Phantom 3 standard - System Error and motors won't start?!
23721 33 2016-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

Today I made my first shooting and everything was fine  - I just learn to drive this thing and shoot and I got 4 fantastic shots and went for lunch. After Lunch, I went to location for 3 real shots I needed, and suddenly, DJI GO app gives me "System error" mesage and motors won't start!?! I recalibrate compass, sensors, I even re-linked RC - nothing hepls! I manage to get motor running only when I removed blades but after few attempts, even that stopped and "System error" costantly appears in DJI GO. I can move camera with small wheel on RC - that works - but motors won't start no mather what and System Error stays (and in the same time, app says "ready to fly").
Any ideas what might be because I can't find any plausible explanation and solutions on the net except to do all recalibrations and linkings I already done few times without positive result

I have Phantom 3 Standard.

2016-3-13
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

I have had that happen before to mine, motors would not start, I turned off the drone and RC/app several times and it finally started the motors.
Try turning on the drone, then RC, then the app.
2016-3-13
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Do you have good GPS signal ?  Are your Batteries Fully charged?  Does it say anything  else besides "System Error" Also did you do any updates at all?

-donnie

2016-3-13
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

I did that several  times... nothing helps
I even tried Android tablet istead iPhone - problem still persists motors won't start - with or without app - with System Error message when I have app active

2016-3-13
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Can you try the auto-takeoff as well, this may unlock the motors as well

Be sure to re- boot  everything as well, make sure you are in GPS mode.  

-donnie
2016-3-13
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-13 17:34
Do you have good GPS signal ?  Are your Batteries Fully charged?  Does it say anything h else beside ...

I did not do updates because everything worked before few hours with current version I have installed.
GPS is OK, Batteries complettely full on RC and drone. No other messages - everything is fine - only System error with red dot in app occurs - I can close that and everything is "ready to fly" (message on top) - like I had this morning when everything worked fine.
2016-3-13
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-13 17:42
Can you try the auto-takeoff as well, this may unlock the motors as well

Be sure to re- boot  every ...

I was in GPS mode and tried also auto taseoff 3-4 times without any luck. Nothing helped

Now I tried without app started (phone and tablet are turned off) - if I must be able to start it with RC only -  that does not work either...
2016-3-13
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

silver Posted at 2016-3-13 11:42
I did not do updates because everything worked before few hours with current version I have install ...

AFTER you re-linked did the motors run?  If not , you may not have re-linked correctly.  

There was not hard landing at the other site?  did you do a proper calibration of the Compass?

Important **Turn on Transmitter and aircraft.....what color are the lights under the aircraft?  flashing Red and Yellow ?  Flashing Red and Green   etc

snip p3s.PNG
2016-3-13
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

>AFTER you re-linked did the motors run?  If not , you may not have re-linked correctly.  

Re-linked 3 times. Motors still does not run. But I can move camera.

>There was not hard landing at the other site?  did you do a proper calibration of the Compass?

No hard landing - "supersoft" all times. Compass calibrated fine - no errors in app after calibrating.

>Important **Turn on Transmitter and aircraft.....what color are the lights under the aircraft?  flashing Red and Yellow ?  Flashing Red and Green   etc

After self disagnostic and warming up, all four lights are red. I noticed that during warming up, front lighs are red while back lights blinks... Loosk like there is some serious problem...
And RC still can move camera, but motors won't start, app says "System error" and "ready to flight"

2016-3-13
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

Do an IMU calibration.
2016-3-13
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

silver Posted at 2016-3-13 12:18
>AFTER you re-linked did the motors run?  If not , you may not have re-linked correctly.  

Re-linke ...

You are not in a NO Fly Zone are You?   Also, perhaps updating the Aircraft?, you will need a good wi-fi connection.  You might have to wait till Monday  and get a rep from DJI.  You also might want to make sure nothing is jammed in the Motors, make sure they spin freely by hand .   I wish I could help more, I fly a Phantom Pro and Inspire 1,   that is a different setup, did not want your questioned un-answered.

Let it set for a good half hour, dont touch it.  shut everything down.  Then check again.
Then do a full IMU Calibration as well.  I looked at other forums and it said this may help.  Cant hurt ! Make sure surface is 100% flat do it indoors as well.

good Luck -Donnie
2016-3-13
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

>Do an IMU calibration.
Already done. 2 times (as I said in first post). Didn't help

>You are not in a NO Fly Zone are You?   

No. In the morning everything was fine. Afternoon, problem started. Also, I am now at home and still does not work.

>Also, perhaps updating the Aircraft?, you will need a good wi-fi connection.  You might have to wait till Monday  and get a rep from DJI.

Updates are option, but I rather not do them because everthing was fine before few hours...
Will someone from DJI read this post? Would be great to get some reply from them about problem...

>You also might want to make sure nothing is jammed in the Motors, make sure they spin freely by hand .
That was first thing I did - because motors started when I took blades off but later not even that helped - I mamaneg to start them only once without blades... And they can be spiinned by hand without problem ((all 4 has the same "little pressure" when turning which is OK, I guess).

>   I wish I could help more, I fly a Phantom Pro and Inspire 1,   that is a different setup, did not want your questioned un-answered.
Many thanks! Your repies are very informative although I already tried everything  you suggested

>Let it set for a good half hour, dont touch it.  shut everything down.  Then check again

I  started this thread after I went home, left all  for an hour on room temperature and tried again with no luck... Then I posted... So, tried that and no luck

Could be some defect?

2016-3-13
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United States

HI From membory I had this "System Error" message two weeks ago.  Drone P3S  was dead too.  I think it was locked because DJI won't let you run  on out of date firmware. The update was for a Battery situation with cold weather. I'm running  Aircraft Ver 1-3-50 and App 2-61 firmware

Check what versions you have . You can see it in the "ABOUT" menu in DJIGO.

Hope this sorts your problem.

Regards-Michael
2016-3-13
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

>You are doing the "CSC" command to start the motors correct?  Both sticks down and in or out......
Yes.

>Just want to be sure .  Also do the IMU calibration !
Already done twice on location when problem started.

>HI From membory I had this "System Error" message two weeks ago.  Drone P3S  was dead too.  I think it was locked because DJI
> won't let you run  on out of date firmware. The update was for a Battery situation with cold weather. I'm running  Aircraft Ver 1-3-50 and
> App 2-61 firmware. Check what versions you have . You can see it in the "ABOUT" menu in DJIGO.

App is 2.61
Drone FW is 1.0.17

It is very possible that DJI GO somehow locked everything because this is too low version and since I started it, it keeps forcing me to update to 1.3.50... Only question is why it worked in the morning...
2016-3-13
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

silver Posted at 2016-3-13 12:58
>Do an IMU calibration.
Already done. 2 times (as I said in first post). Didn't help

Sorry you are getting asked a million questions and some need clarification, Like IMU you said "sensor", (First Post) but lets not split Hairs.  This is a community Forum and Sometimes DJI reps chime in,  Keep in Mind it is Sunday in the  States and Most folks are doing other things.  I once went through a long process only to find out the Battery was not being properly turned on.  So sometimes the mundane questions must be covered.

Yes it could be a defect, not sure, some items can be fixed others need to go in for service.  With the 4 red lights you may have a serious problem. on the Phanto You may have to update, I do know my Pro and Advance you can fly with old firmware. BUT I was once locked out for not doing one of them. ( Cant remember it was from an auto Update) So that may be the case, update your equipment and see.  That is what DJI is going to tell you also I bet.  

(***Try another battery if you have one") cant hurt....
If you do get it running please post what fixed it to help others in the future.

Good Luck - donnie
2016-3-13
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

>Sorry you are getting asked a million questions and some need clarification, Like IMU you said "sensor", (First Post) but lets not split Hairs.
>This is a community Forum and Sometimes DJI reps chime in,  Keep in Mind it is Sunday in the  States and Most folks are doing other things.
>I once went through a long process only to find out the Battery was not being properly turned on.  So sometimes the mundane questions must be covered.

I appologize if my reply sound rude.... It was not my intention.

>Yes it could be a defect, not sure, some items can be fixed others need to go in for service.  With the 4 red lights you may have a serious problem.
>You may wish to try and update, I do know on the Phantom Pro and Advance you can fly with old firmware. BUT I was once locked out for not doing one of them.
> ( Cant remember it was from an auto Update) So that may be the case, update your equipment and see.  That is what DJI is going to tell you also I bet.

Yes - I think that "update lock" or whatever simmilar thing might be the reason for this (actually, I hope it is)... I will definitelly try to update and see if it helps. If not, I hope warranty will cover this error after firmware update...

>If you do get it running please post what fixed it to help others in the future.

No problem - I'll report results.
2016-3-13
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Could you please provide a screenshot of the error and the IMU info page?
2016-3-13
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

App is 2.61
Drone FW is 1.0.17
I still did not update - this is problem that occured yesterday afternoon on above version of FW. I unpacked brand new drone, flight it yesterday in the morning without problem and with some update firmware warnings that occured sporaddically but not agrresively like on these pictures (I just closed them and kept flying), and yesterday afternoon I went to make some more shots and error occured immediatelly when I turned everything on and nothing helps - compass calibration, IMU calibration, RC-drone synching... nothing The only thing that I did not do yet is update - and DJI GO sas that I need to update drone, battery and camera.

Now to the error: after drone finish self check and warm up, at the end all four lights are red. With RC I can move camera but can't turn motors on. When I try to turn motors, I get Aircraft Status Indicator Light System Error with warning to update (pic1 - error with warning, pic2 - error when I close warning). What I see is that I have 6 GPS available, GPS turned on on RC, RC is green, but on PIC2 (after I close warning), it shows P-Atti mode... Strange. But can be due to fact that drone does not work so it does not show propper mode.

PIC1:

PIC2:

Here are IMU (sensors):

Sorry for using "postimage" to upload images - I can't upload IMGs as attachments (I think it is due to version of Firefox I use), and currently I don't have time to find any better image hosting/upgrade browser...
2016-3-14
Use props
Mikencs
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Make sure the battery firmware is the latest. If you have a second battery - try that. I now have a p3p but I had a p2v+ some 15 months ago with 2 batteries one of which, eventually was found to have an intermittent fault which resulted in all things working but the at times motors would not start. It took a lot of time to convince my suppliers that it was the battery at fault. The new battery solved the problem.
2016-3-14
Use props
Fermin
lvl.2

Spain

Are you loged in the DJI go aplication?
2016-3-14
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

A few suggestions as others also will have.
These are just my pre flight checks
Turn off the controller and your bird.
Take out the battery for at least 1 full minute.
Close out all apps on your tablet/phone.

Turn on the controller, followed by the checking the WiFi is connected.
Start up the DJI Go app and turn up the volume.
Turn on your bird then click onto the camera button on the DJI Go app.
Calibrate.
Check your S1 & S2 switches, and your main stick controls.
Wait till you get at least 6 GPS bar and the home point is set.
2016-3-14
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

silver Posted at 2016-3-14 11:15
App is 2.61
Drone FW is 1.0.17
I still did not update - this is problem that occured yesterday after ...

Just do the update and I bet it will solve the problem.  It did not say Update "Available" It says Update "Required".  I flew mine for at least  a week and then I was "Required to Update" because my Go App updated.  ( Motors would not start as well ).   You may have had a case of your "Device "  did an automatic update to the "Go App"and did not take effect Until you re-booted at the second site to fly affecting you aircraft .  You will not face any consequences if you have to return it and you did the update.
And You left out in your first post that you had the "Required Update Warning" That  kind of makes a difference............................ That would have made a HUGE difference on how I  and others  advised on this. You even said  after I and others asked,   " NO OTHER MESSAGES .......EVERYTHING ELSE IS FINE" You need to Paint  a complete picture.  I know you said it was working earlier, but all things that break "Worked Earlier."   You said "System Error" was the only warning.

Just do the  Update please  Silver- donnie
2016-3-14
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

Yesterday I did not have "Required update" warning -  I just had "Update available" message here and there (actually, only on main screen in the morning and once when open settings), and in second fly attempt yesterday afternoon, message was more often shown but still "Update available" (occured in top status bar occasionaly, but with mainly "Ready to fly GPS" message and motors won't start). These "Required" messages occured today and occurs now constantly - and there is no more "Ready to fly" message! But I must admit that I thought it is practically the same level of problem - but looks like definitelly  some automatic process were started and today it prompts "Required" because it didn't finish it.

So, I will definitelly update now everything it need to be updated (and it says camera, drone and battery - yesterday during "incident" it did not said anything about required updates - just "Updates available"...). Can I do it through DJI GO or it is more recommended to download updates to SD or USB (if that is somehow possible with Phantom 3 standard)? Also, if some auto-update was already started yesterday and it was abruptly stopped when I turned all off and went to lunch, will I be able to update again (I mean, usually when you do firmware updates on other devices and updates fails, devices are usually "gone forever" - I hope this is not the case).

And many thanks for all of you - your tips and help are much appreciated! Thank you!
2016-3-14
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

silver Posted at 2016-3-15 00:15
App is 2.61
Drone FW is 1.0.17
I still did not update - this is problem that occured yesterday after ...

Please update to the latest firmware, your firmware version is too old for the current app. That's why it disable the take off. There should be no problem if you upgrade the aircraft and the remote.
2016-3-15
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

Later afternoon I'll upgrade (I am currently at work) and inform about result.

Just one question more - application want to upgrade drone, camera and battery - it does not say that remote controller need update and does not offer update of RC - can you give me some help how to update RC?
2016-3-15
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-15 05:14
Please update to the latest firmware, your firmware version is too old for the current app. That's ...

+1.
My Pro 3 did the same thing out of the box.
Two flights, then I had the "system error and had to update the FW.
I did the the update & I was back in the air....

You "should" be good witth RC FW..
2016-3-15
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

Update solved problem! Newest firmware updated throught DJI GO. After that, RC re-linked, compass reclibrated. IMU report as OK so I did not do IMU calibration. It flies again!

Thank you all for help!
2016-3-15
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

silver Posted at 2016-3-15 15:00
Update solved problem! Newest firmware updated throught DJI GO. After that, RC re-linked, compass re ...

Silver, glad you have it up and running, have fun and fly safe !

All the best to you and yours- donnie
2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

silver Posted at 2016-3-16 04:00
Update solved problem! Newest firmware updated throught DJI GO. After that, RC re-linked, compass re ...

Great to hear that, enjoy your flight!
2016-3-15
Use props
silver
lvl.1

Croatia

Thanks!   
2016-3-16
Use props
thunderbyrd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 241188 ft
United States

snowsurferss Posted at 2016-3-13 08:33
I have had that happen before to mine, motors would not start, I turned off the drone and RC/app several times and it finally started the motors.
Try turning on the drone, then RC, then the app.

My problem wasn't an issue with the firmware.  My motors wouldn't start even though everything else seemed to be working.  This is how I fixed my Phantom 3 Standard by turning on the remote and the aircraft.  Connect to the aircraft's wifi and launch the DJI Go app.  Go to Remote Controller Settings.  Go to the bottom of the screen and choose the "Linking RC" option (it's in blue).  A window pops up and says "searching for aircraft-Press the linking button on your aircraft to link this RC" The RC will beep. Turn the aircraft over and push the red button located near the landing gear and hold it down for a couple of seconds. A window pops up to say "Finished Linking" and click "OK".  This is one of two methods for linking the aircraft. This one worked for me.  If not you can Google DJI Phantom 3 Standard how to link the aircraft.  I think it's on DJI's website but I don't know where.  Hope this helps.
2017-12-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

thunderbyrd Posted at 2017-12-14 15:20
My problem wasn't an issue with the firmware.  My motors wouldn't start even though everything else seemed to be working.  This is how I fixed my Phantom 3 Standard by turning on the remote and the aircraft.  Connect to the aircraft's wifi and launch the DJI Go app.  Go to Remote Controller Settings.  Go to the bottom of the screen and choose the "Linking RC" option (it's in blue).  A window pops up and says "searching for aircraft-Press the linking button on your aircraft to link this RC" The RC will beep. Turn the aircraft over and push the red button located near the landing gear and hold it down for a couple of seconds. A window pops up to say "Finished Linking" and click "OK".  This is one of two methods for linking the aircraft. This one worked for me.  If not you can Google DJI Phantom 3 Standard how to link the aircraft.  I think it's on DJI's website but I don't know where.  Hope this helps.

You are replying to a thread that is 21 months old.
2017-12-14
Use props
fans6723d3c4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1434 ft
United Kingdom

thunderbyrd Posted at 2017-12-14 15:20
My problem wasn't an issue with the firmware.  My motors wouldn't start even though everything else seemed to be working.  This is how I fixed my Phantom 3 Standard by turning on the remote and the aircraft.  Connect to the aircraft's wifi and launch the DJI Go app.  Go to Remote Controller Settings.  Go to the bottom of the screen and choose the "Linking RC" option (it's in blue).  A window pops up and says "searching for aircraft-Press the linking button on your aircraft to link this RC" The RC will beep. Turn the aircraft over and push the red button located near the landing gear and hold it down for a couple of seconds. A window pops up to say "Finished Linking" and click "OK".  This is one of two methods for linking the aircraft. This one worked for me.  If not you can Google DJI Phantom 3 Standard how to link the aircraft.  I think it's on DJI's website but I don't know where.  Hope this helps.

I have same problem have you sorted your as yet if you if you have please could you tell me how you did it cos I am getting fed up now
2019-7-14
Use props
djiuser_wwFJejf7MskR
lvl.1

United States

silver Posted at 2016-3-15 12:00
Update solved problem! Newest firmware updated throught DJI GO. After that, RC re-linked, compass reclibrated. IMU report as OK so I did not do IMU calibration. It flies again!

Thank you all for help!

I'm running into the same problem with a Phantom 3 I just bought from someone. My question is, if it says, "firmware update available or even required", what the hell is the big deal in updating it right then?Why go through all this communication and wasting time let alone everyone else time who said to update it only to prove to yourself that an update was required to begin with?
I believe in updates cause a lot of the times it's for the best either for the operation of the equipment or a requirement. Don't question why your bird isn't flying until you have done everything you can do. Then and only then start asking why..

Sorry, just my 2 cents... It was irritating reading all this only to find it was an update issue where people responded saying to update it. But to hear, "It worked 2 hours before!" was like hearing my 6 year old ask why her video game pad isn't working. And I told her it needs new batteries." But it worked 2 seconds ago!"

Kudos, to all you guys who answered and helped!
2020-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules