Idiotic mistake
1070 10 2016-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vcampos139
New

United States

So yes, im an idiot, my drone went for a swin in the river.  Took me about 20-30 minutes to find it.  I endured extremely freezing water temps walking in chest high water to find my P3P.  I wasnt going to let it go down without a fight.  Ive read articles and youtubed and googled how to dry it.  My question is, whats the best way to dry the camera?  There is a lot of water condensation in the lens.  I put the drone in rice for about 2 or 3 hours and blow dried it for about an hour.  I wont turn it on till atleast tomorrow to make sure its completely dry.  I think the battery is ruined.  But back to my question.  Whats the best way to dry out the camera?  
2016-3-9
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Disassemble anything you can (camera lens cover) see here..http://forum.dji.com/thread-44858-1-1.html to ensure moisture is removed or easily removeable and that includes the gimbal if you can...
I would then put the phantom and camera over a heat register and leave it on for a day or so, rotating every hour or two as if you were smoking it....it will dry out...slowly!...
Oh, nice save by the way and it could have been worse..

2016-3-9
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Get some silica gel in a box & put the camera in it.  It's made of the job.
2016-3-9
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

nigelw Posted at 2016-3-10 06:02
Get some silica gel in a box & put the camera in it.  It's made of the job.

Nigel,
Where can you buy that silica jell?
2016-3-9
Use props
Phantomen3
lvl.2

Sweden

Put the drone on a plate in the oven at a temperature 40-50 degrees not more then that! let it be for maybe 1 ½ hour to get dry. You can or should also try to clean the drone with Distilled water and let it dry for a long long time, now maybe we talk 2 days or maybe 1 week.

dont dry the drone in the oven with battery in. leave it outside the oven!
2016-3-9
Use props
nigelw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-3-9 22:04
Nigel,
Where can you buy that silica jell?

Amazon sell it.  Also RS Components if they're in Canada.
Electrical component suppliers.
2016-3-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

My advice would be to throw away the battery, too risky to try and use it again, and don't be in a hurry to dry out the aircraft, take it slowly. Also, as said, disassemble the camera as much as you dare, it tends to trap water inside.
2016-3-9
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Dis assemble as much as you can.  Flush well with DISTILLED water only.  The reason for this is,  to water you crashed in is conductive.  When it dries,  it leaves residue that be harmful.  Distilled water is not conductive.  It will wash away ant bad stuff.  After flushing with the distilled,  put it in a box with the silica gel or a couple pounds of rice or any moisture absorbant product.  Leave it for several days.
2016-3-9
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-9 17:50
My advice would be to throw away the battery, too risky to try and use it again, and don't be in a h ...

Yep toss the battery, its literally a ticking time bomb that can explode and burn down the OP house after a traumatic crash and being water logged.
Make sure to completely discharge the battery for safe disposal, I would put the battery in the middle of my back yard, far from anything and drive a nail through the battery and run. It will then set off a chain reaction that will destroy the 4 cells in spectacular dangerous fassion. If you do this I'd record it but be very careful and run after you nail it in a few inches and stay far away as it can explode.  Tons of videos on YouTube discharging unsafe battery's like this but you can always buy an adaptor off eBay that hooks a light up to it to completely discharge it for safe disposal.
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-3-10 06:59
Dis assemble as much as you can.  Flush well with DISTILLED water only.  The reason for this is,  to ...

Nice suggestion
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

So sorry for your accident.
What caused it?
2016-3-9
Use props