Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Horizontal frustration
1835 22 2016-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aminek
lvl.1

Canada

I love the concept although there are things that clearly need more work that have been posted about ad nauseam.
The one thing that really frustrate me is that annoying crooked horizon.

Startup the osmo cold and it tilts to the left. I can adjust the horizontal calibration to compensate but after a few minutes of usage it tilts the other way. So now I have to go back and set the horizontal calibration back to zero.

Turning the osmo after its only been turned off for a few minutes and it the horizon is level (without calibration compensation). Same if it wakes up from sleep.

It's pretty frustrating for times when j just want to turn it on and start shooting.

Firmware is up to date and so are my iPhone iOS update and the dji go app.

What can the DJI reps recommend?

If a future firmware is garanteed to fix this issue I'll be patient. Otherwise I will be returning this cool camera as I'm still within the 30 days.

This issue adds to the other few things that make this sometimes difficult to love fully.

Maybe osmo 2 will iron out the kinks and let this product be as awesome at it could be!

2016-3-14
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Sorry for the trouble!
What I would recommend is to calibrate and adjust the setting of Gimbal in DJI GO App. Please note that it's normal that the gimbal may drift a little when it is placed still for a while, it can perform well in movement.
This problem is expected to be improved in the next update.

I'm not sure if you can still exchange your Osmo with your dealer, but please just have a look our official policy about the after-sales service at http://www.dji.com/service
2016-3-15
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Hi aminek, a few people have this problem including me,next update hopefully will resolve this annoying issues
2016-3-15
Use props
rj74
lvl.4
  • >>>
Morocco

Same problem with mine.
tips left to start with, then after a few minutes it levels.
As you say, you can't calibrate horizon because the gimbal will then tip itself the other way.
Hopefully DJI can fix this
2016-3-15
Use props
ari_za
lvl.3
Flight distance : 77300 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

What a shame... Guess I'll have to hold off on my OSMO purchase for now until they've sorted these issues out
2016-3-15
Use props
aminek
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks guys for the responses. I really want to believe a fix will be there through firmware. If it's a hardware issue, I'm not too keen and spending my time and money sending devices back and forth with the support team (done that before with other brands and promised myself no more!)...

My fleximic hasn't arrived yet. WHen it does and if it does solve the audio issue, I might keep the Osmo and patiently wait for the firmware. But if it doesn't, I'll have to reluctantly seek to get a refund and wait until something more stable comes out from DJI.

2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

aminek Posted at 2016-3-17 13:20
Thanks guys for the responses. I really want to believe a fix will be there through firmware. If it' ...

I'd clarify that the Flex Mic is not for solving the audio issue, but hopefully you'll get a better using experience. All these reported issue are expected to be improved in the next firmware update, thanks for your waiting.
2016-3-16
Use props
speedfly
lvl.1

Canada

Sorry to report the latest firmware 1.6.2 hasn't solved my horizon problem. This is frustrating me to the point where I no longer want to use the OSMO... I just can't mess around with the horizontal calibration every time I want to shoot video. Or want to constantly fix the horizon in post.  

DJI is this a hardware issue??
2016-5-5
Use props
speedfly
lvl.1

Canada

Add the horizontal drift to that list... No bueno :@
2016-5-5
Use props
nickage
lvl.1

United States

When DJI suggest to calibrate , I feel it like they do not understand what is happening. If you calibrate it while Osmo is cold and faced down(in my case not just horizon it also looks down ~5-10%) then in next couple minutes it will worm up and angle itself under opposite angle. So ATM there is not fix for the issue , only waiting, every time you turn on or wake your Osmo.

I want to express one thing, I didn't have this problem in the beginning, when I just got osmo, it showed up some time later, I may try to downgrade firmware to see if this is going to help, if it will then it is firmware issue, otherwise it is physical hardware degradation.
2016-5-5
Use props
speedfly
lvl.1

Canada

Yep, exactly my experience Nickage. Except that I've had this issue with 3 firmwares and it's not going away.
2016-5-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, All,
This issue has drawn our attention all the time and our engineers are trying their best to improve it.
However, please note that the Osmo is designed to be a 3-Axes stabilization kit for stabilizing the vibration during movement, it's unique stabilization features perform best in movement.
Thanks for your understanding!
2016-5-5
Use props
speedfly
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-5 23:31
Hi, All,
This issue has drawn our attention all the time and our engineers are trying their best to  ...

Adela,

As much as you've kindly addressed many of the frustrations on this forum, I don't think this is something your engineers will be able to fix through software. Otherwise they would have resolved it through the few firmwares DJI released since the product was launched.

So it's time DJI acknowledged the issue and addressed through the support channels. This is not a trivial issue, and it affects the usability and output of this product.

It's a version 1 product, I realize, so I hope the quality problem has been resolved in subsequent builds.

Can you tell me anything more than just that the engineers are working on it?
2016-5-6
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

speedfly Posted at 2016-5-7 09:41
Adela,

As much as you've kindly addressed many of the frustrations on this forum, I don't think t ...

Hello!
I'm sorry that I am limited to some details about the products development for some reason.
If I have any update on this issue, I would let you know at the first time.
Thanks for your understanding and support!
2016-5-9
Use props
I have the same issue and am not going to buy another one until this is fixed.... You should ask the engineers if they secured the ass/gyro MPU/6050 by its heat pad to the pcb. This is a very common error and causes the accelerometer to have bad data. These components where never meant to be secured by their heat pad. It will pass self check at start up but the thermoelectric stresses induce skewed data.
2016-5-15
Use props
Burlbark Posted at 2016-5-16 10:34
I have the same issue and am not going to buy another one until this is fixed.... You should ask the ...

I bought a second unit and it behaves nearly 100% the same as the first. It is obvious that the yaw and horizon data is being skewed by improper design. I now have nearly $500 invested with no working OSMO. You would think that DJI would acknowledge the problem and have us frustrated users send them in and have a new and improved version sent out. This is unacceptable.... I will hold off on buying the x5r until I receive some positive feedback from support and my issues resolved.
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Burlbark Posted at 2016-5-20 10:54
I bought a second unit and it behaves nearly 100% the same as the first. It is obvious that the y ...

As a company, we also always wanna meet your expectation to the most.
If there's any update on these issues, we would let you know at the first time.

Thanks for your support and understanding.
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-20 12:11
As a company, we also always wanna meet your expectation to the most.
If there's any update on th ...

Here is an update from me. The product doesnt work as described and I am going to make a viral video. No one at support seems to care, so just maybe, if I cause $100,000.00 loss in sales then maybe it will get fixed before people such as myself spend our hard earned money and get an improperly designed product.

2016-5-20
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1016486 ft
United States

I'm still in the experimentation phase of using the Osmo, and received some great advise so far, so I'm not about to sound like I know WTH I'm speaking about.  Having said that, I don't believe I've seen much of the horizon drift issue with my used Osmo, and that MAY be because the camera is still loaded with an older F/W version 1.0.1.19, can't say for certain at this point. However, with that being said, I was wondering if anyone had tried using the camera in the Flashlight mode to determine if you get the same effect.  
Again, I realize this may not change anything, and is certainly not a fix, but something that may help reduce the frustration level when using the camera.   
If you like, check it out and please let us know if it's helped any.  : )

Regards,
2016-5-20
Use props
Phantomflyer Posted at 2016-5-21 03:57
I'm still in the experimentation phase of using the Osmo, and received some great advise so far, so  ...

Thanks for offering some feedback. I am sending both units back and Paypal is taking care of me. I cant believe that they can rush this to market and not fix it after 6 months or more? They really dont care or it would be recalled with no questions asked.

Send in the old one we made a mistake, Thank you for shopping DJI. Never going to happen for the end consumer.{:4_154:}
2016-5-20
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1016486 ft
United States

Burlbark Posted at 2016-5-21 04:19
Thanks for offering some feedback. I am sending both units back and Paypal is taking care of me. I ...

Really, you can't believe they can rush it to market and not fix the issue after six months. lol

I'm not trying to play Devils advocate here, but I know you've been around for some time fixing & flying DJI Quadcopters, and I'm fairly certain you are aware of the horizon tilt issues experienced on most of that product line since April, 2014 to present without any substantial fix to that concern either.
It simply appears to be the nature of the beast IMO, but I also believe this occurs with many such products. Eg. FPV flight googles for one as they too have been plagued with one issue or another.  : )

Have a great day! glad you were able to get it all taken care of via PayPal.
2016-5-20
Use props
Phantomflyer Posted at 2016-5-21 05:57
Really, you can't believe they can rush it to market and not fix the issue after six months. lol

I have been aware of it but have also been able to alleviate those Horizon tilts 99% of the time. This one would require me to disassemble the OSMO that I just bought and while this may fix mine it would not fix the  countless others with this issue. Yeah I expect more from DJI rather than the "Where working on it".

With all the posts I have made today and the video I have shared I hope they have lost $10k and thats only today. Get with it or lose cash, I cant operate with half working products. If we dont step up and demand better products and talk with our cash they wont listen.
2016-5-20
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Burlbark Posted at 2016-5-21 03:02
Here is an update from me. The product doesnt work as described and I am going to make a viral vid ...

Hello.
Sorry for any trouble.

According to your description, you've been able to figure out the general cause of the problem, haven't you?
If the bad connection is caused by the hardware assemble work, please contact your dealer for further assistance.

If you need any help, please let me know.
2016-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules