Gimble Noise on new P4 - DJI Can you Comment?
1862 16 2016-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gswilder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18409 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello all, just got my new P4 from Apple a couple days ago.

Has anyone else noticed a noise from their gimble? I hear it each time I turn on the P4. Sounds like a squeek noise. It is not the "chirp chirp" noise when you turn the P4 on.

If I pick the P4 up and move it around a bit, I can hear the squeek when the gimble moves to try and maintain its stable position. If I move the P4, so the gimble is kind of at it's max postion, the squeek squeek repeats. So it is not a mechanical squeek, but some noise coming from the gimble or it's motor or sensor?

Never noticed this on my P3P. And the video seems pretty stable in flight, so not sure if an issue.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks in advance.
G.
2016-3-18
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

Think I know what you mean, same for me. By the way, have you also noticed a "new" engine sound? A high pitch sound from the propellers/engine when hovering in front of you?
2016-3-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thacyoon Posted at 2016-3-19 18:12
Think I know what you mean, same for me. By the way, have you also noticed a "new" engine sound? A h ...

Are you guys hearing the fan inside the body?
2016-3-18
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-19 08:52
Are you guys hearing the fan inside the body?

Don't think it is the fan. I have heard the fan without engins running, it is not a fan sound. The sound reminds me of a broken bearing, or bearing with too little grease...
2016-3-19
Use props
gswilder
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I agree, it does sounds like a bearing with no grease. And I have heard the fan and other sounds the previous posters are describing.

Glad to know it's not just mine. I believe it is a sound generated by P4 computer. Like I said when you twist it to where the Gimble hits max travel, it does a repetitive squeek squeek squeek.

So far, the video on mine is fantastics, along with still photos. I do believe the video/stills are slightly better than the P3P I own. But being an amateur/pro photographer, it's all very subjective. Could just be that DJI tweeked the standard camera settings for saturation and contrast/etc.

Definitely handles better than my P3P. I have noticed a little more "drift". But it was a little windy yesterday, so not sure if that is the problem or not. I did do an IMU calibration after the initial firmware upgrade, but maybe need to do another one. I can understand horizontal drift, but mine seems to be moving vertical up an down a half foot or so.

Thanks all. Lets keep this thread going on the "the squeek".
2016-3-19
Use props
icsrz
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Got the same. Its noticeable while carrying it. I turn it up to side or downward and will make a quick squick/grinding/farting sound. I hope it's not big deal in long term.
2016-3-19
Use props
gswilder
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

A poster on phatompilots said he had the noise and returned it. New one did not have the gimble noise/squeak.
2016-3-19
Use props
lee.lambie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Same noise here to, any help Dji ???
2016-3-19
Use props
lee.lambie
lvl.1

United Kingdom

?????????????????????????????
2016-3-20
Use props
gswilder
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI I know you monitor this forum. Can you provide any feedback on this issue?

I'd like to have some advice, before I send it back for a replacement.

Thanks
G
2016-3-20
Use props
gswilder
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

FYI... ordered a replacement from Apple. Does NOT have the squeak sound. Haven't flown it yet, so we will see.
2016-3-24
Use props
larry.marshall
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72 ft
  • >>>

I have the same squeak issue with the gimbal.  I guess I'll call tech support tomorrow.
2016-3-24
Use props
Robertjfranklin
lvl.2

United States

Thacyoon Posted at 2016-3-19 06:41
Don't think it is the fan. I have heard the fan without engins running, it is not a fan sound. The ...

Hey man have a question for you regarding this! Any chance you can accept my request?
2016-5-10
Use props
alish1992
New

Iran

Hi friend
I think i have some problems
when i twist my P4 left about 45-50 degrees, gimbal starts vibrating and squeezing
Do you have this broblem or somthing like this(twisting front, left, ...) too?
Please E\explain that with detail
Thanks so much
2016-5-28
Use props
alish1992
New

Iran

alish1992 Posted at 2016-5-29 01:53
Hi friend
I think i have some problems
when i twist my P4 left about 45-50 degrees, gimbal starts vi ...

Please help me dear friends
2016-5-29
Use props
usarfireman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79957 ft
United Kingdom

Ordered mine from Apple went to collect it and tested my one out in Apple Store as seen on YouTube about this problem and it had the gimbal noise so they changed it for another one, this one was fine just a pity another problem cropped up a few days later so that went back as well.
2016-5-29
Use props
ville.honkonen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 80919 ft
Finland

I have same problem, dji has email me that is not a problem.
2016-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules