Active obstacle avoidance question mark
1088 12 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GoDrone.me
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45928 ft
Malta

So it seems an awesome feature, but by the looks of it, this is front facing and not 360 degrees, what good will this do when orbiting and focusing on the subject in the cente?
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

While orbiting you still need to be aware of your surroundings.
The obstacle avoidance range is 60 degrees to the sides and 30 degrees up/down.
2016-3-1
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-2 02:36
While orbiting you still need to be aware of your surroundings.
The obstacle avoidance range is 60 d ...

So not so good for close quarters flying inspections?
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-3-2 02:51
So not so good for close quarters?

It will work better than you think, wait until you get yours (hope you buy it) and you'll see how incredible it is.
2016-3-1
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-2 02:54
It will work better than you think, wait until you get yours (hope you buy it) and you'll see how  ...

I do need it for pipe inspections for water  company. Sadly camera is not interchangeable so it would take a flir thermal camera also.

Opps wishful thinking

2016-3-1
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

what if you have a tree behind you and it avoids the thing in front and bangs into the thing in the back?  I tree
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Michael M Posted at 2016-3-2 04:16
what if you have a tree behind you and it avoids the thing in front and bangs into the thing in the  ...

If you go through a tree and the one ahead is huge, it will stop and climb (not go backwards)
2016-3-1
Use props
GoDrone.me
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45928 ft
Malta

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-1 19:54
It will work better than you think, wait until you get yours (hope you buy it) and you'll see how  ...

Guess seeing is believing ;)

Really don't want to be a negative nancy, complaining about these new features without even having used them, it's just that I would have made this feature 360 degrees or at least one in each leg
2016-3-1
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft

GoDrone.me Posted at 2016-3-2 04:38
Guess seeing is believing ;)

Really don't want to be a negative nancy, complaining about these ne ...

It works in the direction it looks. So "normal" and "tap" modes being straight ahead might not be a problem. But what about "active track" mode when the P4 flys sideways or transitions into backward dirctions, e.g. when the target starts moving in the opposite direction...?
2016-3-1
Use props
sfcordova
lvl.1

United States

I would have really liked if not 360 obstacle avoidance, at least two more sensors in the forward facing direction of the camera and at least two sensors in the rear of the P4 (from the camera's perspective).  I guess there still needs to be a high level of pilot experience when not flying in the same direction as the camera is facing.  That's okay, but I've been seeing videos where DJI suggests that you don't need to have much experience piloting.  In my case, I'm happy with the new system as having the collision avoidance sensors in the P4 will only help me fly better, but I would still rely on my own sight and experience to make sure I don't crash.  Interestingly enough, I just crashed my P3 Pro last month.  I was flying in cold weather and had the latest firmware upgrade which was supposed to help with the batteries in cold weather flying.  I was at about 30% battery and around 300ft in the air.  I decided to bring it down to not risk any issues as I had noticed a quick descent in battery life on that particular flight.  As it was maybe 20ft in the air, I was very near some elevated train tracks that were supported by cement columns.  I thought it would be a nice shot if I flew in between them.  My first attempt was not straight down the center as there was a bit of wind.  I was going for a second try when my battery was somewhere around 25%, I don't remember exactly, wherever the controller gives you a Low battery warning.  I decided to land it, but since there was snow on the ground, I turned my head for 1 bleeping second to look for a dry spot to land and the RTH took over!!!!!  In a split second and because I was underneath the train tracks, it flew straight up.  I tried taking over but it was too late.  It crashed straight into the tracks and came down about 50 feet.  Frame bent and landing gear broken.  I bought a new shell, and replaced the motors.  One motor wouldn't spin.  After troubleshooting by moving motors around, found the problem to be the ESC. Found a main board with new motors on Ebay for $340.  Around $500 later, drone is up and flying but I occasionally get the jello effect from the gimbal.  Adjusted gimbal after the crash and close to being back to normal.  I blamed myself for the crash, but if it would have had a sensor on top. it would have saved me $500.  Anyhow, my P3P is 90% back to normal, but that 10% I am missing is a perfect excuse to get the new P4.
2016-3-1
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

United States

OK.
Who is going to take this bad boy up to it's max speed of 44mph and run it directly at the wall to check the Obstacle Avoidance.
Let me know if it works.

2016-3-1
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

mcphipps900 Posted at 2016-3-1 19:27
OK.
Who is going to take this bad boy up to it's max speed of 44mph and run it directly at the wall  ...

Most likely will smash into the wall as collision avoidance is recommended in slow mode which is slower then the phantom 3 full speed.
2016-3-1
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

Still, would you try it?
2016-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules