6385 47 2015-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just got back from flying my new Inspire for the first time. Initial thoughts...

The aircraft itself, compared to the Phantom 2 Vision +, is significantly bigger, heavier and better built. The propellers are huge compared to the Phantom.

The quality of the entire experience is superb. The (iOS) app, remote, camera and aircraft make a beautifully integrated experience that exceeded my already high expectations. Those of you that have been waiting to get an Inspire 1 or were concerned about a buggy first release should put your fears to rest. The Inspire is a thing of beauty and the experience lives up to its looks.

Comparing the Phantom 2V+ to the Inspire is like comparing a compact rental car to a high-end sports sedan. The responsiveness of the controls and overall handling is far superior to the Phantom and is immediately apparent, even at takeoff. I really expected the Inspire to be harder to fly than the Phantom, but it is so smooth and responsive that I felt completely in control all the time. There's a quality to the flight that's hard to describe. There's a tight, well-built feel to the whole experience. My Phantom, even after many flights, always felt a little out of control, like a strong gust or even a small bird could doom its mission. I don't feel that with the Inspire, even in my first flight. Landing the Inspire manually is so easy and natural that I questioned why DJI even bothered with the auto-land feature.

The 4K video that I shot was very impressive. It was a bright, hazy day along the San Francisco Bay so I used the ND filter and it worked really well. Very few blowouts from brightness. The image stability from DJI's gimbal is rock solid, and the 4K video detail is superb. A huge improvement over the 1080p/30 on the Phantom.

The downside to the Inspire is that, unlike the Phantom which is smaller and truly ready to fly, the Inspire is big, really does require a case to lug it around in, and there's a fairly long pre- and post-flight process. With the Phantom I just took it off the top of my bookcase, dropped it on the passenger seat of my car and within three minutes of arriving at my destination could have it in the air. The Inspire needs to be assembled every time before you fly. Props need to be put on, it needs to be turned on to get it out of travel mode, turned off again to install the camera, turned on again, and, well you get the idea. And it takes as much time to get it back into its case when you're done.

Do I have any regrets after spending $3K? None. But what prompted me to buy it in the first place was my Phantom sadly flew away a couple of months ago. And now that I have the Inspire, I think I will also get another Phantom. The Phantom's size and convenience just can't be beat. But the Inspire is what I'll always use when I have the available trunk space and a little more time to set up.
2015-1-6
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

Glad to hear this review from you ..Your rebirthed!!
2015-1-6
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you using an Android or an iPad?
2015-1-6
Use props
abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-1-7 10:28
Are you using an Android or an iPad?

I used an iPhone 6 for my first flight. Worked perfectly fine, though most likely I'll use an iPad Mini for future flights.
2015-1-6
Use props
2001guns
lvl.2

United States

Reviews like this make my wait a little more bearable. Thanks
2015-1-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds great and just what I was hoping to hear. Much more sophisticated and the extra prep is expected. Can't wait for mine to arrive!
2015-1-6
Use props
redleader
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Useful and interesting, thanks.

On the pre/post flight stuff. In time do you think you'll be tempted to travel with the Inspire in it's launch position, maybe with camera still fitted, on the passenger seat between locations? Would it sit on a passenger seat?
2015-1-6
Use props
doering
lvl.1

Canada

Beautiful write-up abe! Thanks for taking the time to write extensively!  I have not purchased yet, as winter temps and snow prevent flight at this time where I live.  Planning any video to share with us?
2015-1-6
Use props
abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

redleader Posted at 2015-1-7 10:54
Useful and interesting, thanks.

On the pre/post flight stuff. In time do you think you'll be tempte ...

It's pretty darn big, redleader. Too big for my passenger seat (Jag F-Type coupe), and especially so with the props on it.
2015-1-6
Use props
abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

doering@mcmaste Posted at 2015-1-7 11:12
Beautiful write-up abe! Thanks for taking the time to write extensively!  I have not purchased yet,  ...

Here's a link to about 90 seconds of 4K video from my first flight. I suggest you download the file to your computer and then play it so you can get the full quality. It's about 120MB so it'll only take a few minutes on a high speed connection.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eusujw ... e%201-6-15.mp4?dl=0
Note that the reason you see the propellers in some of the video is I initially forgot to raise the landing gear.
2015-1-6
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

Thanks abe, nice review I see your in my backyard practically I would love to come see your new Inspire 1 someday.
Thanks for sharing the video as well was this untouched?
Looks Great I cant wait for mine to arrive.
2015-1-6
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

very well written,thanks. take it from someone who has flown and inspire,this sounds like an accurate description to me.. good job and congrats! we need to see more of this and less about crashes,
  just checked out the video..looks like near one of my fishing spots for surgeon. lol. cool.
2015-1-6
Use props
abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

cmontisano@smuh Posted at 2015-1-7 14:30
Thanks abe, nice review I see your in my backyard practically I would love to come see your new Insp ...

I used Adobe Premiere to stitch together a few segments of the video. Otherwise it is completely untouched.
2015-1-6
Use props
redleader
lvl.2

United Kingdom

abe@abekleinfel Posted at 2015-1-7 11:27
It's pretty darn big, redleader. Too big for my passenger seat (Jag F-Type coupe), and especially  ...
  1. (Jag F-Type coupe)
Copy the code
lol
2015-1-7
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

abe@abekleinfel Posted at 2015-1-7 15:00
I used Adobe Premiere to stitch together a few segments of the video. Otherwise it is completely u ...

Reason I ask everyone is using Ipads. I am the only one with an android
2015-1-7
Use props
Drone Down Unde
lvl.4

Australia

Wicked Mate!...That just put some water on the bush fires burning out of control around the DJI forrest :@
2015-1-7
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice review .
2015-1-7
Use props
markosb1
lvl.2

United States

Nice review.  It sure seems like a great product, I hope it works out for you!!
2015-1-7
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

markosb1@gmail. Posted at 2015-1-7 23:55
Nice review.  It sure seems like a great product, I hope it works out for you!!

Abe,  I am noticing that the video is not fluid in motion and I see the video in little jerking moves.  Is that what your seeing or is it just on my end?  Otherwise its a nice video.
2015-1-7
Use props
gizadog
lvl.2
United States

abe@abekleinfel Posted at 2015-1-7 12:36
Here's a link to about 90 seconds of 4K video from my first flight. I suggest you download the file ...

abe, Thanks for the video. Why are we seeing the prop blades in the video? Did the arms not extend up after takeoff?
2015-1-7
Use props
abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

vonbaron1 Posted at 2015-1-8 00:22
Abe,  I am noticing that the video is not fluid in motion and I see the video in little jerking mo ...

Any jerking motion in the video is most likely my fault. It was my first time flying the Inspire and will probably take me a little time to develop the skills for more fluid motion while shooting video.
2015-1-7
Use props
abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gizadog@gmail.c Posted at 2015-1-8 00:29
abe, Thanks for the video. Why are we seeing the prop blades in the video? Did the arms not extend ...

You see prop blades because I forgot to raise the arms when I first started shooting. I raised them later in the flight and the props disappeared from the video.
2015-1-7
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

abe@abekleinfel Posted at 2015-1-7 15:00
I used Adobe Premiere to stitch together a few segments of the video. Otherwise it is completely u ...

abe;
Let me know next time your up flying in the same area I would love to come see it in action.
2015-1-7
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

I have d/l the video to a ssd with play back on a $K monitor.  The image quality is great but I to do notice that there seems to be some "jittery" seconds in the video.  I cancelled my order when all the shipping issues started.  I am waiting to see more sample videos from the group to help with my final decision.

Abe thanks once again for posting.
2015-1-7
Use props
markkinley
lvl.4

United States

Excellent review and video.... Major thanks for sharing!

I'm still a few months away till my order goes in, now I'm more eager to buy.
Great Job
2015-1-7
Use props
abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2015-1-8 08:56
I have d/l the video to a ssd with play back on a $K monitor.  The image quality is great but I to d ...

The jitter on the video may possibly be caused by your computer. I say this because I have tried it on my Microsoft Surface laptop and on my very beefed-up, custom built PC and the video jitters somewhat on the Surface but is smooth as silk on my PC. Maybe the video card on some PCs/Macs can't keep up with the 4K video?
2015-1-7
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

abe,
I am also in the SF bay area (Belmont). My inspire arrives tomorrow. Someone asked if anyone else is using an android - I don't do Apple. Initially I'm going to be using my Samsung S4, but hot on the heels of my inspire is a new Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2   -   I'll let you know how it works out.

For Christmas my daughter felt bad the inspire was delayed so she made me a "replacement drone"  and wrapped it in a box. I posted it on here (a pic) a day or so after Christmas as a post that read, "Mine shipped! See packaging!" but for some reason whoever moderates this forum deleted it. It's too bad because it was super cute of her. I wonder if DJI models themselves a bit after their own oppressive government with a bit to heavy of a hand...
2015-1-7
Use props
abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rwt0227 Posted at 2015-1-8 14:56
abe,
I am also in the SF bay area (Belmont). My inspire arrives tomorrow. Someone asked if anyone e ...

rwt, I remember the photo you posted of your daughter's masterpiece :-)  I think you and she will both be very happy with your new Inspire!
2015-1-7
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

Running a quarto K5200, I am pretty sure it is not the video card nor the PC.  Thanks for th info though, this is very helpful.  Safe flying!
2015-1-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Abe thank you for your mini review.  Glad you are liking your Inspire.  I am going to fly mine today.
2015-1-8
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great post guy and thanks for the preview. I am a Photographer and grab yourself a "Skylight" Filter, it will cut all of the Haze.
2015-1-8
Use props
skinleverton
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yep can only agree with the review, its big, and a little work to get going, but worth the effort. Ran mine for the first time yesterday from an iPad air 2, started flying LOS then looked down and got totally absorbed by the smooth film being played out on the screen. The feed is utterly breathtaking and I'm sure some of us will just keep flying into the distance while watching the screen.

Really cool stuff: Control of camera from iPad screen, if you have a friend holding the iPad and you fly you could keep a 2nd aircraft in shot easily.

Had the drone spinning left & right 180 degrees in high wind with the camera fixed on me and you would think the shot was taken from a fixed point.

Firmware update went smooth as well, all on screen. TxT file never said complete as instructions said but app screen confirmed.
beeps right through the process until green light.(don't forget you need to do all batteries).

Build quality is first class..
We waited and got 100% not 99%.
2015-1-8
Use props
gboivin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1544416 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great Review! Can't wait to receive mine!
2015-1-8
Use props
gboivin
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2015-1-8
Use props
gboivin
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2015-1-8
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

pic from the original post   (and the final product)

1-20141225_144225.jpg
1-20141225_144420.jpg
1-IMG_20150108_115738.jpg
2015-1-8
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

rwt0227 Posted at 2015-1-9 10:57
pic from the original post   (and the final product)

sweet, im in Redwood  we should meet up love to see it in action
2015-1-9
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

cmontisano@smuh Posted at 2015-1-10 02:27
sweet, im in Redwood  we should meet up love to see it in action

We could. After I get my "wings" Had a scary flight today. I need to take it SLOOWW.

Word of advice when you get yours - RTFM!  This thing should NOT come with a "quick start" guide.
Also if you aren't an idiot like I was today you'll keep it relatively close for quite some time to come. I got a little carried away. Mine lost GPS while in flight (still not sure why) and I had to figure out which way was which to turn it around and fly back (lost video signal too).

Think it was the Nexus 7 tablet I was using. New Galaxy Pro 12.1 coming today. That should be better suited.
2015-1-9
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

Photo from the flight this morning. Had my 2 yr. old son with me.
1-DJI_0002.JPG
2015-1-9
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

rwt0227 Posted at 2015-1-10 05:01
We could. After I get my "wings" Had a scary flight today. I need to take it SLOOWW.

Word of advi ...

Well my Inspire one has only seen air time in the house as we have had below zero temps! It's suppose to be about 35 Sunday so that might be my first day to get out and stretch it's wings I won't stretch them to far as it will be not to far off lol Glad you got it turned around and I've been doing nothing but reading that manual since I got it
2015-1-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules