Completed my first RTH function and...
12Next >
2987 48 2016-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I conducted my first RTH (return to home) function and she worked like a charm and landed like she was egg shells. First time for me and glad I did it. Now, I understand what to do if the SHTF, just click the RTH. Really a nice feature and hope I never have to use it, but nice to know I have an ejection seat.  
2016-2-19
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Just make sure you have your height set high enough for RTH and also that the Home Point is recorded everytime.

These are amazing machines.

Cheers-donnie
2016-2-19
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Good to hear all went well. I've tested RTH  many times on every craft I've used.

DAVE
2016-2-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

SS
Nice to have a copilot save you..... if it becomes necessary!!

Glad you were able to get this working

Rich
2016-2-19
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-20 08:49
Just make sure you have your height set high enough for RTH and also that the Home Point is reco ...

You got it!   And I set my height to 250 ft considering I have small mountains around the ranch and I always make sure I hear "Home Point". Thanks for the help though, you never know and one other thing… I didn't truly know that I could cancel RTH during the process and I am able to have full control of my inspire 1 while coming in and landing. Another nice feature.
2016-2-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-2-19 21:07
You got it!   And I set my height to 250 ft considering I have small mountains around the ranch  ...

Make sure you check these settings from time to time and especially after the software (Go App) updates. They can drop back to the default values

Rich
2016-2-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The RTH function does work 100% perfectly if setup correctly.
2016-2-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-20 13:54
Make sure you check these settings from time to time and especially after the software (Go App) up ...

I wouldn't check the RTH settings time to time BUT rather before every flight if you fly in different areas.
It should be a part of the preflight checklist. RTH altitude and home, hover, or land.
2016-2-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-19 22:09
I wouldn't check the RTH settings time to time BUT rather before every flight if you fly in differ ...

Great point and I have this on my check list but it has been very consistent for me

Rich
2016-2-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-19 22:09
I wouldn't check the RTH settings time to time BUT rather before every flight if you fly in differ ...

Great point and I have this on my check list but it has been very consistent for me

Rich
2016-2-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-20 14:32

Rich

Rich,
You wouldn't believe how many RTH failures come in (where the aircraft was recovered) and they say it was the aircraft's fault.
Then reading the DAT file and see that there was a high smash into a solid object (building) and the RTH altitude is set to the stock settings (20m) and the GPS data shows it ran into a few hundred foot building.OR they hit RTH within 20m of homepoint and it goes into RTH mode and descends into the water when they expected it to rise and come home.
Within 20 meters if you hit RTH it just lands wherever it in.
2016-2-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-20 15:57
I echo the sentiment of the others here. Ensure that the correct parameters are set every time durin ...

Paul, just curious why you fly with SGH off.
2016-2-20
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2016-2-19 23:07
You got it!   And I set my height to 250 ft considering I have small mountains around the ranch  ...

Check your setting, the  The Return to Home (RTH) feature has a range between 20-500 M.  The "M" as far as I can infer is METERS.    So if yours is set for 250, that is  820.21 feet ......roughly.     I set mine for 100M which clears the tallest obstacles when I fly.   

NOW, you may be aware of this and have the return to home set at 76.2 meters.    I just want to bring this Up because I made this mistake  ( Among Many ) and want to share my experience with others.

All my best-donnie
2016-2-20
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Ok now you are confident that the RTH works, remember to test it frequently especially after every upgrade to ensure it is fully airworthy and the RTH function is still doing what it should.  This is a procedure and test that should be included within all commercial Ops Manuals after particularly after any repair, or firmware upgrade.

As others have said as well, also remember the environment you are to fly in and adjust the RTH height accordingly.

Happy Flying
2016-2-20
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-20 00:07
The RTH function does work 100% perfectly if setup correctly.

The only challenge I see with the Return to Home (RTH) is that there should be a 10 second warning BEFORE initialization.  I had this happen today as the matter of fact.  As the RTH function is announced the aircraft was  already on the Move towards the set altitude.  I need a moment to cancel if I wish BEFORE it starts gaining altitde.  Had I been below some obstacle I would have been in a world of anguish.

Please inform the powers that be of this suggestion.

Thanks DJI-Ken  ,               Donnie
2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-20 22:33
The only challenge I see with the Return to Home (RTH) is that there should be a 10 second war ...

There is a delay and what caused the RTH, was it low battery or lost signal?
2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-20 16:26
There are two main reasons.

Given that the accepted VLOS limit is only 500m radius, what use is SG ...

Ok, I see. The only reason I could see to disable SGH was one way missions.
And when you say there's no Dynamic Home point are you saying you don't use it, or you cannot get it to work.
2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-21 02:20
Yep... One way missions.

The only reason I can see to use it is long distance return flights - Il ...

Dynamic home point does not update itself, each press of the button (either aircraft or RC) sets it that one time. So if you reset dynamic home point to the RC then walk 100m away it and hit RTH is does not come to you but to where you were standing when you last updated the home point.

Or are you saying that when you move from the takeoff location and reset home point the aircraft returns to home from where you took off from ?
2016-2-20
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-20 10:20
Yep... One way missions.

The only reason I can see to use it is long distance return flights - Il ...

AutoFlight Logic only uses the IPad or iPhone GPS and barometer, not the DJI remote. This is why they list the compatible devices on their website, so you can make the correct purchase.

I have tried DHP on my Inspire and it worked. I walked away from the take off point about 100 feet and then hit the DHP button then it resets the point. Hit the RTH button and the Inspire landed at the new location

Rich
2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-21 03:09
That is not Dynamic Home Point. The clue is in the name. That is a manually updated static home poi ...

I have never seen that error on my Phantom's or Inspire's when testing
I will have to test later if your theory is correct, but my understanding is when you tap the reset home point it only sets the coordinates at that time and doesn't automatically update.
Here's verbiage form the Inspire manual.

There are two options for Dynamic Home Point.
1. Set the aircraft current coordinate as the new Home Point.
2. Set the remote controller’s coordinate as the new Home Point.
Setting Up Dynamic Home Point
Follow the steps below to setup Dynamic Home Point:
1. Connect to the mobile device and launch the DJI GO app and go to the “Camera” page.
2. Tap“ ”and select“ ”, to reset the remote controller’s coordinates as the new Home Point.
3.Tap“ ”andselect“ ”,toresettheaircraft’scoordinatesasthenewHomePoint. 4. The aircraft status indicator blinks green to show Home Point is set successfully.

2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-21 03:51
The Inspire's manual (already known to be wrong) isn't the basis on which people make a purchase.  ...

if I were going to use Dynamic Home Point I would not need to press it every few seconds.
I would take off from a point then walk to another location and reset it to that point so if there was a signal loss it would return to my new location and where I took off from.
Or the other time I would use is is if I was on a boat and having the aircraft follow the boat as it travelled several miles across the water. In that case there is still no reason to have to tap the button every few seconds, but only every minute of so and I would have RTH set to hover.

Also, where on the DJI website did you see that phrase and I would like to research as well.
2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-21 04:24
That is not the design philosophy described in the advertising. Walk from A to B and then setting ...

I don't know what to say about what used to be on the website. I can say that it works as advertised on how the manual says it works.
I just walked to the end of the street to do a test and here are some screen shots. I did try to get the same error as you get about weak GPS signal and I was able to do it but I had to cover the top of the RC with my hand and also lean over the RC so I totally blocked the GPS in the RC from the sky with my hand and also my body.
If you are always getting that GPS error, then it's possiblly becasue you need to update your aircraft which I know you do not want to do. I do not know anyone else who's aircraft it does not work either. So the number one troubleshooting solution for me to ask is "are you on the latest firmware" so if you were to update to 1.6 then you may not get those errors anymore.
IMG_0015.PNG
IMG_0016.PNG
IMG_0017.PNG
IMG_0020.PNG
IMG_0021.PNG
IMG_0022.PNG
IMG_0023.PNG
2016-2-20
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-20 11:56
I'll see if I can dig out the old thread where I discussed this with another user because he detail ...

Hey Paul,

This was awhile ago when I played around with this feature. No I do not believe it automatically set the DHP it was only after I pushed the DHP on the App. I was in GPS mode (P) on the remote at the time out in a field of grass. I took off from one end of the area and the standard home point was on the map.  I moved over to the other end of the field while leaving the Inspire in a high hover at about 100 feet. I reset the home point and then hit the RTH button.. The inspire came to where I was standing and landed.

I have not played around with it much more than that, and you are correct if you loose signal you can not do anything to update the aircraft.... its to late.

I did not think the Inspire would keep the remote GPS lock as you moved, I do not remember the H point on the map updating while I walked in the field. This would be a go test to try again because the firmware has been updated since I did this test and I wonder if they have changed the response of this feature again?

I hope this clears up what I was talking about.

Rich
2016-2-20
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-20 12:00
if I were going to use Dynamic Home Point I would not need to press it every few seconds.
I would  ...

Thanks for posting the photos, this is how I remember doing my test some time ago.  

I need to do another test when I am feeling better again.... The firmware has changed at least two times since I did the testing.
Not sure if the Inspire is suppose to auto update as you move with the controller? It would be nice if it did especially now with the follow me feature....
Rich
2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-2-21 05:34
Thanks for posting the photos, this is how I remember doing my test some time ago.  

I need to do ...

I just know from reading the manual that it only updates to your location when you reset it, it does not keep updating. And my test this morning proved it.
2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-21 05:41
Which takes me back to my original claim - There is no Dynamic Home Point. At best, there is a man ...

I understand the proper definition of dynamic is constant moving but DJI calls dynamic home point by resetting the home point to the current coordinates of when you reset it so it does work as advertised.
It may not for you because you do not do firmware updates. For that I don't think you can blame DJI.
The product is constantly evolving and updates is what keeps it that way.

It's totally fine if you do not want to update, but you will not get the features added and if you do have a problem, it may be easily solved if you update the firmware.
That's just my 2 cents.
I wish I was able to send you mine that's on 1.6 and you could play with it for a week and put it through it's paces and see what you think.
I honestly think after that you would update your own to 1.6
2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-21 06:51
No, Ken. DJI moved the goalposts and redefined DHP to mean static and manually updated. This is no ...

Sorry you are not happy with the Inspire because of DHP and the other things you experience. Yes I have flown older Inspires on older firmware and the speed was faster than recent firmware but it's done to protect the aircraft.
Anyways, I don't want to argue about this, again, I am sorry you are not happy with your Inspire.And yes, your welcome for the test I did for you thing morning. And yes, I walked to the end of the block and flew from there.
2016-2-20
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Paul we have had this discussion many times.  I have talked to our R&D department.  We no longer support v1.3.  You may continue to use it as long as you wish.  I understand that this in not the answer you want to hear but that is the answer. We will no longer respond to this continued rant.
2016-2-20
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-20 11:19
There is a delay and what caused the RTH, was it low battery or lost signal?

DJI-Ken it was a RTH initiated by a low battery.    I was purposefully getting the battery down low to cycle it.    Honest Ken, the moment it said, "Initiating return to Home Point " the Gear came up and it was gaining altititude FAST.   I will test this again to make sure of my statement.

Ken, thanks for everything.  You get a lot of heat on the site from a lot of people but you do it with a professional attitude.   Most Manufacturers don't have a sight that can vent grievances or provide information.     I am very happy with my product and been flying for over 25 years.  
     I am not saying some of folks on the forum do not have legitimate gripes, but rarely can they be debated right on the companies own website.  I think the debates are healthy and make for a better product.  Thanks Again.

Cheers -donnie
2016-2-20
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

If I can see the bird and its line of sight, I always use RTH to bring the bird back.........I just enjoy watching the tech do its thing.
Overal, I am pretty happy with my bird.....its been mostly trouble free other than 1 firmware upgrade where the instructions were wrong for my version of the aircraft, but that was soon fixed and It is flying well.
My biggest disapointment is having to use 3rd party software to overcome the idiot factor software limitations........I wish DJI would reconsider some of those.....they really do make an awesome bit of gear very average.
So I guess overal.....for the moment anyway, I am happy with it, and I am using the latest firmware all round.......but Please DJI.....Please consider the limitations you add......they are making your fantastic product less than it can be.
For the record, I have a lot of DJI gear.......
2016-2-20
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2016-2-20 19:04
Paul we have had this discussion many times.  I have talked to our R&D department.  We no longer sup ...

Tahoe-Ed,   You work for DJI correct?  If so dont talk to your customers disrespectfully.  When you talk to one of us like this, you talk to ALL OF US.  
    When I first came on this Forum I thought Paul worked for DJI, Paul answered  Many newbies questions. You should be grateful he lightens your work load.
     Just be Nice and respectful when you are speaking to the CUSTOMER !

Thanks-donnie
2016-2-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-21 09:26
DJI-Ken it was a RTH initiated by a low battery.    I was purposefully getting the battery down ...

I know that when you get a low battery warning you can cancel it before it goes into RTH (10 seconds I think) I have my low warning set to 20% and critical at 10%. If I remember correctly I think it will start a RTH at about 15% but still is cancellable and I can hover it until 8% and holding throttle so it doesn't land. Then I let it land. I only do that for a test, I usually land and power off with at least 20% left.
2016-2-20
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-20 20:19
I know that when you get a low battery warning you can cancel it before it goes into RTH (10 secon ...

I did cancel it when it initiated, but unfortunately it was already climbing fast.  I have my setting's exactly like yours.  I guess, to be clear, what I am saying is that  before it begins it's ascent   I would like the warning that RTH will begin in 10 seconds.  That will give me time to cancel if I wish.  I think that many New Pilot's who cannot react quicly enough will find themselves in a panic.  Also as I think about it, I dont think I had control of the ascent or other stick movement during this phase, Luckily I was able to cancel the Smart Go Home function and Land the bird.  As soon as the weather clears here in Michigan I am going to Re-enact what happened ( In a wide open area of course )   and make sure I am giving proper factual information.    If my memory does serve me correct then all I SUGGEST  is there be a delay before initiation of the feature.  

Thanks again for listening to me politely,  I really appreciate the forum and that DJI personal are here to answer questions and concerns.  I just want to help make a great product even better.

Thanks Ken............donnie
2016-2-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-21 22:10
I did cancel it when it initiated, but unfortunately it was already climbing fast.  I have my ...

There is a delay in the low battery RTH, and you said you cancelled the smart go home? To get to that menu would have taken longer than just pushing the RTH button on the RC to cancel it.
When you first get a low battery warning, the app will tell you it's going to go in RTH mode and you have 10 seconds to cancel it.
2016-2-21
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-21 10:47
There is a delay in the low battery RTH, and you said you cancelled the smart go home? To get to t ...

It was actually the Smart Go Home  Function.   That is what the RTH Low battery function is called SGH?
What happened is there was a menu choice that popped up to cancel the function.  ( But it was already doing it when it announced)  I hope I am describing this correctly.  I did not go through the menu and turn off the Smart Go Home function if that is what you think I did.  
    I tried to duplicate what happened yesterday but I must not have been far enough from the home point because the gear lowered and just landed itself at about 12% battery.  ( I think I was within the 60 feet where it just lands, yesterday I was further away)  In the colder weather things seem to happen a lot more quickly.  The winds were getting nasty and I did not want to push my luck.

Yesterday when it happened I believe it said, " Returning to the Home Point"  I was just getting ready to land and the gear Popped up and it was ascending quickly.  I never had that happen but I just cancelled the function in time  and luckily I was not under a tree or anything.  
    I am sure you have bigger fish to fry and when You get time please test it out and I will do the same. I sure cant wait for the weather to break here in Michigan for more conducive flying.

Thanks again -donnie
2016-2-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-22 01:10
It was actually the Smart Go Home  Function.   That is what the RTH Low battery function is c ...

I'm still not fully understanding what you are saying. Yes, if your within 20 meters and get the low battery warning you have 10 seconds to cancel it and it will just land wherever it is if you don't cancel RTH.
If your outside the 20m and you get the low battery warning, you still have 10 seconds until it goes into RTH mode and you can cancel it at any time.

Tell me exactly what you want me to test as I am doing some test flying later today and I will report my findings this evening if something doesn't come up during the day and doesn't let me fly.
2016-2-21
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-21 11:41
I'm still not fully understanding what you are saying. Yes, if your within 20 meters and get the l ...

Ok , do a normal flight, walk away from your take off point and be at least 65 plus feet away. ( From  Take off Point ) Fly normally and have some fun ....... as your battery gets below say 20 % let it hover about 4 feet in the air ( at least 65 plus feet away from take off point)   Let the aircraft enter low battery  Smart Go Home

Now when it initiates this (RTH low battery ) function see if you notice the aircraft asending quickly AS it is giving the announcement that Return to Home point is initiating.   THIS IS THE PROBLEM , it is not giving the pilot enough time to react and shut off the option. ( If indeed that is what is wanted)  There will be a pop u on the main screen but by this time the aircraft is already ascending. ( I also think the sticks wont function as well but am not posotive )  THIS IS WHERE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE DELAY.  
Thanks for trying to duplicate,  I think you will see that there is no delay when Smart Go Home initiates .
"If your outside the 20m and you get the low battery warning, you still have 10 seconds until it goes into RTH mode and you can cancel it at any time."   
This is the line ( above) I do not agree with,  It does not give you 10 seconds, it starts ascending  AS it gives the warning.  I mean you can cancel it, it is just not giving enough time before initializing.  

Let me know-  cheers donnie

2016-2-21
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-21 12:23
Donnie - Read through this if you have not already.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-38269-1-1.html

Paul, I swear to god I did not know this topic had been a point of contention.  I was not sure yesterday but I am positive now that I DID NOT have control of my aircraft as it was rapidly ascending.  I did manage to turn off the Low Battery RTH function but the aircraft had all ready risen at least 50 feet before I could do so.  
   My Point with Ken is  as this function Initiated I had no time to turn off this feature.  It seemed to me as I was hearing the RTH announcement the aircraft had already retracted it's gear and was 50 feet up and I had no control of the aircraft.(  Ken is going to try and replicate this for me).  If I was given a warning and ample time 5-10 seconds  I would have simply shut the function down with the Pop Up that gave this option.  It just happens to fast, and  then I had no control of the sticks as it was ascending, this was very strange.

Once again I had no idea this topic had been covered, it was just something that happened in the REAL WORLD to me yesterday and I wanted to share so that others could benefit.  I did not mean to stir the Pot.

all my best -donnie
2016-2-21
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-21 16:27
No, Donnie. I'm sorry.

Let me explain.

The more I dig into this the more I dont like this feature.  I looked up Crash and RTH.  There are several.  I think the idea is great (RTH Low battery etc. )  It just seems poorly programmed.

Wow, when it happens to you, it's a real eye opener.

cheers Paul -donnie
2016-2-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-22 04:30
Ok , do a normal flight, walk away from your take off point and be at least 65 plus feet away. ( ...

I'm sorry I got your message late BUT now I understand what you are saying.
Again, when you are a ways from you (more than 65ft) and you get the low battery warning (and SGH enabled) you do have 10 seconds from the time the low battery warning goes off. I have tested this before.
Or are you talking about something else.Anyways, if you are flying under something then you should set RTH to hover.
2016-2-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules