Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A SPORTS MODE FOR THE INSPIRE..
5377 34 2016-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skycam
Second Officer

Australia

With the Phantom 4 having a sports mode.... it would be great if the same mode was made availble to the Inspire...
Not having the ability to track and keep up with fast moving subjects,  in some cases is holding the Inspire back....
This mode would greatly inhance the overal ability of the Inspire and its performance.... i for one would love it....
2016-3-10
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

please do some research before asking silly questions. Just SOME Sports mode lets the phantom go up to 20 meters/s(45 mph)
The inspire already flies at a max speed of 22mps(50mph)
Asking for sports mode on the inspire would be a DOWNGRADE
2016-3-10
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

yes, actually inspire basically already faster then phantom 4 in sport mode
2016-3-10
Use props
skycam
Second Officer

Australia

Yep... i understand that....(i did do some research Michael M)... i was not refering to the mode as such ,as the increase in performance...
is the Inspire capable of going faster..? ..... i think it is...
It was just a thought of having the ability to switch to a higher performance mode... would come in handy sometimes ...

2016-3-11
Use props
Skylinewg
lvl.1

United States

skycam Posted at 2016-3-11 17:16
Yep... i understand that....(i did do some research Michael M)... i was not refering to the mode as  ...

At your own risk fly in atti mode and you'll go faster...especially with a tailwind. 65+ mph is not unrealistic. However again you are in total control of the aircraft in atti mode and you don't have the gps functionality to bail you out. Admittedly this is a crude explanation lacking detail.
2016-3-11
Use props
skycam
Second Officer

Australia

Skylinewg Posted at 2016-3-11 17:54
At your own risk fly in atti mode and you'll go faster...especially with a tailwind. 65+ mph is no ...

Skylinewg....I fly in atti mode a lot ... i am talking about future FW updates that can unlock the full power of the inspire... as a high performance mode
just wishful thinking ....
2016-3-11
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.3

United States

skycam Posted at 2016-3-11 02:16
Yep... i understand that....(i did do some research Michael M)... i was not refering to the mode as  ...

I agree.  We KNOW the Inspire can go ALOT faster and the motors can handle it. When shooting rally cars and other fast subjects, the Inspire should be able to haul ass.  If I want to sign something and/or use a whole battery and take my chances why  shouldn't I have the ability to initiate basically an Insane mode like on my friends Tesla S.  I mean that's like saying if you get a new car they're going to Limit your horse power so you get better gas mileage.  It doesn't make any sense.  If isport mode was on the Inspire, I'd be really curious to see what it's capable of without any restrictions on the propulsion system while still operating within the parameters of the crafts physical boundaries.
Just sayin... ;)
2016-3-14
Use props
skycam
Second Officer

Australia

I1ADDICT Posted at 2016-3-14 16:15
I agree.  We KNOW the Inspire can go ALOT faster and the motors can handle it. When shooting rally  ...

I am with you  I1ADDICT.... having a high performance mode on the Inspire would take it to another level.. i sure as hell could use it.... it would make a great UAV even greater....( nothing could come near it )... speed is needed in this industry ...  as pilots skills advance, so will their need for speed...
2016-3-14
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sport mode for inspire? I had mine going 68 mph the other night go with the wind.
2016-3-14
Use props
skycam
Second Officer

Australia

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-15 04:33
Sport mode for inspire? I had mine going 68 mph the other night go with the wind.

The thing is R&L Aearial..... the subject you are trying to video does not always go with the wind... this is NOT about how fast you can go..... its about staying with and catching fast moving vehicles that you are videoing.. such as .. jet ski.... motor bikes... cars... boats... etc... the ability to do this would be very beneficial for the inspire and DJI...
2016-3-14
Use props
dopeytree
First Officer
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would also like this - I believe a firmware update downgraded the top speed to 16m/s??
2016-3-14
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

skycam Posted at 2016-3-14 17:15
The thing is R&L Aearial..... the subject you are trying to video does not always go with the wind ...

True, I think adding sports mode to the inspire would by fairly simple and straightforward to do. It's just a matter of making the inspire tip forward at 45 degrees like the phantom 4. Maybe adding a little weight to the front legs of the inspire might work, I'll have to try it tomorrow. If the inspire is in gps mode the motors will compensate for the weight in the front during normal flight. I'll let you know how it works.
2016-3-14
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

dopeytree Posted at 2016-3-15 05:22
I would also like this - I believe a firmware update downgraded the top speed to 16m/s??

23m/s yesterday on firmware v1.5 in atti
2016-3-14
Use props
Hterag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

Wasn't the original top speed of the Inspire 1 much higher than that in ATTI? I remember reading that it could get to 32m/s in ATTI mode and have seen videos on Youtube to confirm it, just look at any of the older videos doing speed tests. It wasn't uncommon to hit 80mph in the past and I think it used to be ok in GPS mode up to 25m/s.

What was the reason for the downgrade? Was it to comply with some law or other? I doubt it since many R/C planes and helicopters can easily hit much faster speeds, I'm not even sure if there is a speed limit in the air... Was it because the power draw on the battery was sometimes too much? Was it related to the X5 camera? That's about when the speed changed, just before/as the X5 launched.

I can understand wanting to limit the speed with the extra weight because the extra weight plus extra speed may well have been more than the batteries were designed for but why have that same limit when using the X3 camera? I guess people would see it as a disadvantage to getting the X5 if you had that speed limit while using it but not with the X3...
2016-3-15
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Australia

They said nothing and just made the change in firmware.
Prior to v1.3 speeds in ATTI were much higher.

DJI makes changes that affect us like this all the time.
My inspire flies like a pig now compared to how it flew back then.
2016-3-16
Use props
skycam
Second Officer

Australia

DJI please give the inspire its speed and exceleration back...
I appreciate that it is a fantastic camera platform ... but it is also a high performance machine .... not to utilize this performance is a step backwards ...
There are many pilots wanting that speed and exceleration ... i use to be able to catch and pass jet ski riders, now i find it hard to stay with them...
The inspire is capable of being in a league of its own when it comes to speed......   
2016-3-21
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

Yeah it a real shame.......I use Autopilot to overcome the issues.
Between Go , Litchi , and Autopilot I can do what I have to do.....just a shame its not all in the Go App.
2016-3-21
Use props
njabinc
lvl.3

United States

Harb Posted at 2016-3-21 20:31
Between Go , Litchi , and Autopil ...

I firmly believe that one who is able to spend 5K on a flying camera should be able to weigh the risks involved with downloading a firmware that DJI lists "at your own risk no warranty if in use". This is an incredibly simple way for them to allow those who wish to fully use the performance designed and built into the Inspire 1. I honestly don't comprehend the ignorance from a company who has engineered some awesome platforms and interfaces that are dominating the industry in every category except customer satisfaction. Someone in DJI needs to give the idea a little thought as they would be writing themselves a hall pass for everything from operator error to equipment failure while granting those who are gradually eroding customer confidence with complaints exactly what they want. The privilege to use what they paid for exactly how they wish. I guarantee they sell more birds and more repair service all while the loudest detractors are singing their praises and footing the bill.
2016-3-21
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

I think its more involved......I know everything is "since 911" but I think what DJI has produced here is a very very attainable Weapon if in the right hands and was left as it first was delivered.
You can imagine what would be possible with a device like this if someone wanted to do something sinister with it.
If I were a betting man, I would put money on DJI trying to make this more accepted in society by dumbing it down somewhat.........you can still get it to do things if you use 3rd party software, but at that point its nothing to do with DJI.
You can imaging DJI's position if they found there drone products banned from sale.....it would fold them.
I can see the logic in making a very very capable product, however to get the most out of it, you have to go elsewhere to get the software to do it........it clears them of wrong doing......pretty smart in my book.
2016-3-21
Use props
skycam
Second Officer

Australia

Harb Posted at 2016-3-22 08:31
Between Go , Litchi , and Autopil ...

Hi Harb... can this app increase the performance of the inspire ?
2016-3-22
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

skycam Posted at 2016-3-22 19:20
Hi Harb... can this app increase the performance of the inspire ?

Yeah Autopilot extends the limits , like more speed, pre programmed way point flying , etc etc
Its a good program and I use it a lot.....
Its certainly worth a try for sure.....just a quick download on the app store.
and there are heaps of tutorial video's on YouTube for anything you need to find out.
Speed and the ability to program flight plans off Google earth where my main things, and it does them both very very well
Litchi is great for simplicity of operation.........not quiet as good as AutoPilot, but better than DJI Go for auto flight modes
2016-3-22
Use props
skycam
Second Officer

Australia

Harb Posted at 2016-3-22 16:29
Yeah Autopilot extends the limits , like more speed, pre programmed way point flying , etc etc
Its  ...

Thanks Harb.... my only interest is the increase in speed and exceleration.... i have video's to do that speed and exceleration are a must... the inspire sure feels more docile now ....

its like having a thoroughbred race horse and hobbling it ...

i hope DJI make a high performance mode available for the inspire..
This drop in performance is the reason why a lot of pilots are staying with old FW...and that cant be good.
2016-3-22
Use props
Hterag
Second Officer
China

Harb Posted at 2016-3-22 16:29
Its  ...

So, autopilot lets you fly faster than 22m/s?
2016-3-22
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

DJI Go only does 22m/s in Atti Mode
Its takes all of them to get the full set of things I need..... AutoPilot lets me pre plan flights before I get out into the field and fly faster in GPS Mode, Litchi is super easy to use, but is not as fast etc...but its very very east to plan flights using your desktop and saving it to the cloud, then it becomes available on all you devices....etc
Autopilot is prob the best all round , with a lot of useful stuff, but its just a little more complicated to use.....not much though....its a very good system.
2016-3-22
Use props
njabinc
lvl.3

United States

Harb Posted at 2016-3-22 07:07
DJI Go only does 22m/s in Atti Mode
Its takes all of them to get the full set of things I need.....  ...

So if I began to utilize Autopilot I could experience the performance that was built into the early Inspire 1 prior to the firmware noose. If so do these programs function if the aircraft firmware isn't fully up to date? Both my PRO's are in the enviable position of having the the second feature rich PRO update (11-24-15) without having the later attempts to improve the X5 which have degraded the image horribly or provide the privilege of wondering when the battery will shut off and 5K will become a stone glider.
2016-3-22
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

They will work on YOUR current firmware as far as I am aware not the latest nothing has changed for me when I updated the firmware, and sometimes I stayed on the older firmware for ages before changing.........and it will overcome the limitations put in place by the DJI GO app...... so you will get speed increases etc.......weather it goes as good as the original inspire I can't remember that far back, but someone on here will know.
All I know is I had to follow and object that was traveling at 65km's per hour in Waypoint mode, and the GO app wouldn't come close.......the AutoPilot app let me overtake it !
2016-3-23
Use props
Hterag
Second Officer
China

Harb Posted at 2016-3-23 16:32
They will work on YOUR current firmware as far as I am aware not the latest nothing has changed for  ...

How did you follow something in waypoint mode? Also, are you saying that the extra speed is when in waypoint mode? I mean, does Autopilot allow faster speeds between waypoints? What speed can you get to normally (when not following waypoints)?

Can it go above 22m/s (79.2kph)? That's what I really want to know and I may even use an iPad (I tend to avoid Apple products) if that's what it takes.
2016-3-23
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

Yes I was in waypoint mode....the job involved flying between 90 foot light poles, around 60 of them at an altitude of around 40 feet in an oval pattern.......fly path was about 1 mile around at 65kph, so I wasn't game to do it manually so it was waypoint to waypoint.
I will however go out and try the maximum speed in all modes for you this weekend and report back.
2016-3-23
Use props
Hterag
Second Officer
China

Harb Posted at 2016-3-23 23:48
Yes I was in waypoint mode....the job involved flying between 90 foot light poles, around 60 of them ...

Wow, that sounds like a really interesting job. Thanks for testing the speed, I look forward to your results.
2016-3-23
Use props
skycam
Second Officer

Australia

Harb Posted at 2016-3-23 23:48
Yes I was in waypoint mode....the job involved flying between 90 foot light poles, around 60 of them ...

Good on you Harb... i am looking forward to seeing the results also...
2016-3-23
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Harb Posted at 2016-3-23 08:48

Thanks Harb, I use AutoFlight Logic too.... but I thought they had some bugs with the new firmware right now. Did I miss an update. I am running the beta version 3.3 right now.

Rich
2016-3-23
Use props
CloudChaserCT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8031880 ft

My 2 Cents on this topic - Im actually very disappointed in these Newer FW releases. Last year with FW 1.5 i think which was in August or September, on a calm day, No Wind at all, in GPS Mode i was able to Record a Top Speed of 68 mph, while traveling North, or South, East or West, didn't matter i could fly at very high speeds with the Inspire 1.

Now with the New FW's rolling out even on a warm day, i can just hardly hit 45 mph if I'm lucky, you can seriously tell the difference when its goes by over your head, seems like its hardly moving, though as i said last year with the older FW it would actually sound like it was roaring past you, Yes the flight times were shorter only by a few minutes, but on some days it was just fun to have a good time.

Never had any damage to my TB48 Batteries. I personally spent all the money on my Inspire 1, Inspire 1 V2.0, Inspire Pro, Phantom 3 Advanced, and Pro. Was going to get the Phantom 4, but whats the point, we keep losing our choices as to what we can and cant do with them. I don't care about any warranty, if i see my Battery getting ruined thats my own fault, but having the New FW Throttle our expensive machines down is just wrong. Other Company's don't release FW that throttles your top speed down in anyway, only stability upgrades and even more options like if you throttle down the top speed give us the option to turn it off. Follow me mode would be so much better if it could still keep up.

Its like buying a sports car and having someone come to your house a week after you were doing 150mph on the highway, reprogram your high HP motor to only go a top speed of 70mph. If that was the case i would be very mad knowing i spent all that money on a car, that could and did go fast, but now can hardly keep up with others on the highway..  Thats why theres an accelerator pedal, you can vary you speed just like we can with the Remotes sticks. Please let us enjoy our machines as we see fit. Just make it an Option thats enabled by default to throttle back the speed but with the ability to switch it off in motion so we can crank around for fun and whatnot.

Thank you If you red this an agree..........
2016-4-15
Use props
Hterag
Second Officer
China

CloudChaserCT Posted at 2016-4-16 15:59
My 2 Cents on this topic - Im actually very disappointed in these Newer FW releases. Last year with  ...

I agree with the idea of it being optional, this whole thread was basically to try and get the option to go at the previous speeds back.
2016-4-16
Use props
fans9a20eaa3
lvl.1

Hey guys I'm new here to this blog.  I find it interesting on how many people have the need for speed when it comes to the inspire v.1, I have the v.2  and all I did to get more speed change the props and switch  to a old firmware that has the bird going faster.  But, if that isn't enough for you guys...maybe break the bank and drop a load of cash for the inspire 2 pro?!
2018-5-23
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Australia

fans9a20eaa3 Posted at 2018-5-23 08:21
Hey guys I'm new here to this blog.  I find it interesting on how many people have the need for speed when it comes to the inspire v.1, I have the v.2  and all I did to get more speed change the props and switch  to a old firmware that has the bird going faster.  But, if that isn't enough for you guys...maybe break the bank and drop a load of cash for the inspire 2 pro?!

Dude, why drag a thread back from the dead?
Last response to this thread was over a year ago.
2018-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules