Filming short film with OSMO tips?
4850 5 2016-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joshuanicholas1
lvl.2
Indonesia

Hey All,

So I'm planning to shoot a short film in about a week or two, and I've done tons of research on how to make a good short film, and the settings and all. But I could hardly find one that is specifically for the DJI OSMO! So I'm here to ask the OSMO community, any tips on settings or anything that would benefit my short film? Also one question, can you not adjust the blur of the background in the OSMO?

Thanks in advance!!
2016-3-8
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

to answer your question, the Osmo is a fixed aperture lens so you cannot adjust it / get separation from your subject and background.
2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello! Welcome to our forum!
I'll advise you to read this thread from jimhare who has posted really some good post: http://forum.dji.com/thread-9738-1-1.html
Look forward to your sharing here, too!
2016-3-8
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Perhaps one thing to consider is the sound aspect.

As you will probably know by reading the threads, there is a significant mismatch between sound and vision. Also be aware that recording is mono only, and that there is significant noise from the motors.

Some people have also reported occasional/not-so-occasional "clicks" on the Osmo audio track.

So, if you plan on recording dialogue to an external recorder, you cannot use the Osmo for a guide track.

If you are going to record dialogue direct to camera, you will only be able to record short sequences.

So, if your film requires any significant dialogue, you will need to record to an external recorder and sync this to the video in post.

Dji are indicating that these problems will/may be solved in the next firmware release -- but no date as yet.
2016-3-9
Use props
robind_r
lvl.3
United Kingdom

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-9 11:30
Perhaps one thing to consider is the sound aspect.

As you will probably know by reading the threads ...

Good points about the audio problems.
Another point to consider is that the Osmo only has a fixed wide-angle lens, so don't expect to get any decent close-ups. The focus will fall off if you get closer than 3 feet. Also, a close-up on a wide lens is not very attractive.
You might consider shooting in 4K, and editing on a 1080 timeline. That way, you can get a degree of enlarging of the shot, before the definition starts to go.
Unless something is specifically choreographed for the Osmo, I tend to use it just as a 'B' camera to get the type of shots that it's best at.
2016-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

The OSMO is a fantastic addition to a short film, but I wouldn't recommend making one on it exclusively.  It will best be suited for flowing establishing shots, walking/moving shots or other dynamic situations.   
As for settings, yes, please see my tutorials listed in the above response.  They are the same for both the Inspire and Osmo.

For the rest of your shots you will want another camera.  If your budget is limited then look at a DSLR.

Also, you should record your sound separately, not directly into the OSMO.  You can use it's audio for reference but you won't want it for the final.  

Run lapel mics or a boom mic either into a dedicated sound recorder, or in a pinch, into your fixed camera.  Again, for best results, don't use audio from the OSMO.

Hope this helps.
2016-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules