What monitor is best for our copters??????
1810 12 2016-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
americanrawlins
lvl.2

United States

What do you guys prefer using? I like the ipad mini 2 but Im not sure what to get for the dual remote I have. I want my camera operator to have a good display but done want to spend $2,000 on one...... So what do you guys use or recommend?
2016-2-24
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the iPad Air 2. I've tried them all and the air is the best.
2016-2-24
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-24 18:06

How does a do in sunny days
2016-2-24
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

the best for it's size and resolution is iPad Pro
not the best for the price though...
2016-2-24
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-2-24 18:53
How does a do in sunny days

There isn't a tablet on the planet that works good in direct sunlight. The iPad Air 2 does have an anti glare coating on it.
2016-2-25
Use props
americanrawlins
lvl.2

United States

I will look into the air 2. All of the monitors that I have seen seem cheap. The display is always cutting out and the pixels look like crap. I guess Ipad it is.
2016-2-25
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-2-24 16:06

+1 here on the iPad Air 2 64gb.  I tried the Samsung Galaxy Tab (brand new 10.1), the Note, the S5,  and the IOS is the best and smoothest video hands down.  The Galaxy is still good, and just not as smooth, but will work if that's what you have.  I still use my S5 all the time as it works better for reading memory cards in the field and I can mount it in my VR Box with my 3D FPV app (way better head tracking display IMO than Litchi!) and then see what I just shot instead of Apples form of control where I have to upload everything to the iCloud or iTunes...and cannnot browse my local gallery with VLC or another 4k viewer.

Trust me, I struggled with this...get an mini or a Air 2...but don't go cheap...spend the money if you're going too or save for at least the 64 gb IMO.  You'll be glad you did in the long run.  With the S7's coming out in a few weeks, you might just wait for Galaxies S7 to hit, then the prices of the s5's will plummet to really cheap prices.  That's what I am waiting for, then I'll get the S6.
2016-2-25
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I pad air for me, I am considering the pro, but I have to upgrade the mount and sun-shield.

Also the apple products cause the least amount of headaches for the GO App. In my opinion.

-donnie

2016-2-25
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I1ADDICT Posted at 2016-2-25 16:39
+1 here on the iPad Air 2 64gb.  I tried the Samsung Galaxy Tab (brand new 10.1), the Note, the S5 ...

I will never buy samsung products again,  i bought a galaxy s 8.4 and it had about 200 pre installed apps i didnt ask for or want.
2016-2-25
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

americanrawlins Posted at 2016-2-25 11:19
I will look into the air 2. All of the monitors that I have seen seem cheap. The display is always c ...

This is the display you'd want if you were to get one...but it's just a giant monitor stuck to your face and they get really hot.  

Here's what I did:
1.  "VR Box" to house your iPhone or Samsung (s4 s5 or s6). (http://www.amazon.com/SINST-Glas ... ds=VR+Box&psc=1)
2.  "3D FPV" app (https://play.google.com/store/ap ... threedfpv&hl=en), WAY more smooth than Litchi on the head tracking (where you look, the camera moves)...but Litchi is a great app as well and has it's own strong points.

I think you'd like the differences.  Check them both out to compare smoothness especially in the diagonal tracking.  Litchi is nowhere near as good as 3D FPV.

Litchi:

3D FPV:
2016-2-25
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

I personally am  a fan of the iPad Mini 4. Anti glare, perfect size (opinion), I also have ipad air 1. I do not notice a difference in performance using the DJI or auto flight logic app. so even in the generation gap, no performance difference. But for me the weight savings is nice. I have a weak left shoulder and it makes a difference to me.
I have also tried the Samsung galaxy tab 4 7 inch and the 4S 8 inch, both were laggy as hell. 2-3 second delays, not sure what is up with that. Also used the iPad mini 2, that is a great value as it is now really cheap ($199 most places?) it has the same processor as the ipad air 1 if I remember, and it runs the apps just fine. No anti reflection coating on the glass though. Either way, Mini 4 is my tablet of choice.
2016-2-25
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

gybo102 Posted at 2016-2-25 17:56
I personally am  a fan of the iPad Mini 4. Anti glare, perfect size (opinion), I also have ipad air  ...

I completely understand...I was there for a few too.  Samsung really pissed me off with some other BS they have pulled...but...and this is a Kardashian size BUT(T) here...but the ability to view my video's on a player immediately in the field is what you've got to have.  So to me, the apple's restrictions and the Samsungs ability to act more like a PC at times, really helps to see what I did right or wrong.

About the glare btw...I have a pretty cool solution.  Use a hood, and then get a black thick light blocking fabric and either vlecro one side or the other to the top of the hood...sort of like an old school Victorian photog would use.  It blocks ALL light in the back and gives you a total closed off feel, so no distractions of the outside world...yet you can pull it off really quick.

This is the photo that gave me the idea.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostIm ... D1F5673DDF35929.jpg
2016-2-25
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-24 23:57
the best for it's size and resolution is iPad Pro
not the best for the price though...

Hey Tim, I tried using my iPad Pro, even 3D printed an extension for the tablet bracket, but it seems as if the resolution on my iPad it too much for the app.  The telemetry (instruments, map, menu) all perfect and clear.  However, the video feed comes in a tad blurry or better said not as sharp as my iPhone 6.  Could this be because the resolution on my iPad is much higher than the video feed?  Is this something that can be addressed in a new version of 'the go app?  I really want to use the iPad Pro, and I suspect you do too since you guys included the big harness.  ;)
2016-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules