Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Good price for old phantoms or hold out for P3S
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ryan209
lvl.4

United States

So I've had my P3P since december and I can't get enough of the thing.   My father seems very interested in it,  and is constantly asking about how it operates, if I think he's capable of flying one etc..  

He could easily afford his own,  but knowing the type of person he is, he will never make the jump on his own to spend 800-1000 on a so called "toy" for himself.

I have been toying around with buying him one,  but after seeking out a good inexpensive unit,  I am positive that after seeing what mine can do he would be disappointed/underwhelmed with an entry level unit.  I really don't believe that in his limited use,   not having the extended range of lightbridge, or even a 4k camera would be a factor for him.  That being said, I love the stability, ease of use,  build, of the Phantom series and have been toying with the idea of maybe a used P2, P2V+, OR P3S but im really trying to keep it under 300-350$.  We also have a couple GoPros kicking around that we only use for occasional work projects.

I know very little about the P2, P2V.     If i could find a good deal on one would this fit his needs?   Would it be silly to spend 300 on a P2 or P2V if the P3 standard is only 100-150$ more?  If the P2 or P2V+ is suitable, what would be a fair price?  I see many people trying to get 5,6,700 for used p2 and p2v+'s, but I also see a P2 with all factory items + the h3 gimbal for 280$ If he uses a gopro would this be very inferior to P3S?.  One of the reasons I keep coming back to the standard is that we could pool our battery collection (although it really wouldnt be neccessary) Any help or advice is appreciated!!!!
2016-2-25
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

For your needs,  I think the Standard would be the best choice.  It shoots good video and pics,  and even though the range is very limited,  the stability is good.  In most respects it is very similar to the Advanced and Pro,  from a casual user standpoint.  But,  don't be surprised if he ends up wanting the capability of an Advanced or Pro.
2016-2-25
Use props
ryan209
lvl.4

United States

Thanks, This is where I'm leaning.  Especially seeing as how you can get the P3S under 450$ with student discount.   I wish his B-day or christmas or fathers day was coming up, it would make it a no brainer.  This would be more of a "For everything you do for me" gift.   Maybe I can talk my sister into chipping  in
2016-2-25
Use props
Hawks100
Second Officer
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

I would go for the Advanced to start him off on.
I think he will be very disappointed with the standard if he's been taking an interest in your P3P.
I wouldn't bother with a P2 version, from what i have read the P3A/P3P is a massive difference all round.
2016-2-25
Use props
ryan209
lvl.4

United States

Hawks100 Posted at 2016-2-25 11:51
I would go for the Advanced to start him off on.
I think he will be very disappointed with the stand ...

If money was no object it would be the P3A or P3P for sure.  However the added range, flying FPV etc. weren't really what impressed him as much as the stable flight, the ease of control.  For me the video capabilities are the central reason for using the P3P for him having video is more of a bonus. Also, Where he would mostly fly,  It really isn't a large enough area to push the limits of the range I wouldn't think.  Even with my p3p, I have never flown over 120m and rarely come close to pushing the boundaries of distance.

He very well could decide he wants to upgrade after using a standard (And has better means than I to do so)  The way I look at it,   I can afford to help him make the jump and get his feet wet,  and if he really loves it and decides to upgrade,   My 8 year old will probably benefit (And then won't have to beg me for one every time I let him fly mine a little bit.)
2016-2-25
Use props
Hawks100
Second Officer
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

A Cunning Plan Indeed
2016-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules