Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Start in Free Fall
2695 19 2016-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

As we all know if you put the contollers at 5 oclock and 7 oclock the engines shut off.  It is probably not a good idea to do this if you are more than 1 inch above the ground.  Question if you turn off the engine at say 100m above the ground and go into a free fall can you restart the engines during the free fall and regain contriol?   Has anyone tried it?

2016-3-20
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-20 15:43
Once and only once have I done such a thing, not sure if it would work every time, but in theory, ye ...

I know it rights itself if you put it upside down.  Turn it on fly to 6 feet, hover and then grab the bottom and flip the quad upside down it will flip back over and hover again.  
2016-3-20
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

I have only done this in the simulator and it worked as I had the same question.
2016-3-20
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-20 15:50
Read above, I elaborated my story a little more so it makes more sense.  But yes, you can CSC and  ...

thanks I am not sure i have the guts to do this yet.  I was looking for a good shot into a canyon today fast spin shut motors, drop, restart but could not bring myself to try it.  

2016-3-20
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

Nink Posted at 2016-3-20 16:09
thanks I am not sure i have the guts to do this yet.  I was looking for a good shot into a canyon  ...

Don't lol, warranty will be void if it does crash due to this stunt.  
2016-3-20
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-21 04:12
Into a canyon?  May not be the best idea, if you fall, and lost signal,... Woooo.. You'd regret th ...

Bryan, is there anything out there you haven't done with a drone yet?   
2016-3-20
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

mrGREEK360 Posted at 2016-3-20 20:12
Don't lol, warranty will be void if it does crash due to this stunt.

The perfect shot or protect your warranty.  Do you still have the box your drone came in?  Well pack it back up, because you purchased your drone for all the wrong reasons.
2016-3-20
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-20 22:36
Let's see... If bounced a p1 off a rock cliff at about 70 feet into a large pool of water.
I've cra ...

Nice:  and I bet not once did you say "would this void my warranty"  :-)  
2016-3-20
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I wonder,  though,  if the Phantom were upside down when you tried csc,  would it work?  Because I have seen several post where the Phantom flipped over and the op did a csc to stop the motors and it did not work.  I don't think I'll be testing this myself,  just wondering if you did a csc at 500 meters,  waited a bit for the drone to fall and then did csc to restart,  would it if it were upside down at the time?
2016-3-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Nink Posted at 2016-3-21 04:09
thanks I am not sure i have the guts to do this yet.  I was looking for a good shot into a canyon  ...

Kind of like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane!!

And for those so inclined to want to know how long it would take your bird to drop 200'...it would be approx 3.5 seconds....give or take a fraction of a second...so doing a CSC in that time to stop and another to start the engines in that time is going to be....kind of....tricky....

Check out the splat calculator (splatulator!).....https://www.angio.net/personal/climb/speed
2016-3-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-3-21 14:19
I wonder,  though,  if the Phantom were upside down when you tried csc,  would it work?  Because I h ...

In those situations you mention, when the aircraft has flipped upside down and does not appear to be responding to the CSC, I reckon it is because the aircraft is trying to right itself. There is a video somewhere in which a guy deliberately flips a Phantom upside down with his hands while it is flying, and it immediately rights itself.

Edit: I found the clip, take a look at this:

2016-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-21 16:02
In those situations you mention, when the aircraft has flipped upside down and does not appear to  ...

Yep,
Here you go...
2016-3-21
Use props
duritsch22
lvl.2

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-3-21 14:13
Kind of like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane!!

And for those so inclined to want to know  ...

so doing a CSC in that time to stop and another to start the engines in that time is going to be....kind of....tricky....
2016-3-21
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Also worth noting in the new fw 1.7 csc is now left stick bottom right corner and press RTH. Works much faster than both sticks down to inside corners as well. Mine shut off really fast compared to the old command.
2016-3-21
Use props
pfalcon
lvl.1

United States

What I don't understand...  Why don't these drones that appear to be so adept at righting themselves when turned upside-down, etc. recover when a bird strikes?
2016-3-21
Use props
Craig Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 168445 ft
United Kingdom

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-20 20:12
Into a canyon?  May not be the best idea, if you fall, and lost signal,... Woooo.. You'd regret th ...

That sort of brings me to another question I often think about by have never asked.

If you start on the top of a canyon and descend into the canyon, does RTH still function as normal?  I guess if you set the RTH alltitude at 30m and descent 200 meters it will climb 230m to start RTH?

Sorry for the hijack.
2016-3-21
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

A bird strike is usually different because there is usually prop damage.  That makes it much more difficult for the Phantom.
Yes,  if you fly below home point and initiate  rth,  the Phantom will still climb to rth altitude and go home,  so long as home point is more than 20 horizontal meters away.  
2016-3-21
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-20 15:42
I have actually, with my p3pro... And It pulled out, I was at about 200 feet when I did it.   The si ...

I had something similar happen, my phantom 2 was inches from the ground when it righted itself, at one point it was upside down at full throttle. I too thought it was all over.
2016-3-21
Use props
wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Craig Rogers Posted at 2016-3-21 15:41
That sort of brings me to another question I often think about by have never asked.

If you start  ...

That is a perfect off-topic hijack but, if you set your home point at the take off point  top of the canyon, the bird will fly up to the RTH altitude you set, which will be eg 30 metres above your original take off point.  Being in the canyon below take off height is irrelevant.

I often fly down a hill and see my altitude show as a negative number.
2016-3-21
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2016-3-21 10:36
Let's see... If bounced a p1 off a rock cliff at about 70 feet into a large pool of water.
I've cra ...

Dam!!

2016-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules