LOG - overkill on P3 type sensor
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

Guys, i read that shoting in log just utilise different ISO values for different range of exposures, so darker stuff will be exposed with higher ISO prior to saving on card. That's how pushing to the middle to preserve details actually works. I would like that someome confirm

So you have to ETTR, and that's difficult sometimes, expecially on P3 style camera.
Btw footage that comes from SD card is so compressed 60mbps that basically it's does not want to grade so much.

Comparing some footage shoot with color profile NONE vs some footage shoot with LOG and proccessed with some basic LUT i found out that placebo effect is great in this case.
I wanted to say that LOG fotage proccessed (a bit) vs none color profile, shoot with something like (-2, -2,-1/-2) are quite same.

Yes, there are some great videos of log footage graded but i'm interested to find out how can you get max "quality" with NONE color profile.
In shortm i'm starting to thing that DLOG style is just bit of matematic that gets proccessed before saving to SD card and that shooting with NONE style can result in almost same, (this is personal yes i know, but i hope you got my point)  quality

BTW i have proper Nikon camera that can shoot LOG and i see what happens when i pull the key on same scene shooted with proper bitrate VS P3 botrate.

Any opinions, thanks..

2016-2-23
Use props
jonscott
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yes, your basically right, the effectiveness of a Log profile at such a low bit-rate and compressed format is questionable. Log profiles are generally more effective with cameras that can shoot 10Bit and/or a lot higher bit rate. Also the Log profile needs to be optimised for the sensor so it can get the maximum Dynamic range. The log profile on the P3 maybe adds a very small amount of DR but as you have noticed adds a lot of noise to the image as it raises the shadows and mid-tones, trying to expose it with a high level of accuracey off a smart phone/tablet screen is impossible. Its a bit more of a marketing trick rather than a really useful tool, although I do shoot with it most of the time ;-)
2016-2-23
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

Yup, highly subjective. I found myself too shooting with LOG as i red a lot about it, get my LUT's ready and i like when you apply LUT and thing starts to shine. wow effect is great

Then i was thinking that it's more safer to shoot in log than in normal as you'll crush/overexpose things. But last days checking scopes while looking on footage i found majority of footage in normal mode is quite opposite of crushed/overexposed.

As i do not have to match with other cameras, and i do not shoot long projects with various amounts of different lightning conditions and match all that stuff i slowly starting to tune device to produce best safe video output possible, so i can get best results with minor corrections. also leave room for some light grading.

Truth to be told, those are just my opinions. there will be always downsides and upsides of LOG. especially with DJI kind of LOG.  i would say in pro environment you do not have much choice, but i hope to find workflow that would better suit my needs with at lest as good or even better quality final result.
2016-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules