FPV Goggles for Phantom 4?
27181 29 2016-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
waynepj3
lvl.3
  • >>>

I have FPV Goggles. I used the FPV Camera App for first person view flying. This app previously was only compatible with the Phantom 3 Adv or Pro.

Does the DJI App have a mode for FPV flying?
2016-3-18
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha wayne,

You will need to install an HDMI module on the P4 Remote Controller, just like you would do with a P3.  The P3P and P3A remote controllers are identical to the P4 remote controller.  Only the firmware is different.  Various reports on this forum say it works (search for it).  Then, as long as your goggles can handle the HDMI input, it will work.  Should be a blast with goggles!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-18
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-18
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

wrathofkhan Posted at 2016-3-18 21:56
Which goggles will give you the telemetry and battery status notwithstanding which are the very be ...

Aloha khan,

If you want a one-to-one display of 4:3 image from the DJI Go app to a set of goggles with the best resolution (at least for now), you need to get an nVidia Shield K1 with the HDMI output for $200 as your display.  The goggles with the best resolution are the $500 FAT SHARK DOMINATOR HD2 and the display is also 4:3.  However, the display is compressed sideways because the native nVidia Shield display is 16:9.  I am still trying to figure out how to get it to display uncompressed sideways.  The blue one is 16:9 with slightly less resolution - the FAT SHARK DOMINATOR V3 FPV.  It costs $350.  So, for $550 to $700 you can get the best out there.  

The DJI HDMI output module provides a limited OSD and has large letters.  There is no sideways compression with the $500 FAT SHARK DOMINATOR HD2 goggles.  The nVidia HDMI provides an exact duplication of the DJI Go app display on the tablet screen to the goggles but you have to use the FAT SHARK DOMINATOR V3 FPV to duplicate the 16:9 display (as far as I know at this stage).  Still, the blank side borders will display in the goggles like they do on the nVidia Shield display.

For $400 you can get a GeChic 2501H OnLap Portable 15.6 inch monitor and an external battery with 2.1A output from Amazon.  This one is amazing.  I use it more than I do the goggles.  It duplicates the nVidia Shield display because it is also 16:9 but much larger.  Please remember that all images are displayed at 720p resolution unless otherwise stated.  The GeChic can double as a second screen for your phone, tablet or laptop and display 1080p.  But the output of the goggles and P3 are 720p at best.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-19
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

2016-3-19
Use props
FPV Booster
lvl.3

Hong Kong

A new version 3.0 of FPV Camera (currently under beta testing built on DJI SDK 3.1) will officially support P4, though the current version FPV Goggles should work fine on P4 as well.

Check out What's New in FPV Camera for details.

2016-3-19
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

wrathofkhan Posted at 2016-3-19 21:29
Hi cetaman,
Thank you for your very detailed explanation.
The nVidia Shield K1 is not readily ava ...

Aloha khan,

When I first tried my Dom HD2s, I landed my P3P right next to me on my picnic table.  There was that much control.  The letters are not so large that they are distracting.  All the important information is on the goggle display and the display matches the P3P display, 4:3, so there is no distortion.  The DJI HDMI module will serve you well IMHO.

Now racing drones are another story.  My friend bought a 250 and I got a radio transmitter (FatShark) for the goggles.  I promise, you will have to watch someone else fly your racing drone while you watch with the goggles for the first few flights.  The 250s are nothing like Phantoms.  They are squirrelly and much more like RC helos and planes - no GPS stabilization or compass.  They can and will fly away!.  It will be fun, but you will not trust yourself until much later.  Fortunately, you can go into the controller menu to setup a failsafe and tune the controller for more manageable flight.  Then you loosen the controls and even make them more quick-reaction.

BTW, for 250s, you have to have the antennae attached to the transmitter module when you turn on the radio transmitter or you will burn out the transmitter.  It is easy to forget that because the DJI HDMI rig uses the cable and you may forget at some point.  I take my transmitter module out of the goggles when I fly DJI.

I know what you mean about Australians getting screwed regarding technology.  I almost moved there years ago, but my research said no.  Get this!  People from Tahiti come to Hawai'i for shopping sprees!  Things are so much cheaper here - and we are expensive!  Only recently has shipping started to get more reasonable.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-20
Use props
waynepj3
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

FPV Booster Posted at 2016-3-20 00:45
A new version 3.0 of FPV Camera (currently under beta testing built on DJI SDK 3.1) will officially  ...

Thanks. Because I use the goggle where you just slide your phone in
2016-3-20
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

2016-3-21
Use props
kjmarsola
lvl.3
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-3-19 02:58
Aloha wayne,

You will need to install an HDMI module on the P4 Remote Controller, just like yo ...

You don't need HDMI  for the FPV Goggles APP
2016-3-21
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

kjmarsola@gmail Posted at 2016-3-21 00:10
You don't need HDMI  for the FPV Goggles APP

Aloha kj,

No, the HDMI module is not required if you have an HDMI-out with your tablet like the nVidia Shield.  HDMI-out will give you the same display as the Camera View of the DJI flight desktop.  If your tablet does not have an HDMI-out, you will have to swap out your USB module for the DJI HDMI module on your Remote Controller.

The big problem, as noted above, is whether you want a 16:9 display or a 4:3 display.  The DjI display is in 4:3 aspect ratio, so the DJI HDMI module replicates it very well.  Using a 16:9 aspect ratio display with a 4:3 aspect ratio native display ends up making a stretched image or black borders.  You have to solve that ratio issue or suffer the image problems which in a goggles is a waste of very valuable space.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-21
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

2016-3-21
Use props
dirter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3633799 ft
United States

FPV Booster Posted at 2016-3-20 15:45
A new version 3.0 of FPV Camera (currently under beta testing built on DJI SDK 3.1) will officially  ...

Anyone have any luck with the FVP goggle app with P4?  I'm not getting a feed from the camera. I can tinker with all the settings though. I've asked to get into the beta program but for now only have the version that tops out at P3.
I also have tried the 3D FPV app from Vertigo but nothing but blank screens there. Again doesn't yet officially support P4.
2016-3-24
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

Cetaman Posted at 2016-3-20 08:33
Aloha khan,

If you want a one-to-one display of 4:3 image from the DJI Go app to a set of go ...

Hi Cetaman, have read your post with interest. Can I just clarify my understanding. I have a Shield K1. If I buy the FAT SHARK DOMINATOR V3 FPV (blue ones)...do I just plug a suitable HDMI cable from the K1 into the Fat Sharks and get a correctly presented DJI Go image shown in the goggles ? I am having real problems seeing the K1 in bright daylight and a combination of LCD hood / anti-glare matt screen cover / Gunner glasses is providing very limited improvement. How good is the image I will get in the Fat Sharks (compared to say the K1 screen) ? Thanks for your guidance.
2016-3-25
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

mrolrac Posted at 2016-3-25 07:28
Hi Cetaman, have read your post with interest. Can I just clarify my understanding. I have a Shiel ...

Aloha mrolrac,

Here is what I do know.  Yes, the HDMI output for the K1 works when a cable goes from the tablet directly to the googles.  The resolutions of the different displays is where it gets challenging.  I have the Dominator HD2 with the 4:3 display.  The display for the K1 is 16:9.  The DJI Go app flight screen (camera view) is 4:3.  The camera view display on the tablet is modified to show the 4:3 DJI image without distortion.  Because of this, there are two blank columns on the sides of the K1 display.  When I plug my HD2s into the tablet, those blank columns cause the camera view to be compressed horizontally because the whole 16:9 image of the K1 display is displayed in the googles at 4:3 with the blank columns on the sides.  

Supposedly, there is a console option with the K1 which gets rid of the compression (the compressed view is called mirror view).  The console option is actually the gaming console with controller and 16:9 display.  I briefly tried to get it to work, but there appeared to be issues requiring the controller or and adapter, etc.  The K1 support does not have a .pdf manual and the Internet web site support pages I have looked at do not deal with this, but I only looked briefly.

The use of the Dominator v3 with its 16:9 display would appear to be a solution to the problem but it is not confirmed.  What if the horizontal compression is duplicated twice in the process of displaying the camera view.  That super skinny compression would be totally unusable.  I am really interested in solving this question.  After the weekend, I will call the company I bought my googles from to see if they have an answer and pursue it in other ways if they do not.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-25
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

Cetaman Posted at 2016-3-25 22:36
Aloha mrolrac,

Here is what I do know.  Yes, the HDMI output for the K1 works when a cable g ...

Thanks Cetaman, so ideally we need someone who has the Dominator V3 FPV to confirm what happens when used with the DJI Go app, i.e. if it gets 'double compressed' or if it displays as on the K1 (presumably including the side blanks)......can anyone out there help with this ? Thanks.
2016-3-25
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

mrolrac Posted at 2016-3-25 15:36
Thanks Cetaman, so ideally we need someone who has the Dominator V3 FPV to confirm what happens wh ...

Aloha mrolrac,

So the user has to have the Dom V3 and an nVidia Shield K1.  The DJO Go app will display on the K1 and also in the goggles.  Both have a 16:9 display resolution.  There is no reason to use the DJI HDMI module in this scenario.  The nice thing about the nVidia Shield K1 and the Dominator V3 goggles is that they display the complete camera view of the DJI Go flight desktop.  The DJI HDMI module displays the camera view with an OSD made of translucent and fairly large font letters.  Only the basic OSD information is displayed.  The goggles display the Histogram, compass and many other bits of information.  It is a direct display of the DJI Go app.  Many would argue that that is cluttered.  It is all up to you.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-25
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

Thanks Cetaman...I have decided to go with this.....http://www.banggood.com/5-Inch-D ... pter-p-1023732.html
2016-3-26
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

Cetaman Posted at 2016-3-26 07:24
Aloha mrolrac,

So the user has to have the Dom V3 and an nVidia Shield K1.  The DJO Go app w ...

Hi Cetaman...I have decided to get the FatShark Dominator V.3's as well.......Whilst I will use them primarily with HDMI from the Nvidia Shield K1 output, I may occasionally use them without HDMI. Can anyone offer advice on what receiver module / antenna would be best to use with this set up (i.e. FatShark Dominator V.3 and P4) in terms of ease of use and best signal results. I will post my thoughts on this combination after trials. Thanks.
2016-3-27
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

mrolrac Posted at 2016-3-26 22:18
Hi Cetaman...I have decided to get the FatShark Dominator V.3's as well.......Whilst I will use th ...

Aloha mrolrac,

Both Dominator V.3 and HD2 claim 720p resolution (adapted from different native resolutions) which matches the resolution of the DJI Go Camera View.  There is a receiver module designed for each of the Dominator Goggles.  Be sure to get the right one.  

The P4 and V.3 will connect with an HDMI cable (mini connectors) so no receiver module will be required.  If you choose to fly racing drones, the receiver modules and antennae will be required with the V.3 goggles.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-27
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

Cetaman Posted at 2016-3-27 12:35
Aloha mrolrac,

Both Dominator V.3 and HD2 claim 720p resolution (adapted from different nati ...

Thanks Cetaman...so, there is only 1 choice of receiver for the FatShark Dominator V.3 and that one will be compatible with picking up the signal from the P4 ? I mean, I don't have several choices of receiver that can be used with it, there is only 1...Sorry to be so basic, but I have no experience at all with these things. I will of course ask the vendor for advice, but there is no harm getting an independent perspective. Thanks.
2016-3-27
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

mrolrac Posted at 2016-3-27 03:06
Thanks Cetaman...so, there is only 1 choice of receiver for the FatShark Dominator V.3 and that on ...

Aloha mrolrac,

What you are describing is like the Phantom 2s, Phantom 3 Standard and Phantom 3 4K.  The Phantom 4 (P4) is like the Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Professional.  The video downlink is through the two antennae on the Remote Control for the Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Professional.  The Remote Control connects with the tablet with a USB cable.  The P3 and P4 can add the HDMI module (in place of the USB module) with a mini HDMI outlet (like the mini HDMI outlet on the K1) to add another display (goggles or flat-screen display).  But, the display from the HDMI module is 4:3, the K1 display is 16:9.  

There is no need for a receiver on the Dominator Goggles (both) when using HDMI cables.  The goggles have a mini HDMI socket like the nVidia Shield K1 does.  Connect the two and you are in.  It is plug-n-play.  Well, you have to flip some switches and press a button or two, but it is quite easily understood.  I think my goggles came with the 3 foot mini HDMI cable.  Only for analog systems like the drone racers do you need a receiver.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-3-27
Use props
mrolrac
lvl.1

Cyprus

Cetaman Posted at 2016-3-28 03:24
Aloha mrolrac,

What you are describing is like the Phantom 2s, Phantom 3 Standard and Phanto ...

Understood...Thanks Cetaman..
2016-3-27
Use props
FPV Booster
lvl.3

Hong Kong

dirter@frontier Posted at 2016-3-25 07:53
Anyone have any luck with the FVP goggle app with P4?  I'm not getting a feed from the camera. I ca ...

You may sign up beta testing  (at fpvbooster.com) of the new version 3.0 that is compatible with P4.
2016-3-28
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Litchi + smartphone + Baofeng Mojing IV (or other VR gogles).
It works best for me.
2016-3-29
Use props
john.chan
New

New Zealand

can I use fatshark v3 goggle on p4
2016-4-6
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

john.chan Posted at 2016-4-7 00:10
can I use fatshark v3 goggle on p4

Which fatshark John? Does it have hdmi input?
I use fatshark dominator 3 and phantom 4 with hdmi module installed
2016-4-7
Use props
lowfat703
New
United States

Does anyone know where I can purchase the cable that connects the Fat Shark Goggles to the HDMI on my P4 Transmitter?
2016-10-4
Use props
fans8c3cdc7c
New

United States

dji goggles ship date
2017-1-5
Use props
HPC1979
New
United States

This post is fairly old now, So are there any new FPV goggles out there that are anything other than Fat Sharks that you guys would recommend.?I have noticed the Boxed FPV googles are starting to get popular now.  I'm sure in the past year now, there should be more completion in the FPV world.
2017-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules