do you know that?..  it would be the same thing if a cop said "he told me you were on such and such street taking pictures, i see you have a gps there in your dash, mind if i review it?"..   basically the same thing to me.. the answer will always be  no sir, i was not taking pictures of those people and no you cannot see my flight log either...
2016-2-19
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-20 04:34
Sounds like you're painting all gun owners with one very large and broad paint brush based on the  ...

It seems like you are confusing the term "gun nut".., to mean anyone owning a firearm, however this is not the case. Sorry for the confusion. I like guns too.

I was referring to the people who are unable to see beyond their own wants, in order to have a conversation about legislation.
People who would rather discuss the good parts of guns.., and ignore the ACTUAL problems in an attempt to justify the need for high powered firearms.., simply because they want them. Those people who spout propaganda about governments wanting us to be scared of guns.., etc.
People who choose to ignore discussing the original statement and would rather regurgitate "facts" to justify their wants.

You know the type, yea?

2016-2-19
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Kit Walker Posted at 2016-2-20 04:32
It seems like you are confusing the term "gun nut".., to mean anyone owning a firearm, however this ...

Why should anyone discuss legislation with you simply because your uncomfortable with particular class firearm? You're trying to come across as someone seeking a rational and relevant conversation but yet you start off with insults.

Just think, this all started because some man recklessly discharged a "shotgun." Then you want to discuss assault rifle legislation in the U.S.?

2016-2-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kit Walker Posted at 2016-2-20 07:32
It seems like you are confusing the term "gun nut".., to mean anyone owning a firearm, however this ...

It was not a good idea to use the 'gun nut' label when talking to an American, they are very sensitive about their guns.

2016-2-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dewayt@gmail.co Posted at 2016-2-20 07:26
i dont think a cop should be able to ask to see your flight records or pictures on your card or anyt ...

Nothing wrong with the cop asking to see the flight record, as far as he is concerned it would help clear up the issue. But he cannot insist. And by refusing, you are suggesting you have something to hide. It is always best to co-operate with the law, and in a case like that, it also helps defuse the situation.
2016-2-19
Use props
Flipperman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4224925 ft
France

I'm a keen shooter (target and game) and the rules are clear in the uk - shoot a drone and its criminal damage and you'll lose your shotgun certificate/firearms certificate in the UK. Had a landowner comment to the lad who walks our dog (me and the missus  both work)  about shooting it down and went round to explain the rules/law. He was completely happy once I'd explained where I was flying etc. Our ex Prime s !Minister lives within flight range.......but I suspect the rules will be different if I fly over his house.....even if his close protection team and I are on 'nodding terms' when I jog past his place...
2016-2-19
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-20 08:41
Why should anyone discuss legislation with you simply because your uncomfortable with particular c ...

Me being uncomfortable is not a reason for the discussion on gun legislation.., it's a much bigger topic than what you or I "want" or feel.

Gun nut is an insult to gun nuts. They will have to deal with it just like everyone else needs to deal with insults. Eat some concrete and harden up.

Shotgun/assault rifle is redundant. Regardless my point was about the contradicting attitude towards legislation. I just thought it would be funny to show the link.
2016-2-19
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Kit Walker Posted at 2016-2-20 09:01
Me being uncomfortable is not a reason for the discussion on gun legislation.., it's a much bigger  ...

On the contrary, U.S. gun legislation has always been an emotional response and lacked educated and informative discussion. You're delusional if you think otherwise. Example: generally speaking more children drowned in swimming pools here in the U.S. than killed with a firearm. This isn't rhetoric, it's factual. Last summer my area probably set the record, you couldn't turn on the news without hearing about someone's child drowning. It was heartbreaking and unbelievable. Yet you didn't hear an outcry from people banning swimming pools or discussion about regulating them. As heartbreaking as it was, it simply lacked drama or "feeling" compared to the emotions concerning  firearms. You're what, 2,000 miles away and you'r "feel" you should post your opinion about the subject.

It's always an emotional and feeling subject, never education and factual.
2016-2-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-20 12:54
On the contrary, U.S. gun legislation has always been an emotional response and lacked educated an ...

Sorry to tell you this, but Australia wised up to the children drowning in pools and passed legislation requiring all pools to be fenced with child-proof gates and locks. We did this a long time ago, about the time we banned all semi-automatic guns and pistols. We don't mind laws here that make us all safer.

2016-2-19
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-20 10:07
Sorry to tell you this, but Australia wised up to the children drowning in pools and passed legisl ...

Now don't go getting emotional on me. You're supposed to be devoid of feelings.
2016-2-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-20 13:30
Now don't go getting emotional on me. You're supposed to be devoid of feelings.

Hah, I am devoid of lots of things.... I think most Americans would hate the laws we have, such as:

1. Everyone in a car must wear seatbelts at all times, front or back.
2. All motorcycle riders must wear a helmet at all times.
3. All cycle riders must wear a helmet at all times.
4. All swimming pools must have a safety fence around it.

And it does not vary by state (mostly). Our laws are applied to all seven states of Australia, generally speaking.
2016-2-19
Use props
dewayt
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-19 17:01
Nothing wrong with the cop asking to see the flight record, as far as he is concerned it would help ...

by not handing over personal property just because police ask me to does not provide suspicion of guilt. It  holds them accountable to the fact that im innocent until proven guilty. It also holds them accountable to the law and to the constitution. Im not going to just let someone look at any data i have, regardless of where its kept or whose suspicions it might satisfy.
2016-2-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dewayt@gmail.co Posted at 2016-2-20 15:15
by not handing over personal property just because police ask me to does not provide suspicion of  ...

Yeah fine, have it your way. In my society we try to help the law in their job, we don't try to make it difficult for them.
2016-2-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Flying in a public park, one early evening, I had a woman approach me after I landed, and ask me the usual 3rd degree hot seat questions.
Is that a drone, does it have a camera attached. Yes and yes, but may I show you what I record?
Once she saw how tiny we looked in the video, she promptly turned and walked away... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-2-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules