OSMO battery swelling
2072 18 2016-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
raywongmusic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3747 ft
Hong Kong

I got a new OSMO battery couple of days ago, it has only been charged twice since I bought it.   It became very difficult to pull out of the charger today.  It was extremely tight, very hard to push it in also.  It looks quite normal comparing to my other 2 older battery, so it must have just swollen a little.   Has anyone exprienced this?  Is there any warrenty on a swollen battery?
2016-2-25
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lipo batteries that swell up are very dangerous. I would put it in a plastic bag and store it outside until you find a resolution to its dilemma.
2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello!
Sorry for the problem!
The Osmo's battery has a 6 months warranty if it has been used for less than 400 cycles, so, in your case, your battery is still in DJI's warranty, please contact the dealer for a replacement.
In addition, just as R&L Aerial said, you need to be very careful with the broken battery. Here, I'll advise you to read this thread for a better understanding about intelligent battery: http://forum.dji.com/thread-40320-1-1.html
2016-2-25
Use props
tupoleff
lvl.2

France

There is a problem (?) with the battery since i got my Osmo (december) i bought 2 other battery and they are down, impossible to recharge ( i did not use those wery much, 10X...) i always leave one battery on charge is this the problem ?
2016-2-28
Use props
rodAndTheCat
lvl.4

New Zealand

tupoleff Posted at 2016-2-29 03:56
There is a problem (?) with the battery since i got my Osmo (december) i bought 2 other battery and  ...

I,m not sure of the electrical implications of leaving a battery permanently on charge, but LIPO batteries can catch fire very easily if overcharged or something goes wrong with the current management on the charger or battery.

I would recommend keeping all lipo batteries in a custom fireproof bag , or as I do, keep them in a steel box when not in use. It is worth researching "lipo battery fires" on youtube- scary stuff! hope this helps.
Rod and the cat.
2016-2-28
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

tupoleff Posted at 2016-2-28 22:56
There is a problem (?) with the battery since i got my Osmo (december) i bought 2 other battery and  ...

Hello!
Even thought that DJI's battery has the properties of over-charged and over-discharged self-protection, keeping a good habit of using and storage will contribute to prolong the lifetime of the batteries. When the battery is fully charged, please remember to cut off the power and remove it from the charger.It's always good to be cautious about the potential dangers in case of any accident.
Here, I'll advise you to read this thread for a better understanding about intelligent battery:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=38174
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40320
2016-2-29
Use props
J C D
lvl.2

Netherlands

The charger is terrible, remove the powercable and you will see the battery will keep feeding power BACK to the charger (light will continue). Remove these batteries from it when charging is done!
2016-3-5
Use props
raywongmusic
lvl.3
Hong Kong

update:
I brought in the battery to the local DJI distributor in Hong Kong.  They concluded that the battery is not swollen and safe to use, the tightness might be caused by the battery housing being slightly out of spec.  They also said when I remove the battery from the charger,  I should pull from the connector end instead of the ribbon end.   
2016-3-12
Use props
Spud
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'm not keen on the battery charger and find my batteries quite difficult to get out. Is it better to pull them out by the connector end like Ray has been told? Last thing I want to do is damage anything.
2016-3-12
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Spud Posted at 2016-3-13 15:45
I'm not keen on the battery charger and find my batteries quite difficult to get out. Is it better t ...

(For your reference)
Above video shows us the correct way to use the battery of Osmo.
2016-3-13
Use props
raywongmusic
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Hi Adela,
Your video is suggesting not to pull out the battery from the connector, but your Hong Kong distributor (ECT) told me the opposite.  We couldn’t pull it out from the ribbon side.
I am confused now.
2016-3-14
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

raywongmusic Posted at 2016-3-15 10:00
Hi Adela,
Your video is suggesting not to pull out the battery from the connector, but your Hong Kon ...

Hi,
Please follow my suggestion, as you may know, there is a small snap joint in the slot of the charger which will fix the ribbon side of battery, to avoid any damage, please push the battery to the other side slightly first and then pull it out gently.
2016-3-14
Use props
raywongmusic
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Hi Adela,
this battery can not be pull from the ribbon side unless I use brute force.  it is extremely tight.  My other 2 batteries are very easy.   Does it qualify for exchange?
2016-3-14
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

raywongmusic Posted at 2016-3-15 11:50
Hi Adela,
this battery can not be pull from the ribbon side unless I use brute force.  it is extreme ...

The battery of Osmo is within our 6 months warranty if it's been used for less than 400 cycles. You may contact your dealer or support@dji.com directly for an exchange.
2016-3-15
Use props
ddunbar1972
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-15
Use props
Spud
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-15 02:42
Hi,
Please follow my suggestion, as you may know, there is a small snap joint in the slot of the c ...

No. doesn't work for me, even with 2 chargers, 3 batteries.

Here's my get a round:  Push the battery against the joint at the ribbon end. This forces the joint in a little helping you then lift the battery out. Cheap, nasty, contraction, that will get a redesign at some point.
2016-3-18
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Spud Posted at 2016-3-19 06:12
No. doesn't work for me, even with 2 chargers, 3 batteries.

Here's my get a round:  Push the batte ...

Please be careful with the inner golden pins in the charger.
As for the issue of unplugging and redesign, I'll reported to our relevant Dept. to look into it.
Any good suggestions will be appreciated!
2016-3-18
Use props
Solitaire
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-19 13:07
Please be careful with the inner golden pins in the charger.
As for the issue of unplugging and r ...

My original battery fits perfectly, but the two additional batteries I purchased are very tight in the charger.

The new batteries have a different label and appear to be made in Japan (have DJI Japan indicated on the label). I used a vernier caliber to check the dimensions on the batteries, and the 2 from Japan were a fraction of a mm wider on the corners (the main bodies are the correct width).

To solve the problem with mine, I gently scraped a little bit of plastic at each of the corners that fit into the charger (on the long sides). I only needed to scrape it about 1.5mm to 2mm from each end, from the bottom edge (with the label) up towards the join between the top and bottom sections.

Works a treat now and all the batteries are easy to insert and remove.

Battery with scraped corners

Battery with scraped corners
2016-3-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Solitaire Posted at 2016-3-19 18:32
My original battery fits perfectly, but the two additional batteries I purchased are very tight in  ...

Thanks for your feedback about the battery.
We'll look into it and try to improve it in the future.
2016-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules