lvl.4
Flight distance : 171499 ft
United States

2016-2-22
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Any chance you could actally write a post, or post photos of what you are asking about (can't hear audio at work).
2016-2-22
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-22 17:22
Any chance you could actally write a post, or post photos of what you are asking about (can't hear a ...

Indeed.  Not many folks are going to wander through ten minutes of boring video to figure out your beef.  
2016-2-22
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-2-23 10:33
Nobody wants to listen to your screaming kid in the background freaking out, while we are trying to  ...

Haha, glad I don't have audio in that case.
2016-2-22
Use props
gbrenema
lvl.1

United States

OK your first mistake is not taking into account the tailwind that was giving you a ground speed of 45mph since a P3 has a max speed at full power of about 30-35. Subtract 10-15 from that on the return trip down to 20mph or less and you just might not make it back. Winds can also change during long distance flight so you must watch carefully.  Second your signal might have not been totally lost to the P3 which is why it hovered so long. Best advice is to reverse your controls after video or data is lost on the chance that it still is getting commands from the RC and if not hope it goes into RTH or you put it into RTH from the RC.
2016-2-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gbrenema@ix.net Posted at 2016-2-23 14:05
OK your first mistake is not taking into account the tailwind that was giving you a ground speed of  ...

I second that opinion. 'WTF happened' was the aircraft did what it was supposed to do, but you failed to understand how it is supposed to work. Just because you lose the video feed does not mean the radio link to the aircraft was lost. The reason it sat in the one place for so long was because it was waiting for you to give it a command. The smart thing at that point would have been to press the RTH button, not turn off the RC unit.
2016-2-22
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Looks like the Battery level initiated the RTH
2016-2-22
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

Ha! Ha! ..............glad you got your drone back. That will pucker your rearend.
2016-2-22
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

gbrenema@ix.net Posted at 2016-2-23 13:05
OK your first mistake is not taking into account the tailwind that was giving you a ground speed of  ...

Unlikely to get glass-out conditions observed in the video if there is a very strong wind at 200-300', but otherwise agree. A healthy drones log would tell for sure.
2016-2-22
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I think maybe what the OP is asking is why didn't it go into RTH when he turned off the RC. Doing that for sure tells the drone that there is no signal and it should have gone into RTH right after he turned the RC off, instead it just sat there...why? Hovering there with no signal for what did he say, 8 or 11 minutes makes no sense at all.
2016-2-22
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Post a link to HealthyDrones analysis and it should give an idea what was going on.
2016-2-22
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

nothing strange actually happened: You lost the video link first but the RC signal was still there, then you turn off the remote so the aircraft returned to home...
2016-2-23
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-23 01:34
nothing strange actually happened: You lost the video link first but the RC signal was still there,  ...

Maybe I don't understand what the OP is saying but maybe I do. He said he waited for about 3 minutes after he thought he lost contact then turned the RC off but according to the video the drone still hovered for more than 8 minutes after he did shut the RC off. If those numbers are correct, then there is something that is not right. The drone should have RTH right after he shut the RC off... AM I not right at this assumption?
2016-2-23
Use props
UAS DRONE
lvl.4
United States

I think I found out what happened video coming up with my theory.
2016-2-23
Use props
UAS DRONE
lvl.4
United States

2016-2-23
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Without a log, you are taking the OP's word that it took 8 minutes after he turned off the remote. For all we know, he never turned it off and is trying to blame DJI for his action. I can't see any other reason why he would be hiding the log from us.
2016-2-23
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Not more video, please. Most of us don't seem to be watching it.
2016-2-23
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

It looks like it lost GPS signal and went into ATTI mode? It then waited for a command but lost total RC signal? Not sure why it didm;t automatically return.

Anyhow, I would have hit RTH long before that point. You where pushing 2 miles close to 400' and facing diminishing visibility.
2016-2-23
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-23 14:53
Without a log, you are taking the OP's word that it took 8 minutes after he turned off the remote. F ...

"is trying to blame DJI for his action"

Sorry, I can't listen to anymore videos from this guy so I don't know the whole scenario. I did watch it for a few seconds and saw the ITElite panel on the RC he was waving around. I'm guessing the moment a person modify's any part DJI relinquishes all blame.
2016-2-23
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There's your answer at 1:43
You shut the remote off ... and turned it back on.
If you had simply shut it off and left it off, your Phantom would have come home.
I suggest going to a large open area and practising with  RTH to learn  how it works and how you can initiate it and cancel  it.
Two miles from home over water isn't the place to be wondering how RTH works.
2016-2-23
Use props
UAS DRONE
lvl.4
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-2-23 15:59
There's your answer at 1:43
You shut the remote off ... and turned it back on.
If you had simply s ...

Yea going to play with my toy more
2016-2-23
Use props
UAS DRONE
lvl.4
United States

Username Here Posted at 2016-2-23 15:26
"is trying to blame DJI for his action"

Sorry, I can't listen to anymore videos from this guy so  ...

Try again
2016-2-23
Use props
UAS DRONE
lvl.4
United States

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-2-23 14:53
Not more video, please. Most of us don't seem to be watching it.

LOl more to come bud
2016-2-23
Use props
UAS DRONE
lvl.4
United States

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-23 15:08
It looks like it lost GPS signal and went into ATTI mode? It then waited for a command but lost tota ...

Yea it was a daring test
2016-2-23
Use props
UAS DRONE
lvl.4
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-23 14:53
Without a log, you are taking the OP's word that it took 8 minutes after he turned off the remote. F ...

nah I turned it off
2016-2-23
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Why do I feel like this whole post is just an attempt to get his youtube channel
views up.......
2016-2-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SVTRay Posted at 2016-2-24 07:08
It looks like it lost GPS signal and went into ATTI mode? It then waited for a command but lost tota ...

"It looks like it lost GPS signal and went into ATTI mode? It then waited for a command but lost total RC signal? Not sure why it didm;t automatically return. "

There is no evidence that the aircraft lost GPS signals, extremely unlikely anyway out in the middle of open water. And if it went into ATTI mode, it would not have sat where it was, it would have drifted away with the wind. The reason it did not return immediately was that he switched off the RC unit and switched it back on again, so it was waiting for him to send a control command.
2016-2-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-24 09:50
Why do I feel like this whole post is just an attempt to get his youtube channel
views up.......

Not going to get any contributions from many of us. I won't listen to anymore 'Wassup guys' and screaming kid.
2016-2-23
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-24 07:01
Not going to get any contributions from many of us. I won't listen to anymore 'Wassup guys' and sc ...

LMFAO.............................................
2016-2-23
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-24 07:00
"It looks like it lost GPS signal and went into ATTI mode? It then waited for a command but lost to ...

Heck if I know, it was all a guess on my part hints the ???
2016-2-23
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

First off I have to say that a good few of you are some seriously disrespectful people and if you aren't going to help the OP than you really shouldn't post anything.  Saying "don't know couldn't stand the kid screaming" or whatever is really not helping the situation and kind of just makes you look like a fool. especially since you are really just picking on the way he is talking (i digress) but,If you have ever had a child than that noise would not have bothered you or even if it did, oh well. be mature and deal with it.

Second I'm glad you got your drone back man!  The anxiety would be real!  But the first thing I would do if I lost video connection  would be to initiate the return to home button manually.  Then wait.  If that failed than I probably would have shut the RC down to attempt to force RTH.  You took your standard further than I've taken my Advanced!
2016-2-23
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

arock387@gmail. Posted at 2016-2-24 08:39
First off I have to say that a good few of you are some seriously disrespectful people and if you ar ...

The OP hasn't given us the information needed to help him.....
2016-2-23
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

First off, I feel bad for the OP because if it would have happened to me I would of had a pucker power of 200 not knowing what happened and why and I believe he is telling what he knew and thought he did. What other reason would there be if he got his drone back unharmed? Surely not to blame DJI unless maybe for some kind of glitch in the software. After what labroides said that he turned it off then right back on that gives a good explanation to what happened, it just waited for a command but there was none since the OP could not see what it was doing and finally initiated RTH with low battery.
2016-2-23
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

arock387@gmail. Posted at 2016-2-24 00:39
First off I have to say that a good few of you are some seriously disrespectful people and if you ar ...

Yeah I agree. I can't understand why some people have to be so denouncing and critical! The guy is just trying to get some help. It's supposed to be a help forum after all!
2016-2-23
Use props
BJsCOOT2
lvl.2

United States

I edited all the screaming and cursing out and ended up with 12 seconds of nonsense.
2016-2-23
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Tintin Posted at 2016-2-24 09:44
Yeah I agree. I can't understand why some people have to be so denouncing and critical! The guy is  ...

If he wants help, then he should actually create a post asking for help, exlpaint eh situation, and give us the information we need to help him.
2016-2-23
Use props
flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-23 20:22
If he wants help, then he should actually create a post asking for help, exlpaint eh situation, an ...

The most important part of this whole thing is that you got your drone back somehow and must have been frightening. Maybe stay closer to home next time.
2016-2-23
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

post all day
but  fwiw boring
2016-2-23
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Riley-NZL Posted at 2016-2-24 10:22
If he wants help, then he should actually create a post asking for help, exlpaint eh situation, an ...

im not trying to be funny but he kinda did post a video of what the problem was and you kinda said you didnt want to watch the video..... instead wanted him to post in a way that was suitable for you?
2016-2-24
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Troubleshooter Posted at 2016-2-24 21:06
im not trying to be funny but he kinda did post a video of what the problem was and you kinda said ...

I did actually watch it when I got home....All 12+ mins of it that could have easily been explained in 2 mins of video, or a couple lines of words. And without posting a log, there nothing anyone can do but speculate.
2016-2-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules