Vision + range extender problem (Help)
2445 16 2015-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carlos
New

United States

I recently purchased a DJI phantom vision + and ever since I have used my phantom the range extender seems to not function properly. I tired contacting several people including DJI represenatives to find a solution but non of them work. I recived training after buying my drone and I am certain I didnt make a mistake. I have tried several things recomended such as...

- Binding my iPhone from the DJI app
- Trying several other devices
- Turning on airplane mode
- Closing all open applications
- And even changing to the original SIM card (Didn't see how this woudl affected range extender)

I noticed that my drone remains connected inside my house but as soon as I take it outside it disconnects after a few minutes of flying which I find odd. I included a picture of the error code I consistently recive.

If anybody could help that would be much appraciated. Thanks.

phantom error code

phantom error code
2015-1-8
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You didn't mention: Android or iOS?  On Android for sure, and maybe on iOS there is a setting to "Ignore unreliable networks".  If this is on (default) then the device will disconnect when it finds no internet connection available (which, since the Phantom does not have one it will be disconnected).  I suspect iOS has something similar but I don't have ont to tell you what it might be called.

How is the WIFI signal when inside?

It's odd that it disconnects only outside; that does suggest some large amount of WIFI interference but I wanted to get the indoor signal strength before suggesting it.

If you don't have one; get a WIFI signal strength app.  On Android I use "WIFI Analyzer"; it's free and reports on WIFI SSIDs, channels and signal strength.  It may point to the issue especially if you find a very strong signal on channel 1 (the default connection extender to Phantom).

I'll put more thought about it while you check the above out and perhaps others have some ideas as well.

2015-1-8
Use props
carlos
New

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-9 09:36
You didn't mention: Android or iOS?  On Android for sure, and maybe on iOS there is a setting to "Ig ...

Yes I am on iOS. I also turned of join known networks as well but that didnt seem to solve it.

The phantoms wifi signal is just as strong inside as it is outside.
(it losses connection as soon as it takes off or start the engines)

I sometime transition from inside to outside and after a few minutes of flight i get the same error code  
2015-1-8
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

At this point I'd say return it and get a new unit.  If it's under 30 days you should be able to get the dealer to exchange it (depending on the dealer).

One more question (actually 2):  If you spin up the motors while inside (props off) does it still disconnect?  Have you tried a different location, away from the house?

Unless someone else has something to add/suggest?
2015-1-8
Use props
wolfain
lvl.1

Singapore

This Is the exact same problem I'm suffering! Did you find a fix? I tried to Rebind but have a weak connection at best ..
2015-1-17
Use props
wolfain
lvl.1

Singapore

I was trying to troubleshoot further, but I realised I have the same weird problem.. indoors at home, I connect totally fine to the drone via my iphone 6+ app, but when I went outdoors, I have difficulty keeping the wifi signal connected. This has never happened before, so weird.

Any advice anyone? Please help!
2015-1-18
Use props
HKRyan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23465 ft
Hong Kong

Same problem here!  Just got my quad 2 weeks ago.  Would love to know a solution.  Inside... totally fine.  Outside in a wide open field... lose connection... sometimes connects for a minute... then phantom wifi disappears.
2015-1-20
Use props
c7fxgm.email
lvl.1

United States

I had this same problem after flying maybe 10 times before without an issue.

Yesterday the weather was good to fly and my connection would fail when I was three feet away from the copter or after flying maybe 50 feet. I wonder if they updated the software and it now has a glitch.
I deleted the app on my phone and did a hard reset with the phone. Re downloaded the app back on the phone and now it works fine.
2015-1-20
Use props
wolfain.email
lvl.1

Singapore

c7fxgm.email Posted at 2015-1-21 09:54
I had this same problem after flying maybe 10 times before without an issue.

Yesterday the weather  ...

hmmm.. what do you mean a hard reset? complete reformat? is this iOS?

I tried to connect with a spare android phone but suffer the same problem. I'm begging to suspect a hardware failure / faulty of sorts.
2015-1-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

One thing I have done (on iOS),
Put my phone into airplane mode, this turns off everything, Bluetooth, Wifi etc.
Switch on Wifi manually
Forget any networks that come up other than the Phantom.
Has been good so far...
2015-1-21
Use props
HD
lvl.2

Portugal

I have the same problem, and I have tried the my phantom with an iOS device after formatting it and installing the DJI Vision application, and I still the same problem. I've have taken my P2V+ to my dealer. I believe it is a hardware problem.
2015-1-21
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-1-22 01:46
One thing I have done (on iOS),
Put my phone into airplane mode, this turns off everything, Bluetoot ...

I have only used my Android Samsung Galaxy S4 at home. I connected fine but after about 10 minutes the phone decides to connect me to another network. I will try that airplane setting
2015-1-22
Use props
c7fxgm.email
lvl.1

United States

wolfain.email Posted at 2015-1-22 00:11
hmmm.. what do you mean a hard reset? complete reformat? is this iOS?

I tried to connect with a s ...

Sorry its an iPhone. I was using an old iPhone 5 and had the issues. I deleted the app and did a hard restart. I grabbed my iPhone 6 which I used with previous flights and everything worked fine. I haven't retried the the iPhone 5 because of weather.
I switched to my old iPhone 5 because  its smaller and I don't have to worry about getting a call. Both phones had the same IOS version.
2015-1-22
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-1-23 08:59
I have only used my Android Samsung Galaxy S4 at home. I connected fine but after about 10 minutes ...

Airplane setting did no good. I reset the extender and the using the vision app QR scanner rebound the camera and that seems to be working. Connected for 20 minutes now
2015-1-22
Use props
dobova
lvl.3
Flight distance : 664337 ft
Italy

Hi,
My brand new P2V+ 3.0 just arrived from DJI, out of the box show same issue... Sigh! I've "upgraded" range extender from Vision APP ... mhh it seems that it may create issue with phones
I use iphone 6+ but android show same problem !!
will try resetting RE...
Any other idea ???
2015-5-2
Use props
sdtag
lvl.2

United States

Of course you guys know to aim the flat part of the extender towards the Phantom while it's in flight right?

2015-5-2
Use props
dobova
lvl.3
Flight distance : 664337 ft
Italy

sdtag@msn.com Posted at 2015-5-2 21:17
Of course you guys know to aim the flat part of the extender towards the Phantom while it's in fligh ...

Ehm .. I'm 1 meter from the drone and aiming to it ...
The same problem remain also after RE reset&rebind. What I noted is that w/o GPS locked, wifi doesn't drop also with engine running. As soon as GPS lock to 6 or more sats and engines start, immidiately wifi drop.
I'm afraid hardware issue inside the Phantom!!... SIGH!!!
2015-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules