Phantom 4 Experience
123Next >
10926 83 2016-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

The P4 was announced about a week ago, and I was delighted when I had the opportunity to borrow one from the company this weekend. In this post, I would like to share my experience with it.

Below is a photo I took with the Phantom 3 on top of the Phantom 4.
P4 first thread.jpg

The P4`s battery is a bit thicker than the P3`s. That is because the battery cells are further apart, so that heat dissipates more effectively. You can see in the pictures that there is no single cell has swelled up.

Plugging in and pulling out the P4`s battery is considerably easier than it was with the P3. P4 batteries have grooved, rubber clips on both sides, not just one side. The battery socket is also designed to be more ergonomic.

8.jpg

Below, you can see the P4 battery`s air vents.  

P4 first thread1.jpg

The LEDs on the aircraft arms are now concave. Unfortunately, because the P4’s shell is sized differently, so it doesn’t fit so well into the P3’s hard-shell backpack. The batteries also don’t fit.
2.jpg

This GIF shows the Active Track function, which is amazing and very useful. I am wondering if the Phantoms can detect and be controlled by body language in the future. Then we could control drones without a remote controller!
3.gif
In the GIF, the Phantom is following a person running on a curved track while flying backwards. However, there is no obstacle sensors on the P4’s tail, so if you’re flying backwards, make sure there are no obstacles its way.

I’m going to have a lot of fun with ActiveTrack in the future.
4.gif

The new lens on the P4’s camera produces much clearer images than the P3.
5.gif

You can also now shoot at videos at 120 frames per second at 1080p. 120fps makes for much better slow motion when you’re shooting at close range (like in the picture below), but if you’re shooting from high altitudes (like in the picture below), you won’t need to shoot at such a high frame rate.
6.gif
The image above shows the aircraft’s motion in S Mode
  The Forward Obstacle Sensing system won’t work while using the S Mode. So make sure to use S Mode in an open area. Then have a blast flying crazy fast.

7.gif

The aircraft is flying straight backwards in the image above.

Conclusion

The P4’s battery life has increased a lot, and the Active Track function is really amazing. However, there are some conditions under which you may lose track of the object or person you’re following. Make sure that the object is well contrasted with the background, and fly around the object or person before starting to track it. This way, the P4 can study the subject from all sides and learn its shape and characteristics. Also, make sure to keep the object in the center of the frame.

My time with the P4 was limited, so I haven’t had the chance to check out all the new functions. Hoping to take it out again soon!

2016-3-10
Use props
salvosky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 120253 ft
United States

Good stuff! Thank you!
2016-3-10
Use props
tmygun1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pretty cool!
Thanks Tim!!
2016-3-10
Use props
kowssarie
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Awesome! Thanks!!!
2016-3-10
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Thank's Tim! I've got my on pre-order.

Do you know, or someone else from DJI here, what the size of the Phantom 4 is (height, rotor diameter, length, width)? On DJI.com it only states the weight. I would like to fill in the forms to get the P4 approved with the Department of Transportation, and in order to get it approved they need those numbers.

Thank's in advance,
Rob
2016-3-10
Use props
MM55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 628527 ft
Canada

Thanks Tim.
2016-3-10
Use props
leo.s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 205696 ft
Italy

You can look at here What are the dimensions of the P4?
2016-3-10
Use props
marlonlopez15
lvl.1

Nice i love my p3s
2016-3-10
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

leo.s Posted at 2016-3-10 18:13
You can look at here What are the dimensions of the P4?

Thank you so much, Leo.s!
2016-3-10
Use props
lignow
lvl.4
Canada

Good Job Tim. ( i thinking about selling a 3 for a  4)
2016-3-10
Use props
Rebel Gal
lvl.2

United States

Great updates...Thanks Tim
2016-3-10
Use props
ross.evans11.gm
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I'd like to know how robust the collision avoidance is.
2016-3-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Mucho Gracias Señor, & Thanks for keeping  all of us, the plebes, informed. Hahaha
It's nice to see you are having fun, as it must be quite awesome, ranking. ;-)
Please continue sharing them good times and tidings.

RedHotPoker
2016-3-10
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

You don't really notice how much weight the phantom 4 has put on until you see a side by side with the p3. I see why some call it the "phantom pillow"
2016-3-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Reminds me of an official Ball Park Frank. They plump when you cook them... ;-)
But oh so tasty, practically reaching delicious status. Hahaha

I actually prefer a gal, with a little wholesome meat on her bones. Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-3-10
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

"Conclusion
The P4’s battery life has increased a lot,"

Thanks for the preview.

How much is "a lot?"
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

hahah nice avatar
2016-3-10
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

That's awesome! But where do I get my DJI Go APP that will support the one I have.  This sucks to be starting at and not flying!!!!
2016-3-10
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

I am soooooo close to putting money down on one of these to add to my kit......make a great traveling platform.
Is there anywhere we can download the highest quality files it is capable of ?
2016-3-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ChiefPilot Posted at 2016-3-10 17:57
What size is the micro SD card?

16gb micro sd card
2016-3-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

salvosky Posted at 2016-3-10 07:32
Good stuff! Thank you!

Thanks Tim. Hopefully mine will arrive next week.
2016-3-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Harb Posted at 2016-3-11 04:18
I am soooooo close to putting money down on one of these to add to my kit......make a great travelin ...

I ordered the p4 for just that reason.
2016-3-11
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

Let me know what you think.......
2016-3-11
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Looks great,  unfortunately I just bought and am highly stisfied with my p3p so won't be upgrading for the forseable future. By the time I'm ready to upgrade it will probably be on the next generation if not even further down the line ;)
2016-3-11
Use props
wellingtonsique
lvl.2
Flight distance : 181358 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

So, as seen, the lack of sensors around and behind the craft makes it vulnerable to collision by sides and back. Another weak point is the disabling of the anti-collision while using the S Mode, what can only be explained by limitations (Processing speed, maybe?) of the avoidance system as for quick-popping objects into the field of view...
Sure it's a great product, but I hope an Inspire 2/Phantom 5 brings 360º avoidance  detection and one that works in ALL MODES, even in Sport mode, because safety is necessary anytime/flight mode you fly...ah, and a 15.000/20.000 mAh battery to really jump the flight time up once and for all...
2016-3-11
Use props
Slow Down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 163599 ft
China

Great job!
2016-3-11
Use props
iherzog97
lvl.2

Brazil

wellingtonsique Posted at 2016-3-11 12:24
So, as seen, the lack of sensors around and behind the craft makes it vulnerable to collision by sid ...

Avoidance is disabled in sport mode because the angle of the aircraft (45o), so the cameras cannot see the obstacule
2016-3-11
Use props
Derek Spear
lvl.1

United States

Tim, how would you compare the Phantom 4's image quality versus the X3 camera on the Inspire 1?
2016-3-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Derek Spear Posted at 2016-3-12 00:39
Tim, how would you compare the Phantom 4's image quality versus the X3 camera on the Inspire 1?

The image quality is much better.
The Phantom 4 camera has been improved in terms of image quality. Chromatic aberration has been reduced by 56% and lens distortion had been reduced by 36% compared to Phantom 3 Professional. In addition to lens improvements, camera firmware has been tweaked to enable the camera to capture 120fps video in full 1080p FHD (the camera’s field of view will be reconfigured to 47° when recording in this mode) for smooth slow motion.
2016-3-11
Use props
dobova
lvl.3
Flight distance : 664337 ft
Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-11 17:51
The image quality is much better.
The Phantom 4 camera has been improved in terms of image quality ...

Interesting .. but the FOV how is reconfigured ? Optically or digitally ?
2016-3-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dobova Posted at 2016-3-12 00:59
Interesting .. but the FOV how is reconfigured ? Optically or digitally ?

There is a new lens with 8 elements.Here's a video.

2016-3-11
Use props
Derek Spear
lvl.1

United States

Interesting.  I have an aerial project coming up next month and was debating whether to use the Inspire 1 or the Phantom 4.  I guess with the image quality being better on the P4...the only determining factor at this point would be how strong the wind is on the day of the shoot...as I typically prefer the better handling characteristics of the Inspire 1 due to its size.
2016-3-11
Use props
iherzog97
lvl.2

Brazil

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-11 14:08
There is a new lens with 8 elements.Here's a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJPSSqMQajA

Can we use the P3P camera filters on the P4 camera?
2016-3-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

iherzog97 Posted at 2016-3-12 01:35
Can we use the P3P camera filters on the P4 camera?

Yes you can, I have DJI and Polar Pro filters and they fit perfect on the P4
2016-3-11
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-11 11:44
Yes you can, I have DJI and Polar Pro filters and they fit perfect on the P4

So seriously question to the DJI folks who had a chance to use the phantom 4.
What did you think about the tracking features?

Was wondering about doing my ATV riding.
How sharp of turns can the tracking handle (degree wise)?
Say, the bird would be up at about 196 feet (60 meters) and going about 20 mph (32 kph).
If what would be the sharpest turn someone might be able to do without having to look back to see if the Phantom 4 is still tracking?

I seen folks walking and running and taking a sharp 90 degree turn and it loses tracking, but many are flying very low, so that really doesnt help much and the high altitude ones they are normally in a straight line.

2016-3-11
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7224 ft
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2016-3-10 23:39
That's awesome! But where do I get my DJI Go APP that will support the one I have.  This sucks to be ...

That's what you get for getting an Apple store to sell you one before the release date
2016-3-11
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7224 ft
United States

wellingtonsique Posted at 2016-3-11 07:24
So, as seen, the lack of sensors around and behind the craft makes it vulnerable to collision by sid ...

Seriously? Weak points? This is the first drone to have ANY type of collision avoidance and you are listing weak points and vulnerabilities? Compared to every other drone currently available, this is miles ahead in automatic safety features. Imagine the processing power needed to look in 360 degrees (plus vertical), build a 3d image of the world and then decide if you are moving in that particular direction and whether you need to alter your course. Then imagine fitting all those cameras (8 additional cameras) and the processing power needed to  run them into a phantom sized chassis. Weight and cost become large limiting factors.

The avoidance is disabled in sport mode because the forward facing point cloud cameras have a +/- 15* vertical view. Sport mode can tilt 45* so the cameras will be looking at the ground making them useless. And its SPORT mode, you should be watching where its going anyhow at that speed. As you said safety is necessary anytime you fly, keep your eyes on your drone and keep it in LOS in sport mode and you shouldn't fly into things. If you feel that sport mode isn't safe for you to fly in, then don't use it.
2016-3-11
Use props
Zigman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2791296 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Tim, just received a text fromApple, mine will be delivered on Tuesday 3/15/2016, just ordered it on the 8th.
2016-3-11
Use props
simonst
New

Canada

Thanks Tim!
But were you the one who won the 20-days trial?
2016-3-11
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

http://forum1.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/201603/10/194121ms...

THIS WAS AWESOME!

Thanks TIm.  Next best thing to having the app.

Actually it's raining all day today.
Also, I just want to say, I appreciate that nail!  What a beauty!

2016-3-11
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules