Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Olympus 14-42mm Balance
2835 8 2016-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jonathanp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

Finally got my Olympus 14-42 perfectly balanced.  I used a Hoya 37mm filter then attached the DJI BR 37-23 balance ring.  The DJI balance ring doesn't provide enough weight alone to balance perfectly.  Go for the combo of both.  I also used the step up ring and that didn't provide enough weight.

Olympus14.jpg
2016-2-18
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

I'm glad that you got it eventually balanced. Thanks for sharing experience
2016-2-18
Use props
geoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 981952 ft
  • >>>
Germany

How can it be perfectly balanced if the lens goes in and out ?
2016-2-19
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This balancing of lenses is absurd. Any lens surely has a centre of mass, which needs to revolve around the CoG? So how come so many users are having different setups with hoods, balancing rings, ND flilters etc? Or am I missing something?
2016-2-19
Use props
jonathanp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2016-2-19 07:02
This balancing of lenses is absurd. Any lens surely has a centre of mass, which needs to revolve aro ...

Hey Rockliffe,

If you throw that lens on the gimbal with no balance weight the gimbal flops back real hard.  The camera/sensor is fairly heavy compared to the lens.  I suppose the COG helps the super sensitive gimbal motors not work too hard... I'm still amazed at how well any of these gimbals perform even with aggressive maneuvers.
2016-2-19
Use props
STEPP-it-up
New

United States

With the X5 or perhaps upcoming X5R,  if I wanted to shoot video but at a bit more height to shoot outdoor sports without having to be in the middle of things would this work well?  

http://shop.panasonic.com/camera ... lenses/H-NS043.html
2016-2-20
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Edit removed post
2016-2-21
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-19 07:57
I'm glad that you got it eventually balanced. Thanks for sharing experience

I have this issue at the moment...   

DJI's formal answer. It's a problem with the lens!!! Try a balancing ring. I've tried a balancing ring, I've tried without a balancing ring, I've tried with two balancing rings and some extra weight and that is the only time it will work without the grinding noise and vibration. The only trouble is though, the lens drops and points down vertically. surely unbalanced!?
2016-2-21
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.3

United States

Obviously, it doesn't seem like the gimbal should do that.  If you can exchange it for a different X5, I would exchange it.  I had an X5 that liked to do that every once in awhile and I read that it might be the tuning on the motor going out.  That being said, if there is a certain weight distribution that allows the gimbal to function, I would use that weight distribution whether it is technically in balance or not.  Controllers that attempt to maintain a steady state sometimes work better with a load, especially if the tuning is set up to expect a load.  I don't actually know how gimbals are tuned so I may be entirely off base on this assumption.
2016-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules