Hong Kong

2016-3-5
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent advice there Tim!  You should get that video linked on the page of main tutorial videos...  (way more helpful than a toothy grinning video on how to unpack your phantom from the box   )

Ian
2016-3-6
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

seems to be a bit of lip sync error there.....lol
2016-3-6
Use props
MichaelRoth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 288297 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

i have set my mode to M (manual) in about 5m attitude and didn't realize that, it was not funny.. crashed s900 + gh4, high costs .... now i got the Inspire Pro and will never touch M-Mode again
2016-3-6
Use props
MacDyver
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136211 ft
United States

And sometimes Virginia they just fall from the sky!
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=MjczOA
2016-3-6
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Russia

Thanks for advices! I've already read this information, but video is super!
2016-3-8
Use props
iherzog97
lvl.2

Brazil

Great video.

But reason #1 for incidents should be reviewed by DJI. Pilots may put sticks in CSC position by accident just because they're flying.
It's an absurd that a fly command may shut-off engines.
If there must be an emergency procedure to shut engines off, put an extra button in the remote exclusively for this. And with a red cover over it.
CSC incident are not a pilot error. It’s a DJI engineering error and has to be fixed.
2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Nicola90s Posted at 2016-3-8 19:22
Thanks for advices! I've already read this information, but video is super!

Spasibo
2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

iherzog97 Posted at 2016-3-8 20:23
Great video.

But reason #1 for incidents should be reviewed by DJI. Pilots may put sticks in CSC po ...

People get used to CSC and they threat it normal, in the flight you will never need a command like pulling the sticks down to the corners and holding them there for 3 seconds
2016-3-8
Use props
iherzog97
lvl.2

Brazil

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-8 09:29
People get used to CSC and they threat it normal, in the flight you will never need a command like ...

Tim, my understand is that CSC acts immediately. It does not take 3 seconds. Correct me if I'm wrong.
2016-3-8
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good common sense stuff Tim.
2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

iherzog97 Posted at 2016-3-8 21:01
Tim, my understand is that CSC acts immediately. It does not take 3 seconds. Correct me if I'm wro ...

Maybe it's a little less then 3 seconds, but still CSC is a reasonable way to start and stop the motors. You just have to pay i little bit attention to it
2016-3-8
Use props
iherzog97
lvl.2

Brazil

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-8 10:10
Maybe it's a little less then 3 seconds, but still CSC is a reasonable way to start and stop the m ...

Tim,
With all due respect, I have common sense. I fly aircrafts for over 25 years and never had an accident. Facts go beyond opinions. The fact is CSC is identified by DJI as the major cause for pilot errors. So, using common sense, are all those pilots wrong or is the CSC for turning the engines off wrong? What causes the issue is that putting the left stick full down for some seconds is how the DJI drones’ engines are turn off in more than 99% of the time.
2016-3-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-9 00:10
Maybe it's a little less then 3 seconds, but still CSC is a reasonable way to start and stop the m ...

"Maybe it's a little less then 3 seconds"

It's a lot less than 3 seconds.   CSC is instant.

I'm not suggesting it should be changed but the DJI people on this forum should at least know how it works.

And you really should rearrange this top 10 list.
Accidental CSC is not the number one cause of lost Phantoms.
Accidental CSC is extremely rare and very few reports ever show up in the forums although  it gets talked about quite a lot.
This top 10 listing creates unnecessary panic in new flyers who believe that hundreds of Phantoms are being lost because of it when this just isn't happening.
2016-3-8
Use props
iherzog97
lvl.2

Brazil

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-8 10:10

The time is ZERO seconds.
2016-3-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

iherzog97 Posted at 2016-3-9 00:22
Tim,
With all due respect, I have common sense. I fly aircrafts for over 25 years and never had an ...

"What causes the issue is that putting the left stick full down for some seconds is how the DJI drones’ engines are turn off in more than 99% of the time. "

If you're suggesting that left stick down is killing Phantoms, you are very wrong.
Left stick will only kill the motors after the Phantom has landed.
In the air it doesn't kill the motors ... it's the safe and normal method of descending.
2016-3-8
Use props
ChrimyF
lvl.1

United States

Good Video, thank you Tim for share with us.
2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ChrimyF Posted at 2016-3-8 23:19
Good Video, thank you Tim for share with us.

Excellent video presentation Tim
I have it bookmarked to give to others.
2016-3-8
Use props
iherzog97
lvl.2

Brazil

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-8 10:29
"What causes the issue is that putting the left stick full down for some seconds is how the DJI dr ...

NO, I did not. Please read the full post
2016-3-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tim,

Thank you for the instructional video and very nicely done!!!

These are absolutely great tips with very clear instructions

This will be very helpful to every level of pilot experience.

(not to be critical of you) Should the remote antennas be shown parallel ? Maybe putting the antennas at outward angles lets you to show your drawing more clearly...  DJI instructions tell you to put the antennas parallel to one another....

Rich
2016-3-8
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-8 08:23

It's enough of a PERCEIVED issue (emphasize added because I have no idea how real it is) that someone has productized an add-on product to prevent it.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/CSCSafety/

Out of curiosity how do you know it's extremely rare, other than anecdotally from the number of times you have read about it on the forum?
2016-3-8
Use props
JimStrickland
lvl.1

United States

Ya know... DJI has the power to eliminate that number 1 cause, CSC.
Just sayin.
2016-3-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JimStrickland Posted at 2016-3-9 11:41
Ya know... DJI has the power to eliminate that number 1 cause, CSC.
Just sayin.

DJI has the power to stop making people think it's the number one cause.
Accidental CSC is very, very rare.
It just isn't happening at all.
It's NOT the number one cause.
2016-3-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

citivas Posted at 2016-3-9 07:20
It's enough of a PERCEIVED issue (emphasize added because I have no idea how real it is) that some ...
"Out of curiosity how do you know it's extremely rare, other than  anecdotally from the number of times you have read about it on the  forum?"

Answered in the other post where you asked the same question
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 37305&fromuid=10818
2016-3-8
Use props
JimStrickland
lvl.1

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-8 18:14
DJI has the power to stop making people think it's the number one cause.
Accidental CSC is very, v ...

If it isn't the number one cause, you have a great point.  At any rate, it is high on the list of contentious issues, and as it affects newbies disproportionately I think there is also a marketing opportunity there.  Whether for DJI or some other company is the issue.
Does anyone have any information on the ratio of times it causes a crash for a newbie compared to the number of times it actually was used to prevent a catastrophe?  I think that is the real question.
2016-3-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JimStrickland Posted at 2016-3-9 12:19
If it isn't the number one cause, you have a great point.  At any rate, it is high on the list of  ...

New flyers crash more often than experienced but hardly anyone crashes because of accidental CSC.
I don't think I've seen one reported in the last 3 months.
CSC isn't to prevent a catastrophe in flight either.
It's just the emergency stop button for a device with rotating blades.
The much talked-about scenario of using CSC to avoid crashing into a helicopter or a child or a basket full of kittens is fanciful.
If you have enough control to use CSC you'd have enough control to divert your Phantom away.
If you don't, then CSC won't work anyway.

But myths are a lot more exciting to talk about rather than what really happens.
Just like the whole CSC-is-a-problem myth.

2016-3-8
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-8 20:17
"Out of curiosity how do you know it's extremely rare, other than  anecdotally from the number of ti ...

Your answer boiled down to a ton of anecdotal observation from what people post online helping you to form an educated guess.

To be clear, I am in no way disputing that you may be right.  I understand your reasoning and respect your experience.

But we know that DJI has the real data.  And DJI is the one who keeps saying CSC is one of the top reasons for accidents.  So far they have yet to chime in and specifically contradict that or clarify why its on their list or why its a misunderstanding despite a ton of DJI-affiliated people who read all these posts and comment frequently.  Why do you think that is?  How are they served by perpetuating the mis-perception?  It may very well be a misunderstanding -- for example the list may not be in order of importance and include a couple extremely rare events, but all they need to do is say so.  As it stands, they went to the trouble to include it on a very carefully and well made video which seems odd if it almost never happens.  The name of the topic and the video is "10 COMMON Pilot Errors."  Common has a specific meaning which is fundamentally incompatible with "extremely rare" and "almost never happens."
2016-3-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

citivas Posted at 2016-3-9 12:47
Your answer boiled down to a ton of anecdotal observation from what people post online helping you ...

"despite a ton of DJI-affiliated people who read all these posts and comment frequently.  Why do you think that is?"
Hang around and you'll observe that effective communications is not DJI's strongest suit.
Some may be explained by language difficulties and cultural or company policies or perhaps just bungling and some DJI people not knowing themselves.
Unfortunately this forum isn't always a good place to get the facts.

2016-3-8
Use props
jordiregy
New

Spain

Hi. I am also starting with phantom and one thing I should recommend is not using csc when landed for stopping motors. It will most probably turn down. Always use the single left stick when landed!!!!
Regards

2016-3-9
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

For those who believe that there really is almost no instances of accidental CSC use despite what DJI says, here's one conspiracy theory explanation -- the DJI data is inflated for CSC "accidents" because it is their go-to explanation if phantom's fall from the sky.  I have seen at least 2 other topics in the last week where people were accused of accidental CSC as pilot error for their crashes.  In at least one case it was later confirmed to be a faulty battery power cycling mid-flight but DJI's official response was to call it pilot error with CSC being the logical explanation.
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

citivas Posted at 2016-3-10 00:02
For those who believe that there really is almost no instances of accidental CSC use despite what DJ ...

If a crashed unit is sent in for analysis, or the customer sends the DAT file, the analysis tells you 100% if there was a CSC executed of not.
2016-3-9
Use props
bushbob69.yahoo
New

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-8 04:23

I think #1 is inexperience, #2 If they fly RC Planes, pulling down makes the RC climb as for the Phantom it shuts the engines off.
2016-3-9
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-9 12:19
If a crashed unit is sent in for analysis, or the customer sends the DAT file, the analysis tells  ...

So, therefore, when you put it in the top 10 reasons for accidents, that is based on the raw data and therefore it is a "common" issue?
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

citivas Posted at 2016-3-10 02:17
So, therefore, when you put it in the top 10 reasons for accidents, that is based on the raw data  ...

I do not know what they used for the statistics.
2016-3-9
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

United States

Really good stuff. The more materials we have on here to soak up the better!
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Great video Tim!

Dave
2016-3-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

bushbob69.yahoo Posted at 2016-3-10 05:08
I think #1 is inexperience, #2 If they fly RC Planes, pulling down makes the RC climb as for the P ...

Except pulling the left stick down doesn't kill the motors in flight.
All our Phantoms would still be up there if we couldn't pull our left stick down.

2016-3-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

citivas Posted at 2016-3-10 05:17
So, therefore, when you put it in the top 10 reasons for accidents, that is based on the raw data  ...

Except is isn't common at all.
Even including it in the top 10 is probably a mistake.
Making people believe it's the number 1 is a screaming mistake.

2016-3-9
Use props
Behshad
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

2:18    love how fixes his glasses!
2016-3-10
Use props
mal6514
lvl.2

United States

citivas Posted at 2016-3-9 10:02
For those who believe that there really is almost no instances of accidental CSC use despite what DJ ...

Just had an invoice of 721$ after fall from sky issue . Chalked it up as csc by Dji. Emailed me two page description and definitions and diagrams of csc. Itemized list of what needs to be repaired and the cost of each item on the invoice . This was my second fall from sky issue . The first was repaired under warranty yet no itemized list of what was fixed and or why the bird fell from sky . Second fall from sky was csc user error and not repaired under warranty
2016-3-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules