Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery fire safe box
2551 9 2016-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bwaler
First Officer
Flight distance : 3314541 ft
United States

Just saw on Reddit: u/Jeeeeesh just posted in r/Multicopter about this Kickstarter for a li-po battery charging box. I'm seriously considering joining and wanted to share it with the forum.

I was interested in finding a solution that would keep my house from burning down if something went wrong and this looks well thought out.
Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 7.01.19 PM.png
2016-2-22
Use props
IMI193
lvl.4

United States

This would probably last long enough.

http://www.target.com/p/sentrysa ... PQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
2016-2-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Why? Are you planning to go out while it is charging, or going to bed and leaving it charge overnight? If so you might like to rethink those ideas.
2016-2-22
Use props
bwaler
First Officer
United States

IMI193 Posted at 2016-2-22 19:30
This would probably last long enough.

http://www.target.com/p/sentrysafe-1200-fire-chest/-/A-147869 ...

The idea of that box is to protect the contents inside the box. This charging box is the opposite idea. It lets the gasses vent without propagating the fire.
2016-2-22
Use props
bwaler
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-22 19:52
Why? Are you planning to go out while it is charging, or going to bed and leaving it charge overnigh ...

Generally no, I charge while I'm awake in a non-flammable area. However, if I wanted to be able to leave the house or go to bed I would worry a lot less based on the video test with the box inside a cardboard box full of tissues.
2016-2-22
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

intelligent batteries are not setting them selves on fire,  thy have overcharge/overdischarge protection.
2016-2-23
Use props
One
lvl.1

Sweden

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-23 10:43
intelligent batteries are not setting them selves on fire,  thy have overcharge/overdischarge protec ...

How secure is that? I mean, if I go to bed with the battery charging should I worry at all the?
2016-2-23
Use props
QuadBart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been using Lipo batteries  for over many, many years in R/C Cars at local and national races and have only seen 1 lipo  catch fire.  And that was from a father and son new to Lipos who incorrectly charged the battery.   

I don't use a charging bag or charging box.  I just follow a few simple rules;
Use a quality charger
Never charge a battery unattended (meaning I'm in the next room and check the battery frequently)
Never store the battery fully charged.  I always store them in an "after run" state.  Meaning they need a charge and are typically well below half of their max charge level
For long period storage, greater than 3 months I store them in an "Ammo" can.  This has worked well for me.  I had stored R/C car lipos for over 3 years in my basement in an ammo can.  When I took them out, no swelling no signs of issues.  Charged two of them up and they ran fine in my car.  Caveat, I did not time them or check their output to say they were just as good as when I stored them, but there were no obvious signs of degradation...
2016-2-23
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

I agree, the SentrySafe 1200 Fire Chest is a cheap easy solution.  Just drill a hole for cables and your all set.
Granted, the DJI batteties used correctly are very safe and the chances of it catching fire would be only due to a defect or miss use.  There are ways to insure you have a safe area when charging if you are worried, but then you also should worry about your ipad, laptop, etc.
2016-2-23
Use props
IMI193
lvl.4

United States

bwaler Posted at 2016-2-22 23:08
The idea of that box is to protect the contents inside the box. This charging box is the opposite  ...

That box and the one I use are not air tight so any gasses involved would vent. I charge with it in the box, top closed resting on wire but not tight or locked.

I store two batteries in the box when not in use, charged to 50%.

I know these are quality batteries, with almost no chance of fire, but when it comes to waking up to a preventable house fire, I want to get as close to zero as possible.

Cheap insurance and I sleep better.

2016-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules