Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

How much wind can the V 2.0 tolerate?
The specs state Maximum wind speed resistnce is 10 m/s. How would that translate to MPH?
My weather forecast for tomorrow is 15 MPH wind with gusts of 20 MPH. Will the bird tolerate this? Or am I grounded?
I had a Phantom 3 standard that I flew in high wind with no worries. But, I had a lot less money tied up in it.

2016-2-24
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you follow the manual (which is normally a good idea)
10 meter/second = 22.369 362 921 mile/hour
That can be found on the internet via sites like www.onlineconversion.com
I suggest uav pilots consider purchasing a pocket anemometer.
If unsure of wind conditions and gung ho to fly, Start by flying Upwind.  That way if you have issues, it will blow back toward you.  Keep ample battery reserves to fly home if downwind.  Never fly outside the limits of yourself or the craft.  There is always another day to fly if the winds are up....
2016-2-24
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Inspire can resist the wind of 10 m/s
10m/s= 22.36936mph
2016-2-24
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

10 m/s is 22.3694 mph.

Google is your friend.
2016-2-24
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

pinpointmapping Posted at 2016-2-24 20:54
If you follow the manual (which is normally a good idea)
10 meter/second = 22.369 362 921 mile/hour

Excellent advice. I have a wind meter in my tool box as weather forecasts are highly inaccurate. Think about it this way. Isn't it better to wait for a good day than to take a chance on damaging that expensive Inspire? You can always take off and test the bird in the wind and land if conditions are not optimum.
Self-imposed pressure to complete a flight has killed many manned aircraft pilots because they simply allowed internal influences to force a bad decision. UAV pilots are no different. Better to live to fly another day...
2016-2-24
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Don't get to far downwind, One day it was windy and my Bird was traveling with the wind at 55mph, It was good Fun  Until the return trip at about 6 mph.  My knees were knocking and I was praying to make it back.  Luckily I caught a break in the wind speed   and made it home.

In my opinion it is not much fun with wind  over 15 -20 mph.  

-donnie
2016-2-25
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

After reconsideration, I will opt out. I don't want to become one of those guys on eBay selling remains of a crashed Inspire.
I knew I could convert the 10 m/s on the net, but wanted also some firsthand experience from other pilots.
I will invest in an anemometer as well.
Thanks to all.
2016-2-25
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Is this any good??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Dig ... :g:ynkAAOSw2XFUhmQS
2016-2-25
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
Iraq

I have flown in 20mph from the ground on a beach & also on the top of a mountain... the tricky bit its taking off safely.. what i do is take off as quickly as possibly & fly up to about 5 meters then hover until it stabilises a little. For landings just come down slowly at the end & you might have to hover a while & wait for the windy to momentaryily drop.
2016-2-25
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been out in 30 mph winds and it handled it quite well just don't go to far or you might not make it back.
2016-2-25
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-2-25 13:09
Is this any good??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-LCD-Display-Wind-Speed-Gauge-Scale-Anemomete ...

Just hold up a lit cigarette, if the end starts to glow red then it's too windy, this is what I do.
2016-2-25
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Ground level wind speed measurements will be an indication, but wind strength at altitude is another matter.

As mentioned above, a conservative approach is prudent as the Inspire can run out of puff quite quickly in headwinds.
With recent firmware changes to the propulsion systems, there is a possibility that you won't get it back from a downwind position in gusty conditions.

I've had the message 'Maximum motor speed reached' or such when I was 500-600 meters out over rough mountain terrain and with 45% battery.
The wind had picked up suddenly and it was a anxious few minutes (felt like hours) before I could see that the Inspire was actually making headway back to safety.  
Got it back, but traversing that distance took almost all the charge remaining in that battery!

Fly safe everyone!
2016-2-25
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have flown in 20mph winds but you need to be very careful. The aircraft handles the wind easily but you need to watch how far you get downwind from your location and keep tabs of your battery.

I had my P3P in about 10mph it was not as stable as the Inspire 1

Rich
2016-2-25
Use props
Leftridge
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1571155 ft
United States

We fly emergency incidents all the time in winds greater than 20mph.. The aircraft handles the wind just fine. I wouldn't hesitate but wont fly "for fun" in anything close to 30mph. I would for a rescue.

A few tips that have helped us, if your hovering, or if your landing, keep your nose pointed into the wind. There seems to be more stability and consistency.

Also, download the "Hover" app.. It provides you local winds off of several data points including the closest cell tower from what I understand..
2016-3-1
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

All good advice for flying in the wind.

But, DJI's spec for max wind speed resistance is all about GPS lock.

From the manual: "Max Wind Speed Resistance 10 m/s" That means: automatic wind compensation via autopilot control inputs to hold GPS position/track is limited to 10 m/s max wind speed.

The Inspire will easily fly in winds higher than 10 m/s but understand the bird may begin to drift off GPS coordinates at wind speeds above 10 m/s.
2016-3-6
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

The Inspire is much more stable in high wind compared to a Px . I've gone up in 10m/s wind without problem. Footage is actually still decent but why risk a loss when you don't need to? Good advice about going upwind at the beginning of the flight and downwind later. Reverse can be disastrous if you go far away. Beware wind gusts.
2016-3-7
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Just look for a flag up on a pole and see if it is beyond 45 degrees or not.  I usually look at some school or stadium's flag pole to get an idea, short of an anemometer.

Flag's angle divided by 4 is what the army sharpshooters use to calculate speed in MPH.  So 45 degrees blowing is about 11 MPH so it's a "No Fly" per DJI's rec's.  Blowing out at 90 degrees, you are risking it at 22+ MPH along with aerial gusts.
2018-10-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've flown in 35MPH winds with no issues at all
2018-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now