Ruining RC community?!
4123 27 2015-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KobyLazar
lvl.1

United States

Hi everyone, I have been reading in many places that DJI is ruining the RC community. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this topic as I have not taken a stance nor will I as I am not educated enough about the subject (I havn't been a part of the community as long as others have been).

I was also wondering if there is a reason that DJI didn't set a limit on the height of the drone (some were saying it was to make moe money off of drones breaking) Thanks everyone! Please leave your opinion even if it is small
2015-1-7
Use props
travissrt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68555177 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why are people suggesting that DJI is ruining the RC community?  Just because of a height limit?  I think the individual operators have got to take some responsibility for their actions.  I commend DJI for constantly innovating and producing products that we are asking for!
2015-1-7
Use props
KobyLazar
lvl.1

United States

travissrt@gmail Posted at 2015-1-8 05:02
Why are people suggesting that DJI is ruining the RC community?  Just because of a height limit?  I  ...

I understand their standpoint though being that if you don't make it then you can't maintain it properly. I think they would have a "better" community if they worked on starting drones and what not and showing assembly videos.
2015-1-7
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Saying that DJI is ruining the RC community is like saying...
Gun manufacturers are responsible for people getting shot.
Sports car manufacturers are responsible for speeding accidents.
Fast food restaurants are responsible for obesity.

How something that a manufacturer makes is used is the responsibility of the user.

The DJI product works well, and many pilots who would have otherwise failed (crashed) are reliably airborne.
Once up there, many pilots lose their sense of responsibility (if they had it in the first place).

DJI is taking steps to set limits on how their product is used.
More users (at least on the forums) are criticizing them than praising them.

The I1 is a prosumer product not intended for a novice.
Consequently, the user should be able to determine his own limits.

My $.02...
2015-1-7
Use props
redleader
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I can't see why any accusations about ruining the RC industry can be levelled at DJI, I'd understand how some may say 'drones' are ruining the RC industry. Not agree with, but understand why it'd be said.

Drones aren't ruining the RC industry anymore than home-taping is ruining the music industry. It's a new, different industry with new, different customers, and applications.

I was also wondering if there is a reason that DJI didn't set a limit on the height of the drone

Because there is no legal requirement to, and they'd be crazy to do it and lose all most of their customer-base to a company that didn't.

They do the most they can to limit dangerous flying (restrictions on flying in restricted airspace etc) already, and I'm sure they'll comply with any and all future regulations and best-practices.

some were saying it was to make moe money off of drones breaking

This literally makes no sense, and is ridiculous.
2015-1-7
Use props
MTShipp
lvl.2

United States

To add, DJI limiting the use of the UAVs near airports is something I support. There are enough idiots out there with $100 "drones" making news headlines that are truly ruining the hobby by flying at or near airports. With DJI's innovative way of preventing high altitudes and even motor stoppage when near airports is a step in the right direction IMHO. You can't fix stupid but DJI is trying to at least limit their damage.
2015-1-7
Use props
KobyLazar
lvl.1

United States

darmino Posted at 2015-1-8 05:22
If an Inspire 1 free falls from 50ft, hell  maybe even 20ft, it would most likely be a complete loss ...

(Sigh...) Also the camera would be completely busted.
2015-1-7
Use props
KobyLazar
lvl.1

United States

MTShipp Posted at 2015-1-8 05:21
To add, DJI limiting the use of the UAVs near airports is something I support. There are enough idio ...

True, Also the 100 drones usually have no control at 100 feet anyways
2015-1-7
Use props
markosb1
lvl.2

United States

It would be the same as Apple ruining Computers, Phones etc.  DJI is basically taking flying away from being a toy and serious hobby to the masses.  They are going through the normal growing pains as a company, I do think they have serious issues that need to be addressed.   They claim to run like Apple, except the support and lack of something similar to Apple Care is what they lack that Apple has.

What I like and hate about DJI is that they  make a product the masses can use.  With the masses comes lots of user errors, same goes with any company that becomes popular.
2015-1-7
Use props
kkoole
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

To me it makes no difference what people think. Most of them just have a lot of privacy issues. What's happening whit drones right now was inevitable. Ever since the cold war aerial photography is growing, just take a look at google earth and streetview. You can't blame DJI. The people that want that much privacy should be the one to be investigated because they obviously have something to hide.

Also it's not that hard to make a drone yourself, only a bit more expensive. DJI is simply bringing it to the masses and personally I'm quite thankful for that. As an rc enthousiast and kit builder I truly admire there creations and the amount of detail by which they finish there products. The fact that they build in no fly zones in there equipment further establishes this.
2015-1-7
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

Naw..taint dji's fault..that is just silly.
The customer service may still need work,but they are trying to be a leader in safety it seems to me.
2015-1-7
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

The only people that are ruining the RC community are the stupid asses buying drones and flying them irresponsibly.  Do these idiots not realize that there are human beings in the airplanes flying in the skies above?  I am not only taking about the 747’s flying into international airports, I am talking about the Cessna’s, Cirrus’s and all other smaller aircraft that fly at lower altitudes.  I am a recreational pilot, flying an airplane is NOT like driving a car.  If you get a flat tire, run out of gas or get into a minor fender-bender in a car, the odds are you will be able to walk away.  A drone hitting an aircraft will not have a good outcome.
2015-1-7
Use props
KobyLazar
lvl.1

United States

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2015-1-8 08:41
The only people that are ruining the RC community are the stupid asses buying drones and flying them ...

I definitely agree with this! Those people really should have their drones taken away...
2015-1-19
Use props
jmac
lvl.2

Canada

I don't think it is ruining the community but we are probably causing their rules to change.  Just lately I have been invited to a local-ish (45 mins away) flying field that I never knew about once a member found out I had a P2. When I find out when they will be there, I intend on going to show them what its all about. I think they are just as interested as we are in the technology. The problem is that no one is going there to show them what these things can do. All they hear is the negativity that is fed to them via the media. I have let people in my area know I have one and they all seem interested in it. One of my (amateur) photo made it seven minutes in Facebook before a friend used it as a cover photo. There will always be bad apples and because of that I usually don't like to (but I do) tell people that I can fly one of these fancy contraptions. I will set a Max height of 400 feet and try to work around the hills once I receive my Inspire 1.
2015-1-20
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2015-1-8 05:09
Gun manufacturers are responsible for  ...

Couldn't agree more ! newbie flyers of rc jump right in ,
Just make sure you can swim ! Or crash and Burn .
2015-1-20
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

Them thar horseless carriages are ruining life for pedestrians.
2015-1-20
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
                                                           ___Socrates
2015-1-20
Use props
martinbk66
lvl.2
United States

I think this sums it up pretty well:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

DJI is not ruining the RC community, in the end it will be the individual utilizing the technology that will enhance or ruin the overall perception of the RC community.  

My two bits.  
2015-1-20
Use props
christensonphot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 392129 ft

United States

martinbk66 Posted at 2015-1-21 07:38
I think this sums it up pretty well:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius ha ...

Great Quote Martinbk66.
2015-1-20
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2015-1-8 05:09
Gun manufacturers are responsible for  ...

A good man should always know his limits !
2015-1-20
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

KobyLazar Posted at 2015-1-8 05:05
I understand their standpoint though being that if you don't make it then you can't maintain it pr ...

That's like saying that people who make their own guns are less likely to kill people.
2015-1-21
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

markosb1@gmail. Posted at 2015-1-8 05:41
It would be the same as Apple ruining Computers, Phones etc.  DJI is basically taking flying away fr ...

actually, that's like saying iPhones are ruining social graces. There's no accounting for common sense, prudence, and good manners
2015-1-21
Use props
KobyLazar
lvl.1

United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-1-21 17:26
actually, that's like saying iPhones are ruining social graces. There's no accounting for common s ...

This is true I guess
2015-1-22
Use props
J79qSNjXsrYc
New

United States

In my opinion FPV drone pilots have already completely ruined the R/C aircraft hobby.  Here's why - prior to 2012 there weren't any restrictions on R/C aircraft as the majority of user's policed themselves through their local R/C clubs.  As long as R/C pilots flew within the flight lines at the local club the rules were pretty minimal.  it was quite common for us to winch launch our sailplanes or fly our airplanes above 500 feet  as long as visual line of sight was maintained.  Due to that rule most flew their planes below 1000 feet as they would become a tiny spec at that height.  Again there wasn't any limitation imposed, you had to use your best judgement.   

However as of 2012, we now have a very burdensome set of rules that were officially made law as a result of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act.  This law was created due to near collisions of commercial aircraft with FPV drones.   The law imposes that we must not fly higher than 400 feet.   Still more burdensome, we must now notify every airport, within 5 miles of our vicinity, of our plans to fly.  This means if I plan to fly my Trex 250 in my local park, I will have to notify three airports - one of which is a hospital heli-pad, and the other two are helicopter maintenance facilities.   This is the most ridiculous oppressive legislation - I have to notify the airports before I essentially fly what is considered a toy helicopter.   

I really enjoy this hobby, I have been enjoying for 30 years.  The  careless FPV drone pilots have ruined it.   In my opinion all FPV drones should be banned but regular line of sight R/C aircraft should continue to be lawful under pre-2012 legislation.  
2016-9-18
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

J79qSNjXsrYc Posted at 2016-9-19 01:21
In my opinion FPV drone pilots have already completely ruined the R/C aircraft hobby.  Here's why -  ...

And do you think anyone obeys the government oppression? I dont. Its common sense not to fly near an airport I dont need a law for that. Smart people will not follow a law because they know what they do without it, idiots will not follow a law because they dont understand it anyway.

The problem is also not so much that insane people try to fly into a plane - the problem is that anyone can buy a drone and many are too stupid! to understand how it works and cannot even understand how altitude is calculated. And will a law help here?

Yes this idiot you remember from school who couldnt count until 100 can still go in a shop an buy a drone and (try to) fly it.

However in am sure 70% of buyers destroy their drone within three months. Thats why drones are still rather rare in the sky though so many have been sold. When I am flying there is ALWAYS someone coming and telling me he also had a drone but its somewhere on this rock there or never returned or ........
2016-9-19
Use props
werner.daehn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

All true but also the quantity is a quality of its own. In the early ages of manned flight there had not been any rules either.
Then some authority came and defined streets in the air - airways. How stupid is that!?!? It was necessary due to the amount of planes and their various goals - transportation, recreational flights, flying over cities...
And now the governments try to regulate drones, with their own tendency to cover each case and everybody.

Best would be if we all obey the rules by the word, yes, thousands of people calling your local heliport saying that they are going to fly an RC toy in 5 meter height max. That will change something because it costs others money.

For me, personally, I frankly don't understand the ultimate goal of all these regulations. And Europe is worse, there a drone with a camera is no problem, but as soon as you turn on the camera and take videos, it possess so much risk, you need to apply for a flight permit (=a commercial flight). And this is not related to you taking a video of some stranger, that law you have to obey anyhow in addition.

I would have said, everything below 100 meter and no other persons in reach - do whatever you want. Autonomous, filming yourself, whatever. Below 5kg there can even be buildings, but no people still.
If you want to film somebody else you have to have insurance.
And if you want to fly with heavier things or over crowded places, that is when regulation kicks in big time.
All drones have to have a sticker with the owner or if you like, an online registration process to bind the serial number to an address - assuming my self built drone even has a serial number.

Who gives a damn if you fly FPV with 2km range all by yourself in the desert? Right?

@Machoman: Just got the flight permit from Austro Control.
http://wdaehn.blogspot.co.at/201 ... er-drohne-ulfz.html (German)

2016-9-19
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can fly FPV with an observer under 107.31

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.
2016-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules