Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone Insurance... how many have it?
7033 31 2016-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrueth
lvl.3
United States

Hello all,
First let me add that I own a P3P.  I am just curious how many people have purchased any type of drone insurrence.  I fly VERY causously and dont risk any low shots if I cant see the phantom.  I recently found out that drone insurrence is offered for about $80/mo by State Farm or something.  I would love to get some replies and hear who has this and who doesent.
2016-2-18
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the AMA insurance and a good home owners plan.

Have not looked into dedicated drone insurance

Rich
2016-2-18
Use props
dji-p3p1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

I have 3rd party (liability) insurance. Which means that if I'm flying within regulation (and, to the best of my ability, I always do)  and my UAV crashes and causes damage or injury, I'm insured to cover that damage/injury. It does not cover the UAV itself. (so I don't get a new drone).

I'm not sure if there is any insurer in Australia that would cover 3rd party and UAV as well. (my home insurance, explicitly, does not cover the drone or any damage due to the drone) which is scary, because it effectivly means that if my batteries were to cause a fire while charging (or otherwise) my home would not be insured. - so I follow a very strict charging and storage regime for all my LiPo's
2016-2-18
Use props
Buy Low
lvl.3

United States

State Farm offers insurance for a good price.  Just got mine today.  $40 per YEAR covers $1,500 and can include accessories. Covers loss, theft, crash but does not cover deliberate misuse or wear & tear.  Zero deductible!  No, I do not work for State Farm. No, I have not made a have claim with them. However, I have made a claim with them previously on another issue and they were very good about it.
2016-2-18
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Buy Low Posted at 2016-2-19 13:01
State Farm offers insurance for a good price.  Just got mine today.  $40 per YEAR covers $1,500 and  ...

$40 per YEAR covers $1,500 and can include accessories sounds like great deal!
2016-2-19
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-19
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

I have State Farm on mine. Mine was $60 per year and covers damage, theft, loss, malfunctions, etc. No deductible and covers up to $1,500. You can increase that if you want for a higher annual premium. One thing, it only covers it for personal use; nothing commercial related.

It's the same policy they write for some of the firearms I own.
2016-2-19
Use props
johnsr
Captain
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Info for those in France, I recently checked with my insurance agent (MAIF).  Our home insurance policy, including civil responsibility, covers non-professional use of a drone (without additional fee). This even includes loss, damage, or theft. This certainly depends upon the insurance company.
2016-2-19
Use props
QuadBart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

I checked into this as well.  A dedicated policy was $100 USD  a month!    Annually thats more than I pay for two brand new motorcycles.   I read up and went with Joining the AMA and have their insurance.  Hundred of thousands of dollars in liability insurance all for $75 USD a year....  I don't know why people don't join just for that....
I also called my Home Owner's Insurance policy holder and asked directly about coverage should my Quad cause injury or property damage.  I was told it would be determined on a case-by-case basis.  So that wasn't good enough for me to depend on.  Anyone that thinks their HO insurance will cover them better call and find out or get it in writing....
2016-2-19
Use props
nix240z
lvl.1

United States

I called my statefarm guy, it is about $60-$65 a year for $1500 with zero deductible, however, it only covers your quad if it is lost, damaged or stolen while NOT flying it.  THIS DOES NOT COVER YOU WHILE YOU ARE FLYING IT. He Said" if you are flying it, you are on your own and that is not covered " this is per the underwriters.    I guess you could lie and say  you just lost it or someone stole it, or I ran it over with my truck, but I refuse to lie and do that so I passed on the coverage.  

I do have liability coverage under an Personal  umbrella coverage, up to 1 million if I do damage to someones property or them.  
https://www.statefarm.com/insura ... nal-umbrella-policy

2016-2-19
Use props
dewayt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 641224 ft
United States

I have crash insurance on mine, neary aerial is who i bought mine from. Covers repair if i crash, just doesn't cover theft.
2016-2-19
Use props
agrewe
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Won't be of much help for you in the US, but over here in the UK I'm a member of the BMFA, which includes a Liability and Personal Accident Insurance.

Doesn't cover the drone (I'm on my own there), but does cover several million £ of liability should something go wrong despite me being as careful as I can reasonably be.
2016-2-19
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.4

United States

nix240z Posted at 2016-2-19 23:04
I called my statefarm guy, it is about $60-$65 a year for $1500 with zero deductible, however, it on ...

What a scam. The only time you're gonna lose or damage the bird is while flying it. Even if you accidentally dropped it down the stair case for example, how are you gonna prove it? Sounds like a built in out for them.

Anyhow, keep in mind folks, AMA and your typical home owners insurance only covers hobby use. I can't recall who I got a quote for commercial insurance but it wasn't to bad. I want to say their base insurance was around $1,500 a year.
2016-2-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buy Low Posted at 2016-2-19 13:01
State Farm offers insurance for a good price.  Just got mine today.  $40 per YEAR covers $1,500 and  ...

I still can't find that deal. I've called in California and Arizona where I have residences and no luck in finding that deal.
2016-2-19
Use props
tonynichols
New

United States

For $80/month, you could buy a new Phantom 3 Pro with a year's worth of premiums.  That's a little high unless you are worried about hurting someone or their property.  
2016-2-19
Use props
Zdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1805141 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm insured for Liability and Medical but not the drone.  If you go with a specific drone the policy is about $800 and $1,000 to 1,200 if you have more that one.  If you fly anywhere people are or property you better have this coverage.  Forget the drone, think of the damage it could do.  Doesn't matter if hobby or commercial.  AMA won't cover you if you violate their condition which includes flying over people.
2016-2-19
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

nix240z Posted at 2016-2-19 10:04
I called my statefarm guy, it is about $60-$65 a year for $1500 with zero deductible, however, it on ...

I checked with my State Farm agent and he said this isn't true. The drone is covered when flying or not. He did admit that some of the agents he knows were not aware of State Farm writing these polices and all the specifics of them. He also said that State Farm has not rolled this out everywhere yet.
2016-2-20
Use props
jwhayn4563
lvl.1

United States

What was the insurance called? I can't seem to find any UAV or the like listings.
2016-2-23
Use props
nix240z
lvl.1

United States

jwhayn4563 Posted at 2016-2-23 16:41
What was the insurance called? I can't seem to find any UAV or the like listings.

Called The Personal Articles Policy
2016-2-23
Use props
jesse-mercado
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1980016 ft
United States

I just contacted Travelers insurance, they have my home and car. They got my Phantom 3 Advanced covered for $50.00 a year with $100.00 deductible and I'm covered for $1500.00. I just emailed all my receipts of everything I have into it to the agent and she put it all together. I'm expecting to see the paperwork any day now. I will fill you in on the results once I get them.
2016-4-21
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The AMA is the best deal. $2.5 M  and it covers you anywhere. You may want to look into a personal umbrella policy. Cheap money for a mill. $200.00 a year. You are paying for a million dollar lawyer. plus if you lose the insurer still has to pay the mill. Let's hope that you will never have to use it!
2016-4-21
Use props
Captain Semtex
New
Flight distance : 21460 ft
Canada

I shouldn't really complain. Flying commercially in Canada is waayyyy easier than in the USA. To fly commercially in Canada, even to take some simple real estate photos, requires a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) from Transport Canada... and they require you to prove you have Third Party liability insurance of a minimum $100,000.

For a Phantom 3 the cheapest insurance I've found costs $450/year, does not cover any damage to the Phantom and... wait for it... has a $5,000 deductable!

In other words the insurance is essentially worthless and becomes a business expense.

I appreciate that insurer's must cover for drone pilots of all skills but, like motor insurance, I wish there were policies where there are discounts if you complete an approved ground school course, have a private pilots licence, minimize risks by flying with prop guards, have an automated parachute recovery system installed, etc.
2016-4-21
Use props
the88fotosdrone
New
Flight distance : 518346 ft
United States

Drone Insurance:

I just so happen to be a State Farm agent.... No really...

What you will need is a PAP or Personal Articles Policy... this policy is very inexpensive and can and will cover, physical damage while flying, being transported ANYWHERE on earth... Including theft and can come with a ZERO deductible.

It works, it's cheap coverage and i can write anyone in the state of Ga a policy right over the phone.

(will NOT cover commercial usage) but hey, for $30 a year, why not?

2016-11-30
Use props
Ethanflux
lvl.3
Flight distance : 450190 ft
  • >>>
United States

the88fotosdrone Posted at 2016-11-30 15:38
Drone Insurance:

I just so happen to be a State Farm agent.... No really...

I'm asking my Allstate Agent if something like this is available to me here in Missouri.  If not, then I will contact State Farm.
2016-11-30
Use props
usera5ba612073
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Australia

I have 3rd party cover in Australia for $5 million however this cover is NOT for my drone just third party that cost me around $950 if my memory is right with these people as long as you fly inside CASA rules.

General Insurance Brokers

Matt Whitley
Aviation Marine & General Insurance Services Pty Ltd (AMGI)
Street: Lvl 12, 189 Kent St, Sydney NSW 2000
Postal: PO Box 1017 Narellan NSW 2567
Tel: 1300 737 531
Mob : 0408 427 724
2016-11-30
Use props
Billbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1211414 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have State Farm for my Phantom 3 Pro and Standard for $5.00 a month!
2016-11-30
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

State Farm - $55/year no deductible

Everything is covered...  EVERY-THING!  I can throw this thing against the wall & it shatters into a million + 1 pieces... COVERED!  lol  I know this BECAUSE I ASKED!  I asked the most ridiculous of situations & you guessed it...  COVERED!  Easiest decision EVERRRR.
2016-11-30
Use props
usera5ba612073
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Australia

I Should add that re my earlier post this cover is for commercial flying. They do also cover Drone if required but as excess is $500 I didn't think it was worth that extra.
2016-11-30
Use props
Ethanflux
lvl.3
Flight distance : 450190 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Allstate agent said they have something in the works for drones, but it is not available yet.  Will be contacting a couple State Farm agents today.
2016-12-1
Use props
stuka75
First Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-4-22 08:59
The AMA is the best deal. $2.5 M  and it covers you anywhere. You may want to look into a personal u ...

AMAm does not cover loss of the drone itself. Just liability/medical.
2016-12-1
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

stuka75 Posted at 2016-12-1 13:54
AMAm does not cover loss of the drone itself. Just liability/medical.

I never said that it did. However, it does cover Fire, Theft, and Vandalism up to $1,000.
2016-12-3
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

I checked yesterday with my Farm Bureau Insurance agent and got coverage for $50  per year for everything.  
WA5TEF
2016-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules