Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why do some NFZs and GEO Zones differ in size ?
902 3 2016-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
simonm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 406886 ft
United Kingdom

I'm going to be flying about 600m outside a NFZ around an airfield in the UK when looking at the DJi flysafe map.
As it's a bit close for comfort and to make sure I can fly, I thought it prudent to download the beta GEO System app so I can unlock this NFZ. Now when I look at the GEO unlock planner, the same NFZ or Authorization Zone as it's called is about 800m (25%) bigger in radius. If I'd just gone by the flysafe map and assumed I was clear then I may be in trouble.

Surely these zones should be identical, or certainly those that prevent us from flying. Can DJI please explain why they aren't ?

I've checked a few in the UK and all the GEO zones are bigger.

I suggest you check both sets of maps if flying anywhere near a NFZ.
2016-3-16
Use props
RBirtles
lvl.2

To be honest I would tend to take DJI NFZ's as an indicator only and just ensure I know the country's rules governing the use of UAVs within registered airports and helipads etc.  From there seek permissions with the necessary air authorities.

If the DJI app needs to be processed to allow flying in the NFZ do it but still, stick to the law of the country as I am sure you will have no defence stating that DJI app says you could fly there.

Just my 2c worth

Cheers!
Birty
2016-3-16
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

In the United States there are several no fly zone apps available for use, all are different as far as nfz's... The one I use is b4ufly which is the FAA's approved map and information app.
actual certified aircraft nav charts could be a better choice for some...
2016-3-17
Use props
simonm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 406886 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for your comments.

I've spoken to the local ATC and got clearance subject to final timings but it's more about making sure my Inspire will be allowed to fly once I get there, so knowing the limit of the GEO fencing. I suppose I need to go by the GEO fencing maps for that.

Cheers,

Simon
2016-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules