6523 13 2016-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Czyka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>
Aruba

This is painful to write because I know it wasn't my fault.  While hovering 10m above water the drone suddenly and without explanation flipped over several times and crashed into the water.  I am in Aruba.  The following day, unbelieveably, a snorkeler found it and returned it to me.  It appears perfect, however, will not power up.  Is there anything I can do to repair it or is it totalled?
Also, what the on this sudden flipping over and crashing?  The props were all in tact.  It made no sense.  I have the flight data.  Can someone advise on whether the X3 cam is useab;e, how to possibly repair, etc?

Thanks and safe flying.

Worse part.  The video was not on the SD card.  Just damn.
2016-2-28
Use props
Limestone
New

United Kingdom

sorry to hear this as we fly over water quite often! Without wishing to be bringer of bad news, unfortunately slat water kills all electrics completely dead, and the salt corrosion continues to work it's scary magic long after you remove it from the sea! I have had a camera actually 'grow' while sitting on the shelf. Sadly there will be nothing recoverable other than the plastic parts
2016-2-28
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's just a conversation piece now brother. RIP Inspire 1
2016-2-28
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Thats really sad to hear.......unfortunately salt water is highly corrosive to electronics, and it also makes a good conductor to provide lots of short circuits as well.......I would say wash the whole bird very thoroughly under some fresh water and then dismantle it and use the airframe for spares......I would bet lots of money the electrics are all toasted.
2016-2-28
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The problem with DJI is they think every malfunction is pilot error. I've seen a number of employees on this forum say that if everything is set up properly it's not possible for it to just drop to the ground or flyaway. So while they might sympathize with you they think it's your fault.
2016-2-28
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Sorry to hear it OP - that's a bad outcome.
Hopefully you get something in terms of an explanation from the logs - I've not seen flight behaviour that I'd characterise as 'flipping over', so would assume that you have had a significant failure of the hardware mid-flight. I do quite a bit of flying over water and to be honest feel a heightened sense of anxiety every time - but I think that with this sort of technical complexity it's just a fact that anything can happen.

As has been said above, salt water will destroy pretty much anything electronic or electro-mechanical.
2016-2-28
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash! I would suggest you to contact DJI and get flight records analyzed...
Probably camera is dead as well...
2016-2-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Probably history but you may get lucky? Remove the battery and flush it out with fresh water ASAP. Put it in a container with plenty of uncooked white rice and let it set for a week or so. You may need to replace the rice a few times. Then give it a shot at powering up and keep your fingers crossed. The flipping may have been caused by RF interference. As suggested above have the flight records analyzed.
Good luck
2016-2-29
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss.

There some good ideas by others regarding trying to dry it out, but most likely this is a total. Based on your description could this he a prop failure? or bird hit a prop?  post some photos showing the inspire the way you found it... maybe someone can spot something.

Get the logs to DJI to help solve this mystery

Rich
2016-2-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

You need to start a ticket, same that flight as a favorite then sync the flight records. Give them your DJI account info and they can analyze the flight record to see what caused the crash.
Also, even if the aircraft were to work again, I would not fly it because of the internal damage that may have been caused by the salt water.
If your app gave you no warnings, then possibly it was a bird strike.
2016-2-29
Use props
Czyka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-1 13:15
You need to start a ticket, same that flight as a favorite then sync the flight records. Give them y ...

Thanks I will do this.  I have watched the flight cached on the iPad and see no pilot error at all in the stick movement, etc.  Is it going to be possible to recover the data from the bird itself?  It does not power on.  I know there is a port in the tail of the bird but have never used it.
2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Czyka Posted at 2016-3-3 03:22
Thanks I will do this.  I have watched the flight cached on the iPad and see no pilot error at all ...

When you send it in they may or may not be able to pull the DAT files from it. At least it's free shipping to have it looked at.
2016-3-2
Use props
americanrawlins
lvl.2

United States

good luck with this. DJI was VERY GOOD to me when my P3P crashed and they acknowledged it was their fault. They even paid for the shipping fees.
2016-3-2
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Check @drfromskystore , they are the repair center for the caribbean, write them to support@drfromsky.com, maybe they could fix it for you...
2016-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules