Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

This accident, as part of a POI to PAN effort, gives an amplified 3D effect.  I forget the name, but there is even a lense that is used to recreate this optical illusion.  Still, it makes my house and neighborhood look like a model set.

Aloha and Drone On!

2016-3-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You took me on a dizzying heights ride into the sky. ;-)

Glad I came back down safe and still smiling. Hahaha

You have a marvelous neighborhood. My mind races...

RedHotPoker
2016-3-14
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Your house looks like a model.
2016-3-15
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-3-14 20:35
You took me on a dizzying heights ride into the sky. ;-)

Glad I came back down safe and still smili ...

Aloha RedHot,

Mahalo!  Glad you enjoyed it!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-15
Use props
allen
lvl.1

Malaysia

Tilt–shift i guess
2016-3-15
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha allen,

Tilt-shift - yes, that is the name for it.  Do you know if they have a special lens for it?  I think someone said they did.  But, this was a complete accident.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-15
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

My experience with tilt-shift is only with stills photography and usually used to correct convergent lines in architectural shots, or in large format scenics to get stunning depth-of field. I see it now used  in a lot of videos and some stills to create the shallow depth of field effect seen in early model based sfx.
Interesting
2016-3-15
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

Love your backyard mate-stunning!
2016-3-15
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

There is a tilt-shift filter effect in the inbuilt video editor, I think it was introduced in the last firmware update.
2016-3-16
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-15 21:59
Love your backyard mate-stunning!

Aloha Mike,

Mahalo!  There is a 26 acre botanical garden in all that jungle.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-17
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-14 22:48
Your house looks like a model.

Aloha Amy,

My house!  Who washed my house!  It shrank.  It does look rather small.  This effect is one of the cool things about flying Phantoms.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-17
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-3-16 00:06
There is a tilt-shift filter effect in the inbuilt video editor, I think it was introduced in the la ...

Aloha endotherm,

The DJI Go app has a tilt-shift filter built in?  Wow!  I must admit that I am at a loss for how such a filter would work.  My friend tried to explain it to me a while ago, but it did not make sense.  I still cannot figure out how ti would work.  I can reproduce this effect without a hitch, but I could not use a filter or know how it would work.  The only thing I can think of is that you would have to have the camera at a 45 degree tilt toward a high relief surface.  What I have a hard time with is what a filter would do?

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-19
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-3-20 17:06
Aloha endotherm,

The DJI Go app has a tilt-shift filter built in?  Wow!  I must admit that I ...

It's a software effect, pretty sure Photoshop and most modern post-production/editing software include something similar.  It basically allows you to define a strip of varying width which is kept in sharp focus, with the rest of the view progressively blurred to create an out-of-focus effect (it also includes a radial "spot" tilt-shift effect).  Similar to a true optical effect using a specialty lens, but applied in post production to any footage you shoot.

live.jpg     tiltshift.jpg
editor.jpg    applied.jpg

I can see how you might think I was referring to a practical photography filter screwed to the front of the camera lens.  I suppose you could do this practically, by smearing lines of vaseline top and bottom over the lens, or like this for a circular effect.

vas.jpg
2016-3-19
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-3-19 20:15
It's a software effect, pretty sure Photoshop and most modern post-production/editing software incl ...

Aloha endotherm,

That is interesting.  I like the old style method of Vaseline on the lens.  Classic.  Just now, when I looked at the photos, I could see the miniature effect, especially the second one.  My video must force the viewer to center their focus and so make the peripheral of the image blur matching the lens effect.  Hmmm.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-22
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-3-22 21:07
Aloha endotherm,

That is interesting.  I like the old style method of Vaseline on the lens.  ...

I'm not sure what it is with your original footage, it looks like the tall trees at the edges tend to stay in focus while the ground blurs away.  A bit like the vaseline lens in reverse!  It reminds me of looking at model train scenery.
2016-3-22
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-3-22 08:29
I'm not sure what it is with your original footage, it looks like the tall trees at the edges tend ...

Aloha endotherm,

Yes, it is just like model trains.  I grew up with model trains - the German ones Marklin, very small.  And my Dad put 2 or 3 4X8 sheets of plywood for the platform and stacked the storage boxes of the parts as mountains and hills, then covered them in canvas and starched the canvas.  I loved to "fly" over it!  Now with my P3 it is a lot like my childhood experience with this effect.

But, one thing seems to be key to the exercise above and that is the fade I did as I tilted the camera back up to level.  I must have gone back 70-100 feet which kept a lot of the scene in the field of view during the tilt.  

About the Vaseline trick.  What if you put a thin layer in the center with the periphery in sharp focus as you noted above.  I wonder what that would look like?

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-23
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-3-23 21:35
Aloha endotherm,

Yes, it is just like model trains.  I grew up with model trains - the Germa ...

I think it would look like you had cataracts in your eyes   The trick with the technique is that it draws your attention to the area in sharp focus (you don't have much choice because you can't make out the soft area).  Drawing your attention to all of the outside won't work well unless it is filled with only one or two objects of interest -- I think you lucked out there with your video with only a couple of large trees to examine.  Also, your peripheral vision isn't as acute as your forward vision, so the periphery will already be naturally softer.
2016-3-23
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-3-23 12:01
I think it would look like you had cataracts in your eyes   The trick with the technique is that ...

Aloha endotherm,

Hmmm.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-23
Use props
damienman12
lvl.1

United States

A fellow Droner from Kaneohe! Nice to see!! Aloha Cetaman!
2016-4-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

damienman12 Posted at 2016-4-6 11:41

Aloha damienman,

Easy for tell the scenery yeah!  Even though it is one minute, and a lot of it looking down, it is hard to miss that it is Kaneohe - Kahalu'u.  So what parts do you fly?  What bird ya got?  Did you hear that the World Drone Championships will be at Kualoa Ranch in October?

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

damienman12 Posted at 2016-4-6 11:41

Aloha damienman,

Did some quick research.  So how is your P3P after the crash?  Did you get the calibrations done OK?  Have you upgraded to the current firmware?

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-6
Use props
damienman12
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-4-6 21:37
Aloha damienman,

Did some quick research.  So how is your P3P after the crash?  Did you get  ...

Aloha Cetaman,

Easy to recognize home always! My P3P is great, that windy day at Makapu'u  just broke some props, luckily I have a bunch had me worried.  I live and work in town now , so most of my shooting is in this area, usually anywhere between Makapu'u  and Ala Moana , I usually don't shoot in Kaneohe at all because its almost all restricted airspace and the best shots are in Kaneohe Bay, way to close to the runway for comfort.  Kailua always looks fun to do maybe lanikai one day , but usually there are so many people who bother you when you try to fly over there. Just very curious.

Look forward to seeing more of your shots!

Aloha ,

damienman12
2016-4-7
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman! Do you live on the side of a volcano?!!!  The mountain looks like one! The video blew me away!
2016-4-7
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-4-7 08:37
Cetaman! Do you live on the side of a volcano?!!!  The mountain looks like one! The video blew me aw ...

Aloha mjl,

Actually, I live in the caldera of an extinct volcano, as does damienman apparently.  Kaneohe Bay is the center of the original island of Oahu.  Everything east and northeast of the bay has been eroded by trade winds and sea.

Strange effect, yeah!  Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-7
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

damienman12 Posted at 2016-4-7 08:20
Aloha Cetaman,

Easy to recognize home always! My P3P is great, that windy day at Makapu'u  just  ...

Aloha damienman,

I had a feeling you were flying Makalu'u when you crashed - stealing my venue are you!   We should fly there together sometime.  I know some great spots there.  Kahana Valley could be a good spot to.  There is even a large open area back in the valley.  I really want to get the box canyon behind the Kaaawa fire station though.

The FAA rules allow us to fly the west shore of Kaneohe Bay as long as we inform the MCBH tower and get clearance.  I want to video the Heeia Fishpond and we are working on doing a reef and shoreline survey (follow me!) so I will be writing up a request for the tower.  That should be interesting.

Good to hear that your P3P is OK.  BTW, I got to shoot the opening of Kaelepulu Stream at the Lanikai end of Kailua Beach for the City.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-7
Use props
damienman12
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-4-7 11:13
Aloha damienman,

I had a feeling you were flying Makalu'u when you crashed - stealing my ven ...

Very fun! Never seen anyone out there with a drone before. Next time I go I'll be chasing whales again , and trying to push my range even more. Yeah don't really want to have to go thru the trouble of that yet lol. Might just chance it and fly the sandbar low one day. Nice work for the city! Makes me ask do you have a pilots license so you could get paid for the gig, or were they cool about it?

Aloha safe flying
2016-4-7
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

damienman12 Posted at 2016-4-7 15:04
Very fun! Never seen anyone out there with a drone before. Next time I go I'll be chasing whales a ...

Aloha damienman,

If the proposed rulemaking is adopted, the FAA cost for a commercial certification for a microdrone (P3P) will be about $214.  You might want to reconsider flying the sandbar without tower clearance because that would make getting FAA certification very hard and you might lose your registration.  The Tower could send the Coast Guard after you since the Coast Guard have a mobile detachment at MCBH (at least for weekends and events).

Yeah!  There should be whales out Makapu'u and Sandys until the end of this month.  The moms train the babies to handle rough water there.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-7
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

damienman12 Posted at 2016-4-7 15:04
Very fun! Never seen anyone out there with a drone before. Next time I go I'll be chasing whales a ...

Aloha damienman,

Sorry, it slipped my mind that I had forgotten to load the file for the proposed rulemaking.  Surprising reading.Here it is;

Aloha and Drone On!

2120-AJ60_NPRM_2-15-2015_joint_signature.pdf

869.32 KB, Down times: 0

2016-4-8
Use props
damienman12
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-4-8 13:08
Aloha damienman,

Sorry, it slipped my mind that I had forgotten to load the file for the pro ...

Thanks Cetaman!

Great read. Update me with how that request to the tower goes!

Aloha !
2016-4-8
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

damienman12 Posted at 2016-4-8 14:43
Thanks Cetaman!

Great read. Update me with how that request to the tower goes!

Aloha damienman,

Will do, once I figure out how to do it!  And I am supposed to know how to do it!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules