Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
drone up at 11000ft. WTH
12Next >
4228 47 2016-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lb11778
lvl.2
Flight distance : 368842 ft
United States

This guy in the Netherlands Phantom 2 brought to a height of up to 3.4 km.You will have to translate the page to english, This is just nuts.
What do you guys think?

http://www.dronewatch.nl/2016/03/03/idioot-brengt-hobbydrone-tot-hoogte-van-34-km/

2016-3-6
Use props
Kengineer
lvl.2

dan kan deze hoogstwaarschijnlijk rekenen op een boete van enkele duizenden

I don't know what that means, I copied it from the article. Very high.
2016-3-6
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Bullshit without actual flight data etc. no way to prove it...

2016-3-6
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

I've been looking at 5,000 ft videos enlighten of the recent issue with a near miss with a drone and jetliner. This video doesn't look any different than those 5k video shots. Most of those video ended with the drone battery life empty and crashing, thats at 5,000ft. I could be wrong but who knows.
2016-3-6
Use props
djiphantom3xx
lvl.2

Canada

wow, kind of crazy! well - when you are flying through clouds... that is starting to get high up!
2016-3-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

"Idioot brengt hobbydrone tot hoogte van 3,4 km"

I don't think there is much doubt what that headline was saying.
2016-3-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Is there any evidence that he went to 3.4km?
I didn't see anything when I skimmed the video.

The problem with taking a P2 to 3.4km is that it would take 11.3 minutes to get up there ...
... and 28.3 minutes to come back to earth making a total of 39.6 minutes.
3.4 Km up and return isn't possible with a stock P2
Carrying extra batteries to give 40 minutes flight time is probably going to be too heavy to get up there.
So .. did he really go to 3.4km and if so ... how?
2016-3-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-7 14:32
Is there any evidence that he went to 3.4km?
I didn't see anything when I skimmed the video.

You are right, the evidence does not stack up.
2016-3-6
Use props
djiphantom3xx
lvl.2

Canada

@labroides - one thign some people do when they go high up - is turn the motors off to let it "fall" to the ground from a high distance - then as it is approaching say 200m from the ground - turn the motors back on for a 'soft' landing. Not smart - but it is what some people do.
2016-3-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiphantom3xx Posted at 2016-3-7 16:07
@labroides - one thign some people do when they go high up - is turn the motors off to let it "fall" ...

Not a smart thing to do, but as long as you can still see what is going on it might work. However he was using a P2, and I wonder if the P2 does not have a limit on the descent speed like the P3 has, so you could come down rather quickly if you are prepared to risk VRS. If you watch the clip, he does descend quite quickly.

2016-3-6
Use props
rene.vandermeer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236781 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kengineer Posted at 2016-3-7 03:07
dan kan deze hoogstwaarschijnlijk rekenen op een boete van enkele duizenden

I don't know what that  ...

I means that he should probably expect a fine of several thousand euro

See also this thread:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... -11-000-feet.70126/
2016-3-7
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

I dont understand why flying over 400 feet. Phantom are made for video and photos. Nothing is interesting to video or photo over 400 feet. The best videos and pictures we see on the web from the pro are rarely done more than 100 feet. Flying over 400 feet is extremely dangerous for air plane accidents. How would you feel if because of your drone flying too high and too far away from your ling of sight kill 300 passengers?
2016-3-7
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Strange, but the maximum ascent speed of the P2 is 6m/sec.  In 3:30 minutes it would reach 1260m  (4134 ft.)  In order to reach 3.4km it would need to be ascending at 16m/sec.  Looking at the cars, it doesn't look like the video's speeded up either & there are no breaks in the video.

I call BS on this one.
2016-3-7
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiphantom3xx Posted at 2016-3-7 03:03
wow, kind of crazy! well - when you are flying through clouds... that is starting to get high up!

I had to stop walking yesterday because I was in a cloud.  It's not necessarily very high.
2016-3-7
Use props
lb11778
lvl.2
Flight distance : 368842 ft
United States

good observations guys.

2016-3-7
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

I think he actually did make it that high.

Look closely at the edges of the video,  more and more territory/sea becomes visible as time goes by.

He makes it a little difficult by constantly changing the field of view, but I think he actually did get that high.

On the descent, he obviously speeded up the video, as there are some cars moving ridiculously fast.

sid
2016-3-7
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

I always wonder why every time some ying-yang does something like this it's a "new world record?"
2016-3-8
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-7 13:37
Not a smart thing to do, but as long as you can still see what is going on it might work. However h ...

The P2 has a descend rate of 2 m/s. If you want it to descend faster with some control, switch to manual or maybe ATTI mode. I  don't know what the difference is but I can certainly land my P2 in ATTI mode faster than my P3 Pro. And I never crashed landed my P2 as a result of landing too fast. Talking about my P2 with GoPro, not sure about my P2V+.
2016-3-8
Use props
duritsch22
lvl.2

United States

Looks like 11,000 to me. I'm a licensed skydiver and we generally exit at around 13,500.  My drop zone is right next to the city of Middletown,Ohio so we do free fall over an area similar to the OPs video . Looks about right to me as far as what I see at 11,000.
2016-3-19
Use props
duritsch22
lvl.2

United States

Sure Bryan, anything you say,  COPY
2016-3-19
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.3
Switzerland

It could go down with idle engines and than slow down. I did not try it with Phantom, but with my training quadcopter I practice fast emergency descent and landing.
2016-3-19
Use props
P3A_Pilot
lvl.2

Netherlands

I know that location: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8267425,4.1210645,13464a,20y,200h/data=!3m1!1e3
2016-3-19
Use props
mjlstudios
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-19 12:31
Yes... Whatever I say, because I'm correct.   Here is an example of the exact same shot, taken with ...

Its not the camera angle, its the type of lens used. A wide angle lens will make images smaller and further away.
2016-3-19
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-3-19 17:55
Its not the camera angle, its the type of lens used. A wide angle lens will make images smaller an ...

He means the camera's angle of view, which he's demonstrated.  I agree 100%.  There's no possible way to judge distance without knowing the field of view of the lens & doing some calculations.

As I mentioned earlier though, it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of time required to ascend to that height.
2016-3-19
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

duritsch22 Posted at 2016-3-19 15:25
Looks like 11,000 to me. I'm a licensed skydiver and we generally exit at around 13,500.  My drop zo ...

It's not possible to compare distances as seen by human eyes to those of a camera.  There are far too many variables to make it meaningful.  As a skydiver, I expect you can calculate how long it would take to ascend to 11,000ft.  Work it out from the P2 spec & see how it compares to the video.
2016-3-19
Use props
alnmurray
New

United States

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A drone came within 200 feet of hitting a Lufthansa jet near Los Angeles International Airport on Friday. The pilot of a Lufthansa A380 approaching the airport on a flight from Frankfurt, Germany, reported that a drone passed about overhead around 1:30 p.m., as the plane was flying at 5,000 feet and was about 14 miles east of the airport, over the heavily populated suburbs of Los Angeles. It landed safely.
2016-3-19
Use props
duritsch22
lvl.2

United States

As a skydiver, I expect you can calculate how long it would take to ascend to 11,000ft.  Work it out from the P2 spec & see how it compares to the video.

That would be way to hard to calculate given the fact that many different type of aircraft are used and many different numbers of skydivers are on a load. If you take a Cessna 208 Caravan (turbo prop ) with 12 skydivers , it might take about 15 min to get to 13,500. That could vary depending on the pilot might take a wide climb as to stay out of traffic, he might have a hangover, all kinds of variables . The phantom on the other hand is going straight up but a loaded Caravan has a bit of a gradual climb and the winds aloft can make the ascent labor intensive on the aircraft. When skydiving with a group, I don't have the time to sight see as I'm busy doing relative work in the dive.  When I do solo skydives I have 60 seconds to take it all in, do a slow 360 and enjoy. The drone video , at 11,000 looks about like what I see at that altitude. My fall rate is about 115 MPH stable. So, what altitude does everybody think the Phantom actually achieved ?     
2016-3-19
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

GQ. Posted at 2016-3-7 22:53
I dont understand why flying over 400 feet. Phantom are made for video and photos. Nothing is intere ...

You also overstate the risk to a large passenger aircraft
Have you ever seen what happens to bird weighing several kilos that hit's a large aircraft. Usually the result is: Aircraft:1 Bird:nil.
Most dangerous situations of this type occur when a large aircraft  hits a flock of birds (vis a vis Hudson river incident). I saw this once, with a B737 on take-off, it was an impressive sight with large flames coming out of the starboard engine. The aircraft completed a circuit and landed safely with zero injury/loss of (human) life.
To the best of my knowledge there has never been an incident where a consumer drone has actually hit an aircraft (commercial or otherwise). This despite the millions of drones thought to be out there.
2016-3-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What I have seen on videos in the past, If the drone has great connectivity to the radio, on the way up,
he could possibly cut the motors and free fall back, for a good distance, and eventually restart the motors for a comfortable safe landing. ;-)

Faster descent, and longer battery life...  Just pray it remains upright, for the free fall. Best Flip it out of ATTI. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-3-19
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-19 21:13
You also overstate the risk to a large passenger aircraft
Have you ever seen what happens to bird w ...

Well , a bird does not have a lipo batterie that will exploded in fire.
2016-3-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

GQ. Posted at 2016-3-20 23:48

unfortunately it would be like running into a Big..ball bearing at cruising speeds....Not a good result!

Note the specs for the P2V the reported "idiot" used...
At a maximum Ascent speed of 6 m/s it would have taken them 9.45 minutes to reach their 3.4km altitude....certainly doable.....
At a maximum Decscent speed of 2 m/s it would have taken them 28.3 minutes to come down...NOT going to happen unless they had a dual battery set up......and we do not know that......We did not even see the Phantom, a bit of prop etc. but never showed us the real thing....

The P2V battery on a good day would never, ever even come remotely close to that...NOT EVEN CLOSE, maybe 18-20 minutes max in ideal conditions.....Not 37+ minutes...

Not possible without some trickery...unless they had a dual battery (possible) or possibly had a parachute depoloyed after a CSC and they used the find my phantom to get it back...

P2V .JPG
2016-3-20
Use props
dhogo2
lvl.1

Ireland

i think flying that high is giving us normal drone pilots a bad name
2016-3-20
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

GQ. Posted at 2016-3-21 01:48

Yes there are differences between a drone and a bird for sure but what the significance of that difference is still unknown (from an impact consequence perspective) until someone does some proper studies.

Before that you need to assess the likelihood of this happening (risk =likelihood x consequence). Here is a study on precisely that Dourado and Hammond (2016)

So likelihood = rare(very); Consequence = unknown (but likely to be something like major); Risk = low

Edit: this is an engineered explosion in the worst possible part of an engine:
2016-3-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

dhogo2 Posted at 2016-3-21 01:45
i think flying that high is giving us normal drone pilots a bad name

Ya think?....
And who/what is normal?
2016-3-20
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

You guys are funny.  Don't you know,  " If it was on the internet,  it must be true ".  Ben franklin,  1760.
2016-3-20
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-3-21 10:53
You guys are funny.  Don't you know,  " If it was on the internet,  it must be true ".  Ben franklin ...

Whaaaat?
Wow! well if Edison said it, and I read it on the Internet- it must be true!
2016-3-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-3-21 08:38
Ya think?....
And who/what is normal?

Anyone calls me normal and I will biff him one!
2016-3-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-21 10:38
Anyone calls me normal and I will biff him one!

Thank you and far from it myself....
2016-3-20
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-3-20 16:05
At a maximum Ascent speed of 6 m/s it would have taken them 9.45 minutes to reach their 3.4km altitude....certainly doable...

And on the video, it only took 3:29!
2016-3-21
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
United Kingdom

duritsch22 Posted at 2016-3-20 00:07
As a skydiver, I expect you can calculate how long it would take to ascend to 11,000ft.  Work it ou ...

I was talking about the P2 drone.  See above.
2016-3-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules