1537 11 2016-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

So, I bought this monstrous power supply. It's so heavy that - if it happen to be a mistake - it will work as a anchor for my boat . The idea is to be able to charge 4 Inspire or 4 Phantom batteries using DJI charging hubs, since I fly both birds. This should be possible because the power supply sports adjustable voltage output. Of course 1200 W/50A of available power on main terminals is way, way too much for DJI batteries to handle during charging. Thankfully the unit is equipped with 10A max outputs as well. This seems still just a hair too much, so - I believe - I have to find the way to dampen delivered amperage a bit to comply with batteries brains. I'm thinking about plugging the renowned Watt's Up meter in-line on output to make absolutely sure that the supplied voltage and current is within requirements.
Any suggestions before I wire everything and push the power switch will be greatly appreciated.

eFuel Power Supply.jpg
2016-3-2
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

make sure you have a fire extinguisher near by lol..........
2016-3-2
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Harb Posted at 2016-3-2 18:37
make sure you have a fire extinguisher near by lol..........

Good one, Harb! Seriously, if not that "variable voltage" output I'll never consider such overkill ...
2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

nice one! I have one with 2 outputs of 16A. And I can charge my usual 1500mah  lipos with 5C charge rate in less then 8 minutes. I didn't use it for DJI batteries. For me 2 regular chargers of 100w is more then enough.
2016-3-2
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-2 19:52
nice one! I have one with 2 outputs of 16A. And I can charge my usual 1500mah  lipos with 5C charge  ...

Thank you, Tim. Again, if not the need for fast charging different (and many) batteries in field - including the iPad - utilizing my 1kW solar power plant, I'll not bother with such elaborate and expensive solution...
2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

dobmatt Posted at 2016-3-3 11:15
Thank you, Tim. Again, if not the need for fast charging different (and many) batteries in field - ...

solar plant... that probably gonna take a while to charge the battery
2016-3-2
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

dobmatt Posted at 2016-3-3 13:07
Good one, Harb! Seriously, if not that "variable voltage" output I'll never consider such overkill ...

I am using stock power supplies at the moment and they keep up with me pretty well, but I must knock up a portable multiple battery charger one day to charge out in the field....... good luck with it
2016-3-2
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can regulate the current using something like an LM 138/338 voltage/current regulator set to regulate the current to around 5 amps for each battery under charge.

(These are cheap components, resemble large transistors). http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm138.pdf

Page 14 shows a simple setup for a 5 amp regulator. (5 amps is what the Inspire smart battery is happy with.) The schematic lists 2w set resistors, but you will need something closer to 25 watts and you're good to go.

For example: I'm using a 20 amp power supply with 4 charge outputs regulated to 5 amps each (total of 20 amps) allowing 4 batteries to charge simultaneously.
2016-3-2
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

doctrrf Posted at 2016-3-2 23:21
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can regulate the current using something like an LM 138/ ...

Thank you for the tip. The DJI Charging Hub for Inspire is rated at 26.3V/6.8A, but how much the battery will accept without protesting? Somebody mentioned 10A threshold before safety shut-off ...
2016-3-3
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-2 21:18
solar plant... that probably gonna take a while to charge the battery

Tim, can you find out how much of charging amperage the Inspire battery will accept without protesting? Somebody on this forum mentioned below 10A before "smart" safety shut-off, but I'm not sure...
2016-3-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

dobmatt Posted at 2016-3-3 16:42
Tim, can you find out how much of charging amperage the Inspire battery will accept without protes ...

We don't have this specs given but as i know the safe charge rate is about 1C which would mean 4.5A for TB47 and 5.7A for TB48. However it's just my theory, I always charge DJI batteries with original charger
2016-3-3
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Why didn't You get the big One ?

-couldn't resist, good luck with that -donnie
2016-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now