Phantom 4: limit altitude of 400 feet
105534 177 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

You are answering a very old thread. It began a long time ago and was full of hysterical responses to a perceived limit on the height to which you could lfy. Many people, including myself, have flown way higher, I have been up to 500 Metres or 1640 feet.
2016-8-14
Use props
fans3fd3c372
New

United States

Have any of you folks seen the drone fails on YouTube?  THAT's why there is an altitude limitation.  There are a LOT of young irresponsible morons out there that will eventually bring down an airliner.  DJI didn't set the altitude limitation...  the FAA did.  DJI is just covering their butts against the immature gamers and hackers that take delight in mischief... as in blinding airline pilots with lasers.  First time a drone-caused disaster happens who do you think they sue first?  ... yep, DJI.
2016-12-1
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

Everyone confused at the beginner mode initial limit. You can easily change it in settings to 500m.
2016-12-1
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

HMMM, when I registered my drone with the FAA, I agreed not to fly it above 400 feet.  Perhaps this is where this figure came from.
Thanks,
WA5TEF
2016-12-4
Use props
fans5370f1e4
lvl.2
Ukraine

Look this link : https://www.dji.com/mobile/phantom-4/info
It show max at 6000m
2017-1-24
Use props
fans5370f1e4
lvl.2
Ukraine

Highlander Brow Posted at 2016-3-1 11:11
That´s what I am wondering and it seems nobody actually care. DJI Phanton 4 looks ok even if it is not a technological leap..But, what about Altitude limit? In Inspire and Phantom 3, max. altitude is "6000 m (Default altitude limit: 120 m above takeoff point))". Actually, you can set max altitude to 500 m .  But if you read carefully Specs fort he new DJI Phantom 4,  it literally says 19685 feet (6000 m)  (Software altitude limit: 400 feet above takeoff point). What does this mean? I already find too limiting 500 m above takeoff point, especially when flying in Mountain areas or in cliffs by the sea, or simply deep valleys.  Has effective altitude limit above takeoff  changed to 400 feet ?.Does anyone know? The different wording in Specs really make it suspicious.

Look at this link: https://www.dji.com/mobile/phantom-4/info
It show max at 6000m
2017-1-24
Use props
Warnberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24764 ft
United States

Wanna know why there is an altitude limit of any kind?  

1)
2)

This is just a couple examples and there are hundreds more.. consider the possibility of a collision with a small plane, say a Cessna with a family of 4 on board...    Very irresponsible if you ask me.. but hey I'm just one guy...
2017-1-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fans5370f1e4 Posted at 2017-1-24 10:40
Look at this link: https://www.dji.com/mobile/phantom-4/info
It show max at 6000m

That figure refers to the maximum operating altitude, in other words the maximum altitude that the aircraft will operate at, it has nothing to do with the altitdue limit. In other words, if you climb to the top of a mountain at 6000 Metres, you can then fly another 500 Metres above that level, and thats it.
2017-1-24
Use props
fans878a219c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4642 ft
Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-1 17:08
Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

Hi, im new on the forum, does anyone know what the max altitude is on the Dji p3 4k? I can only see 120m altitude as max when i read specs. But is it possible to switch to 500m? Im living in sweden with the CE version.. would be happy for answer before i buy
2017-3-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fans878a219c Posted at 2017-3-15 14:28
Hi, im new on the forum, does anyone know what the max altitude is on the Dji p3 4k? I can only see 120m altitude as max when i read specs. But is it possible to switch to 500m? Im living in sweden with the CE version.. would be happy for answer before i buy

The CE version has nothing to do with the maximum altitude, you can adjust the maximum altitude to 500 Metres maximum.
2017-3-15
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Jacques850 Posted at 2016-3-1 12:32
Would you please explain us the real, legal or marketing reason  to create that new and unpleasant restriction for what appeared as a so handsome new product ?

He wrote 500m not 400ft.   Tha fact is all DJI drones have a max 500m height limit from the place of launch.  The altitude the drone is capable of flying is 6000m.

So you cannot fly up to 6000m unless you are already at 5500m. Who says you cannot fly your drone high above mountainous terrain I do so nearly everyday.

2017-3-15
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Jacques850 Posted at 2016-3-1 12:52
I'm not living in USA.
Why am I forced to flight below 120 meters ?

Ask the FAA that has nothing to do with DJI. The same as you cannot fly over National Parks in the USA.

If you are outside the USA then know the flight rules for your area. If I fly in Taipei City I am limited to 60m max height. Outside of Taipei city in other areas there are no restrictions.
2017-3-15
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

iPilot Posted at 2016-3-1 13:46
The 400ft Limit is a default setting after you come out of Beginner Mode. You can then change that 400ft setting to anything up to 500mts. It's on the page about Beginner Mode.
BEGINNER MODEThe Phantom 4’s beginner mode limits Beginner flyers to 100ft (30m) up and away. It also prevents camera tilt controls to allow beginner pilots to familiarize themselves with flying before adding more distance and camera control. When beginner mode is switched off, the Phantom 4 will default to a maximum flight altitude of 390ft (120m) above the takeoff point. This can be adjusted to a maximum of 1640ft (500m). You can also set your own maximum distance.

Too many people can't be bothered to read anymore they just make up stuff on the internet then it becomes truth.  If they had done any reading they would have spent less time understanding the height limits than they spend moaning about their lack of understanding and claiming DJI drones have a lower height limit than advertised.  It's the internet age where they want instant information but can't take the time to actually comprehend anything.
2017-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans878a219c Posted at 2017-3-15 14:28

In the settings you an change it to 500m.
2017-3-15
Use props
Bugout
New
Flight distance : 89081 ft
United States

highflyerone@ho Posted at 2016-3-1 13:07
What doe's this mean? From DJI's web site.
Beginner Mode

I tried to adjust this setting from 120 to 500 and it automatically defaults back to 120 when you try to close the settings
2017-4-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bugout Posted at 2017-4-4 20:07
I tried to adjust this setting from 120 to 500 and it automatically defaults back to 120 when you try to close the settings

That's because you didn't have the Phantom connected.
The setting has to be stored in the Phantom.
2017-4-4
Use props
Bugout
New
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-4-4 20:11

By connected, do you mean connected to the remote by wire or just linked ? I was trying to change it while the phantom 4 pro was on standby on the ground linked up , but not wired.
2017-4-4
Use props
Bugout
New
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-4-4 20:11

By connected, do you mean connected to the remote by wire or just linked ? I was trying to change it while the phantom 4 pro was on standby on the ground linked up , but not wired.
2017-4-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bugout Posted at 2017-4-4 20:18

Then you didn't click the Go button after you put the number in.
2017-4-5
Use props
Nelsonretreat
New
Flight distance : 251667 ft
New Zealand

Here in New Zealand we have a legal limit of 120 metres.  At first I thought this was quite restrictive but after doing about 3000 KM's driving round the South Island with my drone I have learnt a lot about local aviation!. Yes, the CAA has maps which show the 4km exclusions around small airports, but what surprised me was the volume of air activity associated with agriculture and forestry. On more that one occasion I realised that a helicopter was operating close by to where I was flying.   I have no idea if this is the same in other countries but It was a sobering wake up call to how much is actually flying around at low altitude out there!

The University of Canterbury in New Zealand is researching ways to allow more drones near air corridors and have a special 100 sq km facility near Christchurch where they can try out new technology away from air routes. The CAA here is apparently supportive of the research into how drones can be made safer especially for commercial users who deperately would like to fly without the restriction of line of sight. Ideally, of course, all drones would have transponders lke aircraft but the challenges of getting some workable system are pretty huge.

Foir those of you who want to fly drones as high as you want I would just say that having a helicopter appear over a hill near wherre you are flying is a pretty scary experience. You suddently realise that the consequences of a drone hitting a chopper's rotor blades could be catastrophic.  
2017-4-5
Use props
fansb0844b03
New
Australia

A new mode is coming out as a firmware upgrade, it is called "BadBoy" Mode it will allow you to fly to 5000meters and will give a "Turbo" Boost to attain a speed of 150kmh for a short time!!   Now that would be good wouldn't it??  Pity I was dreaming
2017-4-5
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

While it would be cool to do something like this safely, I am happy (and even sometimes scared to go up to 120 meters). I live in Florida, and I have learned that the wind even 15 meters (50 feet) up can kick up a lot higher than when you are ground level.. This particular flight.. It was almost dead calm on the ground.. Up in the air though was a completely different story..
Capture.JPG
2017-4-5
Use props
elegantcheese
lvl.1

United States

Jacques850 Posted at 2016-3-1 12:32
Would you please explain us the real, legal or marketing reason  to create that new and unpleasant restriction for what appeared as a so handsome new product ?

I can't be exactly sure but I think that current FAA regulations restrict drone flight altitude to 400 feet. I don't know why DJI doesn't just say this.
2017-4-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

elegantcheese Posted at 2017-4-9 17:22
I can't be exactly sure but I think that current FAA regulations restrict drone flight altitude to 400 feet. I don't know why DJI doesn't just say this.

The post you are replying to was over a year ago and from someone that  had a very mistaken idea of the facts.
That has been clarified many times in this post which was a complete waste of time as the assumptions upon which it was based simply weren't true.
2017-4-9
Use props
elegantcheese
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-4-9 17:30
The post you are replying to was over a year ago and from someone that  had a very mistyaken idea of the facts.
That has been clarified many times in this post which was a complete waste of time as the assumptions upon which it was based simply weren't true.

i'm terribly sorry about that. i'll need to figure out how to better navigate this place before I try to be of assistance next time. thank you for pointing out my ignorance.
2017-4-9
Use props
buginout1
New
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-4-5 13:38
Then you didn't click the Go button after you put the number in.

Got it , thank you
2017-4-15
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

fansb0844b03 Posted at 2017-4-5 14:53
A new mode is coming out as a firmware upgrade, it is called "BadBoy" Mode it will allow you to fly to 5000meters and will give a "Turbo" Boost to attain a speed of 150kmh for a short time!!   Now that would be good wouldn't it??  Pity I was dreaming

You don't have the new DJI Afterburner kits fitted?  It's a single solid fueled rocket that attaches to the legs of your drone. I've been trying to get pics of mine as I do fly pasts.
DRONE TRAILS.jpg
2017-4-15
Use props
fans5f9bf51f
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-1 11:50
The max altitude is limited to 500m from take off point.I'm sorry for the prior error given.

Well Ken . . . .

Just got back from my once in a lifetime trip to Scotland from the U.S.A.

All those beautiful mountain shots "LOST" due to altitude restrictions by your software.

I did all the right things that all drone pilots should do. Registered my Drone with FAA for $5, placed a sticker with my FAA assigned tail number on the drone.

Installed the "B4U FLY" app on my Samsung Phone that I use when flying.

Updated all my software before leaving on vacation to make sure I was good to go.

Evidently, you guys at DJI are unaware that there are a few places for those who do the right thing to fly over rural mountains for some great scenic shots. Places where commercial aircraft planes do not fly.

Every mountain I wanted to fly aerial shots for was over your altitude restricting software. So guess what? No mountain shots for me cresting summits to see what was on the other side. "Fantastic".

Will not buy another DJI drone product after this one wears out or becomes obsolete.

You guys have got to get it together on this issue.

I get it that the "Altitude" moves up the mountain side so as to allow the max limit to travel with you from that point on. But that requires my 60 year old butt to do some serious hiking in very rough terrain, not going to happen.

I know you can do it DJI, your features are already incredible or I would not have bought your product to begin with.

"PLEASE find a way to determine the slope on terrain present below the drone at all times."

By the way not a beginner anymore. Hundreds of videos under my belt before I ever took the drone off Beginner mode and and set it not to return to mainland China.
Did my homework as every one should otherwise risk losing a very expensive piece of gear. I'm in it for over $3K now with extra batteries and accessories.
2017-5-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans5f9bf51f Posted at 2017-5-28 08:17
Well Ken . . . .

"All those beautiful mountain shots "LOST" due to altitude restrictions by your software."

What altitude restriction did you encounter?
2017-5-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Well Ken . . . .

'I did all the right things that all drone pilots should do. Registered my Drone with FAA for $5, placed a sticker with my FAA assigned tail number on the drone.'

This is a puzzling post. Firstly because the CAA, the actual regulatory authority in the UK would not care one jot about you having your aircraft registered with the FAA, because the FAA has no jurisdiction in the UK.

You could have flown up to 1642 feet above where you took off from, and given the highest bit of mountain is Ben Nevis at 4,409 feet, there are plenty of other mountains lower down to look at.

Then there is the issue that the CAA have their own regulations about the maximum altitude you can fly in the UK, and it is a lot less than the 1642 feet your aircraft is limited to. Further, many places in Scotland are designated low flying areas for training by the Royal Air Force, did you check out if you were in one of those? All in all you demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge of local laws.
2017-5-28
Use props
Jeffyk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4252 ft
  • >>>
United States

The FAA states "The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. "
2017-5-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Jeffyk Posted at 2017-5-28 14:57
The FAA states "The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. "

That has no bearing on the current discussion, as he is not talking about flying in the US. The FAA does not makes rules for the UK.
2017-5-28
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well Ken . . . .

On the plus side the rules and regulations can easily be viewed on the CAA website Here

The dronesafe App' also gives indication of the military low fly areas up North. But the nice people at the M.O.D (Ministry Of Defence) also publish timetables of when to expect low fly exercises Here

So that you can avoid bumping into one of these:-
20160310_134023[1] - Copy.jpg
2017-5-28
Use props
fansb0844b03
New
Australia

Jacques850 Posted at 2016-3-1 11:37
I do fully agree.
So what is the real altitude limit ?
No more possible flights above 120 meters or 400 feet ?

Probably has something to do with Litigation I would suspect! I am a bit disappointed about that too!
We all know that speeding is against the law but everybody does it!!!
I think it would be good to have a way of overriding it just for special purposes like being in a deep valley etc!
2017-5-28
Use props
fansb0844b03
New
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-1 11:50
The max altitude is limited to 500m from take off point.I'm sorry for the prior error given.

Hello and thanks for making a great product!  a zero is nothing right? so could you please just put a zero at the end of the 500 in the max altitude and everyone will be happy or if you can't just split the difference! What do you say?
2017-5-28
Use props
Jeffyk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4252 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-28 15:17
That has no bearing on the current discussion, as he is not talking about flying in the US. The FAA does not makes rules for the UK.

Ahh, sorry I missed that part.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans5f9bf51f
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-28 14:24
"All those beautiful mountain shots "LOST" due to altitude restrictions by your software."

What altitude restriction did you encounter?

Could not go over the 500 meters from the bottom of a mountain. There needs to be a way for the drone to know it's not above the max altitude limit the software sets. This way you could still be legal while flying up a slope to check out the peak no higher than the peaks summit plus the max limit.
2017-5-29
Use props
fans5f9bf51f
lvl.1

United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-5-29 01:13
Next time, try using one of the ski lifts to take your 60 year old unfit American butt to the top and then fly from there, but please forget about your FAA regulations and follow our UK Drone Code when doing so.
If you can't afford to have streets wider than 4 feet on the left side of the road then you certainly don't have "Ski Lifts" on every mountain.

I maintained Glideslopes, Localizers, Tacan and VOR as well as the Middle Marker Beacons for the U.S.A.F. otherwise know as Navaids.

I always abide by the rules so iplying that some how my post said I broke them perhaps begs a re-read on your part.

I don't want to digress to petty arguments here . . . DJI can and is well capable of creating with all the sensors a way to detect real time altitude at the drone's location at all times. It's a feature that would allow better use of their product and not break any restrictions.

If a jet jock is flying 500 meters above any local peak over my time share I stayed in he is not where he should be.
2017-5-29
Use props
fans5f9bf51f
lvl.1

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-5-28 16:09
On the plus side the rules and regulations can easily be viewed on the CAA website Here

The dronesafe App' also gives indication of the military low fly areas up North. But the nice people at the M.O.D (Ministry Of Defence) also publish timetables of when to expect low fly exercises Here

Whose is bigger? cmon fella cut me some slack. I just want to fly my drone OKAY?

I'm not going to argue about who is in charge and where I live or you live. Better yet, I can always spend my "Tourist" Dollars elseswhere.
2017-5-29
Use props
fans5f9bf51f
lvl.1

United States

Warnberg Posted at 2017-1-24 16:21
Wanna know why there is an altitude limit of any kind?  

1)

You are absolutely correct! No wonder it's called Turkey!
2017-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules