Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 FW Upgrade Guide
123Next >
56114 94 2016-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

A lot of users are confused by the new Phantom 4 Firmware upgrade, so i decided to make a thread to clear up any misunderstandings.

1. Download DJI GO 2.7 (or upgrade to it)
2. Connect to your Phantom 4
3. Firmware update reminder should be on a home page. Click the update.
    3.1. If your app doesn't show the update reminder, please restart the app
    3.2. If your app still doesn't show the update reminder, please re-install the app
    3.3. If your app STILL doesn't show the update reminder, please make sure you have the internet connection, leave it open on the home page for a while. It could take some time to show up.
4. Follow the steps given in the app
   4.1 Make sure that short OTG cable is pluged in the aircraft and the long cable is pluged into your mobile device.
IMG_1612.PNG

IMG_1616.JPG

5. Upgrade your firmware.
   5.1 Don't turn off the aircraft, RC or DJI GO before the FW upgrade is complete.
   5.2 The aircraft can behave abnormally when updating the app. Led lights can shine randomly, the gimbal can go limp, drone might make different sounds. Don't worry, just give it a bit of time.
IMG_1614.PNG

6. Upgrade is succesful! Please restart the aircraft and connect your mobile device with remote controller.
IMG_1615.PNG

7. Now update your RC
IMG_1636.PNG

\ IMG_1637.PNG

IMG_1638.PNG

8. Done! Reboot your RC.
IMG_1639.PNG

9. Check if all the firmware versions are correct.
IMG_1640.PNG

2016-3-15
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Good job!
2016-3-16
Use props
Ulysse
First Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

1.1 Turn ON the RC (with the BIN method on the SD card, the RC had to be turned OFF so many people do the same)
1.2 Turn ON the quad

5.3 The upgrade process will ask you to unplug - replug the quad (I was asked to do this at 94%) in order to refresh the aircraft status : it stays at 94% for several minutes in my case which leads to too much stress !!!

10. VERIFY ALL SETTINGS in the APP, especially the failsafe setting (everything was to factory settings after the update)
11. Do IMU Calibration : even if this is not needed I think it is a good thing to do it and doesn't take too long.
12. Do Compass calibration before the next flight : same as point 10
2016-3-16
Use props
Exib
Captain
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tim that's a great guide, I think the confusion is more to do with this being different to the previous DJI models and the instructions provided in the box are not detailed enough

Can you do a video regarding the process think that would be more helpful
2016-3-16
Use props
jwalker59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37369 ft
United States

Thank you.  I never got a message to upgrade.  I think I may be up to date but not sure.  What are the exact latest version numbers?
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you very much Tim
2016-3-16
Use props
brix7272
New

United States

Thank you!! Very helpful!!
2016-3-16
Use props
karlsbar
lvl.1

Germany

Fine,my P4 ist arrive me tomorow,i have all read here and now i hope I'm ready to fly aehh update my bird.
If my new Bird angry,so what i use my good old P2V+ it's never falling from the Sky.
greets to all and DJI-Amy+Tim+Ken
Michael
2016-3-16
Use props
4StateFlyer
lvl.1

United States

Awsome thank you for detailed instructions.   I was hoping to see this now I just need my P4 and I'm all set to go .

Should I calibrate the IMU's after doing the update?
2016-3-16
Use props
Bobcape3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 135787 ft
United States

This is going to be very helpful.  Thanks!

Bob
2016-3-16
Use props
4StateFlyer
lvl.1

United States

After updating should you do calibration on IMU and Remote control?   What are people doing on calibration after updates?
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

4StateFlyer Posted at 2016-3-17 06:06
After updating should you do calibration on IMU and Remote control?   What are people doing on calib ...

Do an IMU and then compass, gimbal calibration.
2016-3-16
Use props
macpjr
New

United States

Be sure to have RC on - upgrade stuck at 99% until I turned on the RC.  It completed fine soon after.
2016-3-16
Use props
macpjr
New

United States

Be sure to have RC on - upgrade stuck at 99% until I turned on the RC.  It completed fine soon after.
2016-3-16
Use props
macpjr
New

United States

Ulysse Posted at 2016-3-16 04:48
1.1 Turn ON the RC (with the BIN method on the SD card, the RC had to be turned OFF so many people d ...

Yes, RC needs to be on. Sticks at 99% until you do.
2016-3-16
Use props
amatthews
Second Officer
Flight distance : 675364 ft
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 01:33
Do an IMU and then compass, gimbal calibration.

Hello ,

where can I find the menuepoint " IMU-Calibration". Any tips?

thanks
alex
2016-3-17
Use props
Ulysse
First Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

In the menu where you set failafe and other options, there is a "Sensor" sub-menu. Then a "Calibrate" button.
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Ulysse Posted at 2016-3-17 17:21
In the menu where you set failafe and other options, there is a "Sensor" sub-menu. Then a "Calibrate ...

The sensors are calibrated from your PC using the Assistant software.
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-4/info#downloads
2016-3-17
Use props
Ulysse
First Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 13:19
http://www.dji.com/product/p ...

He asked for the IMU calibration... which is done with the Go App, not the Assistant...
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Ulysse Posted at 2016-3-17 20:36
He asked for the IMU calibration... which is done with the Go App, not the Assistant...

I thought they were looking for the obstacle avoidance calibration.
IMU calibration is General Settings, MC Settings, Advanced Settings, Sensors, Calibrate IMU, Start Calibration.
I suggest doing a cold calibration, that way the IMU initialization process only takes seconds and you will be ready to fly in a much shorter time.
leave the aircraft somewhere cold fro 15 minutes or so, then hurry and plug in a battery and start the IMU calibration.
And don't forget to do a compass and gimbal calibration after.
2016-3-17
Use props
renato rodrigue
New

Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 13:19

Assistant software for mac when we?
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

renato rodrigue Posted at 2016-3-18 01:07
Assistant software for mac when we?

Not available for Mac as of yet.
2016-3-17
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.3

United States

For mac you can always just bootcamp or run a VM
2016-3-17
Use props
icsrz
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

So how does the assistant 2 relate to the P4? I thought this software is for other products???
Also do I need to update everytime I have a new battery pack like P3?

OMG! After I charged my battery I right away went to this guide and followed instructions, connected the aircraft straight to the tablet and nothing was happening. haha!. New users, please go through the plugging of your Tablet/ phone to the RC first and sync with your aircraft before doing this update.
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

icsrz Posted at 2016-3-17 12:59
So how does the assistant 2 relate to the P4? I thought this software is for other products???
Also  ...

You can use the Assistant software or the APP on your device to update firmware now.

Yes, You will still need to update each new battery.

Dave
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

WillBapta Posted at 2016-3-17 12:03

Yep that will work.

Dave
2016-3-17
Use props
iamdorian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68356 ft
  • >>>

Nice well laid out instructions. However, my download stopped at 0%. One time it appeared to have been downloaded and asked to hook up the Aircraft, then nothing happened on aircraft start up.

This is possibly the most convoluted way to update a quad ever invented and is going to cost DJI dearly! Still can't get mine to work despite 2 hours of work ... and that does not include searching out and finding and working with the info on THIS PAGE. I have 32 years of technical Mac experience, and have flown drones starting back with MicroKopters in 2009. IF I AM THIS MIFFED, how does DJI expect others — inexperienced with the hassles of updating these integrated RC/Aircraft/SmartPhone-Tablet Firmware/Software systems — to handle this and buy their gear? This is a really bad move!

Stick with simple: download a ".bin" file. Place on microSD card. Stick in plane. Start plane. Shut down when beeps change. SIMPLE.

If I cannot even wrap my head around this I am returning the Phantom 4 to Apple, and asking for a refund, and I'l stick with the old Inspire 1s.

SIMPLE ... IS SMART. Adding multiple layers of integration to complicate an already complex and potentially problem-ridden process, ensuring whole new levels of screw-ups and possible failures at every level, is dumber than a fence post ... cubed. WHO COMES UP WITH SUCH IDEAS ... management?
REPENT DJI! This dumb decision could cost you undreds of thousands of dollars!
2016-3-17
Use props
icsrz
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I did the firmware upgrade. Started off using my android while the aircraft was upgrading. The its time to upgrade the RC after reboot. Android no longer recognizes the Aircraft. So I switch to my iPhone 6s and it recognize the RC and continued the firmware update. All done and working with iPhone 6s. But android does not see the P4 (does not give camera option). It sees the inspire but when I got o camera mode no picture. I'd rather use my android because of the bigger screen. Any updates coming?
2016-3-17
Use props
wheezy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 86755 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 11:38
Not available for Mac as of yet.

P4 only available at Apple store, can't use apple computer to setup drone. Hilarious.

So, stuck at 99% for 20 minutes now. RC has been on entire time.

Any suggestions?
2016-3-17
Use props
wheezy
lvl.3
United States

WillBapta Posted at 2016-3-17 12:03

Are you buying copies of windows for us?
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

wheezy Posted at 2016-3-18 06:45
P4 only available at Apple store, can't use apple computer to setup drone. Hilarious.

So, stuck  ...

Power off the aircraft then back on. Go to the about page in general settings and you should be on Aircraft 01.00.0288 and the RC on 1.5.8. If so, your all good.
And I see you got your P4 by the 17th.
2016-3-17
Use props
wheezy
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 18:05
Power off the aircraft then back on. Go to the about page in general settings and you should be on ...

Got it working, and I did indeed. It's unfortunate that it was such a pita as nobody was home because tracking still said tomorrow up until 9:30am when it all of a sudden updated and said by 10:30 today.

Went and took my first flight after doing all the fw bologna. (no joke DJI needs to hire me, the documentation is in dire need of help)
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

wheezy Posted at 2016-3-18 12:02
Got it working, and I did indeed. It's unfortunate that it was such a pita as nobody was home beca ...

With the popularity of the P4 and the number of them being shipped, there was a delay in shipping updates.
2016-3-17
Use props
coreysromero
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 05:19

I have a mac.... How do I install the .exe if I don't have a PC?
2016-3-17
Use props
coreysromero
lvl.1
United States

IF I can download the firmware from my phone why do I need to have DJI GO?

Im having a couple of issues.
First I turned everything on, phone app said to install update. The controller updated and then the RC updated. It said RC firmware installed.
I reboot the RC like the app says along with the phone and controller and it still says I need to install the firmware.

Can anyone explain what's going on here and what the DJI go app does before I DL VMware Fusion and have to install WIndows?

Thanks
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

coreysromero Posted at 2016-3-18 12:36
I have a mac.... How do I install the .exe if I don't have a PC?

The Assistant2 software is for calibrating the camera sensors and also updating firmware. But only available for PC as of now.
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

coreysromero Posted at 2016-3-18 12:50
IF I can download the firmware from my phone why do I need to have DJI GO?

Im having a couple of i ...

The GO app is used for downloading the P4 firmware to your phone/tablet. Then you plug the phone/tablet into the aircraft with your USB cable and the OTG USB cable.
Follow instructions in the app to upgrade firmware.
If it only goes to 99%, power cycle the aircraft and if it it still does not go to 100% and says complete, It's probably already updated.
Go to the about page and verify that it's updated.
2016-3-17
Use props
coreysromero
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 21:59
The GO app is used for downloading the P4 firmware to your phone/tablet. Then you plug the phone/t ...

It starts at 0% gets to 1% then says it's complete and has upgraded.
"Overall Status" says:
Aircraft requrs update. Download update from DJI Go Homepage

RC upgrade complete

RC has upgraded to the latest veriosn, V1.5.80 please reboot your RC

**I reboot the RC**

Phone app says the same message as above.

Aircraft status says "Firmware requires update".

About screen says
App version 2.7.1
Aircraft version 01.00.0.70
RC version 1.4.30+

Any ideas?
2016-3-17
Use props
coreysromero
lvl.1
United States

Looks like after restarting 9 times its finally updating correctly as it's now at 16% and not jumping from 2% to completed right away. Thanks for the feedback Ken. I'll have additional questions if this doesn't update.

2016-3-17
Use props
coreysromero
lvl.1
United States

Overall status normal, about screen shows its been updated to 1.5.80!

Sweet now I can fly tomorrow. Thanks again Ken
2016-3-17
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules