Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
No fly zones (Problem resolved!!!)
15574 35 2016-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rich3759
lvl.2
Flight distance : 771811 ft
United States

I just bought my Inspire 1 Pro bundle for $5300, the DJI Go advance unlocking app worked the first day I received the Inspire (5 days ago), and the next day on forward it no longer works. I keep getting "this area is no eligible for unlocking". I drove 25 miles away from Washington DC and I still get the same error. Now I'm stuck with an Inspire 1 Pro , $5300 bill and I can't use it. This is so bad, I've never spent so much money on something I can't use. I just don't understand how I was able to unlock my area the fist day I received the Inspire 1 Pro, and the very next day I couldn't.  What does one do in my situation?

The DJI GEO beta app shows me not near an airport, but in the outer rim of a yellow bubble. I go to the DJI advanc unlocking site and unlock the area, but the DJI GO GEO beta app displays a message "this area is not eligible for unlocking". I was able to fly in this zone the first day I received my Inspire, and next day I can't. At this point I'm stuck with a week old $5300 paper weight.
2016-2-21
Use props
rich3759
lvl.2
United States

Also just noticed that the DJI GEO beta app has a way way bigger no fly zone than the DJI app on the app market for Apple and Android. I think the DJI GEO beta app is broken.
2016-2-21
Use props
rich3759
lvl.2
United States

rich3759@gmail. Posted at 2016-2-21 09:34
Also just noticed that the DJI GEO beta app has a way way bigger no fly zone than the DJI app on the ...

Problem resolved!!!
The DJI GO GEO beta app is broken, it is incorrectly displaying no fly zones that are 4x bigger than what they should be. I uninstalled the beta app and downloaded the DJI GO app from the app market on my cell phone and I was able to fly again...I'm so happy! I only had to drive 15 minutes away from my house to fly, but the DJI beta app told me I would have to drive 1 hour 30 minutes away from home to fly.

Man I had so much fun flying tonight, thank you DJI!
2016-2-21
Use props
decooper
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>
United States

rich3759@gmail. Posted at 2016-2-21 17:42
Problem resolved!!!
The DJI GO GEO beta app is broken, it is incorrectly displaying no fly zones th ...

good deal Rich. . . did you change the aircraft firmware as well?  or did you leave the aircraft firmware as the beta?
2016-2-22
Use props
rich3759
lvl.2
United States

decooper Posted at 2016-2-22 20:55
good deal Rich. . . did you change the aircraft firmware as well?  or did you leave the aircraft f ...

Oh wow, i forgot to downgrade the Inspire 1 Pro from the beta firmware, but I haven't had any issues flying. I left the aircraft with the beta firmware, I will fix that before my next flight.

I noticed that DJI just updated the Advance Unlocking map that shows the No Fly Zone bubble, but it's still not correct. The Advance Unlocking map on the DJI website and the DJI beta cell phone app map but have incorrect No Fly Zone bubble size. The No Fly Zone on the beta app and the DJI Advance Unlocking website map are way too large, it doesn't even match the FAA No Fly Zone size. Not sure why DJI keeps making the bubble on the beta app so large.

At this point the regular DJI Go app from the app store for Android and Apple show correct No Fly Zone map sizes.
2016-2-23
Use props
JMBare
lvl.1

United States

More important question, why are we still tolerant of the aircraft deciding for us, where we can and cannot fly?  
2016-2-23
Use props
rich3759
lvl.2
United States

JMBare Posted at 2016-2-24 00:53
More important question, why are we still tolerant of the aircraft deciding for us, where we can and ...

Because it's a game that DJI plays. If I was told about DJI limiting their drones from flying in No Fly Zones, I wouldn't have bought any DJI product. But I just spent $5300 on the Inspire 1 and I'm stuck with it, so i have to make the best of the situation.
2016-2-24
Use props
fast4d
New
United States

rich3759@gmail. Posted at 2016-2-24 21:50
Because it's a game that DJI plays. If I was told about DJI limiting their drones from flying in N ...

What about the poor guy who posted that when he launched he had no warning he was near a no fly zone, however with a few minutes of flight the app detected he was in a no fly zone and auto landed his drone in the water.  

What would it not just return to home?!?  Poor guy is out of the money.
2016-3-30
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

JMBare Posted at 2016-2-24 01:53
More important question, why are we still tolerant of the aircraft deciding for us, where we can and ...

"We" does not include all of us. I have no patience for this behavior. I don't tolerate it, but have stopped wasting my time making complaints which fall on the deaf ears of DJI.

I barely fly anymore. I am very carefully watching the software/firmware "updates" to avoid getting locked in to a potential  "authorize each flight" scenario or being completely locked out of flying in area that DJI (in their sole estimation) decides I shouldn't fly in. (Or, like the OP, being unable to fly because of some software/server snafu).

The situation posted in this forum of a Phantom that was somehow able to take off and fly into a NFZ, but was then force landed into the ocean has me concerned. Losing my P3 at this point wouldn't be the worst thing, but having the software decide to force land on a group of people or a busy road is not something I am willing to risk.

Unfortunately, all of these limitations were announced long after my refund period has passed. I imagine that leaves me like many others... stuck. All I can do at this point is never purchase another DJI product and advise others to do the same. Explaining the current and future limitations has already cost DJI four sales from people I have advised. For anyone else troubled by the direction of things, I suggest doing the same. Perhaps a slow down in sales will make them consider the customers before trying to create their own home-grown air traffic control system.

It brings a whole new meaning to the term "Chinese Fire Drill."
2016-3-30
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

In the same situation as well. Just got a phantom 4, had I know. About the "strict" no fly zone I would have never got this piece of shit. I mean yeah it's good quad, but the fact it can't even take off because I love on a small island with an airport literally 5 miles away in every direction makes this quad "limited" and essentially non usable for my work projects, which is why I purchased in the first place.  
2016-4-22
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

The Phantom 4 was apparently built for new users, but I think it's the "FIRMWARE" that was built for new users.  The no fl zone is complete horse crap in my opinion, and makes the "hobby" suck.  Since when did the government decide to do this? People have been flying model aircrafts for years, it just doesn't make sense. I mean I literally don't know what to say. It's a bummer.
2016-4-22
Use props
joey.lopina
lvl.4
Flight distance : 498839 ft

Good news for you then.  I was going to suggest that you move out of the DC Metro area.  Lol
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Turbo Guam Posted at 2016-4-23 04:28
The Phantom 4 was apparently built for new users, but I think it's the "FIRMWARE" that was built for ...

You are free to fly in no-fly zones with Geo beta firmware on your aircraft and the android app on your device.
  http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

2016-4-22
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-23 07:49
You are free to fly in no-fly zones with Geo beta firmware on your aircraft and the android app on  ...

Nice DJI Ken! I will read more once I get home! Thanks again, and I hope you don't mind if we come back again to ask more questions.

I was so pissed on my earlier posts, but the P4 is still a phenomenal machine. haha
2016-5-10
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

JMBare Posted at 2016-2-24 07:53

Yes.
I have hope every company who bring control mechanism like NFZ will fall.
DJI can update NFZ list without any information and agreement from our side. The best way is stay on old app/fw, avoid connection to the Internet and block DJI servers on firewall.
2016-5-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Turbo Guam Posted at 2016-5-11 14:54
Nice DJI Ken! I will read more once I get home! Thanks again, and I hope you don't mind if we come ...

No problem at all, and yes the P4 is absolutely incredible.
2016-5-11
Use props
NTPM
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-22 22:49
You are free to fly in no-fly zones with Geo beta firmware on your aircraft and the android app on  ...

I'm having a nightmare with beta, still waiting from DJI to send iOS beta version. Best just go an buy an android tablet, Ahhhh
2016-5-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

NTPM Posted at 2016-5-16 18:25
I'm having a nightmare with beta, still waiting from DJI to send iOS beta version. Best just go an ...

Yes, I'm sorry they haven't given you the app yet.
For $200, the NVIDIA Shield K works great and it also has a screen recorder and GPS.
2016-5-16
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

Hi Ken, So how do I approach the android app? Do I have to hook up the P4 to the Android tablet?

Is there a cost to lift the restriction? Currently for Guam it is a .5 mile radius for NFZ. Thanks.
2016-5-16
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-17 00:15
Yes, I'm sorry they haven't given you the app yet.
For $200, the NVIDIA Shield K works great and i ...

Hi Ken,

Still waiting on a reply if you can.

So I just install the DJI go app on my android device, then everything should work fine? Help!!
2016-6-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Turbo Guam Posted at 2016-5-17 09:03
Hi Ken, So how do I approach the android app? Do I have to hook up the P4 to the Android tablet?

I ...

There is no cost to apply GEO, I have sent an email regarding GEO and the P4 and I should know soon.
2016-6-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Turbo Guam Posted at 2016-6-2 09:07
Hi Ken,

Still waiting on a reply if you can.

I'm trying, I think they are in a GEO transition right now. I don't see the various GEO firmware on the GEO page so I think they are implementing it somehow and will let you know as soon as I hear anything.
2016-6-1
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-2 14:31
I'm trying, I think they are in a GEO transition right now. I don't see the various GEO firmware o ...

Thanks. Ive contacted DJI and it seems the only real way to get around the restriction is to get FAA approval, or fill out DJI's application to allow for flight in no fly zones.

I honestly don't why DJI can't make it easier. Just put a warning, or have drone operators fill out some pre flight checklist, like no flying above 200' no flying near directly on airport property, and such.

I mean birds fly in the sky all the time, and there is no restriction on them. haha... I really think DJI should just make it easier.
2016-6-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Turbo Guam Posted at 2016-6-4 10:25
Thanks. Ive contacted DJI and it seems the only real way to get around the restriction is to get F ...

They are working on the GEO app, something should happen soon.
2016-6-3
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-4 14:10
They are working on the GEO app, something should happen soon.

Thanks as always for the feedback Ken.

I was so happy, I've watched almost every DJI upload promo, and it said nothing about flight restrictions.

especially this one. So this is why I am bummed out. I ended up looking really stupid to my boss when I told him that I couldn't use it as much because of the no flight restrictions.

2016-6-5
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

This is the video DJI should be putting on their website. Make it some kind of "BUYER BEWARE" note. I wish I had seen this video instead of the one I previously posted.

2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Turbo Guam Posted at 2016-6-6 06:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimM1nnzljo

This is the video DJI should be putting on their websit ...

He is talking about the regular DJI GO app, With the GEO app and firmware you are not restricted from airports and can fly in the airports airspace.
They will announce when the GEO is operable again.
2016-6-5
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-6 09:34
He is talking about the regular DJI GO app, With the GEO app and firmware you are not restricted f ...

Oh I see, hopefully they announce it soon.
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Turbo Guam Posted at 2016-6-8 06:52
Oh I see, hopefully they announce it soon.

Yes, me too. Just keep an eye on the GEO page.
Thanks
2016-6-7
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-8 13:29
Yes, me too. Just keep an eye on the GEO page.
Thanks

I've read the link provided on the Geo website about the FAA "Model Aircraft Operation Limits"

Here is what the law states in Subsection B Sec 336 says:

(Sec. 336) Prohibits the FAA Administrator from promulgating rules or regulations on model aircraft flown strictly for hobby or recreational purposes and meeting certain other criteria.

Such a vague law, left open for interpretation.

2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Turbo Guam Posted at 2016-6-14 07:00
I've read the link provided on the Geo website about the FAA "Model Aircraft Operation Limits"

H ...

Yes it seems so.
2016-6-13
Use props
zgm5pgNcTR6S
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24925 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Ken. I just pre ordered Dji Mavic. And realised that my place is in airport zone. Just wondering why phantom 4.is allowed to unlock no fly zone and mavic is not? Is the newest device is not good enough to get this feature?

Thanks
2016-9-30
Use props
Richis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24925 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Ken. I just pre ordered Dji Mavic. And realised that my place is in airport zone. Just wondering why phantom 4.is allowed to unlock no fly zone and mavic is not? Is the newest device is not good enough to get this feature?

Thanks
2016-10-1
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Would be interested to hear their response to this. Where people choose to fly their drones is a choice for the individual based on their local laws. DJI shouldn't have anything to do with.

For example if your home is next to an airport, the current app would stop you flying your drone in side your own home even though it's not a risk to anyone.
2016-11-20
Use props
fansd433acb6
lvl.2
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-3-30 12:51
"We" does not include all of us. I have no patience for this behavior. I don't tolerate it, but have stopped wasting my time making complaints which fall on the deaf ears of DJI.

I barely fly anymore. I am very carefully watching the software/firmware "updates" to avoid getting locked in to a potential  "authorize each flight" scenario or being completely locked out of flying in area that DJI (in their sole estimation) decides I shouldn't fly in. (Or, like the OP, being unable to fly because of some software/server snafu).

LOL @ "Chinese Fire Drill" when we're discussing
大疆创新科技有限公司, (Dà-Jiāng Innovations Science and Technology Co, Ltd.)
aka DJI.
2018-1-6
Use props
fans1fdd3df0
New
United States

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2016-11-20 04:33
Would be interested to hear their response to this. Where people choose to fly their drones is a choice for the individual based on their local laws. DJI shouldn't have anything to do with.

For example if your home is next to an airport, the current app would stop you flying your drone in side your own home even though it's not a risk to anyone.

I wish I had more flexibility too on where I can fly without having to fill out waiver requests.   It would seem logical for the FAA to allow us to fly up to ie. 100/200 feet in no fly zones since that would not interfere with any manned aircraft.  However, the issue with allowing any flying in a restricted area would mean that a pilot could fly off the roof of a 1000 foot building since the drone would think that it was at 0 feet.   Maybe that's the concern. I totally disagree that DJI should disable our drones in restricted areas since we might be flying them inside our homes (maybe for testing an issue) or the app might incorrectly think that we are in a no fly zone.  The FAA and DJI are both using broad strokes instead of trying to help unmanned pilots do their job.  If I am inspecting a building for a client, it seems insane for me not to be able to fly within 30 feet of the roof and sides of the building without a waiver!  I am TSA and Global Entry approved but I can't fly a 1.64lb sUAS!
2018-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules