Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone regulations for Myanmar (Burma)
12260 37 2016-2-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kinsonlai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69662 ft
Hong Kong

Hi, I will be travelling to Myanmar (Burma), Yangon specifically in a week or two and I am considering taking my drone with me.  As always, I try to find out about the local rules and regulations for drones before I take it somewhere new but I think I hit a dead end.  The only news I found is the government is drafting a new law on drones but has yet to implement it, and the various searches I did yielded conflicting information.
Anyone has experience bringing their drone into the country?

Thanks!
2016-2-29
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

ohh, that seems to be a difficult question!  It would be great if you could check on their government website, but i'm not sure is there any info about it in English. Good luck with that
2016-2-29
Use props
info
New

Hong Kong

Hello Kinsonlai,

I filmed a Kiteboarding Competition in Myanmar in October last year and needed a special permissions letter from the government to bring in the drone.

There were many drones sitting in customs at the airport waiting to be picked up on the way out.  They are very strict and will not allow you to bring it in unless you are doing filming for the government.

Regards

David
2016-3-1
Use props
kinsonlai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69662 ft
Hong Kong

Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll pass on hauling it in if it'll save me some pain and time =)  Shame... was really hoping to get some good footage too
2016-3-8
Use props
moris.otto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1106476 ft
Norway

Unfortunately I have the same problem.
2016-3-15
Use props
moris.otto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1106476 ft
Norway

info@kitesurfch Posted at 2016-3-2 06:52
Hello Kinsonlai,

I filmed a Kiteboarding Competition in Myanmar in October last year and needed a s ...

Hello David,

how long did it take you to get the permission?
2016-3-15
Use props
mrclfr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282014 ft
Switzerland

Hello David

Can you tell me where i can get the permission and what it takes to get one?
2017-1-12
Use props
mymavic
New
Flight distance : 19990 ft
United States

Hello all - anyone out there with an update? Lucky the Mavic is so small, but kind of concerned it will get confiscated in Myanmar! I hope to just hide it then not film at all while in the country.
2017-2-23
Use props
GeorgeM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77523 ft
Romania

Hello,
I’ve been in Myanmar last week, and everything was OK.
The travel agency in Myanmar recommend me to take the drone, so I took it and didn’t had any problems.
On custom check, no issue, not even a question about the backpack content.
Had some 5-6 internal flight with scanner control of the backpack and no problem.
Just with the batteries, they put me to take it on hand luggage not on check in luggage, same issue in Thailand.

Over Swedagon pagoda in Yangon there was some issue with lost signal, they had some “no flight zone” over the pagoda.
The distance was 400-500 meters and lost communication. Use it from distance.

2017-2-27
Use props
fans403aea68
lvl.1

Vietnam

GeorgeM Posted at 2017-2-27 02:56
Hello,
The travel agency in Myanmar recommend me to take the drone, so I took it and didn’t had any problems.

I prepared from Vietnam to Myanmar
I intend to carry Drone
Let me ask, at the airport in Myanmar has allowed drone on it?
2017-3-1
Use props
fans0a9ddc09
New

Italy

GeorgeM Posted at 2017-2-27 02:56
Hello,

So you haven't had any permission to bring your drone in Myanmar ? You have just put it in your check-in  luggage and nobody asked you ? The battery you said must be in your hand luggage right ?
2017-3-18
Use props
GeorgeM
lvl.2
Romania

I had no problem.
The drone was in my backpack with remote controller 3 batteries, Canon 5D, Canon 7D cameras, filters and 3 lenses.
They didn’t ask anything at all airport check, getting in or getting out from airports.
In the country there was just the kids crowded over me, otherwise nobody asking anything, just curiosity.

I didn’t flew over people, cities all the regular things no to do when droning.
In Yangon I flew from the park, few times, no problems.
2017-3-24
Use props
GeorgeM
lvl.2
Romania

fans0a9ddc09 Posted at 2017-3-18 13:22
So you haven't had any permission to bring your drone in Myanmar ? You have just put it in your check-in  luggage and nobody asked you ? The battery you said must be in your hand luggage right ?

Because the backpack was very heavy (over 15 kg) I tried to lighten it by putting the batteries in my check-in luggage.
On my way from home to Bangkok there was no problem.
When they scan my check-in luggage in Thailand for the flight Bangkok-Yangon they remove the batteries from it and put them in hand luggage.

2017-3-24
Use props
GeorgeM
lvl.2
Romania

My first video (ever) from Myanmar, Burma

https://www.airvuz.com/video/Ama ... 1d2cd47ae320dbc1b37

2017-3-24
Use props
userce6061b4d1
lvl.1
Spain

GeorgeM Posted at 2017-3-24 03:07
Because the backpack was very heavy (over 15 kg) I tried to lighten it by putting the batteries in my check-in luggage.
On my way from home to Bangkok there was no problem.
When they scan my check-in luggage in Thailand for the flight Bangkok-Yangon they remove the batteries from it and put them in hand luggage.

wow, that's crazy.
there a lot of people with drone confiscation in Yangon.
I plan to go there soon and I don't know which rule follow in order to avoid customs confiscation.

did you declare your drone in customs form? did you put it in any no-visible postion?

T
2017-6-8
Use props
GeorgeM
lvl.2
Romania

As I said, no, I just carry it in my backpack with all the photo things, no problems.
Try not to use it in cities, especially in Yangon. I have used it in Yangon in park area and from that point to surrounding, no to low and not to far away
2017-6-27
Use props
JoesTrippin
New
Myanmar

I am a foreigner living in Myanmar and recently brought in a drone through Yangon airport. No problem. I have also taken domestic flights. No problem.

To be on the safe side, my colleague helped my call the Department of Civil Aviation to check on registering the drone. 3 different phone calls talking to 3 different people they all said it was not necessary.

HOWEVER Last week, 2 foreigners were arrested for flying their drones in country. Now they are journalists (frowned up in Myanmar), they were flying in the military heavy capital of Nay Pyi Taw, and they were caught flying over the Parliament building. The charge (which carries a possible sentence of 5 years) was 'importing a restricted item without documentation"; suggestion registration is indeed necessary. Nobody knows, not even the controlling authorities.
2017-11-2
Use props
djiuser_Rwqr4jB
lvl.1
Spain

Hi joesTrippin what are the phone numbers? I’m planning a trip to Myanmar next week but after writing to the mail posted of Myanmarcivil aviation 2 moths ago I have no response from them
2017-11-16
Use props
fans5dc7b6e4
New
Canada

I am facing the same dilemma here as I will be travelling Asia including Myanmar. These 2 Journalists are idiots to fly near Government Parliament building. You can't fly over any government parliament nor military base in any country on the world. Does anyone know where to get the permit?
2017-12-6
Use props
fans5c0dc3b7
lvl.1
Netherlands

fans5dc7b6e4 Posted at 2017-12-6 08:50
I am facing the same dilemma here as I will be travelling Asia including Myanmar. These 2 Journalists are idiots to fly near Government Parliament building. You can't fly over any government parliament nor military base in any country on the world. Does anyone know where to get the permit?

Good question I would like to know the same
2017-12-7
Use props
GeorgeM
lvl.2
Romania

As I said no probelms 3 weeks in Myanmar, nobody ask anything, internal and external flyght, small village or remote area.
Also I have asked the local company in charge of our trip if there are some issue with droning and they assure me that is OK and it was.

No ofernce for the people living there, but, in a lots of areas there is no running water or electricity, do you think they have seen any drone to ask about permit?
Look how children were gathering around me:

If you're so idiot to use the drone over lots of people, airports, gov. building...... where is this legal???

The only people asking about drone where some 2 polish ladies, they had a strong fear of me invading their private space in the middle of the mountains at 2000 meters altitude.

2017-12-14
Use props
djiuser_YhGHL0H
New

Myanmar

Flew into Mandalay with my DJI Spark and everything was fine. One internal flight was ok but ran into problems with security in Yangon airport. They said I couldn't fly with it in my checked or hand luggage. I argued with them and they eventually agreed that I could but they sealed the box with wax and told me I was not allowed to open the box while in Myanmar and I have to show the seal to the customs when leaving Myanmar. I also had to sign a paper agreeing to this. While arguing there was a book on the table with a list of confiscated drones from the last few weeks. Best bet is to avoid Yangon airport if travelling with a drone. Other airports seem fine with them.
2017-12-28
Use props
Psycho Realm
lvl.1
Thailand

Any updates regarding Myanmar? Recenly a few journalist from Reuters where in jail for more as a month using a Mavic Pro! They flew over the parlement... stupid of course. But it might be that the control at the border is more strict since this...
2018-1-7
Use props
Psycho Realm
lvl.1
Thailand

info@kitesurfch Posted at 2016-3-1 21:52
Hello Kinsonlai,

I filmed a Kiteboarding Competition in Myanmar in October last year and needed a special permissions letter from the government to bring in the drone.

Hi david,

I have seen that you had a permit for the use of a drone in Myanmar. Where did you apply for this?

Kind regards,

Joris
2018-1-8
Use props
Psycho Realm
lvl.1
Thailand

@david, can you tell us where to apply? Did somebody in the meanwhile figured it out where to apply for a permit?
2018-1-8
Use props
fans23fcd240
New

Australia

Are they scanning inbound bags and luggage in Yangon airport?
2018-1-17
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Contact information here.

https://www.uavsystemsinternatio ... myanmar-drone-laws/

Contact Information
Call: +951 533 015
Myanmar (Burma) drone laws are up to date as of February 1, 2016
Please contact support@uavsystemsinternational.com if you have any questions or comments
2018-1-17
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

fans23fcd240 Posted at 2018-1-17 21:48
Are they scanning inbound bags and luggage in Yangon airport?

I rather hope so, its what security is about. But that should be no problem, drones in Burma are not banned like in some countries.
2018-1-17
Use props
alexvisbal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 601512 ft
Colombia

djiuser_YhGHL0H Posted at 2017-12-28 00:43
Flew into Mandalay with my DJI Spark and everything was fine. One internal flight was ok but ran into problems with security in Yangon airport. They said I couldn't fly with it in my checked or hand luggage. I argued with them and they eventually agreed that I could but they sealed the box with wax and told me I was not allowed to open the box while in Myanmar and I have to show the seal to the customs when leaving Myanmar. I also had to sign a paper agreeing to this. While arguing there was a book on the table with a list of confiscated drones from the last few weeks. Best bet is to avoid Yangon airport if travelling with a drone. Other airports seem fine with them.

Hey, when you arrived to Yangon, was it an international flight or a local domestic flight?
2018-1-23
Use props
fans9f75ffa1
New
United Kingdom

Hi.
Im flying to yangon in march this year. i have been trying to get a permit to fly the drone and it has been unsuccessful. Some emails don't work, managed to speak by phone to the Department of Civil Aviation and they told me it should be done through the travel agency. got in touch with travel agency and they seemed completely uncooperative to help me. so very unsure if i should take my drone with me or not. does anyone have any further updates on the situation at yangon airport?
2018-1-30
Use props
fans1a0a6b04
New

United States

fans9f75ffa1 Posted at 2018-1-30 01:29
Hi.
Im flying to yangon in march this year. i have been trying to get a permit to fly the drone and it has been unsuccessful. Some emails don't work, managed to speak by phone to the Department of Civil Aviation and they told me it should be done through the travel agency. got in touch with travel agency and they seemed completely uncooperative to help me. so very unsure if i should take my drone with me or not. does anyone have any further updates on the situation at yangon airport?

I will be in Myanmar this April and I was wondering if you found out about anything with bringing the drone into Myanmar or any types of permits. I read that you were having difficulties trying to obtain a permit.
2018-2-12
Use props
alexvisbal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 601512 ft
Colombia

fans9f75ffa1 Posted at 2018-1-30 01:29
Hi.
Im flying to yangon in march this year. i have been trying to get a permit to fly the drone and it has been unsuccessful. Some emails don't work, managed to speak by phone to the Department of Civil Aviation and they told me it should be done through the travel agency. got in touch with travel agency and they seemed completely uncooperative to help me. so very unsure if i should take my drone with me or not. does anyone have any further updates on the situation at yangon airport?

Hey,

I called and wrote and got the same answer. I just took it and no problem at airport. I didnt fly in Yangon though, other areas I did.  I did arrive through a local flight but the international flights into the country I ran into 0 trouble regarding the drone.
2018-2-23
Use props
Chrissy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 539833 ft
Myanmar

Hi everyone,

Before my trip to Myanmar I had contacted the Ambassy of Myanmar. They told me I could bring it without problem as long as I declare it.

I then printed the email from the Ambassy, as well as my world wide insurance, pilot licence and Myanmar rules.

Unfortunately as I declared it they confiscated my drone when I entered the country on September 24 the 2018.

I could have bring it easily as they didn't check the luggage but it's against the law importation and I d strongly recommend not to mess with the laws here.

I haven't seen a drone in Myanmar. Surprisingly they sell some downtown. Knowing that I told the custom I could just buy a new drone. They said they are tracked by the government. I doubt.

Too bad. The country would have been incredible to film from the air. Well... I ll enjoy my vacations anyways

In short. No drones shall enter the country. Otherwise you risk big problems.
2018-9-27
Use props
Elpolo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10643 ft
France

There is not much out there indeed... but I went ahead and tried to sum it all in one post to refer to: https://www.drone-made.com/blog/myanmar-burma-drone-laws
Will let us know if any updates come along; I've asked local authorities to let me know when in place as well (little hope anyone will so will check regularly nevertheless).
2018-11-28
Use props
bautiprea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2654 ft
Argentina

Any updates? Im taking my Mavic 2 Pro on february. I sent many emails to agency, government, etc. Hope to get an anwser!
2019-1-4
Use props
bautiprea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2654 ft
Argentina

Elpolo Posted at 2018-11-28 07:44
There is not much out there indeed... but I went ahead and tried to sum it all in one post to refer to: https://www.drone-made.com/blog/myanmar-burma-drone-laws
Will let us know if any updates come along; I've asked local authorities to let me know when in place as well (little hope anyone will so will check regularly nevertheless).

Any updates brother?
2019-1-4
Use props
Elpolo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10643 ft
France

bautiprea Posted at 1-4 17:08
Any updates brother?

Nope sorry, no response..
2019-1-9
Use props
David_Rx8
lvl.1

Spain

Any update about this?

I'm traveling to Myanmar next month, i'd texted emails to many places of the government and i had no answers, 'ill be flying from Bangkok to Yangon and i'm so worried about it
2020-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules