Parachute for Phantom 4
8949 20 2016-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Contat
New
Flight distance : 1133570 ft
Italy

Hi, we have ordered our Phantom 4.Now we are intrested in security accesories, in special way we NEED some parachute system.
Is possibile to integrate a parachute system? At least of we have any GPIO on the drone?
Thanks.
2016-3-8
Use props
rwhoffart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13068 ft
United States

Why not just purchase the DJI care? $299 for a year and you can fly it like a rent car.
2016-3-8
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft

Phantom destruction is 97.656% flying into something.  A parachute will not save you.
2016-3-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

No, there is no GPIO on the aircraft. Most of the parachute systems are bulky and compromise the aircraft in some way.
2016-3-8
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

Wut, it already comes with obstacle avoidance sensors, RTH, FPV etc etc. Now you want a parachute?
2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I don't think a parachute would really help, at least with the hobby grade ones I've seen.
DJI Care is your best bet.
http://store.dji.com/help/ordering/dji-care
2016-3-8
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

Ken, if I may.  I have a few questions about this Care plan.  

-What is considered normal use.  If I accidently cut my drone into a tree and it breaks a few arms, its covered?
-I got my phantom 3 a few weeks ago, maybe a month or so.  But as long as I can submit a video showing the drone is working and flying and physically fine I can still get it.  Do I understand that correctly?
-If I'm in the last thirty days of the care plan and I total my phantom it says it will reimburse 80% of the cost of the drone.  Could we then pay a difference and upgrade to a higher end model?
2016-3-8
Use props
waynepj3
lvl.3
  • >>>

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I fly all the time and no crashes. Not even a close call. The Phantom 4 will be safer than any Phantom that has preceded it. Forward facing obstacle avoidance, longer batt life, auto return to home...

You would really need to crash this drone deliberately as it flies itself...if you do crash it just spend another $1400....its only money and you cant take it with you...enjoy it...money, unspent is wasted.
2016-3-8
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-8 19:47
I don't think a parachute would really help, at least with the hobby grade ones I've seen.
DJI Care  ...

but  the parachute can help you save some money haha
i mean it only covers the quad damages ,  but what i you crash and hit an expensive car
if you get any system error battery , IMU , or anything else you can avoid a hard crash  or catch the quad in the air with the parachute

its just an example
2016-3-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

arock387@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-9 11:52
Ken, if I may.  I have a few questions about this Care plan.  

-What is considered normal use.  If  ...

Yes, if you accidentally run into a tree you are covered under the DJI Care plan.
Yes, you have until March 22nd to submit your video to see if you qualify for DJI Care.
I don't believe you can upgrade, but I will find out 100% tomorrow.
2016-3-8
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

waynepj3@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-9 03:58
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I fly all the time and no crashes. Not even a close ...

Must be very nice to live in your little bubble of naivety. Because, of course, people avoid buying a new drone every time they crash because they were planning on taking the money it with them when they die!

2016-3-8
Use props
Dimjar
lvl.1

France

Without taking into account the DJI care, I think there will be the possibilty to adapt existing chutes on it or maybe some specific products will be released. But I don't think it will be from DJI.
2016-3-29
Use props
thekzizot
New

Israel

Well actually DJI does have a parachute system called DropSafe

I did some google and found the company that created this system for DJI - it is called ParaZero

http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/14 ... e-parazero-safeair/

Maybe you should contact them and see if they have a parachute for Phantom 4
2016-4-7
Use props
rocco8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4227861 ft
New Zealand

SVTRay Posted at 2016-3-9 08:27
Wut, it already comes with obstacle avoidance sensors, RTH, FPV etc etc. Now you want a parachute?

look what happens when you lose a motor
2016-7-5
Use props
ParachuteDrone
New

France

In case you are still looking for a parachute for your phantom 4, Mars Parachutes says on their homepage that they are working on a system for the Phantom 4. You may subscribe to their newsletter to show your interest in this particular product.
And Skycat has the XS model for Phantom 4 already available, you will need to add a receiver and a battery to trigger the parachute, the system weighs  150g.
Other than that, there's no COTS parachute for Phantom 4.
For triggering you can also use the Mayday board from North UAV. This should work with Skycat's system as well as with Mars's.
2017-2-14
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

I think a parachute would be great, you may want to consider a command like motors shutoff to trigger it. that way you may be able to fit it underneath and be sure props are off. also a parachute needs deploy within few seconds of a malfunction, meaning pilot reflexes are still crucial.
2017-2-14
Use props
Sunlover82
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84196 ft
United States

Doesn’t anyone think about the consequences and liability issues if your drone does have a mishap and crass say into a home or a vehicle? Safety is key and if something did happen and you were able to show you did all you could to prevent damage to property or persons that should go along way, there are some (lots) of people out there looking for ways to sue instead of having a real job. Be Safe! Fly Safe! Wishing you had a safety backup after the fact isn’t a safety plan. Yea you aren’t supposed to fly over people etc, but how many videos have you seen people doing what they aren’t supposed to do? Or say your drone loses GPS, yes it happens, I know first hand, luckily I was only 3 ft off the ground. Didn’t know what made my DJI p4p act up and attack a truck but it did, upon analyzing my flight records it showed 12+ satellites and within a few seconds lost almost all satellites, evidently this is why it attacked the truck. Luckily as I said I was only 3 ft off the ground and no persons were close by. But imagine 400 ft AGL and loose satellites, could be a catastrophe waiting to happen. Yea if I was higher up maybe I could’ve regained control but you never know for sure.
2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Contat, it cost 249 € to buy a DJI care and I think it will be more reliable to have the official service and get it repair if it crashes. Here is the link: http://store.dji.com/product/dji ... ear?site=brandsite.
2017-11-13
Use props
Dovivan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

boxerman Posted at 2016-3-8 15:54
Phantom destruction is 97.656% flying into something.  A parachute will not save you.

maybe not, but is it important item for premisiom fly over buildings and peoples sometime.
2017-11-13
Use props
Dannytidwell75
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398625 ft
United States

I love the idea I think it's a smart Avenue to explore....haven't ever heard of the concept but it actually could save lives or damage....how many posts on here have we read that say my bird fell out of the sky?...to answer that....lots....what a good idea to bring to the table
2017-11-13
Use props
Gene E
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8012 ft

Hi All, I know this is late to reply to the thread, but here is our Phantom 4 drone parachute system. It does not interfere with operation in any way:
https://fruitychutes.com/buyachu ... r-system-p-234.html

This is a serious safety system designed to mitigate risk in case of a crash.  Think of this like an airbag for cars and designed to mitigate risk of injury to people or property damage.  If you want to avoid hurting someone, protect your reputation, or avoid becoming a news story then this will makes since.

-Gene

2018-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules