My 6 Week old P3P has stress cracks already!
1337 16 2016-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wheeliesteve
lvl.2

United States

I've only had my Phantom 3 Professional about 6 weeks and it already has stress cracks under one of the engines. I've only flown it a couple dozen times with never any issues. What's the quickest way to get this repaired/replaced from here in the U.S.? I added a picture and it's hard to see because it's just small hairline cracks around one of the screw holes. Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

1c.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

2016-3-17
Use props
acarpenter245
lvl.2

United States

I would just get a set of motor mounts from Amazon or eBay. With my experience you will send it out wait 4-6 weeks to get it fixed for it just to happen again. The motor mounts will prevent it from getting any worse and will not affect the flight in any way. Just my 2 cents  
2016-3-17
Use props
wheeliesteve
lvl.2

United States

acarpenter245 Posted at 2016-3-17 11:26
I would just get a set of motor mounts from Amazon or eBay. With my experience you will send it out  ...

Is there some kind of plastic epoxy I can put on it to stop the spreading? Also, will the mounter mounts not void the warranty?
2016-3-17
Use props
wheeliesteve
lvl.2

United States

Just got my flashlight out and inspected all of the arms top and bottom. Found another crack on the opposite arm at the top. Emailed DJI and received a response with a ticket number and said someone would be in contact. I really wish I would have know about these cracking issues before I bought from DJI. topc.jpg
2016-3-17
Use props
moses1964
lvl.2
Flight distance : 153766 ft

United States

wheeliesteve Posted at 2016-3-17 21:59
Just got my flashlight out and inspected all of the arms top and bottom. Found another crack on the  ...

I agree, my p3a has only been flown once and never crashed. I have ran it at home with blades off a few times after updates And the other day after upgrade I turned it over so I could see the usb port better. Upon doing this I noticed a hair line crack on one side. upon further inspection I found another in same place on other side. not a happy camper.
2016-3-17
Use props
moses1964
lvl.2

United States

wheeliesteve Posted at 2016-3-17 21:59
Just got my flashlight out and inspected all of the arms top and bottom. Found another crack on the  ...

I agree, my p3a has only been flown once and never crashed. I have ran it at home with blades off a few times after updates And the other day after upgrade I turned it over so I could see the usb port better. Upon doing this I noticed a hair line crack on one side. upon further inspection I found another in same place on other side. not a happy camper.
2016-3-17
Use props
Armo
lvl.1

Netherlands

moses1964 Posted at 2016-3-18 06:27
I agree, my p3a has only been flown once and never crashed. I have ran it at home with blades off  ...

What rev P3A do you have exactly? W322 (A) or (B)? Check the sticker on the box.
2016-3-18
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

Prior to getting my P3A I did tons of searching on here and on the 'net to see if there were any consistent issues.  Cracking was one issue i found lots of comments on.   I found one that suggested backing out those screws and tightening them but not as "hard".  So when I got mine that was one of the first things I did.  So some 3 months later and several dozen flights, no cracks.  I know this doesn't help the OP but might help someone else.

But also during my search  I didn't find anyone that reported an inflight failure, where the phantom broke apart in flight or crash because of these cracks...
2016-3-18
Use props
BJsCOOT2
lvl.2

United States

wheeliesteve Posted at 2016-3-17 14:01
Is there some kind of plastic epoxy I can put on it to stop the spreading? Also, will the mounter  ...

http://www.plast-aid.com/
2016-3-18
Use props
Armo
lvl.1

Netherlands

QuadBart Posted at 2016-3-18 22:08
Prior to getting my P3A I did tons of searching on here and on the 'net to see if there were any con ...

Thanks for the tip! Which screws exactly are you talking about? En did you use thread lock?  
2016-3-19
Use props
GM01
lvl.2

Belgium

@ Armo        What is the difference between A and B version ?
2016-3-19
Use props
Armo
lvl.1

Netherlands

GM01 Posted at 2016-3-19 10:48
@ Armo        What is the difference between A and B version ?

Some minor tweak in frequencies and power levels but some users also report distance advantages:

"Just a quick update as my new W322B Advanced arrived today. it shipped with 1.4 what + firmware which I have not updated yet, it still lands hard in auto land (tested just to see if it would also do it like others) but distance is unbelievable, I felt like it wanted to keep going and keep going and keep going (and it did). Was the original advanced and Pro limited to 1.2 miles? Because this one will definitely do 3.1."
2016-3-19
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Is this the new shell or the old design shell? Mine is also newish about 10 weeks old and no signs of cracks at all. I checked and it's the new design shell.
2016-3-19
Use props
garretn
lvl.2

United States

I'm curious why wouldn't this be a warranty issue?   This seems like a perfect example of what warranty is for on a product.
2016-3-19
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Not bad for 6 weeks old DJI must B using a different plastic on the newer models my 1.1.1 been crashed hard landed in water 2 times flew into a tree hard and guess what no prob my girls FC 40 is the same way but mine takes a hell of a beating than hers PRICE GOES UP QUALTY GOES DOWN BUT I LOVE MY 1.1.1 its my FPV bird I think im gonna invest in a phantom 2.
2016-3-19
Use props
moses1964
lvl.2

United States

the only way I know to stop cracks is to drill a small hole at  both ends of the crack it will stop it from growing, then you can put a light glaze of glue on the crack.
2016-3-19
Use props
wheeliesteve
lvl.2

United States

Shipped mine back yesterday to the North America location in California. Hopefully I'll get it back in a few weeks with one that has a better shell.
2016-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules