Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5R Lens Balance, DJI please comment.
804 4 2016-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

I just noticed something, the physical size of the X5R is different then the X5 (not talking about the SSD area) Im talking about the camera itself. It is even right on the DJI site. Pics will be below. My concern is the difference in size will also yeild a difference in weight, which will throw lens balance off. I would assume DJI has added some weight in the back half of the camera to make up for the weight loss the X5R has on the back half compared to the X5? If not, we would have to figure out new ways to balance the lenses, with a really light back half of the camera.

DJI, do you have any info on this? Thank you.

X5

X5

X5r

X5r
2016-2-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can tell you not to worry and it balances perfectly, flight time is just slightly reduced.
2016-2-18
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.3

United States

Nice catch.  That looks like a significantly lighter camera based on the gimbal axis.  I'm thinking DJI might have ditched the fan.  
2016-2-18
Use props
gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Looks like it would be, but...would have to be the same weight... no.. actually heavier since the weight of the gimbal axis is closer. know what I mean? Yea.. the camera has to be heavy now to keep the same lens balance as the X5 due to smaller size and not sticking out as far as the x5 does. So.. so as Ken said, flight time just slightly reduced, would make since, its heavier. Not to mention adding the SSD assembly too.
2016-2-18
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.3

United States

The gimbal axis is at the center of mass with the lens attached.  The axis has moved from the lens mount on the X5 to the to a couple of centimeter in front of the lens mount on the X5R.  This means that the lens is proportionally heavier attached to the X5R than to the X5.  Ot that the mass of the camera body is moved farther forward, which is also probably partly the case.  In any case, the X5R is a much more compactly designed camera.
2016-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules