How to Notify Airport
5559 18 2016-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dking3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8035 ft
United States

I registered my P3A, and want to obey the FAA regulations.  I'm in Fort Pierce, FL, USA, and have tried to notify the right people at local Heliports and Airports, of my intention to fly within 5 miles of their tower.  2 different days I spent hours on the phone, only to be passed around.  No one knows who should be notified, in fact, often they'll just say something like, "you can't fly your drone over our xxxx."  And when I try to explain that I just need to notify them, they pass me to someone else.  I finally was told by a local airport official to talk to the FAA, in Fort Lauderdale, and by that time, that office had closed for the day.  Suggestions?   Thanks.

2016-3-14
Use props
Dan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 408054 ft
United States

You are doing the right thing.  Just keep a log that you contacted them.
2016-3-14
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dan@elams.org Posted at 2016-3-15 06:14
You are doing the right thing.  Just keep a log that you contacted them.

You can supplement this with the FAA mobile device app called B4UFLY App available for both iOS from the Apple App Store and Android from the Google Play Store.

This app points out all of the facilities you need to call. BUT you need this link:
https://nfdc.faa.gov/nfdcApps/services/airportLookup/airportDisplay.jsp?airportId=<Airport ID>
where you replace the <Airport ID> with the Identifier shown in B4UFly. For example, the Heliport over at Lawnwood Medical Center is FD19. Browser to https://nfdc.faa.gov/nfdcApps/se ... .jsp?airportId=FD19 and click on the CONTACT link and you'll find The Manager's name, address and phone. Under Operations, it will tell you if there is a tower....

Good luck and Fly Safe!!!
2016-3-14
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-3-14 15:31
You can supplement this with the FAA mobile device app called B4UFLY App available for both iOS fr ...
Thanks, very much, TerryLewis, that looks exactly like what we need.  I'll call the "contact" in Fort Pierce, and book mark this for future reference.  Other than your post, I don't know how to get the word out on this.  

BTW, I do use B4UFLY, they need a link to this in the app.
2016-3-14
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dking3 Posted at 2016-3-15 07:02
Thanks, very much, TerryLewis, that looks exactly like what we need.  I'll call the "contact" in For ...

I suggested this back to the FAA in feedback for the 2.06 Android beta, to link the Airport ID back to NFDC. Time will tell if it's incorporated. Until then, I just bookmark the link and change the Airport ID as needed.

And like Dan says, I log all of my calls!
2016-3-14
Use props
tmygun1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

It can be done so just hang in there.  
I contacted a an airport manager in Indiana for a job (for a large national company that needed pre-construction photos, while the airport was within 1 1/2 miles of the airfield) and after the manager did an hours worth or research (they had never had a request like this), they said  keep it below XX feet and no closer then the boundary of the plant and everything worked out like clockwork.
Just have to find the right people......maybe the airport manager.
2016-3-14
Use props
tmygun1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

The airport manager has absolute authority....and the way I know is that the large national company that I was talking about in the previous post has to inform the airport manager when they are using their 2 construction cranes that can elevate up to 200 feet.  The airport manager has the authority to issue temporary NOTAM's (Notice To Airmen) for this airport when the cranes are in use.
2016-3-14
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-14 16:49
dking3... The Only people that are allowed to authorize you flying within 5 miles of an airport, i ...

That's not what B4UFLY says.  It clearly states that I must "... notify the airport operator and Air Traffic Control Tower...," and there's no mention of anyone having to approve the flight.  Where did you hear the FAA has to approve?
2016-3-14
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-14 18:03
Who is restricting the flights?  The FAA.  
Who's making the rules that you can't fly < 5 miles fr ...

Thanks for trying to help, Flyin'Bryan.  But your quote tell me, that as a hobbyist, I don't have to get the FAA's permission.  Right?  I don't see where the FAA says I can't fly within 5 miles of an airport, I just need to advise them that I plan to.  Your interpretation is must more restrictive than what I think I'm seeing in the B4YFLY app, and it was released by the FAA.  

I appreciate your help, but this is ridiculous, to be restricted to such a long distance (5 miles), when I'm also not allowed to fly over 400 feet.  I'm fine with keeping it that low, and within visual range, and keeping an eye out for other aircraft, and I wouldn't fly at all within a couple miles of an airport or heliport, no need to.  I think notifying them is plenty. if while doing that, they have some reasonable request, due to some abnormal situation, I'll be flexible.  
2016-3-14
Use props
dking3
lvl.2
United States

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-14 18:03

Thanks for trying to help, Flyin'Bryan.  But your quote tell me, that as a hobbyist, I don't have to get the FAA's permission.  Right?  I don't see where the FAA says I can't fly within 5 miles of an airport, I just need to advise them that I plan to.  Your interpretation is must more restrictive than what I think I'm seeing in the B4YFLY app, and it was released by the FAA.  

I appreciate your help, but this is ridiculous, to be restricted to such a long distance (5 miles), when I'm also not allowed to fly over 400 feet.  I'm fine with keeping it that low, and within visual range, and keeping an eye out for other aircraft, and I wouldn't fly at all within a couple miles of an airport or heliport, no need to.  I think notifying them is plenty. if while doing that, they have some reasonable request, due to some abnormal situation, I'll be flexible.  
2016-3-14
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-15 09:03

Your FAA quote refers to Section 333 Exemptions which DOES require specific FAA authorization, in writing.

The back of the FAA drone registration card for hobbyists reads:

Never fly within 5 miles of an airport without first contacting air traffic control and airport authorities.

This is not a disregard for common sense on the part of the drone pilot. The intent is knowledge, not prohibition. If air traffic control/tower/airport manager knows you are flying a drone in their airspace, they can pass traffic information to controlled aircraft to keep you separated and route traffic to avoid you if possible. And they can warn you if you are trying to fly in an area that impacts their operations or unknowingly would be unsafe.
2016-3-14
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-15 11:53
I"m sorry, but it says... ANY FLIGHT.... Out side of those parameters..  Including non-hobby...
It  ...

Sorry , but I interrupt your quote differently.  I understand it to say that statutory parameters for UAS (model aircraft) are outlined HERE in Section 336.
Next it says that folks that fly within that scope DO NOT require permission to operate their UAS.....
but if you operate OUTSIDE those parameters (including commercial/government (non-hobby, non-recreational operation)) then you need specific FAA authorization.

I live within the Washington DC SFRA and am very familiar with the FAA and their web site.
Here's what section 336 says are the parameters for model aircraft are and as long as you follow them, you need NO authorization:

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT. (a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community- based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).
2016-3-14
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United States

Hi dking3 I'm in Fort Pierce too. I wanted to fly my P3S near to Vero Munip airport to video the Old Ice Age excavation on Aviation Blvd . Contacting the control tower at Vero they told me I would need to fill in (via internet) two  application forms and that permission would take two weeks approx. Don't have that time available as I'm returning to the UK in the next 10 days. I'm on 772 323 1951 if you want to discuss.
2016-3-14
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flyin&#39;Bryan Posted at 2016-3-14 18:29
Does the FAA not claim to own all airspace?   Sounds misleading to me.

Aloha Bryan,

For interpretation purposes, it might help to realize that the FAA regulations apply to any and all aircraft, both manned and unmanned.  All aircraft are required to inform the tower if they are to come within 5 miles of the airfield.  Some planes request to land.  Some planes want to pass trough the 5 mile of airspace around the field.  Some drones want to fly next to a structure within the 5 miles.

To comply with the FAA regulations, operators, pilots, etc. can apply for an exemption.  That is where the 333 Exemption comes from.  The system really does make sense when you see that the FAA Regulations apply to all aircraft, manned and unmanned.  The FAA Regulations manage an airspace system in a legal way so it has to be consistent.  The proposed regulations for UAVs are amazingly fair to micro and small UAVs because they have to be consistent.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-15
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-3-14 18:22
Sorry , but I interrupt your quote differently.  I understand it to say that statutory parameters  ...

Aloha terry,

See what I wrote Bryan below.  The FAA Regulations apply to all aircraft, both manned and unmanned.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-15
Use props
fansd75a4615
New
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-3-14 19:43
Your FAA quote refers to Section 333 Exemptions which DOES require specific FAA authorization, in writing.

The back of the FAA drone registration card for hobbyists reads:

Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open-air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

By any means drones will affect air traffic, since you can't fly above 400ft
2017-3-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-3-14 20:22
Sorry , but I interrupt your quote differently.  I understand it to say that statutory parameters for UAS (model aircraft) are outlined HERE in Section 336.
Next it says that folks that fly within that scope DO NOT require permission to operate their UAS.....
but if you operate OUTSIDE those parameters (including commercial/government (non-hobby, non-recreational operation)) then you need specific FAA authorization.

Quoting this post again for emphasis.  It's post 15 above.  Please read it.  PL 112-95 Sec 336 applies to hobbyists and is what matters.  
It doesn't tell us how to notify, but a phone works nicely.  So does an email (to set something up in advance).  I do it by text just before each flight which I have set up in advance by email over a year ago.  Works great.  

Don't confuse this with commercial operators flying under Part 107 which is completely different.  
2017-3-29
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansd75a4615 Posted at 2017-3-29 13:45
Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open-air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

By any means drones will affect air traffic, since you can't fly above 400ft

Pardon,

You are quoting Title 14 CFR 91.110, which because of SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT shown in the post #15 above, does not apply to UAV HOBBYISTS. The intent of any regulation is to ensure HOBBYISTS UAVs do NOT affect air traffic, since the goal of VFR flight is to SEE and AVOID.

This thread is over a year old and as Mark The Droner points out, the FAA continues to modify the airspace requirements and have formalized the Part 107 Remote Pilot certification. In the USA, the FAA mobile app, B4UFLY, provides a great tool to ensure hobbyists flights are conducted with knowledge of airspace restrictions and notification requirements. Mark's post provides excellent guidance for airport/heliport notification. For hobbyists who need to notify an air facility but don't know who to call, the B4UFLY app provides notification details including the Airport Identifier which can be entered into either of these two links to obtain the air facility phone number ->

FAA Airport Data, enter airport identifier and then select CONTACTS...

AirNav Airport Info, enter airport Identifier and then scroll down to Management...
2017-3-29
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-29 14:46
Quoting this post again for emphasis.  It's post 15 above.  Please read it.  PL 112-95 Sec 336 applies to hobbyists and is what matters.  
It doesn't tell us how to notify, but a phone works nicely.  So does an email (to set something up in advance).  I do it by text just before each flight which I have set up in advance by email over a year ago.  Works great.  

Thanks for the follow-up and excellent advice/guidance  based on your real-world experience. It's greatly appreciated!
2017-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules