Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
4k or 1080/120fps, which setting will offer best video ??
56386 47 2016-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7f77f159
lvl.1
United States

Here is some footage I took 4K 30 fps - came out nicely - just move the drone smoothly. I reduced to 1080P to see how the low light came out.   Impressive quality! 1080P is great for 120 fps. Play around with them all and its all in the movement. ;)
2017-2-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

One point to remember is that 1080p 120 fps uses a croppped mode of the sensor and is not as good as the lower frame rate versions 1080p.
2017-2-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans7f77f159 Posted at 2017-2-27 16:41
Here is some footage I took 4K 30 fps - came out nicely - just move the drone smoothly. I reduced to 1080P to see how the low light came out.  https://youtu.be/zP2incl-muI Impressive quality! 1080P is great for 120 fps. Play around with them all and its all in the movement. ;)

I would suggest always recording in 4k if you have the means to edit it and re-render if required. That way you're also 'future proofing' your work as much as possible.
2017-2-27
Use props
Ubul
New
United Kingdom

DoctorDrone Posted at 2016-3-19 07:56
Drone Man... great question.  I'm no pro either, but I have a little bit of understanding and can offer my 2-cents.  It's complicated to answer because their are many variables to consider when deciding what video size/quality/resolution and fps (frames per second) to shoot at.   To start, we will refer to size/quality/resolution as "size".  Size and fps are 2 separate issues.  The P4 offers the following video modes or settings according to DJI Phantom 4 specs:

UHD: 4096×2160 (4K) 24 / 25p

I am still relatively new to my dji Phantom 4. My problem is that most of the spec'd video modes simply do not exist and the camera does not support them. for example: UHD at 30fps or 1080p@60fps. There is 50 and there is 120, but there is no 60. So did these bits get removed with firmware updates or is there some secret setting I am supposed to enable to get them appear. Because I can live with super choppy 4k at 25fps as long as I get the almost as good UHD at 30, which makes it tolerable and a bit of interpolation can FAKE fluid motion there when you produce some quality content. If I can only get UHD at 25 as well(which seems to be the case) then I have chosen the wrong drone and I would have to return and replace it with the more expensive phantom 4 which claims to make 4k@60fps(the advanced, if memory serves). Can anyone help me out here?

Bonus info: I have PAL(why do we in the digital age still have these analog TV standards complicate our lives?) and 50Hz anti-flicker settings which might contribute to the camera denying me 30 and 60fps modes.... not sure.....
2017-4-22
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ubul Posted at 2017-4-22 18:27
I am still relatively new to my dji Phantom 4. My problem is that most of the spec'd video modes simply do not exist and the camera does not support them. for example: UHD at 30fps or 1080p@60fps. There is 50 and there is 120, but there is no 60. So did these bits get removed with firmware updates or is there some secret setting I am supposed to enable to get them appear. Because I can live with super choppy 4k at 25fps as long as I get the almost as good UHD at 30, which makes it tolerable and a bit of interpolation can FAKE fluid motion there when you produce some quality content. If I can only get UHD at 25 as well(which seems to be the case) then I have chosen the wrong drone and I would have to return and replace it with the more expensive phantom 4 which claims to make 4k@60fps(the advanced, if memory serves). Can anyone help me out here?

Bonus info: I have PAL(why do we in the digital age still have these analog TV standards complicate our lives?) and 50Hz anti-flicker settings which might contribute to the camera denying me 30 and 60fps modes.... not sure.....

Change to NTSC mode (I would agree that NTSC and PAL terms should not be used now) and you will see the 30 & 60 fps frame rates appear. The RC, controller & aircraft all need to be connected and powered up for any changes to take effect.
2017-4-23
Use props
EMPIREURN
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Drone Man... great question.  I'm no pro either, but I have a little bit of understanding and can offer my 2-cents.  It's complicated to answer because their are many variables to consider when deciding what video size/quality/resolution and fps (frames per second) to shoot at.   To start, we will refer to size/quality/resolution as "size".  Size and fps are 2 separate issues.  The P4 offers the following video modes or settings according to DJI Phantom 4 specs:

hi  great info and explanation - thankyou! Can I ask a question please... I think you'll know the answer..!
I have a MAVIC and as I cant yet view 4K, I switched it to film in HD  - and now know that I inadvertently chose 48fps. I have struggled to edit the footage, as after rendering  (in Prem Pro CS6), the exported footage is both dropping frames OR  including frames that I  have cropped off. Intensely frustrating and meaning I cannot get decent footage; even recropping and re-rendering has no effect - even if I delete the rendered sequences before re-rendering. Do you know of any way that would get me around this - and enable me to get decent and stable footage from the 48fps footage I have? I've tried working with 50fps as it's 'closest' to 48fps amongst other suggestions  - to no avail. Hope you know a way.....!  regards, Mark
2017-9-20
Use props
Drone Monkey Me
lvl.1
Flight distance : 368848 ft
United States

DoctorDrone fantastic post!  I would only add ( and I think that you mentioned it) that shooting in larger formats allows you to have more room in your video to edit. So if you wanted to use a warp stabilizer for example to really smooth out your footage, shooting it in 4K will give you much more room to correct for the motion you are trying to get rid of. When you export it as 1080 or 1440 to post online or for a deliverable, the crop will get rid of any “edges” that might appear as a result of the stabilizer.

Another thing to consider is how you plan to edit. 4k is a monster to edit smoothly. Shooting in a frame size that is at least one size larger than you plan to finalize the project is usually a good idea. I find that I have to use a proxy workflow to “dumb down” the 4k footage for editing and then ramp it back up to 4k for the final export. That way I can get my cuts and actually see the smoothness of the video I shot while scrolling through it in the editor but the computer only has to handle it for processing at the 720 or 1080 workload.
2017-10-13
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Both use 100MBPS - so about the same if 4K @ 60p.
2017-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules