Non DJI intelligent battery not recognized
12Next >
9165 44 2016-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bornmean
New

United States

Phantom 3 Standard - have read the most recent posts, still wondering why my second battery( that worked before recent firmware upgrade) isn't working now. Can post screen shot.
2016-3-19
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

There's other threads on this
It's a DJI thing Battery Thread
2016-3-19
Use props
REMOVE DC NFZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 942671 ft

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-20 14:43

If your battery don't say PHANTOM like in the picture..then it's a fake

Fake

Fake
s-l16000.jpg
2016-3-20
Use props
Bornmean
New

United States

REMOVE DC NFZ Posted at 2016-3-20 03:34
If your battery don't say PHANTOM like in the picture..then it's a fake

I was more looking for a work around or the ability to fly with that battery. I was given the second battery as a gift when the drone showed up for my birthday. It worked right out the gate and wasn't bought thinking it was an original. It worked after the original firmware update when I updated the equipment after flying it a few times. Just not when I upgraded to the last firmware. It's just a bit a pain in the butt now that DJI is locking stuff down like that. I'll get over it and pay the extra money for the branded DJI product, it just doesn't make much sense when there are some good suppliers out there with rave reviews about the parts and batteries.

2016-3-20
Use props
Bornmean
New

United States

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-19 23:43

Mike, I'd read that thread, I was hoping to hear of a work around or something official from DJI reps. It would be nice that they acknowledge that's their path and are sticking to it. I can return battery and purchase the official DJI product, but it doesn't make sense if they are going to correct the issue.

thanks for the pointer though...
2016-3-20
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Bornmean Posted at 2016-3-20 14:49
I was more looking for a work around or the ability to fly with that battery. I was given the seco ...

Use Litchi app instead of the GO app. Works for me.
2016-3-20
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

FAS1 Posted at 2016-3-21 05:08
Use Litchi app instead of the GO app. Works for me.

That's quite interesting, so it's a software rather than a firmware thing, I wonder how long before they modify the sdk?
2016-3-20
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

I have the 1st battery pictured from Bangood.com. Horrible customer service and complete denial of any responsibility. Then I was told about the Litchi app. The Litchi app is much nicer than the GO app in my honest opinion. But they both compliment each other as well. I was completely ignorant to the fact that DJI only wanted DJI batteries and bought before I knew better. Now I know, now I only buy DJI batteries, even with using the Litchi app. Why? Because this one knock-off caused alot of bad feelings and homey don't play like dat, nohow.

But the DJI app is GREAT with the beginners mode and everything. Litchi does not have RTH on display like the GO app does...And there are other subtle and not so subtle differences between them. As I said, they compliment each other well.
2016-3-20
Use props
thegrindlab
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-21 04:28
That's quite interesting, so it's a software rather than a firmware thing, I wonder how long befor ...

We have 4 units of the PHA-3 batteries and they all work as well as the official DJI batteries. Just downgrade DJI Go to version 2.6.0 or earlier, or use Litchi.
2016-3-20
Use props
Bornmean
New

United States

I've returned my non compliant battery and am sporting a new, significantly more expensive, DJI battery today. Thanks for the help and advice on the Litchi app. I'm just new to drone flying and until the Phantom 3 is out of warranty, I'll be trying to comply with DJI as best I can, just in case severe crash happens.

2016-3-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

For DJI, safe flight is of paramount importance. We produce the highest-quality aerial platforms and ensure top performance through tight integration with our DJI Go app and our intelligent battery. Genuine DJI batteries are part of a power-management system that includes temperature-monitoring and protection, logging of charging history, battery-cell health, auto-discharge and other features. We cannot guarantee that third-party batteries include all these important features, so for the safety of our customers and for the reliability of the flight system, our aircraft will only operate with a genuine DJI battery installed.
Why didn’t you take a less-drastic step of perhaps warning customers and giving them some time to swap out their battery?

We want our customers to fly confidently and as safely as possible, and that’s best done using genuine, DJI intelligent batteries. Even a single takeoff or a minute in the air could potentially be unsafe if you’re not using an original DJI intelligent battery and do not have access to our integrated power-management system.

What happens when a person tries to take off with a fake battery?

A warning appears in the DJI Go app, advising the user that a non-DJI battery has been detected and that the craft will be unable to take off.
2016-3-25
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-25 12:35
For DJI, safe flight is of paramount importance. We produce the highest-quality aerial platforms and ...

I gotta side with DJI-Ken on this.

These are aircraft,  operating in public airspace.   

why would you want to risk a major problem, such as a fire or plummeting, out-of-control, dead aircraft?

If you had a Cessna 172,  you wouldn't put a non-certified battery in it,  would you?

same thing for these drones.   Safety-first.

Even though they are the size and cost of toys,  they really are not.  They are very sophisticated pieces of aeronautical equipment (far, far more sophisticated than the previously mentioned 172).

Perhaps my viewpoint is skewed - I'm a licensed pilot (private, SEL).

Sid
2016-3-25
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

sidtx Posted at 2016-3-26 04:50
I gotta side with DJI-Ken on this.

These are aircraft,  operating in public airspace.   

Not a safety thing it's a money thing, but that's fair enough.
LoL - you think a Cessna will only start with Cessna batteries?- That's GOLD!!
2016-3-26
Use props
water_0106
Banned

Singapore

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-26
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

golf_sierra@lib Posted at 2016-3-27 01:28
I see it like sidtx. No-name batteries may go up in flames while charging or in-flight or may damag ...

I think you may be missing the point here.

I'm certainly not suggesting that an inferior battery should be encouraged,

You can put any battery you like in your Cessna, but any consequences are on you. You may also want to read up on your Cessna's electrical system, doesn't need a battery once started.
The analogy is not an "appropriate battery" but a CESSNA battery.
If you think that DJI are the only company that can make a safe LiPo then millions of hours of RC flying has just been plumb lucky

It IS financial, but so what? don't try and wrap it in a "safety" wrapper that's just excreta from a male bovine. They have the market power to do it and the are... no biggy and I have no problem with it. It's a bit "poor form" but meh it is what it is.

From a safety point of view, you can put any battery you like in your Cessna, you just wear the consequences. (which BTW aren't fall out of the sky as you suggest).
2016-3-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-27 14:49
I think you may be missing the point here.

I'm certainly not suggesting that an inferior battery s ...

The overall flying system of the Phantom relies to a very large extent on information passed back to the system from the intelligent battery. For a non-DJI battery, who is to say that the processor in the battery is up to the task of calculating the battery capacity correctly? Given that a lot of issues arise from battery factors, i would not trust a battery that was no under my quality control, and I figure DJI would not either.
2016-3-26
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-27 14:21
The overall flying system of the Phantom relies to a very large extent on information passed back  ...

We've been here before on another thread Geebax,
Who is to say it isn't  up to it?
It's about choice and consequences...
I don't see the harm in letting people choose and accepting the consequences. But it's not about that, it's locking in a revenue stream for DJI and I don't see the harm in that either (because they can).
2016-3-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-27 15:28
We've been here before on another thread Geebax,
Who is to say it isn't  up to it?
It's about cho ...

'Who is to say it isn't  up to it?'

OK, who is to say it is up to the task? If I was a DJI software designer, I would not be keen to know that there was a potentially unsafe battery out there. What should I do about it? Test all after-market batteries to see if they are up to spec? Or perhaps just take the easiest approach and reject it. Exactly the same way Sony rejects counterfeit Infolithium batteries in their gear.

Why should DJI provide you with choice? They don't have to. They really don't care about choice, it is a Chinese company after all. There is no law saying they have to give people choice. If two or three people get upset about it, why would they care?

One could give two or three equally compelling arguments to oppose your view that it is locking in a revenue stream.

I do find it interesting that so many people here get indignant about choices that DJI make, and I am not saying you are one of them, but they feel it is somehow their right to have a say in what DJI do. They completely fail to realise that DJI will pick the good ideas out of those suggestions and completely ignore the rest, because it is not some democratic process that purchasers have some divine given right to participate in. It is a company in Communist China, and really, while they love taking your money, it is their charter to become the largest economy in the world and tip the US out of its prime position.
2016-3-26
Use props
bob.lionel.gmai
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89551 ft
  • >>>

golf_sierra@lib Posted at 2016-3-26 23:28
I see it like sidtx. No-name batteries may go up in flames while charging or in-flight or may damag ...

Cessna's don't need a battery for flying. Just for starting the engine.
2016-3-26
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

bob.lionel.gmai Posted at 2016-3-27 02:04
Cessna's don't need a battery for flying. Just for starting the engine.

Perhaps I should have used a more interesting example.  Perhaps one even more relevant to the LiPo experience.

Boeing 787.    anyone remember those battery issues?  For those of you that don't,  the batteries grounded a world-wide fleet until a safe enclosure could be created and installed.

sid
2016-3-27
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

The Chinese knockoff battery works beautifully without a 3rd party app...or any app. Just straight remote to bird and it works as well as my DJI batteries. The downfall to it all is...no app, no pics or video.
2016-3-27
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-27 15:43
'Who is to say it isn't  up to it?'

OK, who is to say it is up to the task? If I was a DJI softwa ...

A competent engineer wouldn't design a system that was so fragile. Quality after-market batteries are everywhere for all sorts of devices (including Cessnas).  DJI don't have to do anything to test them it's on the manufacturer and the buyer of them if it voids warranty then so be it. DJI have chosen to lock in this lucrative revenue stream - good on them! that's business, it's a business decision.  

What's so bad about locking in revenue? DJI are in business the goal is to give a return to the shareholders, s. Sony do it for the same reason, as do Lenovo and Apple (with the lightning cable)
you seem to struggle with that concept that DJI are in it for profit and there's nothing wrong with that! you seem to believe the only valid reason they are doing it is for altruistic safety reason. What I find hard to understand are the devotees that believe their company of choice, ((such as the Ford/Holden cults in our country) can do no wrong and every decision must be for the benefit of their devotees.
2016-3-27
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

FAS1 Posted at 2016-3-28 03:13
The Chinese knockoff battery works beautifully without a 3rd party app...or any app. Just straight r ...

Thank goodness DJI are protecting us from such things eh?

I feel much safer being protected from this problem that doesn't exist, much the same way the FAA seem to be protecting Americans from the scourge of drones it seems.   
2016-3-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-28 09:47
A competent engineer wouldn't design a system that was so fragile. Quality after-market batteries  ...

No, I am under no such illusion, as you probably did not read my last post fully. They are a Chinese company, they can do anything they like and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Your only choice is to buy or not buy, simples.
2016-3-27
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

sidtx Posted at 2016-3-27 23:40
Perhaps I should have used a more interesting example.  Perhaps one even more relevant to the LiPo ...

Yep and those were the batteries installed by the manufacturer, not a third party knock-off
2016-3-27
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-28 09:25
No, I am under no such illusion, as you probably did not read my last post fully. They are a Chine ...

Did I even imply otherwise?
They are exercising their market force, so what?
All I'm saying is just don't misinterpret it as a move to protect anyone as your previous posts  clearly did.

Oh and by the way not that it applies in this instance, at least in Oz, any company trading here must comply with Australian consumer law. So yes they can "do whatever they like" but accept the consequences like everyone does.
2016-3-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-28 11:41
Did I even imply otherwise?
They are exercising their market force, so what?
All I'm saying is ju ...

'Oh and by the way not that it applies in this instance, at least in Oz, any company trading here must comply with Australian consumer law. So yes they can "do whatever they like" but accept the consequences like everyone does.'

Yes, true.But DJI do not trade here, so it does not matter. They are an import, and as such the only person responsible for them are the importers of the product.

'All I'm saying is just don't misinterpret it as a move to protect anyone as your previous posts  clearly did.'

Why not? My 'erroneous' viewpoint is just as valid as your 'erroneous' viewpoint in the absence of any concrete proof one way or the other.

2016-3-27
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-28 11:04
'Oh and by the way not that it applies in this instance, at least in Oz, any company trading here  ...

Sure bloke,
except there is no evidence anywhere I'm aware of that anyone has ever had a problem beyond the lockout with third party batteries.
DJI do trade in Australia you can order directly off their website for Australian supply, this binds them to Australian consumer law for those products sold into here.

You'll obviously never be convinced that DJI aren't acting in a purely altruistic "safety first" motive. You'll have a hard time convincing me they were, without any concrete evidence there was a problem in the first place.
Lets agree to disagree and move on.
2016-3-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-28 12:31
Sure bloke,
except there is no evidence anywhere I'm aware of that anyone has ever had a problem be ...

'DJI do trade in Australia you can order directly off their website for Australian supply, this binds them to Australian consumer law for those products sold into here.'

No, it does not. They do not exist as a company in Australia, irrespective of whether they supply or deliver products here, and on that basis our consumer law has no effect on them. Australian consumer legislation is not able to reach out and impact overseas companies.
2016-3-27
Use props
water0106
Banned

Singapore

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-28
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-28 14:11
'DJI do trade in Australia you can order directly off their website for Australian supply, this bi ...

*Sigh* at least do your research before posting.
It applies, it's difficult (maybe impossible in some instances) to enforce but it applies.
From the ACCC
Shopping online
Online businesses selling goods and services must:
ensure products and services meet Australian safety regulations
not mislead you or hide costs and other details from you
compete fairly to ensure a variety of choices on quality and price
give you automatic guarantees with the right to ask for a repair, replacement, refund, cancellation or compensation as appropriate if there is a problem
have the right to sell you a product–it mustn’t be stolen and must belong to the business or individual and not come with any outstanding debts.
Shopping online with an overseas business
If you buy from an online seller based overseas, you should be aware that you may experience practical difficulties in obtaining a remedy from them.

Our Scamwatch website provides tips on how to spot online shopping scams (link is external).

Also, you should be aware of your rights when buying parallel imports online (i.e. products that you buy from a seller who does not have specific permission from the manufacturer to sell those products in the Australian marketplace).

from Choice
"Australia's consumer protection laws provide recourse for online shoppers irrespective of whether the seller is based in Australia or overseas," we argued. "[It's just that] the enforcement of these laws may be more difficult to pursue when the seller is located overseas."

Off topic now, but by all means keep flogging that dead horse if you wish, I shan't be.

Happy flying to you, we should spend more time at the controls and less time on keyboards IMHO.
2016-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-29 11:30
*Sigh* at least do your research before posting.
It applies, it's difficult (maybe impossible in s ...

"[It's just that] the enforcement of these laws may be more difficult to pursue when the seller is located overseas."

And there is the key. The ACCC has no power whatsoever over overseas companies, none. They cannot initiate action against them, and that goes double when the company is situated in China, which is not a signatory to any conventions on fair trading.

That whole piece you copied from the ACCC web site only applies to compaines trading on the Internet who are based in Australia.

Yeas, I dids my research.

2016-3-28
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-29 10:45
" the enforcement of these laws may be more difficult to pursue when the seller is located overseas ...

Uhhhhmmm no you didn't, they still apply.

Just seem to have your "grumpy old man" pants on, but that's OK, the world needs grumpy old men too.
2016-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-29 12:26
Uhhhhmmm no you didn't, they still apply.

Just seem to have your "grumpy old man" pants on, but t ...

Just let me ask you one thing. How many times have you had to pursue a claim against a Chinese company when they dudded you out of something you purchased?

In my case, it has happened to me once, and I was told by my solicitor that there was no chance of chasing the supplier in China, and when asked if the government could do anything, the answer was an emphatic no.
2016-3-28
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-29 12:09
Just let me ask you one thing. How many times have you had to pursue a claim against a Chinese com ...

In fairness to the OP we are wayy off topic here, happy to take it offline if you wanna PM me
2016-3-28
Use props
fansbb1c909b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 230203 ft

United States

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-28 18:40
In fairness to the OP we are wayy off topic here, happy to take it offline if you wanna PM me

If DJI was making their batteries proprietary for safety reason, this would have been engineered and built into their drone systems before they sold the first drone to anyone. Instead, after the fact, the build a screw into their firmware so conveniently a couple of years after their products have taken the lead in this industry.
I have three flight batteries that are now paperweights, by design. They worked perfectly before DJI prevented them from functioning-- my P3P isn't under warranty because it was a wreck when I bought it, and I've now rebuilt it twice. Any aftermarket maker of flight batteries bears the same legal liability as does DJI if one of their batteries should be the cause of personal injury or property damage due to any defect in material or workmanship. DJI is in if for  the money
2017-8-28
Use props
fansbb1c909b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 230203 ft

United States

Mike_fnq Posted at 2016-3-28 18:40

If DJI was making their batteries proprietary for safety reason, this would have been engineered and built into their drone systems before they sold the first drone to anyone. Instead, after the fact, the build a screw into their firmware so conveniently a couple of years after their products have taken the lead in this industry.
I have three flight batteries that are now paperweights, by design. They worked perfectly before DJI prevented them from functioning-- my P3P isn't under warranty because it was a wreck when I bought it, and I've now rebuilt it twice. Any aftermarket maker of flight batteries bears the same legal liability as does DJI if one of their batteries should be the cause of personal injury or property damage due to any defect in material or workmanship. DJI is in if for  the money
2017-8-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

sidtx Posted at 2016-3-27 05:40
Perhaps I should have used a more interesting example.  Perhaps one even more relevant to the LiPo experience.

Boeing 787.    anyone remember those battery issues?  For those of you that don't,  the batteries grounded a world-wide fleet until a safe enclosure could be created and installed.

You have simplified what was a high risk error on Boeing's part ... it had nothing to do with who manufactured the batterys or their worth ... it was a design fault of the system ...

As another says - there are millions of LiPo's out there flying far larger models and far faster / potentially dangerous 'machetes' of rotor blades / propellers than a Phantom !!

People please - get with reality !!   DJI have chosen to design a battery that an 'idiot' can use and lessen the risk of comeback on them. The fact the battery has 'quoted' functions that in fact are limited by the control board fitted and in fact fail to work as quoted ... is ignored.

Second the batterys are what is termed 'consumable renewable revenue'. They constitute a reasonable income to DJI ...

Nigel
2017-8-28
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-28 18:09
Just let me ask you one thing. How many times have you had to pursue a claim against a Chinese company when they dudded you out of something you purchased?

In my case, it has happened to me once, and I was told by my solicitor that there was no chance of chasing the supplier in China, and when asked if the government could do anything, the answer was an emphatic no.

Now you twist the argument away from the core ...

ALL Countries Consumer legislation has the power to stop / interrupt imported items offered for sale.

Whether the seller 'offshore' can be prosecuted is not the point. The point is the Consumer Law does cover any item imported for sale into a country.

Nigel
2017-8-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-8-28 07:16
Now you twist the argument away from the core ...

ALL Countries Consumer legislation has the power to stop / interrupt imported items offered for sale.

If the selling entity does not exist in the country in question as a corporate identity, then explain how consumer law can have any effect.
2017-8-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules