Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Waterproof?
26675 22 2016-2-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveG
New

United Kingdom

In the "Introducing DJI Osmo" video () at 0.09 seconds in there is a guy doing a selfie video running into the sea with his Osmo.

Is the Osmo splash proof, waterproof or are there covers available for being this wreckless?

If not - then the scene really should not be in the video?
2016-2-29
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

No the osmo isn't spash proof at al!, if you look at the footage at 0.04 the jetski gets the camera wet,was this shot with the osmo? who knows!,from what I know there are no covers or water proofing for the osmo.
2016-2-29
Use props
sdchew
lvl.4

Singapore

It will probably work for a short period of time when its wet... how long will that last is another question...
2016-2-29
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

The Osmo is not water-proof, a little drops on the plastic cover is OK, however, we would recommended keeping it away from water for sake of its safety of inner electronic components.
2016-2-29
Use props
khendrix2
lvl.1

So was the the "Introducing DJI Osmo" video shot exclusively on the Osmo or was footage from other cameras used? This is a legitimate question.
2016-2-29
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-1 05:53
The Osmo is not water-proof, a little drops on the plastic cover is OK, however, we would recommende ...

Don't recall the company that was advertising a new phone by showing off its camera capabilities, but they did not realize that the video caught a reflection of the professional camera recording the footage. Yet the same company still makes huge profits selling their falsely advertised products. In the case of OSMO, I think the most obvious false advertising is in the technical specs which describe the audio output as 2 Channels, when in fact the OSMO is only capable to record MONO even when an external mic is attached.
But the past is in the past and those of us buying these products early with only the advertisement and specs available for evaluation at the time of purchase took a high risk of not meeting our expectations and requirements. Thus, I want to take this opportunity to suggest DJI a way to show fairness to their loyal customers. Products updates / upgrades could be offered with reasonable price difference charged. Lets say OSMO 2 will be released and OSMO owners would like to exchange by only paying the price difference between the 2 versions of the product (assuming mint condition of the item). Similar offers could be available for upgrades from older or lower models to higher end models like Inspire 1 Pro, X3 camera to X5 camera, and so on. Any used item can be refurbished if necessary and re-sold with a discounted price to those having lower budgets.
My suggestion might sound risky for a business, yet better than offering full refund to customers complaining that the units purchased do not meet the advertised expectations or having unacceptable flaws.
Regards,
Bogdan
2016-2-29
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

khendrix2 Posted at 2016-3-1 11:59
So was the the "Introducing DJI Osmo" video shot exclusively on the Osmo or was footage from other c ...

It's an introducing video for Osmo, we don't hear from the video that all the footage is shot by Osmo, do we? Please concentrate on the introducing specialties of Osmo being told and thanks for your concern! DJI will take care of the legitimate issue, please never worry about that.
2016-2-29
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-1 12:51
Don't recall the company that was advertising a new phone by showing off its camera capabilities,  ...

Thanks for your feedback!

About the audio output issue, our engineer will keeping working on it to improve, thanks for your concern.
Speaking of showing fairness to loyal customers, please refer to this thread about free Flex Mic: http://forum.dji.com/thread-41795-1-1.html
We care about all of our customer's needs, especially who is keeping supporting DJI all the time. Please just pay more attention to our official public release for more welfare for our precious customers!
2016-2-29
Use props
bornish
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-1 11:14
Thanks for your feedback!

About the audio output issue, our engineer will keeping working on it t ...

Thank you Adela.
I do know about the free external mic and really appreciate the effort, same as I have appreciated the free safe prop locks given after purchasing my Inspire 1. Even though the local dealer told me they will have to pay for transportation if I request the FlexiMic for my OSMO, I can live without it since I have 4 mics I can attach to the OSMO depending on the situation. But the fact that the OSMO does not record stereo signal even from an external mic is a much bigger problem because the only workaround is to use an external audio recorder which has the following disadvantages:
- paid approx. $250 for a good quality portable stereo recorder
- bulkier and heavier setup with audio recorder attached
- paid license for PluralEyes for syncing external audio with recorded video or else waste a long time to manual obtain the same output
- post processing always required even when no editing is desired / needed
Hope you see my posts as they really are: constructive criticism.
If I did not like DJI or their products I would have not purchased so many and would not even be on these forums wasting precious time. But please understand that there's always room for improvement and our feedback should be considered valuable input. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging past mistakes and working on future fixes and QA put in place such as the same errors do not occur again. Companies, like people mature in time... but only if they wish to.
Regards,
Bogdan  
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-1 16:35
Thank you Adela.
I do know about the free external mic and really appreciate the effort, same as I ...

We really appreciate your sincere comments and we hear you. DJI, as a company, just like you stated above, is like a growing man, we need your support and would like to grow up together with all of you based on our mutual benefits. Thanks!
2016-3-1
Use props
rodAndTheCat
First Officer

New Zealand

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-1 22:52
We really appreciate your sincere comments and we hear you. DJI, as a company, just like you state ...

My God!! if it gets any more syrupy and nauseating I will take up oregami!!!

Rod and the ( nauseated ) cat. (Just yacking up om the deck!!!)
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-3-1 19:25
My God!! if it gets any more syrupy and nauseating I will take up oregami!!!

Rod and the ( nausea ...

You're very lovely!
2016-3-1
Use props
rodAndTheCat
First Officer

New Zealand

I know I am- either lovely or just plain stupid to keep feeding DJI money for products that are never up to spec when released.{:3_50:}

Rod and the (even lovelier) cat
2016-3-1
Use props
khendrix2
lvl.1

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-1 15:06
It's an introducing video for Osmo, we don't hear from the video that all the footage is shot by O ...

There's no "legitimacy" in a camera company using cameras that they don't manufacture to promote their own brand. If you're going to manufacture and sell cameras, why would you shoot your own promotional materials using equipment manufactured by your competitors, unless it was to mislead your potential costomers? This is dishonest at best.

Of course the video doesn't say that all of the footage is shot using the Osmo. That leaves it wide open for you to use whatever looks best. So let's just say it was all shot using Panavision cameras and Stedicams.  Your customers certainly won't be able to match the results that you are promoting using the equipment that you are selling. Do you NOT see a huge problem with that?

The only thing that keeps it from being blatantly false advertising is that the video doesn't actually say that the Osmo was used (at all) in the making of the video. However, the use of the Osmo is certainly implied.

So, was the Osmo even used in the making of the promotional video? If so, which shots were actually acquired using the Osmo?
2016-3-3
Use props
khendrix2
lvl.1

Is this thing on?
2016-3-4
Use props
khendrix2
lvl.1

I think that I brought up some honest and valid questions that deserve to be answered.
2016-3-6
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

khendrix2 Posted at 2016-3-4 12:02
There's no "legitimacy" in a camera company using using cameras that they don't manufacture to pro ...

We did do some processing job on this introduction, but there's no doubt that it complies with the regulations.
2016-3-6
Use props
PhotoProEvent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118806 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi, i tested it at skiing in les 2 alpes.
2016-3-7
Use props
PhotoProEvent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118806 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi, i tested it at skiing in les 2 alpes. I got some snow on it and it went to water after 30 min, it still work fine, though i took the wet off after 2 hours. So i guess it can hold a little bit water as long it doesn't reach the electronic part.
2016-3-7
Use props
khendrix2
lvl.1

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-7 15:15
We did do some processing job on this introduction, but there's no doubt that it complies with the ...

So, was the Osmo even used in the making of the promotional video? If so, which shots were actually acquired using the Osmo?
2016-3-7
Use props
khendrix2
lvl.1

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-7 15:15
We did do some processing job on this introduction, but there's no doubt that it complies with the ...

"Processing job" and "con job" are two different things. I don't even care if this video actually complies with any regulations. The use of the Osmo in the making of this video is most certainly implied. Anyone not familiar with dishonest trade practices would undoubtedly assume that at least some of the footage was acquired using equipment manufactured by the advertiser.

The fact that DJI used their competitor’s products to advertise their own product without acknowledging that there might be something unethical about their doing so is extremely troubling.

How would DJI respond if someone were to make a video with extremely poor images using inferior quality cameras made by your competitors, with the clear implication that the video was made using DJI products? Would this be envisioned as an attempt to mislead the viewer? Of course it would!

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
~Alan K. Simpson
2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

PhotoProEvent Posted at 2016-3-7 21:24
Hi, i tested it at skiing in les 2 alpes. I got some snow on it and it went to water after 30 min, i ...

You're right! However, please be care for the water, after all, the Osmo is not water-proof. Have fun!
2016-3-8
Use props
khendrix2
lvl.1

United States

How would DJI respond if someone were to make a video with extremely poor images using inferior quality cameras made by your competitors, with the clear implication that the video was made using DJI products? Would this be envisioned as an attempt to mislead the viewer?

Was the Osmo even used in the making of the promotional video? If so, which shots were actually acquired using the Osmo?

Four questions. How about some answers?
2016-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules