Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Wind surfer reflective material
714 9 2016-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Goldchucker
First Officer
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

I have access to both aluminum and copper to use as the relflective material to build a wind surfer style signal booster.  Does one have better reflective qualities over the other?  

Thank  you,
Chuck
2016-3-1
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

For your purposes there is really not enough difference to matter,  as far as the performance of the reflector.  You want it smooth as possible.  So,  whichever one is easiest to work with.  Aluminum is lighter.  Copper easier to shape.  Your choice really.
2016-3-1
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-3-1 22:25
For your purposes there is really not enough difference to matter,  as far as the performance of the ...

When I bought mine off eBay I decided copper just because its a more expensive material for the same price and should be just as good. I also like the look of copper.
2016-3-1
Use props
Goldchucker
First Officer
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

Thank you all for the prompt replies.
2016-3-1
Use props
johnsr
Captain
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

I made mine out of thin aluminum sheet and screwed it (small nylon screws with nuts) on to hard foam forms. The antennas slide through the slots in the foam. This solution is sturdy, lightweight and works well.

John's windsurfer

John's windsurfer
2016-3-2
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Depends how well polished they are. Also uniformity is important. The curve has to be jut right for optimal reflection of signal.
2016-3-2
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

johnsr Posted at 2016-3-2 10:10
I made mine out of thin aluminum sheet and screwed it (small nylon screws with nuts) on to hard foam ...

Just remember these are for distance flying, they do not work well for close up flight.  I keep mine in my pocket, when I reach about 400 feet horizontal distance I slide it on, then do the reverse procedure on the way back.  I personally have gained about 2,500 more feet of clear video and RC  .  I just post this because some people complain about loosing signal when directly overhead or in close.  They have an intended design.

Do a Test with yours  and compare distance on and off.

Good , Job........ I love these kind of customer modifications- donnie

2016-3-2
Use props
johnsr
Captain
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-2 17:36
Just remember these are for distance flying, they do not work well for close up flight.  I ke ...

Good comment. I also use mine when flying through wooded areas; get better transmission/reception through the trees. Since it quickly slips on/off its in my pack when working close in or overhead.
Good flying!
2016-3-2
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.4

United States

Bhujang Posted at 2016-3-3 00:33
Depends how well polished they are. Also uniformity is important. The curve has to be jut right for  ...

"Depends on how polished they are."

I made some and the aluminum foil did not end up very smooth or polished, I did get an extra 1000 feet but maybe it was a fluke. I guess that I'll have to invest 20 bucks on those copper ones I've seen on Amazon, they look pretty polished.
2016-4-12
Use props
microcyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Copper!!!!The key is the reflection and the obsense of any wrinkles.

Or use some of this:

http://www.amazon.com/12x60Chrome-Mirror-Silver-Sticker-Self-adhesive/dp/B00LY81CAY

http://www.amazon.com/Copper-Foi ... itars/dp/B00FV1MS0S
2016-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules