Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DO YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM?
1720 15 2016-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BigOne
lvl.2
United States

I'm getting a little jello at faster speeds. I have been hesitant to ask this question because I know it has been dicussed in length, but I haven't been able to find the answer to get rid of it. I'm hoping one of you guys with experience can answer this and help get me on the right track to cure the problem. The video looks just like it sounds, a jello type shaking that seems to come in and out at about 5 second intervals and lasts about 3 seconds. I can also see some prop wash at the top of the video at times. This is ruining my videos.
Any advice to fix this will be appreciated.
Thanks
2016-2-24
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

United States

The faster the motors turn the more vibration there will be.  And to go fast the Phantom has to tilt, and the gimbal can only compensate for so much tilting so at some point you will see the rotors and/or landing gear

Almost always for the best video it's better to go more slowly.  If you want fast video you can speed it up in post-production.

2016-2-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

If you see the props at the top of your pictures there are a couple of solutions available to you. First, slow down your forward motion, they normally only appear when you are accelerating fast. Second, tilt the camer down slightly. If you are seeing the props, you are probably seeing too much sky as well.

Jello is caused by vibration of the camera, and the only practical solution is to remove the vibration. The first thing is to make sure you do not have all 4 gimbal retainer clips fitted, only two should be fitted.

Next, with the aircraft sitting on a bench, check to see if the camera is vibrating. If so, back off the control gains and see if that eliminates the problem.

The last check is to make sure your props are properly balanced, out of balance in the props will most certainly cause jello.
2016-2-24
Use props
djx_6
lvl.1
Malaysia

Jello issue mostly occurs when we accelerate fast. For smoother video, stability is important.
Vitally, you need to make sure aircraft doesn't vibrate (due to speed) and check the wind-speed because wind can cause a little tilt.
2016-2-24
Use props
FLYBIGSKY
lvl.2
United States

Dr. Acula Posted at 2016-2-24 22:39
The faster the motors turn the more vibration there will be.  And to go fast the Phantom has to tilt ...

Sounds like lots of good advice. I have been waiting for my prop balancing rod to come in the mail and I'll get the props balanced soon. On the Gimbal retainers, I only have 2 (Anti Drop Pins) in and I have 2 tiny zip ties very loose on the other two. I didn't think the camera looked very secure should something happen, so I added those, but lots of slack in the so they don't restrict movement. I better remove the zip ties.As far as props in the video, what I am seeing is like a pulsating shadow from them, not the props themselves. I'm hoping the lens hood helps that part of it.

2016-2-24
Use props
usman.ahmad72
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43720 ft
Pakistan

Upon reading this it just came to my mind, while you are moving forward/backward/sideways in high speed what will be the limits of damping balls? Because they are having to compensate not only for the weight of gimbal but its high inertia as well. Also would the anti drop pins inside the dampeners interfere with gimbal on extreme movements and cause vibrations?
2016-2-25
Use props
FLYBIGSKY
lvl.2
United States

usman.ahmad72@g Posted at 2016-2-25 01:06
Upon reading this it just came to my mind, while you are moving forward/backward/sideways in high sp ...

That's a good point. The dampeners can only move as far as the pins allow.  I've heard them called anti-drop pins also, and I assume there may have been a problem with the camera and gimbal falling off in a hard landing.

Another thing I forgot to mention on my videos is when I record video more than about 12 minutes, the recording gets broken into 2 pieces. Has anyone else had this happen? It's pretty damned annoying.
2016-2-25
Use props
Dark Knight
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-25 05:41
If you see the props at the top of your pictures there are a couple of solutions available to you. F ...

Damn when I first got my Phantom I assumed I should put all 4 retainer clips on the gimbal as only two was on when I received it. Perhaps this is why I am getting slight vibration in my videos at higher speeds!?
2016-2-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

FLYBIGSKY Posted at 2016-2-25 19:41
That's a good point. The dampeners can only move as far as the pins allow.  I've heard them called ...

Ah, what you are describing as the 'pulsating' effect is shadow from the props being cast onto the front of the lens. Tilting down won't do much to cure that. A lens hood may help, but it will only happen when you are flying towards the sun.

As for the file being split into two segments, this is quite normal and is a file size limitation that exists in all cameras and also in some computers. The file is split at the 4GB point, and the sad part is that the next segment does not take up where the first file left off. This is a problem that DJI have to come to grips with. Other cameras like the GoPro are able to make the split without losing frames.
2016-2-25
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

FLYBIGSKY Posted at 2016-2-24 21:27
Sounds like lots of good advice. I have been waiting for my prop balancing rod to come in the mail  ...

Aloha FLYBIGSKY,

You should probably put your zip-ties back on just like you had them - you will need them.  Be sure you have your anti-drop pins on to only the first snap.  The pins can end up being too tight with the same result as you pointed out about zip ties being too tight.

The other suggestions and your new balancing rod should help with your problems.  Be sure to inspect your P3 before every flight, especially the bottom of your props and clean them regularly.  Let us know how it goes.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-2-25
Use props
FLYBIGSKY
lvl.2
United States

Dark Knight Posted at 2016-2-25 01:49
Damn when I first got my Phantom I assumed I should put all 4 retainer clips on the gimbal as only ...

I thought the same thing, and I looked all over for the other two pins. I don't think the two little zip ties restrict the rubber balls any, so I'll balance the props and try to stay under 25 while shooting and see if that helps.
Also, on the split video files, I'll be shutting off the Auto Record in Litchi and only start recording when I get to where I want to record. Hopefully DJI is working on this.
Do we have a Video/Photo Hosting ability on this site, or do we need to host videos elsewhere and post here?
2016-2-25
Use props
pi-inthesky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

FLYBIGSKY Posted at 2016-2-25 07:27
Sounds like lots of good advice. I have been waiting for my prop balancing rod to come in the mail  ...

You require 4 rubber dampers and 2 drop pins as factory delivered the others are spares no need for zip ties.
2016-2-25
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

If it's only happening at higher speeds, the solution is to fly slower...seriously. You are never going to be able to eliminate the jello (rolling shutter effect) while flying at high speed unless the gimbal/camera is enclosed in a clear dome. A more aerodynamic camera design might help with this too. (If you do either of these DJI, I expect royalties ) The reason you get jello when flying fast is because of air resistance. Ever stick your hand out the window of a moving car and feel the air pushing against your hand? Notice that the faster you drive the more the air will push against your hand and the more it will cause it to move around/vibrate. The same thing happens to the camera on the Phantom. The faster you go, the more the air pushes against the camera causing it to vibrate as it moves past.
2016-2-25
Use props
Dark Knight
lvl.1

United Kingdom

FLYBIGSKY Posted at 2016-2-25 14:46
I thought the same thing, and I looked all over for the other two pins. I don't think the two litt ...

Anyone have any idea how to get the pins back out without breaking them?
2016-2-26
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Anyone have some video showing this "jello" yall speak of?
2016-2-26
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Dark Knight Posted at 2016-2-26 12:53
Anyone have any idea how to get the pins back out without breaking them?

2016-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules