Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha everyone,
If you are familiar with GIS, you likely know the company ESRI (the leading GIS software, ArcGIS).  They just released a new application http://esri.com/drone2map called Drone2Map, I've done a couple sample projectsing using my Inspire 1 imagery, and have also been able to add imagery from the Handheld OSMO X3.  The images aren't geotagged, so you do need to create some tie points between the drone and OSMO images, but the software can use the OSMO images to add oblique data/details along building sides.  Drones capture the top view real well and some oblique data but I'm thinking that adding better ground based images should improve results. I'm hoping to experiment more in the coming weeks to see how much better my mapping projects can be with some added OSMO data.
2016-3-7
Use props
eta1131
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3032966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the heads up pinpoint. Can wait to try it.

I just ordered an osmo for the same purposes.  I was planning on using my x3 camera as well.   It is too bad the images are not geotagged.  
I was thinking of mounting the osmo on pole when needed for higher shots.    I am thinking about making a belt with a cup to support the pole base and rig up a mount to hold your idevice where you can operate it with on hand.      This beats flying close to structures and would be much faster too.    I think.
2016-3-18
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

A pretty good concept. Look forward to hear more from you soon!
2016-3-18
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

How did you go, pinpoint? Just about to start doing 3d imagery but need a good oblique method since flying low and close to structure is risky here at the project site.
2016-10-25
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,
I've used the OSMO with X3 camera and it worked for mapping projects, but found that it required a high number of images to "cover" the area (need 70-80% overlap between images).  I've since been more focused on using the Ricoh Theta S 360 spherical camera rather than the OSMO.  Since it captures 360 degrees in each photo, it takes much fewer photos to get a good 3D model.  I was also impressed with the results of just using the Ipad Mini I use to control my DJI drone & OSMO.  The iPad geotags the images (best to use an iPad that has Wireless data because they actually have a GPS receiver chip, while the WiFi only version lacks a GPS receiver and calculates geotag data based off of Wifi hotspots and isn't nearly as accurate).  
For exterior Oblique images, I'd suggest you give your iPad (or android device) a shot.  The Theta will capture alot of sky and backround data that isn't of interest and really works best for Interior mapping where you want floor & Ceiling info).  Keep in mind that when using Structure from Motion type approaches to mapping you will need to keep as consistent of offset from the subject being mapped so that the software can find  keypoints between data sets.  If you fly your UAV at 30m, your oblique ground shots should be no closer than 15m (half your drone height) for the software to find keypoints between sensors (ipad & drone).
Practice makes perfect.  I have just gotten some new info on how use ESRI Full Motion Video extension with the Inspire 1 Video footage.  I'm still working out the workflow to convert the flight log data into MISB compliant metadata, but am very close....
2016-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules