Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI can you build a better product?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

I have bought my P3P on 12/29/15 and have flown it about 10-11 times so far. About 2 weeks ago I have noticed that the RC when held it has a cracking sound and it feels like is not closed completly, when sqweesed on the right side the shell has a feeling gap. Also there is something rattling and moving inside. Knowing that the RC was never dropped or placed in places that could have something get inside, and fearing something could be loose inside the RC that could cause to loose the drone, I have decided to open the RC after viewing a lot of tutorials how to do it.
What I found inside had me disapointed again in DJI QC and their way of building the drone kit. So, in this light, can you DJI improve the way you build the plastic components? Things that could be done to eliminate future problems like this.
- insert a metal threaded post inbeded in the plastic and not use the self tapping wood screws like now or,
- after molding the shell, tap the plastic post where the screw goes in to avoid cracking the post, or
- use M3 screws that have less bitting threads to avoid cracking the post.
Below are attached photos showing the manufacturing defects that DJI is selling to us. It would be nice if DJI would take ownership of the problem and replace the RC like any other  respectable company would do but from past experience we can not expect that from DJI.
Pictures here:  http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... tter-product.70989/

2016-3-11
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Dacon,

Do you have any idea how many P3s are manufactured every month.  I have no idea, but I am sure there are hundreds of thousands.  It is also highly probable that of those hundreds of thousands, many do not get past the inspectors at the DJI plants.  We have seen photos of the discard piles.

Now, I am also sure that some very inferior P3s do make it past the inspectors.  You appear to have gotten a very inferior P3P remote control.  My P3P, and controller, have none of the problems you indicate.  It flies extremely well and is well worth the amount of money I spent to acquire it.

Unfortunately, you have not indicated what efforts you have made to get DJI to resolve your receipt of an inferior product.  Many others have complained of that process, but that is not your complaint in this post.  Please post what efforts you have made to get DJI to resolve your problem.  Maybe then we will be able to help you get your problem resolved.  Photos are not enough.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am sorry if you had an issue with the RC, it is under warranty and any manufacture defect will be corrected. Please call the support center and they will start an RMA.
Although, I do not work in the customer service or repair department, I do not know what they will say to you opening up the radio.
2016-3-11
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

Thank you Ken for your support, but I guess DJI will reject any involvement since the radio has been opened and the screw posts have been tapped for longer screws to keep the shell closed. The drone flies well and no complaint there, decided to open the radio to avoid a crash just in case. Also did not want to be grounded for a long time till DJI decides what to do.
If DJI feels responsible for the manufacturing defect (I am sure there are many other RC in the same condition), the normal process would be for them to send me a new radio and will send back this one for them to take apart, inspect, diagnose, learn from mistakes and improve the process in the new series.
To be honest, without replacement, what is DJI going to do? cut the bad posts and glue new ones in place? replace the RC shell but keep all the electronics inside and transfer them from one shell to the other one? Any of this process would be a waste of time on DJI part and invite other possible problems. And since I do not expect DJI to replace the radio, well I got a bum product and have to live with it. You can prove me wrong and surprise me with a new radio...
2016-3-11
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-11 19:13
I am sorry if you had an issue with the RC, it is under warranty and any manufacture defect will be  ...

Aloha Ken,

Mahalo for helping Dacon.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-12
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I had exactly the same thing happen to me.  I was more concerned that the rattling was a loose metal screw and may have caused a lithium battery fire, so I opened the unit. Saw that it was just plastic pieces from the post.  Annoyed, but I considered it a simple fix, I repaired it with a plastic repair kit used for repairing motorcycle fairings (Plastex).  The pieces had already got stuck under components inside and did damage already unfortunately.  Tried to get a RMA to send it for repair/replacement but was refused because "I have already opened it", apparently that beats wanting to prevent a fire, or makes a manufacturing defect null and void.  Was told I would have to send it back at my expense just to have it assessed and pay for repairs or a replacement.  I ended up buying another one on eBay from a RC spare parts scrapping company in the USA for a couple of hundred dollars seeing as I could not buy internal spare parts to repair it.  We have really crappy warranty support in Australia compared to the US!
2016-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules