DO NOT use the Inspire 1 case that comes with the drone
4673 20 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mazurlazer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2303 ft
United States

I just returned from Guatemala on a week long shoot with my new Inspire 1 Pro. The drone and the X5 worked beautifully. The case that the system came in is another story altogether. For the record, I do not expect the included case to be of a Pelican quality. I DO expect the case that this very expensive product comes in to open and close when needed. From about day 2 the zipper started to break and by day 4 the entire case could no longer close. 1 zipper fell off completely. Again, this case was being opened and closed 4 or 5 times a day whenever we arrived at a location to shoot. I do not think that it is too much to ask for this amount of wear and tear to be tolerable for the included case...

By the time I was ready to return the case was being held together by 1 single zipper in the middle of the front part of the case. Neither side of the zipper thread actually closed any more. After wondering how in the hell I was going to get my drone back to the US, I eventually just bought a bunch of bubble wrap from a local store and then had some guys in the airport wrap it in that strong blue plastic. After the flight I found my drone unbroken but significantly scuffed from the flight.

This is just one more strike for a company who BS'd us into buying an OSMO and the X5 because "they could be used together soon". Being the genius that I am I decided to reward these people by buying an Inspire 1 to make the X5 actually have value. Oh, and lets not forget that nobody should ever trust their Inspire 1 remote to actually hold an ipad. I made the mistake of not holding the remote and tablet perfectly upright which gave me a lovely crack in the new iPad air I also purchased to use with the Inspire 1. I honestly dont know what to say about DJI at this point. The Inspire 1 with the X5 is awesome. It works great and it produced some truly beautiful images for me on my last shoot. But DJI as a company is just awful. They seem to take their customer base for granted by offering vague answers to products they launched to be used "together" and they offer to protect your expensive investment with a laughable case that shouldn't even be given away for free. I wont even get started on their "customer service". A simple google search will give you a few hours of reading on that matter...

Their main products are undeniably terrific but eveything that comes with them is terrible. The moment a better brand pops up to compete, I'm gone.

Sorry for whining. Have a good day everyone.

2016-3-1
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had mine for about 7 months and yeah the case was bad, the zipper also broke which I fixed (no biggie) but the worst part is that instead of some foam DJi used cheap styrofoam which easily chipped off piece by piece when putting the drone in eventually making it wiggle around.
2016-3-1
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Nothing of which hasn't been discussed repeatedly on this and many other forums for over a year.
It is what it is, and if DJI had the slightest interest then they would have changed/fixed it months ago.

This is not going to change.
2016-3-1
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

I've had my original case for 14 months now and have traveled the globe with it. The feet are gone (replaced with soft felt pads) and the case is scratched but it works for me and I can carry it on some cabins. So I think some balance is needed here.
2016-3-1
Use props
Romi
lvl.2

United States

So far I've only used my stock case to go from home to the field. Does anyone know of a good quality backpack or backpack conversion kit for the Inspire? I'd like to go on hikes with the gear and carrying it with a handle isn't an option.
2016-3-1
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry you had a bad experience with the case. I do agree its not the BEST case, but I have not had any problems with mine. I am always delicate. with it.

But like others have stated, this is not a new problem, nor will it go away. The case is pretty much just a "free gift"
2016-3-1
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I never had a problem with my case that came standard with my inspire 1 (now sold). I would recommend purchasing a higher end case. But to be honest and in my opinion for the price DJI should include a high end case to justify the pricing. After all, it is an expensive machine. I loved the inspire 1 and plan to upgrade in the year to come once the kinks are worked out. But what an amazing bird to fly! Truly a pleasure to fly.
2016-3-1
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

I can see a point where DJI will send these birds out in cardboard boxes to save themselves the hassle..........it has been said about a zillion times, its a gift.......you did not pay extra for it, so enjoy it while its useful and then buy a pelican case.
2016-3-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

My case is still like new!

Dave
2016-3-1
Use props
gboivin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1544416 ft
  • >>>

both my Inspire1 and Pro cases are still working well. When the zipper starts to stick I apply candle wax to the zipper and it slides like warm butter on bread. DJI could have just packaged the Inspire in a box. The case is a nice touch and works well if your careful with it. Thanks DJI!
2016-3-2
Use props
Peter Silver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I have to say the case with my Inspire is ok. Scratched a bit but still works. I have just bought a Yuneec H920 and that come is a proper flight case!
2016-3-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-3-2 02:40
My case is still like new!

If I were DJI I would start sending the inspire's out in a box with styrofoam. When I received my inspire I thought it was nice they shipped in a case but I knew it was cheap and it was mainly to protect it will it was being shipped half way around the planet.
2016-3-2
Use props
mazurlazer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2303 ft
United States

I have already purchased this monster to house my investment - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... ed_hard_case_w.html

Again, I fully acknowledged that the included case was not going to be of this quality. But should it have fallen to pieces in 1 week?  No, of course not. Give me a break.
2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

mazurlazer Posted at 2016-3-2 05:17
I have already purchased this monster to house my investment - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product ...

You are correct it should not have come apart like that on you.
Sorry this happened!

Dave
2016-3-2
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

A couple of things you can do to help the zipper last are,  1. Run a candle along both sides of thr zipper. (Others have suggested this already) for lubrication.  2. The zippers bind when you move them around the corners.  I believe that the zippers fail by forcing them around those corners.  I've found that when you lift up on the lid when going around the corners, it goes  through smoothly and is less prone to breaking.
2016-3-2
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

My case has only had very light use. I just put it in the back of my SUV and open it there when on a shoot.  That being said one of the zipper pulls fell apart and it can't be used from that side. If the other one comes off, the case will be useless. Yes it seems that most just accept that this is a cheap case that has no warranty of any sort. However when I bought my Inspire kit I was under the impression that it was supplied with a case comparable to the quality of the copter that came inside of it.  And since it is priced at $199 that is precisely what DJI communicated to me and other users.

This is the description of the case on DJI's on-line store:

"Designed for the Inspire 1 Series (Inspire 1/Inspire 1 V2.0/Inspire 1 Pro), the outside shell of this carrying case is made with ABS, a material that’s both strong and light.
On the inside, the highly resilient EPP material is used to help absorb pressure and vibrations.
Besides protecting your Inspire 1 Series and all its accessories from collisions, the case is also moderately water-resistant. "

There is no mention that the case is temporary, or not suitable to the use they state. Nor is there a mention that there is no warranty if any aspect of it fails.  By contrast I've had zippers fail on Tamrac camera bags and they fixed them for free... no questions asked.

With all of the complaints about the zipper it makes me wonder why DJI has not at least changed its zipper supplier to minimize problems for new buyers. Yes I think DJI should fix/replace my case (with one with a better zipper) or compensate me. I'm sure the company is profitable enough to take this tiny hit in order to keep customers happy.  

Now that DJI is facing serious competition from Yuneec/Intel it has more reason than ever to try to maintain the loyalty of its customers.
2016-3-2
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

My OEM Inspire case is in perfect condition..........

Because of this landing mode case

Love the wheels, and pull out handle.
2016-3-2
Use props
yablonsky
lvl.1

United States

I've had my case since the beginning and zippers both still work perfectly.  I would say I've cycled the zippers several hundred times at least over the last year
2016-3-3
Use props
daniel.frederik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10656 ft
New Zealand

lubricate the zip with silicon spray and open the case gently;
2016-3-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

daniel.frederik Posted at 2016-3-8 15:56
lubricate the zip with silicon spray and open the case gently;

Also candle wax works well
2016-3-8
Use props
Segami21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57749 ft
United States

Well yes the case is garbage. But I was able to pull out the grey insert and lift the black fabric that is glued down. This covers the tail end of the zipper on the back of the case. Here you can fiddle with the zipper and get it back together. Then use silacone spray so the zipper glides lay the black flap back down. “It has a heavy stick glue that will re-attach easily. As far as the customer service well I actually had a much better experience. But I had to have the screen on my Crystal Sky Ultra Bright screen replaced in less than a year because it burnt out and it had only been used a few times. No I do not live in Texas or a supper hot area like that. So I was a bit disgusted by that. On another note I have also got video equipment by another Company from China called Zhiyun. And they are absolutely horrible. They make everything into difficult chore. Perhaps this is common  place for companies in China.
2020-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules