Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery Issues with Firmware Update
12Next >
1968 45 2016-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmoore.johnsonc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1571155 ft
United States

Every since I did the update back in December Im having weird warningd with ALL of my batteries.. Usually it a "Damaged Cell" warning. I reinstalled the previous fireware version and reinstalled, reinstalled the GoApp.. Everything I can think of. Sometimes when I open the battery health the cells will be all green then some will flicker red, yellow back to green.. Its random which ones..

Interestingly, when I borrowed a buddies battery who has not done the update Im having no problem. Its super confusing..

This is a public safety UAV and really puts our department in a tough spot. Ive emailed all the pics and video required by DJI support but have not heard anything as of yet..

Anyone have a clue?
20160222_145912_resized.jpg
2016-2-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you discard them down to 5% ? If not give it a try, go out fly as long as you can then take the props of and let it go down to 5% then recharge them. You will have to do all of your batteries.
2016-2-23
Use props
jmoore.johnsonc
lvl.1
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-23 11:45
Have you discard them down to 5% ? If not give it a try, go out fly as long as you can then take the ...

Thanks for the reply.. Yes, Ive conditioned them down to under 5%.. Two of the batteries are new and two Ive had since I bought the craft back in November..
2016-2-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jmoore.johnsonc Posted at 2016-2-23 13:02
Thanks for the reply.. Yes, Ive conditioned them down to under 5%.. Two of the batteries are new a ...

Some people have reported that in some cases taking the battery down to 5% is not enough, some have reported that letting the battery drain until the drone shuts itself off will fix your issue.
2016-2-23
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-23 12:08
Some people have reported that in some cases taking the battery down to 5% is not enough, some hav ...

Ok.. I'll try and take them all the way down.. So this problem has been seen before with the Dec FW update?
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-23 12:08
Some people have reported that in some cases taking the battery down to 5% is not enough, some hav ...

I concur with R and L.  Take the batteries down to zero. Not 1% Not 2% ZERO  I usually fly my aircraft down to the Low Battery warning and then place the aircraft on the Kitchen Table with Props removed Until the Battery Just quits.  This will usually remedy any strange behavior from my packs.  You must get the cells below 3.3 % to be succesful.

You have done all the Updates to the Batteries as well  correct?   Try thye above first then Proceed to the following if that does not fix it:
Plese List your Current Fimware for RC , Aircraft and Go

Also I would reistall the Go app as well.  Only takes a minute

cheers- donnie

2016-2-23
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-23 12:15
I concur with R and L.  Take the batteries down to zero.  I usually fly my aircraft down to the ...

Yes, I did all the updates.. It has never done this until after the updates.. It does it with all my batteries..

Let me to to post a pic of a different battery.. And a video

20160222_151030_resized.jpg
2016-2-23
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-23 12:15
I concur with R and L.  Take the batteries down to zero.  I usually fly my aircraft down to the ...

Yes, Ive done the update on all batteries.. It never did this before the last update.. Let me see if I can pust another pic..

So you leave the machine on till it dies or you run the motors with no props till it dies? Seems like running with no props would wear the motors out more quickly..
2016-2-23
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

Here is a video.. Again, all batteries do this since the firmware update..

2016-2-23
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-23 12:37
No , I just leave the machine on  ( idle, no motors going )and take the props off as a precaut ...

Man, thank you very much.. I'll give it a try!
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

No, just leave the machine idle and let the pack just die.  Motors are off   ( Props are off just as precaution, In case of Stray Signal ) Check and see if you have a loose battery terminal on the aircraft also.

Try this first,  Also any rough landing etc ?  

Good Luck -donnie
2016-2-23
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-23 12:40
No, just leave the machine idle and let the pack just die.  Motors are off   ( Props are off just ...

No, no rough landings.. This is our fire department uav and Im the only pilot.. Gets treated like gold..

Im trying to drain them now..

Thanks very much for the help!
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

Leftridge Posted at 2016-2-23 12:45
No, no rough landings.. This is our fire department uav and Im the only pilot.. Gets treated like  ...

Are You using the Stock Charger?  Just wondering , some of those aftermarket charger Blades  stretch out the Blade  contact points on the battery , or Damage the Battery . ( Not Always) Make sure you have no loose wires where the battery makes contact with the aircraft.

Also if you were rolling back the firmware, dont forget each battery needs to be programmed as well.  I know you said you tried this, just making sure you remembered the batteries.

When you use a friends battery with no update everything is fine?  Did you fly with it or was it just momentary test ?   Sorry for the Million questions, just trying to help Ya'll out

EDIT;  BATTERIES FIRMWARE CAN NOT BE ROLLED BACK

2016-2-23
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-23 13:00
Are You using the Stock Charger?  Just wondering , some of those aftermarket charger Blades  s ...

No, I appreciate the help while I wait to see if DJI says anything.. We literally fly missions every week or two so its hard to be down.

Yes sir, stock single charger.. When I rolled back to that first Dec FW update, I did each battery as well, but heard that the batteries probably don't roll back.. But, yes, I did them all.. Then reinstalled the second Dec FW and redid all the batteries.. Same issue.. Of course I did IMU calibration and all that after the FW update. I think the battery FW is wonky..

When I borrowed a battery, he is on some beta software so he didn't end up doing this update. What we didn't do, and talked about doing, was flying my battery in his machine. But we had been at a fire all day so never made that happen. When I flew his battery I flew about 50% of it, maybe 10-12 minutes no problem..
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

Leftridge Posted at 2016-2-23 13:20
No, I appreciate the help while I wait to see if DJI says anything.. We literally fly missions ever ...

Ok , thanks for the Info.  It was my undrstanding that the battery Firmware could be rolled back and was only for the Cold  Climate  ( I could be wrong)  I am hoping the Reset to the batteries will eliminate your situation.  If not you may want to reconsideer reloading the Firmware again and make sure you have succes on each batttery by inspecting the SD card for the words SUCCESS  after each battery update.  I know this sounds like a pain, but may be the only choice.  I also like the idea of swapping batteries and aircraft with your mate and testing.  
I reload the firware Freh ( 1.6.00.40 ) for each Battery and confirm Success on each sd card, I then delete, re-format and re-install FW  for each battery.  This is  the only way to be sure.  with 5 packs takes me 30 min. tops.  The battery update takes maybe 5 min each.

Sometimes these things are frustrating but will make you a better pilot and technician overall.

I hope the Re-set is all that is needed though, but as you know in Firefighting, you always need plan B
Also when you borrowed your friends battery there should have been a warning saying Battery needs updating.  Did this Happen ?

Also can you lis ( Confirm) the Firmware you have for each : Aircraft / RC and Go   ( We will go to this if reset does not work )

app    2.6.0
air   1.6.00.40
rc   1.5.70

-donnie

2016-2-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Leftridge Posted at 2016-2-23 13:09
Ok.. I'll try and take them all the way down.. So this problem has been seen before with the Dec FW ...

Not personally but after doing a little research I discovered this fix.
2016-2-23
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

You CANNOT downgrade battery firmware. Once you have it cannot get rid of it again so anything you try to roll back will not work.
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-23 13:32
Not personally but after doing a little research I discovered this fix.

RL, I hope this fixes his challenge.  I have had this happen once and it remedied mine  On one Battery

Cheers-donnie
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

With your batteries being so new that definitely should not be happening. I honestly have never heard of this with a new battery and it's happening to all of your batteries.
I would call and show them the video and get your batteries replaced. I don't know why a firmware update would make that happen on a new battery.
2016-2-23
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 13:48
With your batteries being so new that definitely should not be happening. I honestly have never hear ...

I have a case open and emailed them ALL the stuff now required.. Video, screen shots, pictures of the battery SN's.. Like I say, two are new, bought last month, two where bought when I purchased end of Nov. So four batteries total.. Never had any issues until the v01.06.00.40
2016-2-23
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-23 13:28
Ok , thanks for the Info.  It was my undrstanding that the battery Firmware could be rolled back  ...

I do save all the txt files showing success.. I think my only two options are to do the battery drain, which Im doing now.. And/or rolling back the firmware to V01.05.00.30

I did the roll back to V01.05.00.30 then back to the V01.06.00.40 but didn't work..

I can see ONE battery being wonky, BUT its all of them now.. That leads me to believe its a FW issue, and maybe just battery FW..

Either way, I really appreciate all the help.. Like I said, this is a critical piece of equipment and we probably utilize ours more than any other public safety agency in the US.. If you watch any of the video of the new XT thermal.. That fire video is us..
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Leftridge Posted at 2016-2-24 04:08
I have a case open and emailed them ALL the stuff now required.. Video, screen shots, pictures of  ...

Yes, it is strange that all the batteries are like that. I'm on 1.6 as well as tons of people I know and no one has heard of that.I have a suggestion, your first screen shot shows that the biggest cell difference is only .04, synce your flight records and delete and reinstall the app just to see what happens.
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 13:48
With your batteries being so new that definitely should not be happening. I honestly have never hear ...

Is that indeed a fact that you cannot 'Roll Back a Battery"  Once you have updated it.

Thanks Ken  - donnie
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-24 05:34
Is that indeed a fact that you cannot 'Roll Back a Battery"  Once you have updated it.

Thanks ...

I never said that you can or cannot roll back a battery.
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 15:38
I never said that you can or cannot roll back a battery.

I never said you did, can you clarify if this is possible though.  The OP is under the impression you cant.

I personally thought you could, but was not sure,

Thanks -donnie
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-24 05:52
I never said you did, can you clarify if this is possible though.  The OP is under the impressi ...

I'm not sure, only way is to test and see. There's no one here right now that i can ask.
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 15:54
I'm not sure, only way is to test and see. There's no one here right now that i can ask.

If you could just get back tomorrow on this I would love to know for sure.  I have seen this addressed before but with ambiguity .

Thanks -donnie
2016-2-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-24 05:57
If you could just get back tomorrow on this I would love to know for sure.  I have seen this  ...

I will see, don't know when I'll get back to you, but when I get an answer I'll post.
2016-2-23
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-23 16:00
I will see, don't know when I'll get back to you, but when I get an answer I'll post.

According To DJI -Tim:

" The Battery Firmware Cannot be Rolledback"  I guess that confirms this.

Thanks anyway- donnie
2016-2-24
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

Well, I ran all the batteries down, then back up.. Deleted the app from my ipad, reinstalled.. Flew a battery last night down to 50%, all was well.. Then Flew all the batteries today and the problem is back.. One battery it started at 75%, one at 32%, one at 68%.. I didn't fly the one I flew yesterday because I didn't rechange it and wont start a flight with a partial charge.. Dang it.. uggggggg
2016-2-25
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

Leftridge Posted at 2016-2-25 09:37
Well, I ran all the batteries down, then back up.. Deleted the app from my ipad, reinstalled.. Flew  ...

Oh man, I am sorry this is happening.  I think that you are correct and the Firmware that was downloaded somehow missed a file or something.

- Other then sending the Pack in would you like to try the following;

-Put the battery pack in the friends aircraft and see if it does it, and also  a full flight in with the friends pack on your aircraft.  ( Do this third )

-Try the Go App with another device.  I pad or  I phone preferred.  ( Do this one First )
- Rollback the Firmware to 1.5.0.30 and fly, see if it goes away.  ( Try this second )

-All I can think of is somehow the file for the batteries was corrupted and since you cant rollback the batteries we have a problem.   

-There is a video on You-tube that shows another way to re-set the batteries.  (maybe try on ONE) You simply remove the white cover off the battery pack and unplug the wiring harness.  Take a look on you tube and let me know what you think.  ( Try 1,2,3 above first)

I would try the above suggestions and Maybe DJI _KEN or others may have suggestions.

Are you in Michigan by any chance?  

I will keep thinking of solutions.  You can always send the packs back to DJI  I think they would be interested in what happened.  

Good Luck -donnie
2016-2-25
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

DJI is just replacing all the batteries.. I will say that's awesome, but I truly believe this is a firmware issue.. No way 4 batteries go bad all at one time.. But they are doing what they can without me sending the machine in..
2016-2-25
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-25 10:11
Oh man, I am sorry this is happening.  I think that you are correct and the Firmware that was  ...

I think you are right.. Something might have happened in the install.. So, today we are going to fly it in a buddys after lunch and see if he gets the message.. I will probably fly a full battery of his.. I only flew a partial one before.

The since they are all new I'll just do the exchange and get new batteries.. Kinda a hassle to wait for replacements but, I will say its GREAT DJI customer service to just replace the batteries.. I had to do some work sending in videos, screen shots, receipts, battery pictures.. I mean it was some effort on my end for sure but they are going to replace them so..

I have two other fire departments close to me that have the Inspire, so worst case I borrow a battery from each of them till my new ones arrive.

I'll keep trying your other solutions as well.. My Ipad is a new Ipad Pro.. Maybe I'll put it on my old Air and see as I keep trouble shooting.

I may try the bricked battery popping off the cover, but that voids the warranty and right now they are covered under warranty..

Thanks for all the thoughts, weird deal for sure!
2016-2-25
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

Leftridge Posted at 2016-2-25 12:22
I think you are right.. Something might have happened in the install.. So, today we are going to f ...

How did you mount your Pro I pad.  That is the Big One Correct ?

Glad DJI  is stepping In

cheers -donnie
2016-2-25
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-25 15:40
How did you mount your Pro I pad.  That is the Big One Correct ?

Glad DJI  is stepping In

Yes, its the big one.. My buddy used his 3D printer to make an extension bracket that slides onto the DJI mount.. I'll post a pic below..
2016-2-25
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
United States

IPAD Pro Holder
20160225_161257_resized.jpg
2016-2-25
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

Thanks,   I am going to get one too!

Cheers-donnie
2016-2-25
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

Machoman Posted at 2016-2-23 13:40
You CANNOT downgrade battery firmware. Once you have it cannot get rid of it again so anything you t ...

Thank you for that Input.  I made a note of that in My little black Book for future reference.

Cheers -donnie
2016-2-27
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

If he sells them I would be a buyer, I ordered one from Turkey but I like your friends design better.

He would do well on E- bay with these.  Remember these are sold  world wide.  

cheers -donnie

my email is donaldjames1990@gmail.com  

2016-2-28
Use props
mydogisdead
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8250568 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This explains most of the problems of dji FW and battery problems   Drone -gate
2016-2-28
Use props