1531 17 2016-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

FAA will soon be able to detect and track drones and find the location of the operator when within 5 miles of an airport.

HERE

Butch

2016-2-25
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

I get why this is happening,  but still scary stuff.
2016-2-25
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

It would only ever be at major airports as I would guess this is not inexpensive, In which case i dont see it as a problem as you should be well clear of any major airport in any case...
2016-2-25
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

rskardon Posted at 2016-2-25 15:19
It would only ever be at major airports as I would guess this is not inexpensive, In which case i do ...

This is true, I didn't think about how cost prohibitive this could be.
2016-2-25
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

How about this paragraph:

What sort of countermeasures do those include? The company’s literature doesn’t say but last fall, at a House Transportation and Subcommittee Hearing, Rep. Peter De­Fazio, D-Ore, said they included forcing the drone to land, revert back to the operator, or “in the case of hos­tiles, they de­liv­er something to the op­er­at­or,” presumably in the form of a jammed signal, at least. CACI did not immediately respond to a request for clarification.

"Deliver something to the operator"   Yeah,  something like a hellfire missle.  I can see it now,  some poor, ignorant slob,  out flying his drone,  kids looking on.  He strays into controlled airspace by accident.  Suddenly,  they hear a roaring noise,  getting louder and louder.  Then,  before anyone can say, " What the hell is that noise"?  BLAM!!!!.   Something is delivered to the drone operator.
2016-2-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It was only a matter of time before these private companies, seeing the hysteria being generated by the media about 'rogue drones', decided this would be an ideal way to leverage money out of the airport authorities by coming up with these nutjob schemes. When the hoopla dies down, they will go back to finding new ways to scam defence funds.
2016-2-25
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-2-26 05:25

What sort of countermeasures do those include? The company’s literature  ...

Yep,
Someone in a control room is saying "Hold my beer and watch this"
And off goes a missle....
2016-2-25
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

You'll be ok...just don't forget to wear a colander on your head {:2_35:}
2016-2-25
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

I think we as a community really need to start working on "countermeasures".
I think I am going to try my luck at going stealth......they'll never see me coming.
2016-2-25
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

I already have a camouflage hat.  Do you think that will help?
2016-2-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-2-26 09:49
I already have a camouflage hat.  Do you think that will help?

As long as it is tinfoil lined you should be OK. Can't let them use those jammers on your brain.
2016-2-25
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

Whew!  That's a relief.  Sometimes the voices in my head tell me they aren't there,  but I know they are.  I can tell because I was being followed by a motorcycle that made no sound, left no tracks and could not be seen.
2016-2-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-2-26 05:25

What sort of countermeasures do those include? The company’s literature  ...

That would be cool!
Can't wait!
Maybe word will finally get out...STFA from airports and other sensitive areas..
2016-2-25
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Just a practical comment for paranoid pilots: if you use a windsurfer on your antennas you will be much harder to find... then you can run while they're zapping your bird.
2016-2-26
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

If it helps with airport safety and all the lives that are entrusted to the airlines I think it a good thing! 1. Id never fly near an airport 2. Those who do so and recklessly need to be monitored. But the big 3. what if this system is abused to monitor all flyers? The very reason Apple wont create a back door to crack an iPhone. Its all good and well using it for the greater good, but what if it falls into the wrong hands or is used by evil and manipulative people to further their own power crazed ambitions?
2016-2-26
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

Simple workaround.  Get a dual band repeater.  Get a new controller that works on a different frequency from the phantom.  Have that talk to the repeater.  Then ,  the repeater can relay your commands to the Phantom on the proper frequency.  Use a directional antenna with auto tracking on the link between the repeater and the P3.  See?  Simple.  Shoot,  you could even hard wire the controller to a separate transmitter with about 4 miles of cable that was disguised to look like a large earthworm.  All kinds of ways for the paranoid pilot to respond to this threat.

2016-2-26
Use props
Sliquid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 332001 ft
United States

Sheesh, I live within 5 miles of a local airport, I dare not fly in the range as I would rather not have to call ATC to let them know I am flying. I simply drive out of range to a park about a town over and fly there. Very simple fix.
2016-2-26
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

rskardon Posted at 2016-2-25 15:19
It would only ever be at major airports as I would guess this is not inexpensive, In which case i do ...

They said the same thing about Radar.
2016-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules