Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4: limit altitude of 400 feet
105207 177 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans5f9bf51f Posted at 2017-5-29 13:28
Whose is bigger? cmon fella cut me some slack. I just want to fly my drone OKAY?

I'm not going to argue about who is in charge and where I live or you live. Better yet, I can always spend my "Tourist" Dollars elseswhere.

Size has nothing to do with it, but you go to great lengths to point out what a law abiding person you are, I simply pointed you towards the rules that apply in the UK, and also an application to let you know what type of airspace you're in. Even supposing you could fly to the top of a mountain you would likely be beyond visual line of sight, which is also specified as 500m as set by the CAA. And in the UK it is a criminal offence to endanger any aircraft.

Regarding the tourist Dollars I have many friends who have visited Disney Land in Florida to see Donald & Co, so that cuts both ways.
2017-5-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans5f9bf51f Posted at 2017-5-29 13:21
If you can't afford to have streets wider than 4 feet on the left side of the road then you certainly don't have "Ski Lifts" on every mountain.

I maintained Glideslopes, Localizers, Tacan and VOR as well as the Middle Marker Beacons for the U.S.A.F. otherwise know as Navaids.

"DJI can and is well capable of creating with all the sensors a way to detect real time altitude at the drone's location at all times."

Dream on.   
Have a look at what radar altimeters cost and how much they weigh.
2017-5-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If you can't afford to have streets wider than 4 feet on the left side of the road then you certainly don't have "Ski Lifts" on every mountain.

I maintained Glideslopes, Localizers, Tacan and VOR as well as the Middle Marker Beacons for the U.S.A.F. otherwise know as Navaids.

'If a jet jock is flying 500 meters above any local peak over my time share I stayed in he is not where he should be.'

If the RAF or the CAA in the UK want to designate any area as a low flying area, that is their prerogative. You are a visitor in their country, and while there you abide by their laws.
2017-5-29
Use props
fans5f9bf51f
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-29 15:11
'If a jet jock is flying 500 meters above any local peak over my time share I stayed in he is not where he should be.'

If the RAF or the CAA in the UK want to designate any area as a low flying area, that is their prerogative. You are a visitor in their country, and while there you abide by their laws.

I'm done with this forum. It's useless. Full of pontificating self righteous experts. People, surely you understand why everyone that doesn't like flying under restrictions means they are going to do whatever they want to do, this is a part of human nature that has been with us since Adam bit the apple.

This is born out by the many complaints by numerous posts in this very forum.

My first encounter with the forum was to be ripped to shreds by people who know everything about everything you guys can have it, nothing here for me.

Will close my account after you read my final post.
2017-5-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans5f9bf51f Posted at 2017-5-29 18:16
I'm done with this forum. It's useless. Full of pontificating self righteous experts. People, surely you understand why everyone that doesn't like flying under restrictions means they are going to do whatever they want to do, this is a part of human nature that has been with us since Adam bit the apple.

This is born out by the many complaints by numerous posts in this very forum.

That's fine. We can do without people who show no regard for the law, particularly when visiting other countries.
2017-5-29
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

About 2 miles from here there is a street that is only 2 feet 1 inch wide, I don't recall anyone wanting to widen it, certainly cost is not an issue, I suspect there would be an outcry if anyone tried to widen it!

Of course there weren't many super wide American vehicles about back in the 14th century when it was created, don't think America had even invented the wheel at the time ;)

It is a fundamental requirement that you fly safely, and that requires being able to avoid other aircraft.  When flying up and over the peak of a mountain, unless you are located on the peak you will not be able to see and probably not hear any aircraft approaching from the other side and thus your flight is going to be unsafe.  There may be other drones, there may be a rescue helicopter, there may be low flying military jets, etc.

Our low fly zones do allow for flight well below 500m, in fact they allow for flight well below 400ft and so you should check with the RAF before flying in them.  And remember that they are used for training your own pilots as well as ours:

2017-5-29
Use props
fans5f9bf51f
lvl.1

United States

Really!? Wow . . . So how does that effect people without drones? Ever hear of Jet Wash? And you want to argue about that? You guys have no idea what your talking about. I worked on a flight line for many years in the U.S. Air Force. You will never convince me that the almighty British goverment willy-nilly flies around so low as to endanger innocent people where they have no way of knowing they are present or not.

You talk for argument sake . . . your image above is at an air show.

Don't think for an instant someone would not get yanked by their short-hairs if they were buzzing a Time Share conducting peaceful business by the owners of that business.

You guys spend to much time in this Forum for your points. I found numerous replies where others have encountered the same animus and acerbic attitudes. I have reported it to DJI. You are not the last word like you think you are on things discussed here.

You need to respect others and the reason they come here. Trolling to add your negative two cents is not appreciated.
2017-5-30
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans5f9bf51f Posted at 2017-5-30 03:12
Really!? Wow . . . So how does that effect people without drones? Ever hear of Jet Wash? And you want to argue about that? You guys have no idea what your talking about. I worked on a flight line for many years in the U.S. Air Force. You will never convince me that the almighty British goverment willy-nilly flies around so low as to endanger innocent people where they have no way of knowing they are present or not.

"You will never convince me that the almighty British goverment willy-nilly flies around so low as to endanger innocent people where they have no way of knowing they are present or not."

You are correct in what you say, that's why I gave you a link to their time tables for flying, which can be very often when NATO exercises are in operation each year in the North of Scotland and Wales to name but two areas. I think the video above is mostly Wales. Lots of videos on the tube showing live low altitude flying in the UK.

And yes some do complain http://www.scotsman.com/news/sco ... itary-jets-1-550026

2017-5-30
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

fans5f9bf51f Posted at 2017-5-30 03:12

"You talk for argument sake . . . your image above is at an air show."

No, that is not an air show!  That is normal low level training, which includes a number of USAF pilots.

As stated by others, the times for low flying are published and so a number of aeroplane enthusiasts make the trip to the low fly areas to watch and make videos.

I used to live in one of the low level flying areas so know perfectly well what happens and have watched planes flying below me on many occasions, also seen the tree tops blowing around in the wakes, on one occasion I was driving down a road very near the location in that video and instinctively hit the brakes when a plane came around the next corner!   If you want to fly a drone safely in one of those areas, and they are large areas, then you check the timetable.
2017-5-30
Use props
fans5f9bf51f
lvl.1

United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-5-30 04:18
"You talk for argument sake . . . your image above is at an air show."

No, that is not an air show!  That is normal low level training, which includes a number of USAF pilots.

Bro, your image says Air Show on it . . .
2017-5-30
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

fans5f9bf51f Posted at 2017-5-30 04:32
Bro, your image says Air Show on it . . .

That is just the name of the people who posted the video:
https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/AI ... /?ref=page_internal

The location is just a mountainside in Wales with free access to everyone and with steep valley sides so that you are guaranteed to get close to the planes, a nice place to walk unless you don't like loud noises!  It is regularly used for training pilots, often weekly depending on the weather.
2017-5-30
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

Ignore him, just we can fly faster while lower than his airforce

2017-5-30
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

Mallettron Posted at 2017-5-30 12:41
Ignore him, just we can fly faster while lower than his airforce

Indeed, that is why they need stealth planes, because they fly in full view of the missiles!
2017-5-30
Use props
jeffm
lvl.1

United States

#Quick Reply Here#https://forum.dji.com/thread-103857-1-1.html
2017-8-9
Use props
jeffm
lvl.1

United States

https://forum.dji.com/thread-103857-1-1.html Here's the solution
2017-8-9
Use props
fans26ce4843
New

United States

Highlander Brow Posted at 2016-3-1 11:11
That´s what I am wondering and it seems nobody actually care. DJI Phanton 4 looks ok even if it is not a technological leap..But, what about Altitude limit? In Inspire and Phantom 3, max. altitude is "6000 m (Default altitude limit: 120 m above takeoff point))". Actually, you can set max altitude to 500 m .  But if you read carefully Specs fort he new DJI Phantom 4,  it literally says 19685 feet (6000 m)  (Software altitude limit: 400 feet above takeoff point). What does this mean? I already find too limiting 500 m above takeoff point, especially when flying in Mountain areas or in cliffs by the sea, or simply deep valleys.  Has effective altitude limit above takeoff  changed to 400 feet ?.Does anyone know? The different wording in Specs really make it suspicious.

I just found out that you have to upgrade the firmware. I did that and was able to set the max altitude to 500 m. It than has a statement that you have altered the max and you have to agree.
2018-8-17
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>

fans26ce4843 Posted at 2018-8-17 11:46
I just found out that you have to upgrade the firmware. I did that and was able to set the max altitude to 500 m. It than has a statement that you have altered the max and you have to agree.

Upgrading the firmware to be able to fly at 500m (1640ft) is not necessary, the option to fly up to 500m above ground level has always been there. The 500m limit is written into firmware on aircraft.
As an update it was written into UK law and effective from 30th July this year that it is a criminal offence to fly a multirotor more than 400ft above ground level in U.K.
2018-8-17
Use props
videyeo7
New
United States

Highlander Brow Posted at 2016-3-1 11:11
That´s what I am wondering and it seems nobody actually care. DJI Phanton 4 looks ok even if it is not a technological leap..But, what about Altitude limit? In Inspire and Phantom 3, max. altitude is "6000 m (Default altitude limit: 120 m above takeoff point))". Actually, you can set max altitude to 500 m .  But if you read carefully Specs fort he new DJI Phantom 4,  it literally says 19685 feet (6000 m)  (Software altitude limit: 400 feet above takeoff point). What does this mean? I already find too limiting 500 m above takeoff point, especially when flying in Mountain areas or in cliffs by the sea, or simply deep valleys.  Has effective altitude limit above takeoff  changed to 400 feet ?.Does anyone know? The different wording in Specs really make it suspicious.

I once stated that the obvious reasons for altitude limitations is to avoid collisions with aircraft. I don't have a problem with this, however as the altitude for the drones diminishes to the underside of a toad's belly, the ability to take eye popping video is gone.

The solution I stated at the time was to provide a laser or some other sensor that let's you remain 400 meters above the ground irregardless of the take off point. This way both the safety requirements are met and you could then fly over mountains and such.

At the time I made this statement I was jumped all over by two smart aleck Brits/Aussie who lurk in here and build their street cred off of replying (mostly negatively) to statements such as I made.

It's still a very viable engineering option given the abilities that DJI has already engineered.
2019-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules