1860 22 2016-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rockliffe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To date I have had this problem for 4 weeks. This recommended Olympus 12mm lens that has been sanctioned by DJI as being compatible, has been used on three previous X5 cameras. Yes, three previous X5 cameras that each had severe video transmission issues but with no vibrating issues. The current camera has no video issues and provides a perfect picture feed, however, it now has this vibration issue that deems the footage totally unusable. The lens is being used as recommended by DJI, without any hood and sits quite well balanced on the gimbal, but when I tilt downwards, it starts to vibrate violently. Heliguy in the UK have had another customer issue with this and have brought it to the attention of DJI. Oh, this was after DJI recommended the lens should be balance !???????????? But it is balanced, it is recommended by DJI! There is a lens profile in the software.
I did put in a support request and went into quite some detail about the issue. A week later I got a standard response telling me to return the whole unit to DJI! As much as I love the Inspire and DJI products, this will be the hair that breaks the camel's back.

I am getting sick to the back teeth of the lack of communication with this company. I have invested more than £7000 in DJI equipment, work as a commercial operator and do not expect to have this degree of flakey support from anyone who takes that kind of money from me in return for buying their product.

I would desperately like someone from DJI to acknowledge that this is a known problem and inform me what is being done about it. Please DJI, do reply to this request. Thank you.

2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

I' sorry that you experiencing difficulties with our product....does it happens only with this lens?
2016-3-8
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Some significant quality issues there if this is your 4th X5.
It's a poor outcome, especially considering the investment.
Just goes to show that marketing spin doesn't readily translate into real world quality.

I hope they sort it for you Rockliffe, that's just bang out of order.
2016-3-8
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-8 12:25
I' sorry that you experiencing difficulties with our product....does it happens only with this lens? ...

Thanks for replying Tim. Sure, it only happens with this lens. The lens has worked fine with previous three cameras, this is the fourth camera where I am having problems, so there's clearly no problem with the lens. To suggest I balance the lens is absurd. To take a week to reply with a standard reply is unacceptable.

I must add that Heliguy in the UK are pursuing this issue. The reply from DJI to Heliguy was there was a possible fault with the lens. No there isn't, as it has worked perfectly fine with three previous cameras. Another response to them was to tell me to balance the lens! What for????

It seems to me there are some real areas of support that need addressing at DJI and I'm rather tired to keep hearing that these are being dealt with. I would suggest that if DJI are selling products as professional equipment, that they get their act together and offer a professional support system.

I shouldn't have to wait a week to get a darn support response. I shouldn't have to send emails to get support. I shouldn't expect the same issue to appear on three cameras. When I do get a response to a support request, I don't think it's expecting too much to expect my support request to have been read correctly and then to receive an informed response.

Anyway, I'm sure you can appreciate, I am extremely annoyed. But I thank you for your reply Tim, and yes, it only happens with this one lens.
2016-3-8
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any replies?
2016-3-9
Use props
jamessmith32189
New

United Kingdom

I am the other Heliguy customer that had this problem. They were unable to solve it and the response from DJI was a waste of time.
I gave up in the end and sold the 12mm lens on eBay.
NOT a very happy person to say the least
2016-3-9
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jamessmith32189 Posted at 2016-3-9 19:02
I am the other Heliguy customer that had this problem. They were unable to solve it and the respon ...

You're kiddin me James. If I have to do that then their advertising information is a lie. They categorically have sold the X5 as being compatible with the Olympus Zuiko 12mm lens. In fact that was one of two third party lenses said to be compatible with the X5 right at the beginning of the launch, the other being the 15mm Zeiss. I purchased the 12mm for the very reason that I feel the 15mm lens is too tight for many applications. If I don't have a 12mm lens then that would be useless. I am tired of DJI. When something like this is brought to their attention they should immediately sort it out, not swipe it under the carpet. In fact they have a legal obligation. If I bought a car that was advertised as being compatible with a particular brand of fuel that I used, but after purchasing it found that the car would not run on that fuel, then they would have sold the vehicle under a falsehood. I knew before buying the X5 that a 15mm lens would be too tight for my requirements, hence the reason for buying the 12mm.
This whole thing is absurd. I'm still waiting to hear from DJI.
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2016-3-10 05:17
You're kiddin me James. If I have to do that then their advertising information is a lie. They cate ...

I'm escalating your case to out R&D, could what Firmware are you using?
2016-3-9
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-10 04:08
I'm escalating your case to out R&D, could what Firmware are you using?

Hi Tim, thank you. Sure, I updated the firmware yesterday to the latest, but the issue remains. No problem with the DJI 15mm, only the Olympus. But I must emphasise, that this issue has not been seen on the three previous cameras I have used. Thanks.
2016-3-10
Use props
jamessmith32189
New

United Kingdom

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2016-3-10 16:07
Hi Tim, thank you. Sure, I updated the firmware yesterday to the latest, but the issue remains. No  ...

My first gimbal/X5 that came with the Inspire Pro did not have a problem with the Olympus 12mm lens however this unit was replaced under warranty as it was twitching all the time. The next 2 gimbal/X5 units both had this vibrating problem with the Oly lens and so the whole Inspire was shipped back to Heliguy where they tried everything to solve the problem without success. I really wish now that I had pursued this item more vigorously with DJI but due to this and other problems with the Inspire at the time, I came very close to getting rid of the complete outfit. I still have the Inspire Pro and use the DJI 15mm lens fairly successfully up to now ,however the only reason I am holding on to it for now is the severe financial loss in putting it on eBay.
2016-3-10
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jamessmith32189 Posted at 2016-3-10 19:56
My first gimbal/X5 that came with the Inspire Pro did not have a problem with the Olympus 12mm len ...

I'm absolutely gobsmacked to hear that you too, also had three previous camera units prior to experiencing the problems. In my opinion, DJI needs to look carefully at their quality control and reduce the margin of tolerance. Clearly, from my own perspecitve, it seems that some cameras work OK, while others do not.

Then in that case James, DJI should reimburse you 100%. You should not be out of pocket. A product you bought was sold to you being fit for a particular purpose, in this case compatibility with a specific recommended lens. If it does not work with the lens, then it is unfit for that specific purpose.

I love the Inspire, it is a wonderful bit of kit. I don't particularly want any kind of reimbursement, I would prefer for someone at DJI to take ownership of this problem and get to the bottom of things. It really shouldn't be that difficult.

2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Some bad results i got here...I'm afraid that your camera has to be replaced... Please contact your local DJI support center to get the replacement...
2016-3-10
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-11 07:31
Some bad results i got here...I'm afraid that your camera has to be replaced... Please contact your  ...

Thanks Tim.
2016-3-11
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

BTW could you please pass me your gimbal's serial number, this camera will be sent back to HQ R&D for investigation
2016-3-11
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-11 09:42
BTW could you please pass me your gimbal's serial number, this camera will be sent back to HQ R&D  ...

Certainly Tim. There are two stickies on the gimbal. This is the one by the gimbal connection: W10HB010L9  and this is the one on the main shaft of the gimbal: 058DCJ29000769. I shall call Heliguy.
2016-3-11
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've been in touch with Heliguy and they are replacing the camera. So hopefully the 5th camera will be OK! Many thanks for your help Tim.
2016-3-11
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

is there any difference how the video looks in cloudy weather?
2016-3-12
Use props
njabinc
lvl.2

United States

jamessmith32189 Posted at 2016-3-10 14:56
My first gimbal/X5 that came with the Inspire Pro did not have a problem with the Olympus 12mm len ...

I'm very happy your getting yet another camera. That said I did a lot of lens testing for the X5 and after testing well over 20 lenses I have 12 different lenses that are recognized and controlled by the app and can be balanced on the camera and gimbal. That said I found manufacturing differences in identical lenses which meant their weight was +/- up to 5g so I had to build that error factor into my weight and balance applied. You may have a 12mm on the light side of the error. It's not hard to check as all one needs to do is visit a popular retailers web site which lists specs for the lens and see what they report the weight as. You can also visit the manufacturer web site to do the same. Then simply weigh the lens in the same configuration, hood or no hood,  without protective covers of course. You may just find that when you receive your next camera you will still need to balance that lens. DJI seems to have designed the gimbal with the forethought that filters would be attached to even the heaviest lens so the weight and balance needs to allow for that. Even if your not using a light altering filter the use of a clear inexpensive UV filter is absolutely suggested as it is protection for the lens. Bower has a HD UV filter that is less than $5 so it's very inexpensive insurance for a $700 lens and may just help your weight and balance issue.
2016-3-12
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

njabinc Posted at 2016-3-12 17:52
I'm very happy your getting yet another camera. That said I did a lot of lens testing for the X5 an ...

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. Sure, but this whole lens balancing thing ha sgot me completely at a loss. I was told quite categorically from DJI, or should I say one of the DJI admins(?) on this forum, that the lens should only be used without any lens hood and is correctly balanced. The only way I managed to prevent the gimbal/camera from vibrating was to add some extra weight on the front of the camera, so effectively going against the advice I was given. Also, in doing so, the camera was clearly unbalanced as it drooped downwards with the power turned off.
2016-3-13
Use props
njabinc
lvl.2

United States

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2016-3-13 18:46
Thanks for the reply, appreciated. Sure, but this whole lens balancing thing ha sgot me completely ...

Remember in this case balance is directly proportional to the weight the gimble software expects to support. The gimble isn't a pendulum it's a motorized computer controlled camera positioner.
2016-3-13
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

njabinc Posted at 2016-3-14 05:40
Remember in this case balance is directly proportional to the weight the gimble software expects t ...

Sure, but I have always thought that balancing a gimbal correctly, effectively means that the camera has as little excess weight on any axis, so that it does not droop down or point upwards when left in a state of rest. That is a balanced lens surely? If the lens is in a horizontal and well balance situation at rest and then weights are added to reduce the vibration then surely it becomes unbalanced, yes?
2016-3-14
Use props
njabinc
lvl.2

United States

rockliffe@btcon Posted at 2016-3-14 07:53
Sure, but I have always thought that balancing a gimbal correctly, effectively means that the came ...

Logic has little to do with DJI engineering. Start from what we know and work backward. Mount the DJI prime in their configuration and examine what the camera does and what state it's in. Then reproduce. Actually without going on and on it would make sense that the motors would be designed to see a certain amount of load no mater what as if they existed in a state of rest the response to motion would involve first gaining control and then correction. if control is maintained by preload then response naturally is faster.
2016-3-14
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

njabinc Posted at 2016-3-14 13:24
Logic has little to do with DJI engineering. Start from what we know and work backward. Mount the  ...

My fear is adding weight so it removes the vibration, but in doing so it puts extra strain on the motors.
EDIT: I've just received a replacement camera and it works fine. Once I have had a test flight, hopefully, I'll be a happy boy! I'd just like to add thanks to Heliguy for their constant help and support.
2016-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules